Switching resorts part way through trip

RichV03

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I am looking into buying DVC, I like the idea of maybe trying more than one resort a trip(have two young boys that would probably enjoy change of scenery). I am just wondering if it is a hassle to stay at lets say BLT and AKL on the same trip. Does disney move your stuff for you if you do or is that up to you to figure out how to get stuff from one place to another. Thanks in advance.

Disney will move your stuff for you, but it tends not to be the most timely thing from what I hear from others. I myself would either use a uber/lyft/minnie van - I'd call bell services and have them bring my luggage to the car port - but you can have Dinsey handle it all, just keep what you need that day separate. And realize there is no room to go to for a respite should you need an afternoon rest.

To me the question is really how much of a deal is it for you to pack up midway through, some people like to unpack when they get there, others accept living from the suitcase.

Moving is easy, though I typically get up early to check into the new resort to try to decrease the "homeless" time

typically did 3 way splits for a 10 to 12 day vacation, starting with a 2 to 3 day studio at AKL, moving to a 1 or 2 bedroom at OKW, BCV or BWV and then finishing for 2 or 3 days in a MK resort studio. We have light bags that we live out of in the studios and fully unpack when we are in the villa. It is sort of nice not to have t do a full pack at the end of the trip

We typically traveled in the summer so being close to the parks for mid day breaks is a big plus, also we are EPCOT fans so being able to wonder over in the evening is nice

Moving is easier if you’re in a studio and use Uber or Lyft. Trying to pack up a 1BR or larger can be a scramble in the morning because of the need to pack up the kitchen stuff.

As far as Disney moving your stuff--you need to actually bring it to bell services (vs them taking it out of your room automatically.) You tell them where to send it to, and it'll arrive late afternoon, so if there's anything you need, keep it in your day bag(s). Also, they will not automatically deliver it to your new room. I believe you need to be in the room if you want them to deliver it (and tip them.), but you should be able to collect the bags from bell services at your next resort.

I am not sure if you are flying or not, but if you drive like we do we take one large suite case and a shower bag and spend two nights at one resort and then only have to take those two bags back to the car and then take the rest up for our other 5 or 6 nights depending on our length of stay. We unload at the main entrance using the bell service cart to take our stuff up to the room. hope this helps if you are driving. either way the resorts are awesome so it will be worth the extra time and hassle in my opinion. Have fun and enjoy all the resorts have to offer!

As far as Disney moving your stuff--you need to actually bring it to bell services (vs them taking it out of your room automatically.) You tell them where to send it to, and it'll arrive late afternoon, so if there's anything you need, keep it in your day bag(s). Also, they will not automatically deliver it to your new room. I believe you need to be in the room if you want them to deliver it (and tip them.), but you should be able to collect the bags from bell services at your next resort.

I have done many split stays. It has never been an issue.
1- Call Bell Services (they will come to your room, its think its easier than lugging everything down to them). When you call let them know you will be transferring, they will mark the tags appropriately. If you have refrigerated items let them know (put in separate bags-usually bags from shopping or the laundry bags). I personally tip when they pick up and deliver bags.

2-If you go to Parks, when you get at night, call bell services and they will deliver the bags. If we are transferring from say Poly to BWV, we tend to go to the Park closer to resort we are moving to i.e. (EPCOT, HS) that way when we are done or want to head to the resort when room is ready its easy without jumping on a bus.

3-If we are making it a pool day, we make sure we have clothes to change into for the day in a backback, sunscreen etc.

We love split stays, and plan are park days/restaurants around it. We only have to use bus if going to AK or DS.

I've done the resort switch (split stays) many times. I like to split my time between resorts that are convenient to different parks. Did the Poly/BCV last time, AKV/BCV many times. Then, from one I go to MK/AK, the other (usually BCV) Epcot and DHS. That way it feels like 2 entirely separate vacations.

BLT and AKV are my two home resorts and switching between them is a nice change of pace. At BLT you're right down in the heart of everything at a monorail resort. AKV is kind of remote and gives you a break from the park action. I always feel like I'm returning to the bat-cave when I drive down the tree lined road toward AKV and enter the underground parking. No matter where you stay you just bring your bags to bell service and they will take care of sending them over to new resort for you. You can give them your groceries also including cold items.

Last edited:
Being homeless on your change day can be rough on younger kids. Older kids might be able to enjoy the parks. But if you have kids (or parents) that need a nap, it can be hard.

We have done split stays multiple times, usually moving from our home resort (BWV) to another. We had bell services move our gear the first time, but found it a long wait to get stuff delivered to the villa at the second resort. Now we plan a rental car for the second part of the trip, even if we don’t have one the first part. We like to have a rental available for trips to Disney Springs and AKL anyway, so we plan activities involving those locations for that part of our stay.

Split stays can be great for a change of scenery, but OP's have explained the downside, especially with kids. I have done it with bell services once and other times with a car rental. The car rental makes it much easier and you can take a ride to the grocery store and stock up, eat at a non-Disney resort or take a ride to the beach for a day trip. For a 24 hour rental I suggest Alamo Car Care Center near MK (Alamo.com) and they will pick you up at your resort - just call them directly and then they will drop you off anywhere on Disney property after you return the car. I think it is well worth the cost!

We have done this on a few occasions. We aren't big on traveling to DS by bus from most resorts as it can take up a lot of time each way. So staying at SSR or OKW early in the trip allows us 2-3 nights to be able to boat over easily, eat at some of the tasty places at DS without killing half a day on a bus. We then will move over to another resort. Move day can take up a lot of time if you let it. Yes, the resort will transfer your luggage. We usually uber over for quick timing and as another post reads, we like to do so earlier than later in hopes to get room early, get settled then go to a park, or get groceries for the longer portion of the trip.
On the other hand, we have stayed at one resort 2 solid weeks and love that too. By the time the 2nd week rolls around, you feel settled, and the vacation with relaxing in the mix of it all begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!