• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

taking breaks with a young child in the offseason

S

susy

We are taking our DS (turning4) for his first time in Nov. We are staying off- site (at Courtyard Marriott in DD)and I'm thinking it will be a hassle to take a break, since we will have to take the monorail back to the TTC and drive back to the resort and back again. The park closes early and we really don't care about the fireworks that much (if they even have them then). Has anyone ever done the whole day at MK with a young child and did it go okay? We are taking a stroller and plan to take our time. I'm from S Florida and know that the heat takes it's toll. That's why we planned to go when it's cooler. We have a PS at CP at 11:45 and plan to take a small break on the Riverboat or Tom sawyer's Island. Will this plan work? I would really like to at least stay for the parade (around 3)

If he's not a napper, you should be ok. If he is a napper, will he nap in the stroller. My dd NEVER napped in a stroller until we took her to MGM last November (she was 2 at that time) and by 4:00 she crashed and we had a little umbrella stroller, no padding, no canopy, no paci, she just passed out! Normally she naps 1-2 hrs every afternoon in a crib. We stay on property to make sure we can go back for naptime because if she misses a "real" nap it just gives her the "fussies" for days!

But, if your ds doesn't really nap I would think he'd be ok especially if you take those breaks you mentioned. November is a great time to go. We were there the first week of November last year and it was really nice (cool mornings (unlike here:)) and warm afternoons), certainly bearable and usually no rain. We also have a trip planned for a few days the end of November to early December.

Have you thought about taking the DD transportation to the parks at all?

Where are you from ? We live in Hollywood. My son hasn't taken naps in over a year. He occasionally does on the weekends, if his dad does (he'll lay down with him and it's so cute). He might take a anp if he's really tired, but if he's out doing something he won't. I guess we'll play it by ear. We will also be coming back the next day (just for the morning) before we head home.Do you have season passes? We will be getting them for the first time.

Our children were 2 and 4 when we went to DW for the first time. 3 and 5 when we went the second. We never took breaks and didn't have any problems. The kids were in a perpetual good mood and did just fine without naps, though they were used to taking naps otherwise. They would fall asleep on the way back to the room and we'd just pour them in bed. No peeps til morning. It obviously depends on the child, but I think we would have had more trouble getting them to take breaks than going without them.

My DD was 3 the first time she went and we went all day. She wasn't much of a napper then so it wasn't a big deal. We had the stroller which she used and she was so excited by everything that to take her away would have caused more heartache than staying.

She's a pretty good natured kid overall so I wasn't worried about meltdowns due to overtiredness. We took it slow, realizing we would be back again (and again and again ;) ) and didn't over do it. We did spend time on things like the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house which was fascinating to her and we explored Tom Sawyer's Island which was a welcomed break for all! The train is also a great way to have some down time while enjoying the scenery -- and moving to the next area.

And while she enjoyed it all, when she got home she was asked what was her favorite part of the trip and she said the pool and being able to wear her sandals in February!

Of course every child is different but this was our experience.

We took our first daughter 2 years ago in April, when she was 3. She was still napping then. We stayed onsite at Coronado. On 3 of the 4 days we went to a park, we actually went back to Coronado for her nap. She didn't really want to leave but, she didn't put up much of a fuss. On our last day in at MK she took her nap in the umbrella stroller and was fine. I really didn't like leaving the parks at midday, because even staying on site, taking a midday break took at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (my DW insisted). There are quiet shaded places in all the park which you can take a break and in November the weather should be mild.

On our trip last November, we stayed 5 minutes away offsite. We brought our then 4 yo and new 1 yo DD's. We brought a double umbrella stroller that was reclinable. The 4 yo had stopped taking naps at home but actually fell asleep at the MK in the stroller and slept through the whole parade. The 1 yo took her naps in the stroller. It worked out well. During the nap Mommy would sit with the 1 yo, while I took the 4 yo on rides like Dumbo and Buzz.

If your child can fall asleep in a stroller, I wouldn't leave the parks for his nap. If he falls asleep you can find a quiet place to relax, if he doesn't you can continue to enjoy the park.

:)

Thanks for all the input! We were going to stay at WL , which was just a boat ride away. Since we changed to DD Marriott, it becomes a little more complicated. Having to walk to the monorail, then take it to the car, then walk to the car, then drive back to the hotel, then go upstairs-does this sound like rest so far????? I think the weather and crowds will really determine what we do. I can't imagine him falling asleep in the stroller (he's sooo BIG). If he did fall asleep, I would probably just get on the Riverboat and lay him down and just stay on it!!

We just got back last night on the 6th. We stayed on site at ASMu and we went back for a rest everyday...not for 2.5 year old DD, but for me! I was exhausted. We'd go back for a couple of hours and DS & DH would go swimming while DD & I took a nap. I don't know how far away your hotel was, but we really found that we had plenty of time in the parks, even with the 2 hour breaks. I didn't plan on taking breaks, I didn't want to waste any of our time, but I really needed them. If you think your child will be ok without a break, great...but don't push him or yourselves, you'll all be much happier if you rest when you need it.

Thanks for your input , Kathy! I think just playing it by ear is best for us. I guess if we get tired of just being around people, we will have to take a break ...... We are buying FL REs Season passes , so we will be back again and again, i hope...

Hi! We went in March to MK for just one day w/ 8,6,2,10mos old. Both the 10 mos. old and 2 yr old fell asleep in their stroller w/no problems. We are going to Courtyard in Dec. so I'm interested in seeing how your trip goes. I hope the buses are ok as I am relying on it!We were going to stay on site but I couldn't beat $29! Anyway, we also took a trip to WDW May 1999 with 6,4,and 9mos. old. We could of stayed all day and the only reason we took a break was b/c we wanted to swim--we live on a farm in a rural area and don't have many places to swim!!We stayed at the ASMo and I personally can't see the difference in distance from there and DD. I think unless you stay at monorail resort that any bus ride is about the same--maybe I am just naive!Well have fun and I think you'll be fine--I hope some days to not take a break either but I'll wait until you get back!!

Dutton,
If you are driving from GA, I would use your car to get around. I don't plan on using their bus, just because I want to come and go as I please. Anyway, my family is from Rentz, Ga. It is a small town near Dublin (I think). I will post a trip report when I get back, with special emphasis on things pertaining to how my son does. He will be four on Nov. 30. He's a big boy, but today we went to the mall and he kind of scared me when he didn't want to get too close to the Rainforset Cafe because of all the "animals " they have out front. I asked him "Marcus, how are you going to go to Disney if you're afraid of those fake little animals?"

We have been going in the off-season with our our now 4 year old and 18 month old boys--Bailey and Bradley, quite a bit. We are heading down in 2 weeks to OKW. We will break in the middle of the day. The little one will definitely nap. His brother will at least "rest". We stayed up in Kissimmee at Hampton Oaks condos when we only had one child --- 15 months and 18 months and we drove back and forth during the day for breaks and found it to be worthwhile. This was during September and early December, fairly slow times with reduced park hours. It just seemed to be for the best. It was fine. We would actually swim some before heading to Epcot or a mad dash through the MK or MGM. We did AK in the mornings and on the days that we hit MK and MGM, we were there when the gates opened and would stretch the day to about 1:00 pm or so. Three other trips: 2 to DXL and 1 to VWL were somewhat easier because of the quicker return to the resort. But we still followed pretty much the same pattern. We have been fortunate to visit alot so we don't feel the need to necessarily storm the parks. We are sure going to miss it when the big starts school. Good luck in your planning.

If your son can nap in the stroller than stay in the park. Your lunch at CP will give you at least an hour's break. My twins are usually great nappers. If they're tired, they will just tell us that they want to go to sleep. We were at MK last Monday for EE. It got very crowded so we left at 1pm. DH and I figured that the twins could take a nap back at the hotel room. That was a mistake, we should have just walked around the park until they napped in the stroller, they were pretty tired by then. They ended up taking a 10 minute snooze on the bus ride back to the YC. They usually nap for an hour. But after the bus ride, they weren't sleepy anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter