Summer hair, don't care

What climate are you coming from? I’ve never had my hair get frizzy at DL, but I live on the California coast, so maybe I’m used to it? Anyway, you may not have any issues

I have waist length thick hair that never wants to be truly curly but is too curly to be called wavy... I either straighten it before I go and touch up with dry shampoo and wear it in a straight ponytail (I can easily go 4 days without washing my hair most of the time) or I just wear it in a braided ponytail or a bun. Now I add minnie ears on top most of the time too when I have ones that don't squeeze my brain too hard.

Last edited:
I have fine hair with a little bit of wave. What that means is that it only takes one roller coaster ride and it’s in a knot only lots of conditioner can get out. Like others have said I usually go for a single French braid or 2 French braids. I’m currently in the process of growing my bangs out for a 7 day WDW trip- my bangs always look like a mess after rides so I’m growing them out so they can be part of my braids.

Have you tried CO-washing or the "Curly Girl Method"? My hair is SOOOOO much easier to deal with now that I CO-wash only, both at, and away, from Disneyland.

Other than CO-washing, I've learned to start embracing the messy bun, and wearing hats and visors.

As a pp noted, making sure my hair is well conditioned before hitting the parks really helps -- the better condition my hair is in, the less frizzing and craziness there is to deal with. I usually have a travel size leave-in conditioner in my park bag for any little emergencies like ride-induced tangles. And super gentle shampoo and a good conditioner back at the hotel help, too -- be as kind to your hair as possible on park trips. It just makes life easier. Aveda products are my go-to: lots of different products for different weather conditions, lots of travel sizes, and very friendly salespeople to help with all my questions. And you can usually get samples, too. Also, I keep hair scrunchies in my pockets and in my park bag -- when all else fails, a messy bun can always come to the rescue!

Last edited:
What climate are you coming from? I’ve never had my hair get frizzy at DL, but I live on the California coast, so maybe I’m used to it? Anyway, you may not have any issues
I am in Portland which is a completely different climate. I just know from past experiences in California and Nevada, that if I am sweaty, I am poofy, even with low humidity. lol No where near as bad as Florida though. I had it figured out in Florida though and my natural hair really kind of looked great there. Very strange.

No matter how hard I try to get my hair looking great, midway through the day it always looks a mess at Disney. I’ve embraced the ponytail or Disney baseball cap look and feel 100% okay with it. I end up enjoying myself more because I don’t find myself glancing in every mirror we walk by trying to fix my hair/feeling self-conscious about it.

“We’re having a heatwave a tropical heatwave.”

It’s in the 90’s in CT. Thunderstorms for days. By Saturday, 99 degrees. My hair is hideous.

Ball cap with my ponytail hanging out the back. But that's standard for me year-round. No one would recognize me otherwise!
No matter how hard I try to get my hair looking great, midway through the day it always looks a mess at Disney. I’ve embraced the ponytail or Disney baseball cap look and feel 100% okay with it. I end up enjoying myself more because I don’t find myself glancing in every mirror we walk by trying to fix my hair/feeling self-conscious about it.
So what do you do when you go on rides? Take the cap off? I have FOHH (Fear of Hat Head lol)

I live down here and have the same kind of thick, wavy hair that puffs up in humidity. So far this summer has been BONE DRY and my hair is very, very flat. I use L'Oreal Ever Sleek shampoo and conditioner and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine serum. I flat iron if necessary, but lately I have not even needed to do that. When I visit the parks, I don't do anything differently. My hair isn't long enough to pull up (it's a bob) but I do bring a hat and throw it on if I ride water rides or start feeling sweaty (hasn't happened yet this year with our mild temps...it has only been in the low 80s as highs so far).

Long hair, used to do french braid pigtails. Kept it out of the face and looked nice.
Short hair now, in my case, I don't do anything to let it curl naturally. Minnie ears or the hat are the saver here.

So what do you do when you go on rides? Take the cap off? I have FOHH (Fear of Hat Head lol)

I never take it off! Although recently they started asking me to take it off on California Screamin' (Now Incredicoaster). I take it off in the loading area and then put it back on as soon as we leave the dock. Shhhhhhh. Because I have my ponytail through it and keep my head straight (not tilted back), the wind doesn't whip under the brim and threaten to push it off my head.

I have found that the bumble finishing spray withstands all humidity thrown at it though so could be useful if you want it to keep a certain texture!
I need my hair off my shoulders when it gets really humid and don't want to spend a lot of time HOT styling it only for it to either frizz or wilt, so count me in for the messy sort-of-bun look. I got a good cut and some high and low lights that look really pretty, no matter how my hair is styled.

I have been trying different Bumble and Bumble products and this summer am using Surf Spray. It adds some texture to your hair and a little bit of hold (its not hair spray though). I like it because my hair doesn't frizz up and I can go without a lot of styling product/time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!