Supermarkets in the Area

iankh

It's never done till it's overdone
After many trips, we are, this upcoming trip going to go to the supermarket.

The only supermarket I have ever been to in the area is Goodings, in the Crossroads shopping center.

Now when it comes to supermarkets, I'm very picky. Here in the Chicago ares, I shop at Jewel. I'm a Jewel person rather than a Dominicks person (you Chicagoland people know what I'm talking about).

I know there are 3 supermarkets in the area. Winn-Dixie seems to be the closest to DTD. I have also heard of a supermarket called Publix and Albersons (which I think is Jewel).

I don't shop at Wal-mart for many reasons. So what supermarket do you folks recommend?

Personally I prefer Publix as I'm a produce manager-been in the grocery business for 25yrs. If I ever move south that's who I'd work for.
In all the grocery trade magazines they are one of the names always at the top of the list.
We've been using them since we became members at the BW since 98.

Scott

I like Winn Dixie best. It's clean, the produce is nice and i can always find what I need quickly.

I prefer Publix, too, but, on our last trip, we found the Winn-Dixie on Apopka-Vineland Rd, in a "new" strip center next to ABC Liquors. It's closer than Publix, and, since we have a W-D discount card, wd did all our grocery shopping there.

FWIW....

Well, we ususally use Winn-Dixie. Close, clean, ABC store, etc. But last time we were down the store was torn apart so we decided we were going to venture over to Publix next time.

According to Google maps there is an ABC store near Publix too. I guess we'll see.

I know what you mean about grocery stores though. I'm a Wegman's girl so...

love Publix.

if you go to Winnie-Dixie - check each and every expiry date. these people are the worst about not throwing away food that they know has expired.

Publix doesn't play the game - you know advertise for one price -then come in and only the shoppers who know about the advertise price will get it. (It is always a machine problem)

don't know about Albertson or Jewel - but I definitely love Publix.

there are several in the area.

leaving bw - turn right. then at the traffic light turn left - then at the next traffic light turn right (street in front of Pop) - at next light turn left - after you have passed the Gaylord (big hotel you can't miss it) - turn right - right before you get on US 192 West Bronson Hwy - there is Publix on your left.
-------------------------- here is another one
at the Gaylord turn left, pass the Nick hotel turn left, then right get in the middle lane, go through the next light, turn left at the next light - stay on this road about 5 blocks - (two traffic lights I think) - the publix will be on your left (so be prepared to turn left)- across from Premium Outlet - but you can't seem them from ID any longer.

Which supermarket would be the best bet for picking up organic produce and gluten free goods?

NARM

Which supermarket would be the best bet for picking up organic produce and gluten free goods?

NARM

Narm,

I just checked and there is a Whole Foods in Winter Park (where ever that is).

Thanks so much for folks input. Strange that I could have gone down there so many times and never ventured further than Goodings. Goodings is a nice store but I thought I could do better in prices.

I don't enjoy driving very much, especially when I don't know a town. So getting to a super market from VWL is not my idea of a vacation.

I have a pretty good idea in my mind's eye where Winn Dixie is. But a big thank you on the expiration date warning.

Silly question for all of our supermarket experts: where is the closest Publix to Downtown Disney? I'm staying at SSR for the first time in March (paying cash, not points), and wanted to know where it is.

Thanks!

Silly question for all of our supermarket experts: where is the closest Publix to Downtown Disney? I'm staying at SSR for the first time in March (paying cash, not points), and wanted to know where it is.

Thanks!

On Vineland Ave opposite the Premium Outlets.

Claire ;)

We used to go to Goodings all the time, tried W-D once (used to live in Alabama and avoided W-D at all costs) and finally settled on Publix (just past the Premium Outlets and Dolly Parton's Stampede). I think Publix has a better variety of foods over W-D, nicer produce, better prices (even with the W-D card). And a cleaner store. Goodings has just gone way downhill in the last few years.

If you are going to Publix, avoid going in the evening when everyone is hitting the outlet mall. Traffic is horrendous. I try to go mid-afternoon or earlier in the AM.

I grew up going only to Jewel and moved to Texas where they didn't exist. Found Kroger and Randalls more to my liking. Moved to Alabama and used Delchamps (like I said, hated W-D). Then moved to Montana and used Albertsons. Moved to Louisiana and started back with Kroger.

Can someone please post the directions to Publix from SSR? I'm drawing a blank as to where the premium outlets. The only outlets I can think of are the ones across the street from SuperWalmart.

out of SSR turn right - then at the stop sign turn right again. at hotel plaza road turn left. when this road ends (across from Crosswalks?) turn right.

get in the left lane. once you are pass I4 (going underneath it) turn left at the traffic light. you will go by Premium outlets - as soon as you have passed it look on your left - you will see the Publix.
------------------
also like to go to it directly from the airport. just take the 535 or 536 exit on 417 - then instead of going straight turn right - this store is down this street around 2 miles (might be more). Shopping mall on your left.

Can someone please post the directions to Publix from SSR? I'm drawing a blank as to where the premium outlets. The only outlets I can think of are the ones across the street from SuperWalmart.

North on route 9, left on to 34th St, no wait, a map perhaps....:rolleyes1

14664Picture-2.jpg

We used to go to the Publix on SR 192, but it started to go downhill. Now we go to Winn-Dixie, just down the road from Goodings.

We are usually at OKW, so this is quite close.

vonpluto, thanks so much for the laugh! If only stopping at Publix on the way to SSR would be as easy as crossing the 34th Street bridge. :)

Thanks for the directions and map!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter