Suggestions needed - taking luggage to the airport the evening before our flight

d'Isigny

WDW/DCL Dreaming
First of all, thank you for your post/replies...you've made our past trips and future one...soooo easy to plan.

We are a family of five..with three young DD's. Our flight from Arizona is at 0615a on Saturday the 11th - via Southwest. Am trying to 'make it easier' by taking our luggage to the airport Friday evening...would appreciate your suggestions-comments on this idea.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean making the trip into the airport, storing your luggage and driving home again? Sounds like alot of work to me. I would just bring it with you the morning of departure, then you won't have to take the time to retrieve it out of storage that morning.

I doubt the airlines will allow you to check in luggage that early, especially with the security that is in place now.

I believe 4 hours is the maximum time ahead you can check luggage. With a 6:15 am flight, how about staying at an airport hotel? I would check with the airline or airport to see what time Southwest's counter or curbside opens in the morning.

Southwest will not accept baggage more than two hours ahead of the flight's scheduled departure. Here is a portion from their "Contract of Carriage":

55. Checking of Baggage

Carrier will accept baggage for checking from a fare-paying passenger when tendered to Carrier no earlier than two (2) hours in advance of flight departure time at Carrier’s airport ticket counter or curb-side checkin station, or at an earlier time on the day of commencement of travel as may be authorized by Carrier’s Employees at the departure airport. Carrier will not check baggage tendered:
to a point beyond the destination indicated on the passenger’s ticket;
to an intermediate stop or connection point; or
on any flight other than a flight on which the passenger is scheduled to travel; however, solely at Carrier’s discretion, baggage tendered by a standby passenger may be checked on the next available flight or flights to the standby passenger’s intended destination.
Carrier will not check and hold baggage for a flight to be operated on a later date

Here is the link from which the above was copied:

http://www.southwestair.com/travel_center/contract_of_carriage.html#CheckingofBaggage

You will have to make another plan. As others have mentioned, there is no place to store luggage overnight at the airport due to security concerns.

Enjoy your trip!

Most major airlines are either four hours or six hours -- none longer.

We're staying in the hotel at the airport the night before we leave because of an early departure time. That way we're not so rushed, and it makes the start of the vacation just a little more special.

The earliest you can check in for a flight is six hours prior (and with some carriers it's as few as two). You can't check luggage until you check in, so this wont' work.

I'd like to offer a suggestion though--pack a single bag with everything you'll need for that night and the next morning, and dont even open any of the others. In fact depending on the area, just leave them in the trunk of your car.

We did this this past summer, and even dumped the dirty laundry in the car trunk before we took the shuttle to the airport the next morning.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter