SW - Convert travel funds into RR points?

And unfortunately, the 14,000 points is a one way price!
Ouch! Yes, have to think it all thru, can be a wildly different scenario for everyone.

I just hope they don’t go belly up and we lose our stash of points from 3 different trips plus our main usage CC

I haven't used RR points in quite awhile. I converted my travel funds into RR points a couple of weeks ago. I booked rt air to MCO in March. I now see that one of the legs dropped by about 1000 points. When I go in to modify it doesn't show that I would get points refunded. I know they used to honor point drops. Has that changed? If so I never would have converted from travel funds.

I just hope they don’t go belly up and we lose our stash of points from 3 different trips plus our main usage CC

What basis are you using for this fear of SWA going ot of business?

Of all airlines, SWA is the healthiest, with increasing passengers, rising stock price and investment funding secured (at favorable rates) if needed. Just last week they informed the Feds that they will not be taking the loans offered in the Covid package - the only airline to do so.

Yes, they are still in a negative revenue position, but much less so than any other airline. They stated last week that they have 2 years of liquidity at the current burn rate, before they need to tap into additional investment sources (which are in place should they be needed).

Southwest has handled this entire situation admirably, from both financial and service perspectives. Yes, anything is possible, but SW going out of business is extremely far down the list.

Steve

What basis are you using for this fear of SWA going ot of business?
It’s not a fear :). I’m well aware they are positioned better than most.

Just stating a mild concern that crossed my mind that some airlines may not make it thru this intact.

A year ago, who’d have thot we’d even be discussing this? I’m just riding the wave and hoping for the best.

I haven't used RR points in quite awhile. I converted my travel funds into RR points a couple of weeks ago. I booked rt air to MCO in March. I now see that one of the legs dropped by about 1000 points. When I go in to modify it doesn't show that I would get points refunded. I know they used to honor point drops. Has that changed? If so I never would have converted from travel funds.
You should be able to get the points refunded. Is it showing an error? Sometimes I need to cancel entirely and rebook, so I usually book one-ways. Call SWA if you don't have luck and they will help you figure it out.

Did you see the points drop by looking as if you were making a new booking? Make sure if you are checking that way that you have the correct number of people listed. For example, if you put in 1 person, it might show the point drop. But there might only be a lower fare for 3 people. If you then try to change the flight for 4 people, it would show the higher price.

It has been awhile since I changed for a lower points price, but I don’t remember getting a specific message saying i would get a certain amount of points refund, even tho I did get it.

If you booked as R/T vs each way separately, that might be the problem and you might have to call. I'm not sure that's the issue as I always book one ways, but I have changed many flights for credits and it always shows how many points will be refunded and the points always show up in my account as soon as I make the change.

I love SW because of the ability to "change" my flight if the fare drops. I periodically check to see if there is a price drop and even if its a $5 difference, I cancel and rebook. That being said, I have a lot of travel funds. Some big (from completely canceled trips to small $5 increments due to price drops). I converted the smaller travel funds to RR points and kept the larger amounts as travel funds. It's been my experience on SW that you can only use one travel fund per ticket. So even if I have a total of $300 in travel funds (spread out amount 3-4 different funds), I can only use ONE for each ticket I buy.

I love SW because of the ability to "change" my flight if the fare drops. I periodically check to see if there is a price drop and even if its a $5 difference, I cancel and rebook. That being said, I have a lot of travel funds. Some big (from completely canceled trips to small $5 increments due to price drops). I converted the smaller travel funds to RR points and kept the larger amounts as travel funds. It's been my experience on SW that you can only use one travel fund per ticket. So even if I have a total of $300 in travel funds (spread out amount 3-4 different funds), I can only use ONE for each ticket I buy.
You can use more than one. I have combined travel funds in the past by using two to book a flight, then cancelling that flight to get 1 travel fund. The expiration date of the new travel funds created will be the oldest, so if you combine those that expire in Sept and Nov, the new one would be all Sept. I only did this when I knew I would be booking travel, I find it much easier to just convert all mine into points now.

It's been my experience on SW that you can only use one travel fund per ticket. So even if I have a total of $300 in travel funds (spread out amount 3-4 different funds), I can only use ONE for each ticket I buy.

As the pp mentioned, you can use more than one TF on a ticket. You can actually use up to 3 payments for a flight. If you have 3 TFs that cover a flight, you can use all 3 to pay for it. If you have 3 TFs that are just shy of the amount you need to cover a flight, you can use 2 of them and pay the difference with a cc or gc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter