SunPass?

carengalletta

Earning My Ears
I saw someone here mentioned getting a SunPass and I started looking into it, but can’t figure out if it would be helpful to get one coming from South Alabama. We will be taking I-10 to I-75 to 91 (FL Turnpike), to 429. Does anyone know if the SunPass will work on the roads from I-75 to WDW?

Thank you!!

The only Tolls you will have are for the Turnpike and that just one Plaza. and on 429. The Sunpass will work there as well. We use it every trip and it works great. What part of South Alabama?

32 Days and counting till the Fort...

The only Tolls you will have are for the Turnpike and that just one Plaza. and on 429. The Sunpass will work there as well. We use it every trip and it works great. What part of South Alabama?

32 Days and counting till the Fort...

Thanks for the info!!

We’re in Orange Beach!

You can also look at getting a E-PASS instead of the sunpass. It also works on all the toll roads in Florida Georgia and north Carolina.

Transponders from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina now work in all three states. In Georgia, SunPass can be used now on Interstate 85 express lanes in Atlanta, and soon on up to 40 miles of new express lanes on I-75. In North Carolina, it can be used on the Triangle Expressway in the Raleigh area.

I'm one of those that has advocated for getting a SunPass if you are a regular/frequent visitor to Central/South Florida.

The SunPass works on the Turnpike all the way from Wildwood (near Ocala) down to the Homestead exit south of Miami. It works all over central Florida on the other toll roads (Orlando Airport, Cape Canaveral, Hwy 429 way into WDW). I've also used it on toll roads/bridges around Tampa.

Even if you only use it to WDW and back from I75, I like not have to stop completely to pay the toll each way (you slow down but don't stop). True, the turnpike portion is only one tollbooth and Hwy 429 one or two more (but at highway speeds). It makes me feel like a Florida native as I line up the approach for the SunPass lanes then roll through.

E-Pass is a Central Florida prepaid toll pass and while there is reciprocity with other toll roads in other states, I've never had a problem with SunPass all over the state of Florida. SunPass also offers a discount over using cash for the toll costs.

At one time early one the Central Florida Toll Authority folks (whatever their acronym is) created E-Pass. The Turnpike Authority created SunPass. Does it really matter?

SunPass is sold at the Florida Welcome Centers all over the state (I95, I75, I10, Hwy231 into Florida) and sells the SunPass mini tranponder in vending machine inside the centers. (all over the state of FL too). Last time I got one was a few months ago (had replaced windshield on TV)

20180311_123518.jpg

there was a young person with a laptop working at the Welcome Center to activate it for you during business hours. The SunPass transponder is $5 you put on your windshield then you prepay whatever amount you want and set a minimum reload threshold and amount to add. Come into the Welcome Center with your VIN, license TV plate number, and trailer license plate number.

So for the $5 sunk cost and about $20 sitting in the account, I roll through the tolls rather than line up, creep, stop/start, and then accelerate away nice and slow. If you ever want to go to the Keys or Miami area, there are no tollbooths there - it's either SunPass or they snap a photo of your license plate and send you a bill in the USMail at a higher cost than SunPass.

I'd say it works pretty well.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Bama Ed

Last edited:
As others have said, the convenience is fantastic although to be fair, depending on where you are going, you might not even need it. There are quite a few toll roads around Orlando but if you are just going on the 75, you can simply avoid them.

We've had one for about 10 years now. I like to think that I'm saving a fortune on gas not having to stop / go at the tolls!

It's $5 for the "sticker" type transponder & $20 for the portable one with suction cups. If you think you might be traveling in different vehicles, then I'd spring for the portable one. You can't reuse the sticker transponder if you remove it from your windshield.

I'm from near Destin, and if you occasionally drive over from Orange Beach, there are several bridges that you can use it on over here, too.

We just ordered our new portable transponder. We had the sticker for a couple of years but I just recently traded my truck. We absolutely love having SunPass. The first time having to stop at the toll booths and then having to merge back into moving traffic :eek:...……..they are totally worth it.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Steve

It's $5 for the "sticker" type transponder & $20 for the portable one with suction cups. If you think you might be traveling in different vehicles, then I'd spring for the portable one. You can't reuse the sticker transponder if you remove it from your windshield.

I'm from near Destin, and if you occasionally drive over from Orange Beach, there are several bridges that you can use it on over here, too.

FWIW, we've had the sticker one for about 10 years now and it's now in it's fourth or fifth vehicle and it works fine (at the time we bought it they only had the sticker and a much more expensive model (which I believe isn't supported anymore)). I only peeled the corners off ours so was able to transfer it from car to car.

FWIW, we've had the sticker one for about 10 years now and it's now in it's fourth or fifth vehicle and it works fine (at the time we bought it they only had the sticker and a much more expensive model (which I believe isn't supported anymore)). I only peeled the corners off ours so was able to transfer it from car to car.

That's great that you were able to peel it off! The older transponders that had displays were pretty expensive, from what I remember.

I've never had any luck peeling one. It breaks the antenna piece in it when you peel them off.
9 days till we leave for the fort... I will be so glad when this Hurricane passes so I can check on my motorhome.

I know everybody wants their money. I make 2 trips to the airport from the fort every trip. I have an I-pass (Illinois) which works with EasyPass. I just blow through the one section that wants SunPass. Sometimes they send me a letter when I get home asking for $3.00, sometimes not. Not really worth trying to be legal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!