Talking Fountain

DisneyFanGuy

Disney Nut
I wanted to share a fun story.

We were at IOA on the 17th, and were heading toward Suess Landing about 1/2 hour before the park closed. (The last time we were there, we missed most of SL because of a huge rainstorm) On the way we passed the famous Talking Fountain in the Lost Continent section.

The fountain was chatting away and surrounded by kids. My kids went up to say hello and never left. That silly fountain kept them entertained until the park closed with hilarious dialog, squirting water, music, etc. My wife and I were in stitches on the sideline. The fountain even drew me in by "scolding" me for wearing a Mickey Mouse tee shirt in a Universal Park. This little half hour of time was the highlight of our day! (We AGAIN didn't make it to Suess Landing!)

It reminded me of when I was 6 years old visiting Knotts Berry Farm in the sixties. They had a "talking corpse" in their Ghost Town section that chatted with kids as they walked up. That was 25 years ago, and I still remember that moment when the thing spoke to me. It's long gone, but sorely missed by folks like me!

That fountain is an example of what Disney used to do best, but doesn't seem to do as much anymore. They should, because those 30 magical minutes were one of the highlights of our entire 11 day vacation! When I asked my 8 year old, 12 year old, and 15 year old their favorite thing about the park that day, they all said together that the best part was chatting with the "Fountain named Bob".

Very cool, Universal! Keep it up!

It is quite a unique little thing. I enjoy listening in when I have nothing to do, but when I do have something to do I try not to listen because I just know it's hard to leave. And I would scold you too for wearing a Mickey shirt!

I totally agree. When the park opened, the fountain was a throwaway bit, a little extra thing that wasn;'t even mentioned on the park map.

Now it's the star of the Lost Continent!

I'm a big theater fan and I'm always amazed at how the cheapest stage effects -- the ones that rely on creativity and imagination instead of a big budget -- are so often the most effective.

Originally posted by kellymonaghan
I totally agree. When the park opened, the fountain was a throwaway bit, a little extra thing that wasn;'t even mentioned on the park map.

Now it's the star of the Lost Continent!

]Kelly i think i just heard MYTHOS canceling your reservation for that rissoto

I'm a big theater fan and I'm always amazed at how the cheapest stage effects -- the ones that rely on creativity and imagination instead of a big budget -- are so often the most effective.

I know what you mean i am a big MAE WEST fan as well:D

Whoever is behind the controls of that fountain has the best job in the whole park. Getting paid to tell jokes and squirt people with water cannons is great. Where do I pick up an application? :jester:

I agree the fountain is one of the undiscovered highlights of the park!

Can Universal please put an Auction on Ebay allowing someone to be the fountain for a day? I'm sure the bidding would go into the thousands!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter