Take my 82 year old dad to Epcot for flower and garden?? Yes or no??

You should consider renting a scooter from an off-site location unless you can get to EPCOT right when it opens

We don't have a car that would work to transport a scooter. We're not staying on Disney -- we're getting a six bedroom house at Windsor Hills and a few rental cars/minivans. Dad and I are early risers, so it sounds like we should get to the park early to make sure we can get a scooter. He'll only need one for our SeaWorld day (a big group) and at Epcot (just me and dad I'm thinking -- mom maybe too, but she may hang out with others -- kids, grandkids, great granddaughter). Dad's fine walking around a grocery store, going out to dinner, and will be fine for an Almonte Springs family gathering and the wedding (will bring a cane), but a theme park day is a completely different thing. Wednesday March 6th at the moment just has predictions from unofficial guide of crowd level 5 too, but sounds like to insure a scooter morning would be good. We could do Living the Land and look at the Gardens, etc. first as I believe the pavilions don't open till 11.

The mime in Italy (Sergio) and the French servers acts are excellent. The Chinese gymnasts are pretty good. There’s several music acts; whether you like them depends on your taste in music. The Voices of Liberty are amazing.

Be sure to pick up a map, as all the topiaries and gardens are listed on it.

Thanks so much for mentioning these. This would be right up his alley and be some enjoyable things we could look for as we hit the pavilions.

Last edited:
When you get to the park during the Flower & Garden Festival, there are actually 2 things you want to pick up. The map shows where topiaries and play areas are. The Passport tells you about tours, talks, concerts, etc. It also has topiaries and things in list form, which sometimes is easier to follow than looking at the map.

The 2018 Passport:
http://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/m...wer-and-garden-festival/F&G_Passport_2018.pdf

The 2018 Map:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/epcot/flower-garden-festival-map.htm

Another YES vote from me! Just taking his time and looking at all the garden displays will be a joy, and a special time for you together. I think that the France movie and the American Adventure are especially pleasant for older people. (The Circle Vision movies in Canada and China are super cool too, but maybe others can say whether dad would be allowed to remain in his scooter. These are stand-up venues, and I think that would be hard.) In short, there is so much to do at Epcot that rides are really an afterthought. Enjoy!

I think he'll love it! Definitely he needs to ride Living with the Land & I would check out the Behind The Seeds tour for even just the 2 of you. It wasn't that long (less than 2 hours) & not very expensive compared to most tours. Ask them about wheelchair accessibility when you book the tour. I really enjoyed it & I am not a gardener at all.

The topiaries are scattered around the front area & then in the countries. My mom & I made a game this spring of finding all of them when we went to Epcot. Also if you go really early when it opens it will be easy for him to go in the Butterfly area as it's not super crowded right away. We got a lot of fun pictures without many people in the background since they were rushing off for the rides. There are so many places he can enjoy the flowers & landscaping thru out the park at a very easy pace. I always feel Epcot is that little bit more extra during Flower & Garden compared to other times.

I think that the France movie and the American Adventure are especially pleasant for older people. (The Circle Vision movies in Canada and China are super cool too, but maybe others can say whether dad would be allowed to remain in his scooter. These are stand-up venues, and I think that would be hard.) In short, there is so much to do at Epcot that rides are really an afterthought. Enjoy!

This information is super helpful. Thanks so much!

All, Thank you so much for your posts! We had a family reunion last week in Sedona, AZ and I talked to my dad about this. He thinks it sounds great and would be wonderful to do. And we are going to do it, just the two of us, making it a day that will totally cater to my dad. We're both really looking forward to seeing the gardens and will pick up the map that tells about these and definitely hit those. Living the land, the France movie, and American Adventure movie are definitely on the agenda too and we will wander through the various pavilions. It sounds like it will be a lovely day for us and pretty relaxing day for a theme park. We'll also have lunch and dinner in the park, so I'll look into what appeals to us (probably counter service for lunch, but I may go ahead and do a table service reservation for dinner somewhere. // This is a rare Disney day too, where it looks like I won't even need to try to get fastpasses in advance.

All, Thank you so much for your posts! We had a family reunion last week in Sedona, AZ and I talked to my dad about this. He thinks it sounds great and would be wonderful to do. And we are going to do it, just the two of us, making it a day that will totally cater to my dad. We're both really looking forward to seeing the gardens and will pick up the map that tells about these and definitely hit those. Living the land, the France movie, and American Adventure movie are definitely on the agenda too and we will wander through the various pavilions. It sounds like it will be a lovely day for us and pretty relaxing day for a theme park. We'll also have lunch and dinner in the park, so I'll look into what appeals to us (probably counter service for lunch, but I may go ahead and do a table service reservation for dinner somewhere. // This is a rare Disney day too, where it looks like I won't even need to try to get fastpasses in advance.
There is some pretty good food at the food booths so I would say try that instead of counter service

I took my 91-year-old grandma to Flower and Garden this year. She loved it. She liked all of the displays outside. She has some vision problems, but she could see the colors on so many of the flowers, and it just made my heart so happy. I think it was really good for her to go. She also liked the butterfly house.

She gets around with a rolling walker or a cane at home, but we push her in a wheelchair at WDW. She likes to transfer for rides whenever possible because she really doesn’t like having to use the wheelchair. She rode Nemo, Spaceship Earth, Soarin’, The Land, and Mexico. We took her two years ago and she rode Imagination and Frozen then, but we skipped them this time. She liked the part after Imagination where you get to direct the band in the play area.

She likes the movies in World Showcase, and she liked the Pixar Film Festival. She likes the shows in World Showcase, especially the British band.

She doesn’t like to eat very much, but she did like eating at the booths. I think the portions were manageable for her.

I hope that you have a wonderful trip. It sounds like it will be a special day for the two of you.

The indoor shows in the World Showcase plus they’re a nice break on a sunny day.

The movie in France and the American Adventures are great to see especially when you haven’t seen them in years. IDK what they do for the movies in China and Canada because you stand during those.

Pineapple promenade yum! Booth is during the festival near the world showcase gift shop!

If my dad was still alive, he would love it and I would take him in a minute. Don't miss an opportunity like this.

Spaceship Earth might be accessible to him standby, but they also have ADA vehicles I believe if you wanted to check that out too!

I think you would go to the exit and a CM would help you. If it's super busy, they might give you a return time.
Yes, did this with my mom. It was busy (July) but we waited only maybe 10 minutes. No FP needed (we had one but it was not even used, due to going in by the exit) They slow down the rotation to make it easy on and off.

OP-- I want to go again for my mom's 80th--you inspire me!

OP, I'm so excited for you and your dad! You're going to have a magical time!

My parents are mid-70's, and they enjoy all of Disney, but my dad is especially fond of Epcot. We went in 2016 during Flower & Garden, and it was beautiful. For that trip, my parents both agreed that the best food we ate the entire time was from the Outdoor Kitchens at the festival.

We returned in December 2017, and got to see Epcot in all it's Holiday splendor. My dad is a music lover, so I did my best to plan accordingly. Our first day at Epcot we saw Voices of Liberty perform and then caught one of Joyful's sets. My dad LOVED it! At dinner that night, he couldn't stop talking about both performances. Later in the trip we ate dinner at Biergarten, so he had more music to enjoy, and then we watched the Candlelight Processional, which he declared "the best Christmas concert I've ever been to". That's high praise from a life-long musician who has played in many Christmas concerts himself and seen even more than that.

I don't have children, so I love planning Disney trips that center around my folks and what they will enjoy. They gave me so much when I was growing up, it's fun as heck getting to return the love now that I'm able!

Have fun with your dad! Definitely do the American Adventure movie/show and the movie in France. I love both of those.

West coaster trying to plan a trip with her 81 yr old Mom. How many days is a good amount of time to see the Flower and Garden Festival and sprinkle in some time in the other parks? Thinking 5 days total, thoughts???

He likes gardening and botanical gardens
I think a definite yes as that time of year Epcot is very impressive with all the plantings. He would probably also enjoy the Land ride. Spaceship earth would be an interesting one for him and hopefully not difficult to get in/out of. I would suggest on going during the week as the weekends bring in a lot of locals and though drinking around the world.

Normally the only park my dad does in Orlando is SeaWorld. He likes the beautiful landscaping, shows, and ease of renting a scooter and getting around.

We are going to a family wedding next March and I saw that Flower and Garden is going at Epcot. Do you think maybe this would be fun for him too? He doesn't like to get in and out of cramped little cars -- Is a slender 6 ft. 2. He has mobility issues too -- can walk a little, but can't wait in line -- has handicapped sticker and would rent scooter in the park. He likes gardening and botanical gardens. // Also if Epcot sounds like something he might enjoy, are there any attractions we should hit or would it be best do you think in his case to just explore the garden exhibits and country exhibits. If there are certain attractions you think would be worth doing and work for him, if you could list those that would be great. Test Track would be a no for sure. I'm not sure about soaring. I think he did that before when he was younger a few decades ago, so he could probably make a decision on that. With your other suggestions, I could maybe look on utube and see what he thinks.

Also, what about crowds. That is Mardi Gras and I hear many escape from New Orleans to Disney. With a scooter it is difficult with really heavy crowds. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

My thoughts are yes, but you may want to use the boats to get across the lagoon(5 minute ride), and they will have plenty of food kiosks around then. I was there during this years. Do some of the rides if he wants, but know which rides are not scooter/wheelchair friendly in advance.

West coaster trying to plan a trip with her 81 yr old Mom. How many days is a good amount of time to see the Flower and Garden Festival and sprinkle in some time in the other parks? Thinking 5 days total, thoughts???

We always plan for 2 days in Epcot. We can easily spend 3, though (especially for a festival). Each of the other parks is a full-day park, imho.

When I went with my then-77-yo mom, we went for a week, and planned a resort day as well.

Five days would be enough, but since you're coming all the way across the country, and if your budget would allow, why not build in an extra day or two?

Enjoy your trip! You're in for a treat, no matter how long the stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!