Stuff you're embarrassed to admit you're afraid of.

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
My kids recently laughed at me when I admitted that I'm afraid of catfish, even after I explained why. When I was a kid, we used to go to the local catfish farm for dinner when we visited my grandparents in Mississippi. We'd always go at night and we had to walk on a wooden walkway that was suspended just above the catfish pond to get to the restaurant. If you looked down into the pond the catfish looked huge and creepy plus they glowed which made them look creepier. I was scared that if I fell in they'd attack me.

C'mon, fess up. What embarrassing thing are you afraid of?

I'm not afraid to admit it, but I'm scared as hell of getting on a boat unless it's a boat at a Disney park. Even if somebody offered me a free cruise somewhere, I'd say no way!

Big scary spider? Give me a shoe and I will kill it...unless it's a wolf spider (I've caught those in the house and set them free outside...they move fast, but they're cute and eat lots of bugs and aren't scary). Snake in the yard? Give me a shovel and I'll kill that, too (unless it's a rattle snake...then I'd call the fire department). Lizard? If a lizard's in the house, I'd catch him and set him free (lizards are always named Larry, by the way). One time about 10 years ago, I found a poisonous centipede in the house...killed that, too, and tossed it outside.

But a boat? No frickin' way, man. If you invite me to go fishing out on your boat, I'll say no thanks.

Not really a fear, but I startle and scream very easily. Last week I needed an X-ray of my wrist. I was waiting in the radiology waiting room at the hospital playing a game on my phone. When the lady walked in and called my name I jumped, shrieked, and dropped my phone on the ground...so embarrassing. Sometimes if I’m at the sink washing dishes and my husband walks in the kitchen and starts to say something to me I jump and scream. I have no idea why, I’m not a fearful person in general, I’m actually one of the most calm people I know about actual dangers, but boy if you say something to me when I’m not expecting it watch out 😂

One time about 10 years ago, I found a poisonous centipede in the house...killed that, too, and tossed it outside.

Was it one of those ridiculously creepy things?
20200507_151638.jpg Found one of these guys on the curtain at a rental house we stayed about before buying a house here. We moved to Texas from the Northeast a few months ago and I've seen so many ginormous bugs I didn't even know existed. Tarantulas my kids could put saddles on, scorpions in all sizes and colors, biggest crickets I've ever seen. I'm ok as long as they don't come in the house, that's where I draw the line and things gets squished.

Not really a fear, but I startle and scream very easily. Last week I needed an X-ray of my wrist. I was waiting in the radiology waiting room at the hospital playing a game on my phone. When the lady walked in and called my name I jumped, shrieked, and dropped my phone on the ground...so embarrassing. Sometimes if I’m at the sink washing dishes and my husband walks in the kitchen and starts to say something to me I jump and scream. I have no idea why, I’m not a fearful person in general, I’m actually one of the most calm people I know about actual dangers, but boy if you say something to me when I’m not expecting it watch out 😂
YES! I do this all the time at home and my husband thinks I am crazy. If I am folding laundry in our room and he comes up behind me I will for sure jump-even when I know people are home. Makes no sense.

The dark.... :confused3 I am a 45 yo mother of an adult child and I'm still scared of the dark. :sad2: DD sleeps in her room, completely black with the door closed(since she was teeny tiny...lol) and her mother has to sleep with her door open and a light on somewhere I can at least see the glow from my bed. :laughing:

I also don't like it too quiet...I have to have some noise, like a fan going or I have a sleep sound app I use to call asleep. I set the timer for an hour but if i wake up after that hour I have to restart it again to fall back asleep.

I also don't care for mother nature....thunder, lightening, really strong winds....

I'm kind of a scary cat....:rolleyes1

Clowns, heights, any and all creepy crawly things and fish.

The dark, heights, being alone, and driving. I do drive, but I am always afraid I am going to get into a horrific accident. I have been in a few, so the fear is valid.

Dogs, mainly when they are without a leash. A dog running towards me or jumping at me... Yes, I know they just want to play, or are curious, but they are loud and unpredictable. Size does matter a bit, the bigger the dog, the more scared I am. I'm slightly okay with small dogs (although, they bark more and louder)
When I walk in the park and I see a person with a dog, I first try to look for a leash, then judging what kind of dog it is, will it be friendly, how is the owner behaving. Some owners can spot from a mile away that I am scared (possible because I sometimes stop and turn around :P ), and call their dog, make sure the dog stays with them while we pass each other. Some owners are not as considerate, they only call their dog when I am half way op the tree ;-)
As most dogs (I've met) sniff your hands first when they reach you, I made it a habit to put my hands in my pockets the moment I see a dog. Only the other day, that made a dog run up to me even faster, as her owner told me she puts treats in her pocket...

The thing is, it's not all the time. There are days I am braver and I can handle it. It's not as bad that I avoid going to the park.

Was it one of those ridiculously creepy things?
View attachment 515711 Found one of these guys on the curtain at a rental house we stayed about before buying a house here. We moved to Texas from the Northeast a few months ago and I've seen so many ginormous bugs I didn't even know existed. Tarantulas my kids could put saddles on, scorpions in all sizes and colors, biggest crickets I've ever seen. I'm ok as long as they don't come in the house, that's where I draw the line and things gets squished.

Yes! It was one of those.

Squirrels.
When I was younger used to have nightmare about them.
And now they steal my tomatoes.Horrible creatures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter