Taking DD and a GF to Halloween Horror and WDW. Are you scary Nuts? UPDATE 12/08

Joining in and loving your TR!!! It's like looking into the future when my DD4 and I will be making those teen trips to Disney. :scared1:

Sorry no updates for a while. Things were crazy here. Hope to work on it tomorrow and post then or the next day. Have to get this finished before we leave for Disapalooza on the 9th.

Today I remembered that this time last year I began a six week hospital stay. An interesting time and a long road to recovery but it was worth it. Despite starting the year seriously ill and barely able to walk, it has turned out to be a great year. Very thankful that I made it through that road block and was able to celebrate many things.

Personal DD update following:

Her version of Minnie for Halloween dress up day at school
IMG_2737.jpg

She went to her Homecoming dance this week and had a good time. The football team won 35-0 and are headed to the District Championships.

Homecoming week they let the kids play a bit. The theme this day was "Remembering History." She went as a flower child of the 60's. That's my Hippie girl.
IMG_2960.jpg

Photoon11-8-11at817AM2.jpg

Homecoming: Getting ready.
IMG_2968.jpg

Driving to the festivities
IMG_2970.jpg

Her date. According to her, "A friend. Not a Boyfriend."
homecoming1.jpg

With another friend at the dance
homecoming2.jpg

She also did a 10K on Saturday to prep for the Disney Half Marathon. She finished in 59 minutes.

Getting ready
IMG_2973.jpg

The crowd warming up
IMG_2977.jpg

Was not ready for her to pass my viewing area but got this pic right before she crossed the finish line
IMG_2985.jpg

Showing off her new hardware
IMG_2987.jpg

Sorry this is off track a bit but I promise to get back to the TR and post an update soon.

So I'm relatively new to your TRs and you mention that "next year" you spend six weeks in the hospital, so I'm confused. :confused3 How do you know? Or are you talking about the past? Hmmmm.....

I completely understand about illnesses as we were supposed to be in WDW about three weeks ago and are still dealing with recovery, but I'm just curious, it must have been last year that you were incapacitated not next year, unless you have great powers of foresight. If you have those powers, than please keep yourself out of harms way! :lmao:

Inquiring minds want to know! And I hope that you are doing well, as far as I know from your TR you are all good, recovering and planning to come to Cali next year! I would love to come out to DL and say "hi" when you are are here, you seem like fun, in a sarcastic kind of way!

Oops, my bad. I meant last year. Corrected it in the post. Wish I could be predict the future. That way, I would have won every lottery and travel non-stop. Sorry to hear about the illness and postponing your trip. I am doing great. Thanks for asking.

You have been busy. It looks like your daughter is building loads of senior year memories.

So what are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Our friends raise organic free range meat birds (chickens) along with their laying hens. Since the money from the chickens and eggs go into their girls' college funds we always buy a few birds and our weekly eggs from our friends. This year a couple of our birds weighed in at nine pounds. Since it will just be our family for Turkey day we will be having - chicken.

Finally.

It does exist.

My God - what a puzzle to find it! What a head hurting investigation that was.....:rotfl2:

I will catch up with it.

Extra trips! Yeah for that.

Saturday, October 14 Part 2 Whats next? AKA It doesn’t start till when?

Tea done and we have time to kill. The question is what next? Well we are on the monorail loop so why not go exploring?

Bye GF see you in a little bit
IMG_2827.jpg

The Contemporary across the pond
IMG_2826.jpg

The MK all decked out for Halloween. Purty. Never went during Halloween time. One of thes days I will make it along with not so scary.
IMG_2828.jpg

Number Seven
IMG_2833.jpg

And “The Kid.”
IMG_2834.jpg

Co-Conspirators
IMG_2835.jpg

Decided to get off at the Poly. Thought that the other kid would like to see it. Once again, my instincts were good. They took about 10 minutes for two poses. All the time giving me directions. Hey Kidos, I take a pretty good picture. Maybe not these but then again, think of the subject matter.
IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

OK, this is not such a good one but I had to include it. The Princess Pirate Mickey. Arrg!
IMG_2838.jpg

Nice background
IMG_2839.jpg

Much shopping was going on as I just wandered around. She picked up a Pluto animal/pillow thing. They were finally bored and we went outside to explore the grounds. A look at the pool and then I started walking a certain way. DD started to talk about the time she spent at the Kid’s club here. It really left a strong impression. She was always a social animal and did not suffer from separation anxiety at all. We had no problem dropping her off at one of the kids‘ clubs. Neverland was by far her favorite. The first time she went was probably about 5. When she toured she remembered they used to have a slide through the window to get into the club and a big alligator to play on. Both are long gone. After a little while reminiscing with her friend, she asked if we could stop by the place. My response was, “Where do you think we are going?” Soon we were here.
IMG_2845.jpg

We went in and I told the CM that Princess was an Alumnus of the Club and was hoping she could show her friend. Since no kids were there, they were allowed to do wander around. I went outside to chill in the lush grounds. They took a couple of pics. That was until a CM told them that pictures were not allowed.

They are still kids at heart
IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

They saw ducks and had to take a picture.
IMG_2846.jpg

What a life the “wild animals” must be at WDW. I can imagine their conversations, Duck 1, “What are we going to do today?” Duck 2, “Lets go by the food court for lunch and then we can head to EPCOT.” Duck 2, “Nah, we there all week for Food and Wine. I’m thinking we go to the Magic Kingdom. We can hang out at the Jungle Cruise and then a snack at Aloha Isle. We might get lucky and some kid will drop a Dole Whip.” Duck 1, “Umm, Dole Whip. I’m sold.”

While the ducks were consulting the Lines App., we decided to head back. Got this of “cleared grounds” by the Grand Floridian. Did not see any signs of construction of the expected DVC resort there. Princess loves the GF and can’t wait to stay there.
IMG_2847.jpg

Got the car and headed to the planned surprise resort. Found out the surprise wasn’t going to start for a number of hours. Oops. DD looked at me with that disappointing look when I screw up. She uses that look a lot. They still had now idea what was going on but they did not want to sit here for a couple of hours. We did look around the place and they found this. DD had to have a picture.
IMG_2849.jpg

Now what to do? DD wanted to show 7 the Boardwalk. Sure, why not. Drive over there and was hit with a bad show Disney moment. Not so much for me but for guests staying there. Pull up to the guard shack and told the white lie that we were having dinner. He tells me that I could either pay for valet or park at Downtown Disney and take a bus back. We were doing valet anyway so I pull up. Pass the valet lot and see a sign it was full. Huh? The entrance was a mess. Cars were either waiting or parked all over the place. Some were turning around in the driveway. Took us a while when we finally pulled in front of the resort.

Valet then informs us that they were turning away everyone except those with handicapped permits. Luckily we have one so we were allowed to use valet. I later posted on the DVC board my experience and then others who were staying at the resort that weekend told their horror stories. I never stayed at BW during Food and Wine and I know parking here is a challenge. Some guests told of parking in the CM lot, or way out in the boondocks and not allowed access to the main guest parking lot. Seems there was a big convention going on that was using the BW facilities and it was said they received exclusive access to the guest lot. And this included people staying at other resorts and were not BW guests. WHAT?

OK, soapbox firmly below my feet. I can understand if people (like us that day) want to tour the resort, and are denied parking access. But guests staying there? DVC members pay dues for that lot’s upkeep. If someone told me that I would have gone BALLISTIC. The guests staying at the Inn are paying a small fortune for their rooms. AND NOT BE ABLE TO PARK ANYWHERE NEAR THE RESORT! The Boardwalk is always a challenge finding a spot but guests at the resort need first priority. This was inexcusable. They need to provide gated parking area with access only for resort guests. Enough said on that.

So anyway we got through the hoops of parking the car. Didn’t take any pictures of the resort but the other kid was impressed. I love walking into this place. We were there when the Boardwalk officially opened and immediately fell in love with the place. I know it has detractors but it is by far my favorite DVC resort.

We go down the staircase and by what I call the “Great Lawn.” Its a NY City reference. From there we walked around. DD wants to head over to the Y/B Club. I’m not sure I want to walk that far but finally give in. Walked around there a little bit and stopped by Beaches and Cream. They watched as a kitchen sink was presented. And yes, they used A WHOLE CAN.

It was starting to get a little dark so we went back to the Boardwalk to see some of the entertainment. On the way back we saw this sunset. Wow. These pics are nice but not as impressive as the real thing. Saw many beautiful sunsets here but this one was amazing.

IMG_2850-1.jpg

IMG_2851-1.jpg

IMG_2852-1.jpg

IMG_2853-1.jpg

IMG_2854-2.jpg

And my favorite. I wanted to catch the light as it was passing the glass and just missed it.
IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2859-1.jpg

The girls enjoying the view
IMG_2858-1.jpg

The sun soon moved on and so did we. Found a crowd and the girls sat down to enjoy the show.
IMG_2862-1.jpg

She shot a short video. As you can hear, all the kids enjoyed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnwM2F5lvc&feature=player_detailpage

My favorite entertainer was just starting a show so I called the kids over and we went down a little bit to see him. Don’t know his name but he is the one that tools around on a bike. I mistakenly walk behind the “stage” area and he turned around then commented to the crowd that he guesses I had a “backstage pass.” The kids enjoyed that. He did a few things including a card trick. When he was doing that trick, he kept showing me different cards and asking if it was the right one? I of course shook my head no.

Love the entertainment they provide. Always a good time at night here. After her revealed the chosen card, it was time to go. Car is retrieved and we head to the other resort.

Out of picture space so thats it for now. Next update is the surprise. Will have that one up before Thanksgiving. I hope. Don’t hold me to it.

Up next: Saturday, October 14 Part 3 A few drinks and more than a couple of laughs. AKA Where are you from?

What a life the “wild animals” must be at WDW. I can imagine their conversations, Duck 1, “What are we going to do today?” Duck 2, “Lets go by the food court for lunch and then we can head to EPCOT.” Duck 2, “Nah, we there all week for Food and Wine. I’m thinking we go to the Magic Kingdom. We can hang out at the Jungle Cruise and then a snack at Aloha Isle. We might get lucky and some kid will drop a Dole Whip.” Duck 1, “Umm, Dole Whip. I’m sold.”

I TOTALLY laughed at this one! :rotfl2:

Great Sunset shots!

Thanks for sharing DD's accomplishments!! Can't wait for the next installment!

You have been busy. It looks like your daughter is building loads of senior year memories.

So what are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Our friends raise organic free range meat birds (chickens) along with their laying hens. Since the money from the chickens and eggs go into their girls' college funds we always buy a few birds and our weekly eggs from our friends. This year a couple of our birds weighed in at nine pounds. Since it will just be our family for Turkey day we will be having - chicken.

Thanks to both of you. DD is having a great year. After everything she has gone through the past couple of years, she deserves it. I don’t know if I mentioned that she will be running the WDW half in January. Finally talked her into it. I had to give her something and I think it was letting her drive the car for Homecoming and sleeping over at a friend’s house afterward.

Thanksgiving is my favorite meal of the year. For years I acted as cook just to make sure it is done right. After last year eating pressed turkey sitting in hospital bed, thanksgiving will be all the favorites. Caprese salad, turkey, portabella risotto stuffing (in the bird), mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries (still haven’t decided how they will be cooked), roasted garlic asparagus and home made rolls. Desert will be either made by the Princess or store bought.

I would love to have access to fresh eggs, free range poultry. Mine is a frozen butterball. Usually I get a minimum 15 pounder even if it is just us. If we are having friends over, I get the biggest one I can find. Just love turkey leftovers. This year’s is only 13 pounds.

Planning a big weekend. My dive buddy from the UK will be in the states so he is flying down Thursday afternoon. We will eat, probably immediately fall asleep and head to the Keys Friday morning. The Diving Pirate Princess will be with us Friday and drive back to spend the weekend here. We will stay for a few more days of diving and kicking back in the Keys.

Finally.

It does exist.

My God - what a puzzle to find it! What a head hurting investigation that was.....:rotfl2:

I will catch up with it.

Extra trips! Yeah for that.

It is a whole different world on this board and I am getting my butt kicked badly from the other TRs over here. Yep. More trips in the works. These were mainly on the fly decisions. Have not seen Harry Potter yet so I thought the Dis event would be a great way to experience it. When DD decided to run the half, another trip was needed. Trying to get a reservation for Aulani for next June but I heard reservations on points are pretty hard to score. If that doesn’t come through we will go to Europe for her graduation trip. Looking like 2012 will be a busy (and fun) year.

I TOTALLY laughed at this one! :rotfl2:

Great Sunset shots!

Always wondered what it would like to be reincarnated as a WDW “wild bird” resident. Thanks for the comment on the pics. My camera has a full manual mode but the girls wanted to move on so I didn’t get a chance to play with it. Just left it on auto, framed the shot and pushed the button. Nature did everything else.

Trying to get an update done before Turkey Day (or Chicken Day in Kate’s case). It is looking less likely. If I don’t do that, it will have to wait until after the weekend. Only a couple more sections to go. Promise this will finished before we leave in December. Never left a TR incomplete before another Disney trip. (Barry if you see this, yes I am talking to you.) Will probably do a combined Dec/Jan one. Probably will have to post it over here because only 1 day will be spent at a DVC resort. Have to do a pure DVC trip so I can post it there.

Ok, I'm lazy this morning and didn't go back to quote.

Despite not going to a park, it looks like you've found a way to spend a fun-filled day on Disney property. I think it is great that you're taking 7 around to the different resorts and showing her some of the special places in Disney World. That's really cool that they got to go in the Kid's Club.

I agree with you about the BW parking situation. I've never stayed there, but I completely agree that if I paid that kind of money either to own DVC or rent a room for a few nigths, I'd be irate if I couldn't park there.:headache:

IMG_2850-1.jpg

The girls enjoying the view
IMG_2858-1.jpg

Only on page one but these need a bumping. Holy crap - what gorgeous shots. :3dglasses

It is a whole different world on this board and I am getting my butt kicked badly from the other TRs over here. This humble crap just isn't working for me! ;) Smiling. Let it be known that my puzzle wasn't about this part of the DIS. I simply pressed your link (which suddenly appeared :confused3) and came here. Figuring out what Sandy was talking about was my head hurting expedition. I actually couldn't even figure out if there was a TR. :rotfl2: And of course I thought the regular spot. You are hardly getting your butt kicked. I just checked this section out. Are you aware that some have none or few replies. :confused3 And are in the completed? :confused3 (totally don't get that) What a whirlwind. This section is serious stuff, eh? But we all know when someone reads your TRs - they are hooked. Obviously humble. :goodvibes Yep. More trips in the works. YEAH. SO JEALOUS. I HAVE ZERO BOOKED. popcorn:: These were mainly on the fly decisions. Live for that. Have not seen Harry Potter yet so I thought the Dis event would be a great way to experience it. What DIS event? I really have to go a hunting again. :lmao:When DD decided to run the half, another trip was needed. Good for her. I am on a thread where ALL the girls run. And they do the Princess. I am the only non-runner who must get her butt down there to cheer them on - or I'm in big trouble. Life made it impossible the last two years. Trying to get a reservation for Aulani for next June but I heard reservations on points are pretty hard to score. If that doesn’t come through we will go to Europe for her graduation trip. Is it wrong for me to wish that you don't get it? :rotfl2:;) I guess it is. But here's my rationale for such bratty behaviour - Hawaii (gorgeous) or Europe? EUROPE please and thank you. Door number two for sure! Looking like 2012 will be a busy (and fun) year.

Certainly does look like a fun year. I'll try to keep my envy in check. :goodvibes Well forget it if it ends up to be Europe. That would be futile.

Age? Not important.

:rotfl2:. I don't know :confused3 - just like this. :rotfl2:

Also a good kid and student who is very polite. Not used to that so I don’t know how I will react.

:laughing:. So she's not Cinco's long lost cousin. ;)

Finally called reservations and they were able to get me the room for $88 Florida Resident rate. Cool!

Well if no DVC - that's a nice bonus.

This will be totally by the seat of our pants. No ADRs and other than HHN nothing planned. Most of my trips are planned out like an invasion but I occasionally do this. Makes life fun.

Somehow I agree. :rolleyes1

Come on "not planning" = fun?

:scared1:

Covering my ears. ;)

Nice shot.

Medical report over, back to the trip.

Wow, that must have been scary - the not knowing. Glad to hear she's doing well.

We encountered a sky writer spreading the love of their faith. No comments from me. The girls were fascinated and tried to figure out what the message was. Think the scene in The Christmas story where Ralphie is using his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring.

:goodvibes

Pulled into the guard shack and said one of my favorite phrases, “We are checking in.”

Yes sir. Favourite is better and prettier though. ;) It is, isn't it?

Meanwhile I met up with the kids, who were exploring. GF was very excited and impressed with the theming. This happened through the trip. On her few visits to the World, she never stayed on property and it was basically an in an out experience. She really appreciated the detail they put into the resort. Like many, her parents are struggling during these tough economic times and can’t splurge like DD and I can. Her smile and excitement was infectious and made me smile.

Favourite part so far. Truly. I love moments like that. One of my best moments at WDW is watching someone I love watch Wishes. So wonderful.

Got back into the car and headed to our room. Finally found it after just one wrong turn. They were the pack mules this time and carried most of the stuff up to the room. They also went to fetch ice. So far so good.

Pack mules. :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Princess is fascinated by animals. She loves any creature. So much so that her convictions led her to become a vegetarian. Although she loved meat, she decided that she would not eat animal flesh. That was over 5 years ago. Makes dinner time at home challenging but easily taken care of at WDW.

Oh no. Not to be shared with me. :surfweb: I suffer and then eat meat anyway. popcorn:: Year after year after year.....

They began the hour plus long ritual to get ready and make themselves presentable.

:rotfl2: LOVE IT. Why don't you? :lmao:

Great start. :3dglasses

I made it!!! I'm so glad I saw this cause I do NOT like missing any of your TR's! So excited to read this one! Your DD is just stunning!! I just booked our big family trip for next year so unfortunately, that's the only trip I have planned. Exciting part of that for me is that I'll live vicariously through your TR's! How your Mac working for you? I've made some strides and actually started a little newsletter for the family going to WDW with us next year. Since my DH and I will be the only "regulars" with the rest (all 8 of them) being first timers, I have lots to tell them. But, I digress, the MAC was awesome in creating these newsletters!

Morning from beautiful but windy Key Largo. Condiditons on the water are terrible so we have yet to go out. Get back home tomorrow so expect and update Tuesday or more probably Wednesday.

Hope everyone had a geat Thanksgiving. For the folks in Canada, I hope you had an excellent Thursday

OK, know this sounds like a broken record but the TR will continue soon. Will be working on it tomorrow.

Just wanted to pass on the news that we will be going to Aulani. Booked a week stay this morning. Very excited.

Just wanted to pass on the news that we will be going to Aulani. Booked a week stay this morning. Very excited.

The folks in Canada say:

Fantastic! You nabbed it!!!! Very happy for you. Really. Yes I wanted Europe ;) but since I'm not going :rotfl2: well fantastic.

You must be thrilled CJ - especially with diving.

Can't wait to see the pictures on that TR. :thumbsup2 And can't wait to go one day as well.

OK, know this sounds like a broken record but the TR will continue soon. Will be working on it tomorrow.

Yea!!! Another TR for us. :banana: Yes???

kate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!