Sun Damage: Protect Yourself and Your Children......

SaintMolly

Earning My Ears
Hi,
My family and I are going to be in Disney 5/19 and we will be taking with us plenty of sun block, hats and glasses. I hope by sharing this with you that I can help you prevent what has happened to my friend. My friend was diagnosed with Melanoma 3 years ago. We have been friends since we were sixteen and she was my best friend. Yes, she died this past May and she was only 30 years old. Yesterday I was told my son has to have a mole removed because it is Pre- Melanoma and this means if we do not take it off it will someday turn into Melanoma. My friend was 5 months pregnant and all she wanted was to have a baby and live a happy and healthy life. What she did not know then and what I did not know was that a little mole can kill you if it is not removed. Sun burns are not the only thing that can cause this but just driving in your car or walking to and from your car into a store or your home. The rays build up in your skin over time and with the way the Ozone layer is we need to protect ourselves. Please take care of yourself and your children and visit a Dermatolagist once a year for a full body exam.

Thank You.

[This message was edited by SaintMolly on 03-21-01 at 08:12 AM.]

Just wanted to add just had my yearly check up at the dermatologist. I also had a pre-melanoma removed last year. She tells me that our children will have a very high rate of skin cancer. We wear sunscreen every day, even in the winter! My doctor said she currently was treating two 40 year olds who were also dying of MM. She said when they came in for their check-up she thought "what were you thinking, why didn't you come in sooner", very black atypical moles. But for people who like to tan and lie out in the sun, this will have no impact at all. They just won't get it until it is too late.

Sorry about the loss of your friend.

[This message was edited by Kallison on 03-20-01 at 09:44 PM.]

Thank You!

I am glad to see that you are taking care of yourself and I hope that some how people will learn that laying in the sun is not a smart thing to do just like smoking is bad for you.

Keep using that sunscreen!

SaintMolly ;)

[This message was edited by SaintMolly on 03-21-01 at 09:55 AM.]

Also be careful when you don't think you are in the sun. Last year, I was sitting at a table under an umbrella. I thought I was totally covered by the umbrella because I could not see any place that the sun was hitting me. As I sat there for a few hours and the sun moved, my back was exposed to the sun. I had sunblock on, but didn't reapply it, since I wasn't in the sun. I was wearing a swim suit and ended up with a totally burned back, blisters and everything. It still hurts to think about it.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I am very sorry about the loss of your friend. I'm glad you brought up this very important point. I always wear sunscreen (and a hat at Disney - I find the Florida sun gets to my fact even with a sunblock). I am constantly amazed at the people I see walking around Disney with short sleeves, shorts, and the worst sunburn I've seen. Or the bald men without hats. It's even worse at the water parks. Thank you for pointing out to people how very important sun protection really is.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to shield young skin from the strong Florida sun. We always keep and use 45 SPF sunscreen on our youngsters. And I use nothing less than 30 on myself when we go to WDW. Sun damage is no fun.

Bart

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Its so tragic. I not only worry about myself, and my whole family, but especially my 4 y.o. dd. She is a redhead with blue eyes, and very, very fair skin. She has gotten burned in the past, even with sunscreen on! I have to be very persistent with the applying of sunscreen, or else she will get a burn, and I worry about what it will turn into when she's older. My dad has the same features as her, and has had several things removed from his ears and nose. I don't want that to happen to her.

14a.gif

'84-Offsite
'95-DxL
'97-WL
'00-PO
'01-DxL
'02-DVC??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter