SW - Convert travel funds into RR points?

cruisin5

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone:

I received an "offer" to convert travel funds (expiring 9/2022) into Rapid Rewards points. Offer good until 12/15/2020.

What do you think?

In doing some basic reading, RR points offer slightly more value than money (it converts to 1.3 to 1.5 times its monetary value), but you have to pay taxes and fees with cash. Travel funds can be used to cover these expenses, but not points.
It sounds like it really is up to you, and how much flexibility you are looking for. For me personally, I know that all the funds will be used by those who I bought the tickets for well before 9/22, but if you aren't sure of the same thing, its probably worth it to convert them.

Hi Everyone:

I received an "offer" to convert travel funds (expiring 9/2022) into Rapid Rewards points. Offer good until 12/15/2020.

What do you think?
I converted all mine (about $400 worth). I don't know when I will travel again to use them up, points never expire, and can be used for anyone unlike the travel award which is just for my personal use.

I converted all mine (about $400 worth). I don't know when I will travel again to use them up, points never expire, and can be used for anyone unlike the travel award which is just for my personal use.

Be careful on that "points never expire" thing. While points do not have any specific expiration date attached to them, if your RR account is dormant for 24 months, any points in the account will be forfeited. This can easily happen to kid's accounts if they don't travel very often.

It's simple enough to keep an account active, however. Just use the SW shopping site and purchase something through that account. Even a minor purchase will create a few points in the account and keep it active. Our granddaughter has an account and only travels maybe every 3 years. I've gotten into the habit of buying her at least one Christmas present via the shopping site and using her account. Keeps the account active and the couple thousand points she has don't get lost.

Steve

Is it true that if you don't have enough RR points it cannot be supplemented with another form of payment?

I believe so, however you can purchase additional points, sometimes at a discount. Think it depends on how many points your are purchasing.

I believe so, however you can purchase additional points, sometimes at a discount. Think it depends on how many points your are purchasing.

This is correct. You cannot supplement points with another form of payment to purchase a ticket. All or nothing. You can buy additional points, but the cost is high (more than paying cash for the same flight) even when they have a sale. If you only need a few to complete the purchase, it can be worthwhile. There is a minimum purchase of 2000 points, and they have to be purchased in lots of 500.

You can also transfer points - also at a cost. Transferring points is less expensive, but still not zero. The same 2000 /500 pt restrictions apply. Transferring points cost is at a rate of 10% of the points being transferred - 2500 points costs $25.00 for example.

Steve

I just made the transfer for the 4 members of my family. While I was pretty sure we would use our funds by 9/22, I like having the flexibility if we need to cancel, the points get returned to our account.

I got that offer too, but we'll be traveling before the Sep 7, 2022 expiration of my funds so it's not worth it for us.

I got that offer too, but we'll be traveling before the Sep 7, 2022 expiration of my funds so it's not worth it for us.

It still might be, even in your situation.

The conversation rate they're using is a tad more generous than the point cost of flights in most situations. I have a couple of travel funds that add up to $73. The conversion points on those total to 5694 points. I found a $73 flight. Point cost of that flight is 4524 points. So, I could either use the two travel funds to pay for the flight - straight up trade - or convert the funds and end up with 1170 extra points in my account.

Steve

It still might be, even in your situation.

The conversation rate they're using is a tad more generous than the point cost of flights in most situations. I have a couple of travel funds that add up to $73. The conversion points on those total to 5694 points. I found a $73 flight. Point cost of that flight is 4524 points. So, I could either use the two travel funds to pay for the flight - straight up trade - or convert the funds and end up with 1170 extra points in my account.

Steve

I've just started using SW after a very long hiatus so that's good to know, thanks!

Another thing that was brought up on another thread, if you buy a ticket today for travel in March with a travel fund. Then have to cancel that ticket for whatever reason in January, or the cost goes down, with the rules currently in place your new travel fund will expire next August. If you convert to points and use those, you get all the points back.

Hi Everyone:

What do you think?
Too easy to forgot you have travel funds in your account since they don't show up on your member profile page. I would convert to points since they never expire. During height of COVID cash prices were way better value than using points. Now that fares are rebounding points generally are a better value. If you can accumulate enough points for the companion pass that is the ultimate savings tool!!!

Too easy to forgot you have travel funds in your account since they don't show up on your member profile page
When you sign in, there’s a link for travel funds information on main page

I couldn’t convert our points fast enough :). Feel like Scrooge mcDuck now

If I convert my travel funds to points, does anyone know if I can use a GC to pay the fees and taxes?

SWA GC? Don’t see why not. Otherwise you can use a Credit Card, debit card or paypal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter