Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!

I predict there will be a flury of hotel reservation changes when opening dates are announced. If being there on opening day were super important to me, I'd probably make several reservations just to make sure I was covered! How far in advance did they announce the opening date for Cars Land?

Am I naive when I think the chances of the parks reaching capacity because of the new land are very small? Maybe on opening day, maybe on the 4th of July, but not for weeks on end. Of course SW is immensely popular, and it will be busier, maybe even a lot busier for a longer time, but to reach park capacity? I truly wonder...

Am I naive when I think the chances of the parks reaching capacity because of the new land are very small? Maybe on opening day, maybe on the 4th of July, but not for weeks on end. Of course SW is immensely popular, and it will be busier, maybe even a lot busier for a longer time, but to reach park capacity? I truly wonder...

I also wonder if the thought of crowds will scare some people away, but I think that is just wishful thinking on my part. I really hope you are right though!

I can see it being really busy all summer right up to Labour Day.
  1. People who dont know or have no interest in Galaxys Edge and will be in all the existing areas. These people will have planned their vacation with the purpose just to be in Disneyland in summer 2019.
  2. People who are JUST going to Gaxays Edge. They will be watching every rumour and every update and will only go to Gaxays Edge and possibly Star Tours. These people will travel from other parts of USA and possible internationals
  3. People who go to Disneyland every so often and who have not gone in 2017 or 2018 and are waiting for summer 2019. These people will travel from other parts of USA and possible internationals
  4. Locals who are watching every rumour and every update and will only go to Gaxays Edge and possibly Star Tours.
  5. Locals, who are just popping in for a few hours to check out the new Star Wars area everyone is talking about
  6. Locals who are just popping in for a few hours who have no interest in Galaxys Edge and just want to go to their favourite rides or restaurants

A friend and I are planning to attend our first D23 as well as enjoy Galaxy's Edge. Which will prime insanity im sure. We have a lot of patience, and the plan is to really make a long trip of it so that we have plenty of time to try and tackle whatever we can. We're going in with open minds and a relaxed attitude!

A friend and I are planning to attend our first D23 as well as enjoy Galaxy's Edge. Which will prime insanity im sure. We have a lot of patience, and the plan is to really make a long trip of it so that we have plenty of time to try and tackle whatever we can. We're going in with open minds and a relaxed attitude!

I will be there Aug 14-24. Not for D23, we just wanted to have a really long stay so we could keep open minds and relaxed attitudes. I am sure we will cross paths and not even know it!

....conduct your own pratfalls of October 2016....go up to a Star WARs attired person and ask one simple question....are you making plans to go to Disneyland summer of 2019...actually did that last night, one fellow was hooking up with friends to save on hotel expenses, the other didn't have enough money.....in other news I was watching Red Dawn last night on the free classic movie channel..C. Thomas Howell will not be visiting SWGE

I thought the same thing. I think it'll probably hit capacity the first few days, but after? I'm really doubting it.

On another (related) note: Does anyone care to venture a guess as to when Jessie's Critter Carousel and/or the Emotional Whirlwind will be opening at DCA? I haven't seen anything other than "2019" posted about either of those rides.

I thought the same thing. I think it'll probably hit capacity the first few days, but after? I'm really doubting it.

Remember all the passholders who will be blocked from DL for (what at least for now looks like) most of the summer next year. When they are finally allowed back in to DL, whether they are SW fans or not, I wouldn't be surprised if DL hits capacity for more than one day and has very high crowds until the tidal wave of passholders evens out and calms down. DL has hit capacity when the lower APs were allowed back after the Christmas block (Jan. 4th, 2017?), so after being blocked out from SWGE? I think it's fair to expect some gate closures or at least heavy, heavy crowding around the days the AP summer blocks lift.

Remember all the passholders who will be blocked from DL for (what at least for now looks like) most of the summer next year. When they are finally allowed back in to DL, whether they are SW fans or not, I wouldn't be surprised if DL hits capacity for more than one day and has very high crowds until the tidal wave of passholders evens out and calms down. DL has hit capacity when the lower APs were allowed back after the Christmas block (Jan. 4th, 2017?), so after being blocked out from SWGE? I think it's fair to expect some gate closures or at least heavy, heavy crowding around the days the AP summer blocks lift.

I have an AP for Disneyland Paris, but I always had the highest tier without any black out dates, so no reference. Does it happen more often that Disney changes the black out dates?

I have an AP for Disneyland Paris, but I always had the highest tier without any black out dates, so no reference. Does it happen more often that Disney changes the black out dates?

I don't think it's been a common thing until this year. And this year it isn't "common," but rather something that has forced itself into the AP consciousness. Disney has been announcing for a while that there would be changes made to the AP structure at DLR -- not just price hikes, but date changes to the calendar, and hints about other vague changes to come. This past June, some blocked dates opened up for the lower passes -- which was weird and caused much chagrin on these boards for people who had planned trips because they had thought the lower passes would be blocked out (not allowed in) during their trip dates. Recently changes were made to the Deluxe calendar which has that pass blocked from DL for all of July 2019, but not from DCA. Big changes like this aren't very normal for us out here, and since we know that more changes are coming, there is currently a disturbance in the DLR AP force, as it were.

I think (not positive) that all lower AP's (Deluxe and lower) were let back in on 1/4/17 so that helped it hit capacity. In 2018 it was staggered a little better. Deluxe was let in a few days before the other 2 SoCal passes, and those two were separated by a day. It didn't hit capacity this year that I'm aware of, and we were there. Hopefully they stagger when the AP's can return for Star Wars land. I still wouldn't be surprised if there is a capacity closure when AP's are unblocked though.

My family is planning to go shortly after opening. We’ve gone to DL for NYE a couple times now, so we feel ready to brave the experience. I’m just debating APs....we’ve only done so cal or deluxe passes (our dlx expired last Feb) but looking at the $$$$ passes due to new blackouts. I’m wondering if we should just stick to regular tix tho? We’ve never done that before but I’m wondering if we will get enough use out if APs at the new price point.
I haven’t made any hotel reservations yet. I’m following to see if they announce AP previews or to consider the hard ticket events they are likely to do

I think (not positive) that all lower AP's (Deluxe and lower) were let back in on 1/4/17 so that helped it hit capacity. In 2018 it was staggered a little better. Deluxe was let in a few days before the other 2 SoCal passes, and those two were separated by a day. It didn't hit capacity this year that I'm aware of, and we were there. Hopefully they stagger when the AP's can return for Star Wars land. I still wouldn't be surprised if there is a capacity closure when AP's are unblocked though.

TDA does seem to learn lessons after the planning errors, not before. And the difference between the January blockout lift in 2017 and 2018 is a good example of that. The same was true for the last day of the SoCal ticket promotion in 2017 (capacity closure at DL on weekday in May!), but no repeat on the last day of the promotion in 2018. While I hope they put all their past learning experience into play with AP blockouts/blockout lifts with SWGE, the cynic in me is expecting a few nightmare scenarios before they start getting a hold on things. But I would really love to be wrong here!

Last edited:
Definitely watching this thread. We’re making our reservations for July 2019 this week, I think. We can go any days of the week, but dh only wants to go 3 and not park hop, and I want 4 with hopping. So we’re ironing out our differences, lol. I feel I have decision fatigue trying to make the best choice in days. Probably will stick with Tue, Wed, Thu with possibly another day thrown in.

We're deluxe AP holders and so we're trying to plan our summer trip for June before SWGE opens. This means we'll have to deal with grad nights again but we've survived them before so I'm hoping we'll do ok with them again. We're tentatively planning on going the 2nd week of June for 5 days in the parks. So even if its crowded with other locals and deluxe APs we should have enough time to do what we want to do. I'm very curious to see what the crowds are going to be like before the deluxe AP holders are blocked from DL and before SWGE opens! I'm guessing we'll go back in October or November to check out SWGE.

We're deluxe AP holders and so we're trying to plan our summer trip for June before SWGE opens. This means we'll have to deal with grad nights again but we've survived them before so I'm hoping we'll do ok with them again. We're tentatively planning on going the 2nd week of June for 5 days in the parks. So even if its crowded with other locals and deluxe APs we should have enough time to do what we want to do. I'm very curious to see what the crowds are going to be like before the deluxe AP holders are blocked from DL and before SWGE opens! I'm guessing we'll go back in October or November to check out SWGE.
Looking at the blockout calendar I was guessing that SWGE may be open as early as late May. I was anticipating that deluxe holders may get access during the week when it first opens, then blocked on the weekends. Before full blockout happens later in the summer. Just speculation though!

Looking at the blockout calendar I was guessing that SWGE may be open as early as late May. I was anticipating that deluxe holders may get access during the week when it first opens, then blocked on the weekends. Before full blockout happens later in the summer. Just speculation though!
I have heard that’s what they’re aiming for, and I actually think it would make sense for a lot of reasons.

But who knows... and what they’re “aiming for” easily might not happen at all, anyway!

We are tentatively planning a trip next summer, mid June. I expect there is a chance that SWGE may be open then, but I’m perfectly happy if it isn’t. It’s the time that works best for my family, my parents, and two of my siblings. We are going to attempt a family trip for the first time in years, hopefully we can get it all coordinated and booked by the end of the year!

I’ve been looking over the blockout calendar and indecisive on weekdays or weekends in June. Local and Deluxe APs are blocked on weekends so I’m leaning towards Th-Sun. Who knows if the blockouts will change though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!