Taking baby on a chilly day...

bamacmac

DIS Veteran
Hi...new to this part of the boards. I’ve always stuck to the dis unplugged section. But now we have a baby and I have a question!

Sorry for the long post! So we are locals (and I’m a former Cast Member). Disney is a huge part of our lives...we met, dated, got engaged and married all at Disney! Our baby boy who will be 3 months old tomorrow. We’ve been planning for tomorrow to be his first park day for awhile now. He’s been to the resorts many times but not into the parks yet. Daddy took the day off work. Breakfast res made. FP’s made. So of course we are now having a couple of “colder than usual” days and this first time mom is worried. When we arrive at the park in the morning at 9am it looks like it could be around 45 degrees. Likely only 50-55 by the time we leave around 1. (High for the day is only 60). Of course we will leave earlier if the day is too much for him! I know this isn’t crazy cold but it’s pretty cold for Florida!

So....I’m wondering if it will be fine and maybe I’m just being paranoid. Just make sure he has a few layers on that can easily be removed as needed when we are indoors and he will be fine? Planning on 2-3 layers of regular clothing plus a warm stroller blanket. Also plan to use the baby carrier a good bit so he shojkd stay toasty next to my body.

We’ve been looking forward to this and planning for the last couple of months! (And this Disney Mama really misses the parks...especially Christmas at Disney!). If we could just go another day soon I would but we aren’t going to be able to due to other stuff going on and leaving town the 19th for Christmas travel.

Would love to know what some of you more seasoned parents would do!

Thanks!

I think he'll be ok. Honestly there have been 30 degree days where my kid was sweltering in all the layers and the blankets....

I think the general rule of thumb is to dress baby in 1 more layer than you yourself will be wearing. As a parent living in the northeast, I wouldn't have any issue taking my little one outside in those temps. Probably wearing a sleeper/playsuit, sweater, hat and blanket. Just pay attention and take off layers if needed so he doesn't overheat.

Enjoy your visit!

Make sure he has a hat that covers his ears well. I would make sure he has a thick, warm blanket to cuddle with. Have fun!

Yes, honestly you're being a bit paranoid. But that's normal for new parents...welcome to parenthood. :D Temps in the 40s and 50s aren't "cold", IMO. Put a blanket on the kid and he'll be fine. Or even a warm long sleeve/pant baby outfit. I'd say 2-3 layers of clothes and a warm blanket is serious overkill. You'll find plenty of northern folks who will tell you all about cold. We lived in PA when our kids were young...we took them outside to play in the snow when it was literally zero degrees outside, and they survived just fine. Relax, put some decent clothes on him and enjoy.

Last edited:
Yes, honestly you're being a bit paranoid. But that's normal for new parents...welcome to parenthood. :D Temps in the 40s and 50s aren't "cold", IMO. Put a blanket on the kid and he'll be fine. Or even a warm long sleeve/pant baby outfit. I'd say 2-3 layers of clothes and a warm blanket is serious overkill. You'll find plenty of northern folks who will tell you all about cold. We lived in PA when our kids were young...we took them outside to play in the snow when it was literally zero degrees outside, and they survived just fine. Relax, put some decent clothes on him and enjoy.
Yup. Around here if we had avoided those temperatures, the kids might not have gone outside for six months straight.

Layer and unlayer as needed.

Agreed with other post take that baby to the parks! Yes to layers but don’t over heat that baby either. Better for them to be cold and you add a layer then for them to over heat, hope that makes sense. We took DD when she was 4 months to an outside park in 40 degree weather we just bundled her and wore her wrapped her in blankets as needed.

Have so much fun! Post a pic of the cuteness!

So....I’m wondering if it will be fine and maybe I’m just being paranoid. Just make sure he has a few layers on that can easily be removed as needed when we are indoors and he will be fine? Planning on 2-3 layers of regular clothing plus a warm stroller blanket. Also plan to use the baby carrier a good bit so he shojkd stay toasty next to my body.
You always want to dress them a little more than you are dressed - they usually need a little more warmth because they are not moving around like you are. You can always remove layers so best to bring more layers/blankets/hats.

It always drives me nuts to see parents all bundled up and then the kids are there with just little socks on their feet and legs exposed and light jackets.

Go and have a great time!! Worst case, if you think he is still cold you can certainly find something in a shop to bundle him up more. We were there the last week of November and it was cold - (highs almost reaching 50) it seemed the stores had plenty of blankets/hats and other cold weather attire to buy.

Grandma here, so of course I'm always adding layers. :rolleyes1

But if it's windy and overcast, and you are worried, think about a rain cover for stroller, cuts down on wind and helps hold body heat in.

I think he'll be ok. Honestly there have been 30 degree days where my kid was sweltering in all the layers and the blankets....
Okay thanks! Yeah he tends to get hot easily so I don’t want to overheat him either of course. Such a fine line to walk!

I think the general rule of thumb is to dress baby in 1 more layer than you yourself will be wearing. As a parent living in the northeast, I wouldn't have any issue taking my little one outside in those temps. Probably wearing a sleeper/playsuit, sweater, hat and blanket. Just pay attention and take off layers if needed so he doesn't overheat.

Enjoy your visit!
Thanks so much! Yeah my husband is from Boston and this is his first “winter” in Florida. But he’s weird and thinks 60 is sooooo cold! ‍♀️

If he were a little bit older I’d probably not think twice about it. I was a nanny for 4 young kids in the past and we used to let them play outside in much colder temps in Alabama. But I’m just not used to making the decisions for such a little one!

Thanks for the honesty! Paranoid is my middle name lately...wow at the anxiety being a new mom can bring!

I was a nanny for 4 young kids in Alabama (where it can get into 20’s and 30’s easily in winter) and we would let them play outside in cold weather without any worry. Just so different to be making alllll the decisions for this little guy. And I know these temps tomorrow aren’t what most people would consider cold at all. Just a lot colder than we are used to living here. It was in the 80’s last week!

My husband is from Boston and thinks 60 is so cold! Ha!

Okay maybe I’ll scale back a bit on the layers. All of these responses are making me worry a lot less! :)

Grandma here, so of course I'm always adding layers. :rolleyes1

But if it's windy and overcast, and you are worried, think about a rain cover for stroller, cuts down on wind and helps hold body heat in.
Good idea!!

You always want to dress them a little more than you are dressed - they usually need a little more warmth because they are not moving around like you are. You can always remove layers so best to bring more layers/blankets/hats.

It always drives me nuts to see parents all bundled up and then the kids are there with just little socks on their feet and legs exposed and light jackets.

Go and have a great time!! Worst case, if you think he is still cold you can certainly find something in a shop to bundle him up more. We were there the last week of November and it was cold - (highs almost reaching 50) it seemed the stores had plenty of blankets/hats and other cold weather attire to buy.
So true! Disney is always quick to provide anything you might need. For the right price. Ha! :)

Thanks!! And I guess it’s not like we will just be sitting outside for hours. We will be in and out a lot!

Agreed with other post take that baby to the parks! Yes to layers but don’t over heat that baby either. Better for them to be cold and you add a layer then for them to over heat, hope that makes sense. We took DD when she was 4 months to an outside park in 40 degree weather we just bundled her and wore her wrapped her in blankets as needed.

Have so much fun! Post a pic of the cuteness!
Thanks so much!! Will do! :)

And yes I feel like it’s a fine line between keeping him warm without overheating. Definitely don’t want to do that either!

But it's not that much of a fine line. Yes, trust me...I know...as a new parent it's overwhelming. However, you mentioned you were a nanny for 4 young kids, so you do have some experience. While it's harder when it's your own child, the same principals will apply. Put him in a warm outfit (just one) and bring a blanket. If he gets chilly, you'll know. It won't be the end of the world. I was "that guy" when my oldest was born, so I very much understand. I wouldn't let the kid cry himself to sleep when he was a baby, even if there was absolutely nothing wrong. I was waaaaaaaay too over protective, paranoid, whatever. Man, did I learn my lesson fast. When my twins came along, if they cried at bed time, oh well. Fall down when learning to walk? Get yourself up and try again.

You'll be fine. He'll be fine. Don't give it another moment of thought.

Congrats on being a new parent by the way!!!

And yes I feel like it’s a fine line between keeping him warm without overheating. Definitely don’t want to do that either!

That’s why I say start off with with less you can always add more. I would say onesie with feet PJ style, a coat/sweater and a blanket. You can always add another layer, under the PJs or over. I like the feet/PJ style so when you pick them up there socks don’t fall off and legs don’t get exposed and if you put the baby in a carrier they can’t bunch up as much. Also a good option if the baby is in a stroller napping is a rain/wind cover it keeps it a bit toasty in there.

Last edited:
But it's not that much of a fine line. Yes, trust me...I know...as a new parent it's overwhelming. However, you mentioned you were a nanny for 4 young kids, so you do have some experience. While it's harder when it's your own child, the same principals will apply. Put him in a warm outfit (just one) and bring a blanket. If he gets chilly, you'll know. It won't be the end of the world. I was "that guy" when my oldest was born, so I very much understand. I wouldn't let the kid cry himself to sleep when he was a baby, even if there was absolutely nothing wrong. I was waaaaaaaay too over protective, paranoid, whatever. Man, did I learn my lesson fast. When my twins came along, if they cried at bed time, oh well. Fall down when learning to walk? Get yourself up and try again.

You'll be fine. He'll be fine. Don't give it another moment of thought.

Congrats on being a new parent by the way!!!

Yes I didn’t anticipate it being this much harder with it being my own. But it really is. I’m definitely “that mom”....the over protective and oh so paranoid. (At least I realize it right?? Ha)

Thanks so much! We are excited for tomorrow!

That’s why I say start off with with less you can always add more. I would say onesie with feet PJ style, a coat/sweater and a blanket. You can always add another layer, under the PJs or over. I like the feet/PJ style so when you pick them up there socks don’t fall off and legs don’t get exposed and if you put the baby in a carrier they can’t bunch up as much. Also a good option if the baby is in a stroller napping is a rain/wind cover it keeps it a bit toasty in there.

All good tips! Thanks! Definitely doing footie PJ’s I think!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!