TABLES IN WONDERLAND COST

Thats what we did last time, got 3 vacations out of the card. Saved us a lot even above the increased AP discount.

There are many estimates as to what you have to spend to save money with the card. If you don't have an AP, then above about $750 in restaurant charges you will save money. If you have an AP (factoring in that "free discount"), the number is probably closer to $1500.

The math isn't that neat for AP holders - the AP discount raises the break-even number on the TiW, but by how much depends on where and how you eat because the list of restaurants that give an AP discount is quite a bit shorter than the TiW participating restaurants list and the AP discount excludes alcohol.

1) If you desire a PLASTIC TIW card? CALL, order the Card. At the gate? You will get PAPER. And the CM's HATE these. They often fail to scan.
I tried to order a card via phone numerous times prior to my fall trip and although I called during operating hours received a voice message to call back. After a week, I got frustrated and decided the paper card would suffice. There is always next year to try again!

We figured we saved close to $50 on our last trip, but the card was less expensive then. We had a seven night trip, two adults and two teens. We got groceries delivered, but also had many meals out, at least one each day. As DVC members, we already would have had a 10% discounting many places, so compared our expenses that way. We likely won’t get it again

So if my vacation is in ten days and I call, I obviously may not get my card for this trip, but will I get some email paperwork that says I’m a cardholder?

So if my vacation is in ten days and I call, I obviously may not get my card for this trip, but will I get some email paperwork that says I’m a cardholder?
I do not think you will get any paperwork that will work as the discount. You need to order it far enough in advance to receive the actual card.

In this case, you would probably have to purchase at guest relations.

I know this thread is few months old, but thought I'd post my question here. I have the TIW card under my name and pay the majority of our sit down meals.

For this upcoming trip I was unable to use my credit card (don't know issues, Disney just didn't want to take my money for once) on our pre-paid reservations for Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha so my partner used his card to pre-pay.

I read the card needs to be same name as person paying. Does this mean we wont be able to show the TIW card and get the discount applied to his credit card on the day? We picked the late shows for this reason and I am looking to save wherever I can seeing as I went over budget on hotel stay...LOL. I will cancel and try rebook if this is the case but it will involve having to call dining due to the website still not accepting my card.

I know this thread is few months old, but thought I'd post my question here. I have the TIW card under my name and pay the majority of our sit down meals.

For this upcoming trip I was unable to use my credit card (don't know issues, Disney just didn't want to take my money for once) on our pre-paid reservations for Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha so my partner used his card to pre-pay.

I read the card needs to be same name as person paying. Does this mean we wont be able to show the TIW card and get the discount applied to his credit card on the day? We picked the late shows for this reason and I am looking to save wherever I can seeing as I went over budget on hotel stay...LOL. I will cancel and try rebook if this is the case but it will involve having to call dining due to the website still not accepting my card.

That is correct. The TIW cardholder is required to pay for the entire meal in order to get the discount

Last edited:
I'm just beginning to learn about TIW since we have three trips tentatively planned over the next year. While reading the fine print on the site it says it is not to be combined with any other discount. But from what I'm reading above, if you have an AP you can use the AP discount and the TIW discount? Or am I completely misunderstanding what was said?

I'm just beginning to learn about TIW since we have three trips tentatively planned over the next year. While reading the fine print on the site it says it is not to be combined with any other discount. But from what I'm reading above, if you have an AP you can use the AP discount and the TIW discount? Or am I completely misunderstanding what was said?

No, you cannot combine discounts.

Now let's clear up the "13 month window" for TIW.... TIMING is critical.

Background - TIW buyers for 13 years.....

1) If you desire a PLASTIC TIW card? CALL, order the Card. At the gate? You will get PAPER. And the CM's HATE these. They often fail to scan.

2) Consider your vacation timing: We are DVC members. We always visit in APRIL and NOVEMBER....

3) Buy your Card about the 3rd of the month that will be one month AHEAD of your next vacation 1.5 years from now....
HUH? Do this, and you will get THREE vacations from a single TIW card.... Our cost per vacation is $50.

Let's go over 3) with an example. Dean and Sandy will go to WDW APR 19, 2018 - NOV 9, 2018 - MAY 1, 2019. They have to buy a NEW TIW card.
The LAST planned vacation is the one that counts: The NEW TIW should expire May 31, 2019.
To get this to work, Dean and Sandy should purchase a NEW TIW about APR 3,2018.

After all of this time? We're pretty good at this. If you are NOT? EMAIL or CALL TIW (use "contact us"). These folks are WONDERFUL! If they know when you are going? They will ADVISE you as to "when to buy", to maximize your usage.

If you call, how long does it take for the plastic card to come? Im going July 19th and I'm interested in purchasing but I don't want to be stuck without a card if thats the case

The break even point is over $1000. You need to figure in the discounts you can get with the no fee Disney visa - 10%, AP- 10% and DVC - 10%. I know these don’t include alcohol and are not a avalable at all restaurants, but they can add up.

mouseperks.com has a good list of discounts at WDW.

You should buy the TIW card when you arrive at Disney (Guest Relations). The expiration date is from when you purchase the card.

If you call, how long does it take for the plastic card to come? Im going July 19th and I'm interested in purchasing but I don't want to be stuck without a card if thats the case

Ask for expedited shipping. TIW is VERY good with this, when they understand your next vacation date....
Sandy and I did this about APR3, 2018 for a "next vacation" on APR 19, 2018.
It took that card about 7 days to get to us, UPS, and while we offered to PAY for this? No charge :).

FYI, the discount on alcohol is not just drinks with dinner. Any bar that accepts TIW will be discounted. Food and Wine Fest and other special venues do not provide a discount. Also, there are certain restaurants that do not accept TIW, Victoria and Albert's for one. There are also blackout dates.

On our first trip with TiW we covered the cost of the card in a single meal (6 adults each ordering appetizers and entrees plus 2 bottles of wine) larger groups can cover the card cost QUICKLY

Last edited:
On our first trip with TiW we covered the cost of the card in a single meal (6 adults each ordering appetizers and entrees plus 2 bottles of wine) larger groups and cover the card cost QUICKLY
Absolutely. The trick is to get everybody to pay their share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter