swap fustration

angelmom

Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>Those brads were
It seems that in a lot of swaps lately something happens to someone right before or even after the swap is due and then they drop out of the swap. It seems like due date means "I can mail it a week after it is due", otherwise I would think that it would all be done at least 2 days before the due date. I do know things come up, but signing up for a lot of groups and then dropping out hurts a lot of people. It costs money and time to make things for that many people and then not get different things in return. There are life altering events and reasons poeple do have to drop out, no problem. But others should have time to know they can't finish and angel the spot or it it's past the deadline, be almost done, and maybe mail what they have. I love swapping here, but I may have to rethink swapping in the coming year. I'm sorry if I made anyone feel bad, I know family and our health is more important than swaps, but with it happening more often I wanted to point it out.

I'm feeling kind of frustrated about it too. It started for me with that ABC swap. I received a package, but then most of the stuff I made ended up Who knows where since the host disappeared.:sad2:

It is frustrating to purchase supplies for a certain number of participants and then get only a few in return. I don't need two or three of the same items. I can't make a tag book with only 3 tags and I don't need 4 giraffe tags, that I made myself.
I did have a lot of fun with the Secret Sister Swap.

Maybe there needs to be a list of Angels. I had a really busy semester so I didn't do swaps b/c I didn't have time. I would however be happy to be an angel for someone. I would be upset if my stuff disappeared but not its a few days late. I do think we should only allow regulars who we trust to host the swaps. I really don't think people like BAMB, SIOH, or AWM are going to run away with our things we made.

Maybe there needs to be a list of Angels. I had a really busy semester so I didn't do swaps b/c I didn't have time. I would however be happy to be an angel for someone. I would be upset if my stuff disappeared but not its a few days late. I do think we should only allow regulars who we trust to host the swaps. I really don't think people like BAMB, SIOH, or AWM are going to run away with our things we made.

And I'm so addicted to the DIS Boards that I wouldn't be able to stay away!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence!! :thumbsup2

I am certain that the Dis'ers you mentioned wouldn't disappear with our swaps. However as a new swapper there is no way to know which hosts are reliable. The ABC swap was the first swap I have ever done. That is the only host I would have an issue with.

My current frustration would be based on swappers not sending stuff in or just completely disappearing. I signed up for the 8x8 calender swap, and the Mega Second Chance Swap. I completed my stuff in November. But both of these swaps are having problems with participants not sending stuff in.

Swapping is based on the Honor system. It is disappointing when you don't get what you expected in return for your hard work and the money you spent on supplies. If swappers have a medical issue or other serious problem I can understand. I would hope someone would angel their spots.

We do list angels on some swaps, however the 2 people on the mega swap did check in regularly so I didn't think I would need angels until it was too late.
And Susie was late, but dealing with the death of her husband is something no one expected. And I really really appreciate the patience and understanding that everyone showed toward her.

Since the mega swap was so big I fully expected it to not go smoothly, I guess I should have been more vocal about that. Plus we had a trip to Disney, then we didn't, now we do again. I know that messes everyone else up because you were expecting your packages before the holidays. And for that I'm truly sorry. :hug:

Thanks for believing in us. :thumbsup2

Chiming in...

I never mind things being late with good communication. I don't plan to give anything away, it is all for me :teeth:, so a later return date never bothers me. Having angels for swaps is great, and many hostesses post the list of angels. I think everyone is so nice here, and the hostesses really try to make sure everyone has the chance to get everything finished/mailed. And I'm sure there is PM behind the scenes that we don't see between the swappers with issues, and the hostesses. I know I have had a few times when I sent a hostess a vent PM because things weren't working out, and I had to redo an entire swap, and was running later than I wanted. My poor DH can tell you about those times too :lmao:

I too got burned with the ABC swap. To totally disappear is shameful, not to mention theft. However, that is the only hostess that has totally gone with my things. A few have reported the mail fraud in that situation, and I encourage anyone that hasn't to complete the form. I figure there was $$/stamps for postage sent to her along with product that amounted to about $20 in supplies just from me alone.

:love: Thank you.

I do try really hard to be on time or before if I can. Drive my family nutzo when it is close to swapping time.

Maybe a list of always on call Angels would be good. This way as soon as there is a problem, the hostess can start PM'g those angels and get it all sorted out before it becomes public stress. 'Course that would require the person dropping out to let the hostess know before hand in a PM and not just on the thread.

RL happens. All the time, can't avoid it really. Like to, but can't. Communication and respect it key. Respect your fellow swappers and communicate often. Telling your fellow swappers a week AFTER the due date that you now can't make your stuff? Yeah, not so much respect being shown there.

Thank you so much to all who do communciate, do make your things on time, and are willing to wait or angel when RL happens.

I have been very cautious with swaps. I still feel new to swapping and I was very careful to not take on more than I thought I could manage. My other strategy was to lurk on the swapping board until I got to know who was experienced with swapping as I felt like a total idiot about it.

I find it unconscionable to keep swap items, keep postage and disappear and I feel so bad for those of you who've had problems.

People understand situations as long as communication lines are kept open and there have certainly been some awful problems for some people here. But to just disappear without a word :confused3

So, as a very lucky swapper, thanks to my hostesses! It was a great experience for me!

When I am a hostess I ask the group if they want their duplicates back and if not I swap them with other duplicates to make as many people as possible get all different items, even if they are not in that same group.

A while ago I hosted a duplicates swap that seemed to work out fine. In that you would send in your duplicates and any other items that you loved but could not find a home for and got other stuff in return. Maybe I need to do one of them again in 2008.

I have never had a problem with a host of a swap I have been in. You all have been wonderful, and I am by no way saying that anything is the fault of a host or that they should be responsible for everyone or doing their items!! I know rl happens, my fustration is with the fact that dropping at the last minute is not respectful and it's hard to angel spots when the swap is almost due or late.

I reckon the ABC cost me $50 just for postage and materials, leaving thinking and making time out of the calculation.:mad: S**t happens - doesn't mean I like it happening to ME - but I prefer the trust on these boards to the regimentation of, say, UK Scrappers (my "local" boards) which are very regimented about sizes, what can and can't be used and even run a "qualification" system so you can only take part in a certain number of swaps until you are "approved". :scared1:

I agree if something happens you should let everyone know ASAP - with the 12x12 calendar swap luckily its for me not a gift or I would be a bit antsy by now - but if everyone is prepared to wait fine. I have so few WDW holidays time is not generally an issue for me, except for my well-known inability to do the P word:rolleyes1

Before the ABC swap I had a very late one which nearly put me off altogether - 2 over a huge number of swaps is not so bad (I think its one per year). But an angel list might be good.

Because I know mine take longer than average - often I have to order supplies from the US, and postage is around 2 weeks - I start as soon as the sign-ups close and get my stuff out early. I know not everyone can get stuff done early, but for myself I would not be comfortable going to the wire. Some people work that way, i don't. I don't judge, I leave space ;)

Having said that, an angel list from the start might be good (perhaps people who can "take or leave" a swap should be the angels rather than those already signed up). I would often be happy to angel, except by the time an angel is required adding in me would not make things any quicker than waiting for the original signee who has had real life intervene :headache:

If you're bored with the above, the short answer is I love these boards and can't leave them alone, but I HATE delays, whatever the cause;)

I have so few WDW holidays time is not generally an issue for me, except for my well-known inability to do the P word:rolleyes1

Your well-known inability is not known by me. I have to ask, what is the P word?:scratchin

Patience :lmao: :rotfl2: I have to wait soooo long for things to get back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter