Taking backpacks on the rides.

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
This is my first trip to Universal. My granddaughter and I will be there in October. I have seen some posts about using lockers. Are there some rides where you are not allowed to take a small backpack or purse? I am used to Disney where you can take them with you on any ride.

There’s a few rides nothing is allowed on you and lockers are required.

RRR
Hulk

Can’t recall the few others that is a hands free ride

In addition to the 2 above, bags are put in lockers (free for smaller bags) for the Mummy, Men in Black, Hagrid's, and Gringott's, although I did see a woman hiding her purse under a sweater last time I rode Gringott's. The last time I rode Forbidden Journey, I was allowed to keep my cross body purse, which was a new thing.

In addition to the 2 above, bags are put in lockers (free for smaller bags) for the Mummy, Men in Black, Hagrid's, and Gringott's, although I did see a woman hiding her purse under a sweater last time I rode Gringott's. The last time I rode Forbidden Journey, I was allowed to keep my cross body purse, which was a new thing.
I was wondering if a small cross body purse would be better than a small backpack

I use a large 3 prong fanny pack, the sort that is favored by medical personnel without much issue.

I don’t ride RRR or Hulk. have been sent on a walk of shame back to lockers on MIB:o. That time it was admittedly rather overstuffed with two water bottles.

Anyway, the following is courtesy of Orlando Informer but you might want to verify with Universal guest services department:

“For the safety of all guests, riders are not permitted to bring bags or loose articles on board certain attractions; in these instances, complimentary lockers are provided for the time it will take to queue and ride. At Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and The Incredible Hulk Coaster, all items and bags must be stowed, and guests will pass through a metal detector before entering the queue. The only exception at these two rides is a lanyard holding your park ticket, which you may be asked to tuck under your shirt.

At other attractions where lockers are provided – including Revenge of the Mummy, Men in Black Alien Attack, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure – there is a little more leeway. At these rides, there are no metal detectors, but all loose items must still be secured in the available lockers.

If you are wearing a fanny pack (or “bum bag,” as it’s known to our friends across the pond), it will only be permitted if the bag does not interfere with the safety restraint of the ride vehicle, and this is at the sole discretion of the team members. If you have any questions, we recommend that you speak to an employee, who can advise you on whether you must avail yourself of the lockers – this is especially important if you have items that you need to bring into the line for medical purposes, and the employees can assist with this, too.”

I was able to wear a string wallet type bag onto most of the non metal detector rides. I think it was either mummy or MIB they had me change it to around my waist because of the restraint.

I think a small crossbody purse would be best if you plan to ride any of the "locker" rides because the lockers are small. Unless the backpack is half empty, it will not fit in the lockers adjacent to these rides. If you have a three prong fanny pack, they will permit you to keep this on while you ride rather than using the lockers, but you will need to remove it for Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. Hulk and RRR do not allow anything on your person except for lanyards, and you will go through a metal detector when entering the queue. They send people back to the lockers if there's anything in their pockets.

I've not been during covid, but prior to, the lockers were a relatively quick process. For most (maybe all by now?), you use your park ticket to open the lockers. They are close to ride entrances and exits. Some people try to go bagless to avoid the lockers, but its never been enough of a nuisance to me to try and go without the things I like to carry with me.

FYI I read a recent trip report that said the lines for getting access to the lockers can be as long as the lines for the rides themselves (and you have to wait twice! once before and once after the ride to retrieve your stuff). If you can avoid needing a bag or purse that would save you some time.

I have a crossbody bag that converts to a 3-prong closure fanny pack. It's decently sized to carry all my essentials, and I just change it back and forth as I ride things that only allow fanny packs / bum bags. This will be the first trip that I try to ride Hulk or RRR, but one of my sons is very thrill ride averse, and he is fine to sit with mom's bags when I want to ride the big coasters.

FYI I read a recent trip report that said the lines for getting access to the lockers can be as long as the lines for the rides themselves (and you have to wait twice! once before and once after the ride to retrieve your stuff). If you can avoid needing a bag or purse that would save you some time.
I read that report too. And that is what prompted my post. But it seems even if you go bag less you still need to check your phone. So I guess there is no getting around it. I personally want to avoid some of the ride. I don't like loops because I don't Iike going upside down. My granddaughter is 12 and loves thrill rides. She may be going on some of those rides herself. I am sure I couldn't handle the Incredible Hulk. So I will hold our stuff while she goes on herself

I read that report too. And that is what prompted my post. But it seems even if you go bag less you still need to check your phone. So I guess there is no getting around it. I personally want to avoid some of the ride. I don't like loops because I don't Iike going upside down. My granddaughter is 12 and loves thrill rides. She may be going on some of those rides herself. I am sure I couldn't handle the Incredible Hulk. So I will hold our stuff while she goes on herself

For what its worth, I went recently on several weekdays and never saw a wait for lockers. Having a bag saves so much money on drinks and I can't imagine going without a poncho or hat.

So what if your backpack doesn't fit in the lockers? We plan to bring a regulars sized back pack. just because we are just coming for the day so I like to have my stuff with me lol. It won't be over full tho. Maybe we should re-think that.

So what if your backpack doesn't fit in the lockers? We plan to bring a regulars sized back pack. just because we are just coming for the day so I like to have my stuff with me lol. It won't be over full tho. Maybe we should re-think that.
Three are 2 sizes of lockers at the rides. They are both 14 inches wide and ~17 inches deep. The difference is in the height - 5.5 inches vs 13 inches.

The 5.5 inch lockers are "free while you ride" and are big enough for a small backpack or purse. My wife has a Kavu sling bag that fits and I use an Osprey Talon 11 that fits. The "free while you ride" is time based and the time is adjusted as the line times change. If you hit an unusual delay, it's possible that you may go over the time and would have to pay a $3 fee for 30 extra minutes. We only had that happen one time and it was our own fault.

The bigger lockers are not "free while you ride". They are $2 to rent. Before they started charging for these, I carried a laptop-style backpack that was pretty large. I was able to get that, my wife's Kavu bag, and 2 Coke Freestlye cups in a single locker, no problem.

The Freestyle cups can not stand up in the 5.5" lockers, so you have to make sure your cup is empty and lay it down.

Last trip, we had 6 people and I think 4 or 5 of us had small bags. At most rides, we took up 5 different small lockers. If the locker areas were busy, we felt bad hogging so many and paid the $3 to get one large one and stuffed as much in as we could. Whatever was left over, usually 1 bag, went to a small locker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter