Survivor Winners at War Season 40

39 might still be the shark jump season. A full returning player season is almost guaranteed to be good, because everyone has done this before, and I think that since their stories have been told, there's less pressure on production to create narratives for each and every one of the 20 people. Whereas new player seasons can be a mixed bag.

In some cases, you get something like Ghost Island, which could very well have been called Survivor: Domienick and Wendell Get To The End because we learned very little about anyone else.

In some cases, you get David vs Goliath, which was about as good a (mostly) new player season as I've seen since maybe Philippines (and honestly that season was carried by Penner and Malcolm).

And then you get the last two seasons where you have what could be a potentially good idea (EoE, Island of the Idols) and have it lead to a negative or net zero effect on the game. EoE's one saving grace was Chris' Baller move to take on Rick in fire making. Island managed to have so many missteps that it's hard to keep track.

Some of these things (Hatch's All Star shenanigans, Todd's alcoholism, Brian's abuse arrests and the whole "trying to get guaranteed money from the show" thing) I figured would DQ them.

For others, like JT and Tina, I think we'd seen enough. Didn't know about Earl's daughter, but apparently CBS did.
Let's face it. Hatch and Hawk are proof that their early psych profilers left a lot to be desired. He was way out there and she was psycho. And really they could have put a stop to that naked stuff if they had wanted to. Hey Richard. Keep your clothes on or leave. That's all it would take.

Iknew the numbers were skewed in favor of males winning, but I didn't realize it had been that lopsided. Come on women - you gotta start doing better. And then of course right away on this season - it's 2 females off first.
Most of the challenges are male friendly. It's harder for the females to win.
I heard Tina was asked, but she would only agree to be on the show if she could bring Colby with her to ensure a win.
Colby is coming back for season 50. Dumb and dumber.
PICK KEITH!!! NO NO KEITH!!! PICK KEITH!!!! KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETH.
I'm picking Tina......

He'll be wrapped around her finger..............

Last edited:
Let's face it. Hatch and Hawk are proof that their early psych profilers left a lot to be desired. He was way out there and she was psycho. And really they could have put a stop to that naked stuff if they had wanted to. Hey Richard. Keep your clothes on or leave. That's all it would take.
Speaking of psycho and naked...remember Shirin? What would be awesome to watch for season 41...all the "eccentric" past players. Maybe it could be eccentric VS square. That would be something. Can't have all 20 be cray cray. Or could we?

Loved the show last night! I was on edge right from the start. My daughter said - its so much fun already being invested in players right from the start. Which is so true.

After last season it's very lucky they had this in the line up. All these "survivor" stars to distract us from that horrible season (in so many ways).

Well, clearly, they didn't listen to me about voting Sandra off, first thing. Sigh! I'll save my "I told you so!"

While I understand the logic of voting out Amber, she really never had any game play. I mean, she got close to the end of Australia because she was on a strong team. Then, in All-Stars, her strategy was to play Rob to get him to take her to the end. Then, when they got there, he'd burned so many bridges that she won the votes. So, she's not a huge threat on her own. Plus, this changes Rob's game play--on the one hand, he's mad at the entire blue tribe. But also, he doesn't have to play to protect Amber. Well, we'll see what happens.

It was good to see a lot of the winners, like Ethan and Yul. Some of them were completely forgettable, at least to me (who ARE these people?) But, it should be an interesting season, for sure.

I like the cast-because they are all winners they have a good social game. I’m not familiar with all the players, but none of them seem too annoying. Watching Rob play people was fun. Not crazy about the Extinction Island, but I have read it convinced several players to return knowing they could get another chance.
I think it will be a good year.

I like the cast-because they are all winners they have a good social game. I’m not familiar with all the players, but none of them seem too annoying. Watching Rob play people was fun. Not crazy about the Extinction Island, but I have read it convinced several players to return knowing they could get another chance.
I think it will be a good year.
Do you remember where you read that Extinction Island made some players agree to return? I read in EW yesterday that Jeff polled one of the tribes at tribal council and that 7 of the 10 thought Extinction Island was a bad idea.

Do you remember where you read that Extinction Island made some players agree to return? I read in EW yesterday that Jeff polled one of the tribes at tribal council and that 7 of the 10 thought Extinction Island was a bad idea.
I read it too. Not sure where. But stated the new school liked it and wanted it. Old school did not.

I look at it this way - at $1 million, it's good money, but with an all-winners squad everyone's won that, so you're competing for the title, not the cash. So EoE is a good idea, a twist that will allow the players to figure out how to best use it to their advantage.

Up the prize to $2 million, which no one has won (outside of Sandra, albeit over 2 wins), and now you don't want people to come back and take that money away from you.

I look at it this way - at $1 million, it's good money, but with an all-winners squad everyone's won that, so you're competing for the title, not the cash. So EoE is a good idea, a twist that will allow the players to figure out how to best use it to their advantage.

Up the prize to $2 million, which no one has won (outside of Sandra, albeit over 2 wins), and now you don't want people to come back and take that money away from you.
Rob and Amber collectively won $2mil. Lol. Yeah, I am interested to see how they use EoE. Rob gets on there and you know he's making it back in the game. So do the others wait to cut him after EoE is done? Do they risk keeping him around that close to the end? When did EoE end last time? There was still like 8 in the game because it was a few weeks where they had chances to send the EoE guy back home and they didnt. What was his name, cutie who won?

Rob and Amber collectively won $2mil. Lol. Yeah, I am interested to see how they use EoE. Rob gets on there and you know he's making it back in the game. So do the others wait to cut him after EoE is done? Do they risk keeping him around that close to the end? When did EoE end last time? There was still like 8 in the game because it was a few weeks where they had chances to send the EoE guy back home and they didnt. What was his name, cutie who won?
It was Chris - and I thought that was the worst season - to let him gain lots of friends on EoE to vote for him. I just don't like it - one of the great part of this game is that you have to vote people off in a way that makes them still vote for you to win in the end - but with EoE Chris didn't have to vote all those people off and instead just got to sit around and make friends with them all on EoE. meh

I've missed all or part of many seasons over the years. Wasn't there a year when a 40-something firefighter or police officer just dominated, both the challenges and the social game? I can't remember his name or the season.

Anyone think that Sandra was trying to distance herself immediately from Rob and Amber by saying Rob never told her about playing again and not trusting him? I imagine that they are close outside of the game especially after being on the island after the last show and she needed to make everyone think she wants nothing to do with them ASAP.

It was Chris - and I thought that was the worst season - to let him gain lots of friends on EoE to vote for him. I just don't like it - one of the great part of this game is that you have to vote people off in a way that makes them still vote for you to win in the end - but with EoE Chris didn't have to vote all those people off and instead just got to sit around and make friends with them all on EoE. meh
Chris basically had the one move - taking on Devens in fire making, because they both knew that the other two were unlikely to get the win. I don't know that the jury was influenced by having Chris around on EoE, but it probably didn't hurt to have gotten to know the guy, which you'd never get to do in Ponderosa.

I've missed all or part of many seasons over the years. Wasn't there a year when a 40-something firefighter or police officer just dominated, both the challenges and the social game? I can't remember his name or the season.
Tom Westman, on Survivor Palau. He came back for Heroes vs Villains. I think he didn't get asked due to the numbers game.

Anyone think that Sandra was trying to distance herself immediately from Rob and Amber by saying Rob never told her about playing again and not trusting him? I imagine that they are close outside of the game especially after being on the island after the last show and she needed to make everyone think she wants nothing to do with them ASAP.
I hadn't considered that, but you make a very good point.

I was wondering the same thing when she came out so strong and adamant about that.

AVClub has an interview with Sandra where she mentioned that the giant heads were still there when they started filming Season 40.

I've never been a fan of anything that allows voted-off contestants to return. The fire coins or whatever they're called seem like an interesting twist. BUT, especially for reunion shows, I wish they would go back to Survivor basics. WIN immunity, don't find it, and form alliances.
I agree. I wish they would stop doing hidden immunity idols but not tell the contestants. Then we can all laugh as everyone is running through the jungle searching for things that don’t exist. Or even funnier voting out someone they think has one but no one ever finds anything. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter