Tampa Hot Chocolate 15k 2018

tabersdismom24

Earning My Ears
Ok, so since I can't do every RD event being that I am an Illinoisian, I was trying to plan runs in the Orlando area on the dates that we visit. The Tampa Hot Cholocate 15k should fall within that time frame this year. So for those of you locals, do the logistics make sense if I am staying at Wilderness Lodge and want to get to Tampa early Sunday morning to do the race? I'm unsure if an Orlando based Uber will go that far (did I mention small town Illinois? No idea how uber/lyft works). Taxi rates to get there and back would be outrageous. I've considered renting a car but I'm not sure if I could get one that early or if it is worth. I would also be flying out that day so I guess I could drop it off at the airport and forego the Tragical Express. I am a determined kind of girl, but if there are too many hoops to jump through I know the hubs won't go for it.:scared: Any other ideas or should I call it a wash????

Personally, I wouldn't want to take an Uber or Taxi that far. Depending on where exactly it is in Tampa, it's at least an hour drive plus whatever awesome traffic I4 serves up that morning. Certain Uber drivers will probably take you that far but you have to find one willing to at an early hour, which may not happen.

I think renting a car would be your best bet...you could always pick it up the night before if you can't get it early enough and drop off at the airport like you mentioned.

I've done races in Tampa as part of a Disney trip but I stayed in the Tampa area the night before the race and had a car. I have driven farther than Orlando to Tampa for a day-of race but I would rent a car to do it if I were you. You will also want to check if you need to pick up the packet the day before. I have done a few Hot Chocolate races and they always had packet pickup in advance. I don't remember if day-of was an option or not.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take an Uber or Taxi that far. Depending on where exactly it is in Tampa, it's at least an hour drive plus whatever awesome traffic I4 serves up that morning. Certain Uber drivers will probably take you that far but you have to find one willing to at an early hour, which may not happen.

I think renting a car would be your best bet...you could always pick it up the night before if you can't get it early enough and drop off at the airport like you mentioned.

Thanks for the info!

I've done races in Tampa as part of a Disney trip but I stayed in the Tampa area the night before the race and had a car. I have driven farther than Orlando to Tampa for a day-of race but I would rent a car to do it if I were you. You will also want to check if you need to pick up the packet the day before. I have done a few Hot Chocolate races and they always had packet pickup in advance. I don't remember if day-of was an option or not.

Thanks for the info! Packet pick-up is something to like about. Thanks for the info! Checking into car rentals or possible room rates in Tampa!

I think you can pick up a rental car at the Car Care Center by the TTC. I want to say it's Enterprise? It definitely would be easier if you have a car because that's gonna be a crazy expensive Uber/Lyft roundtrip.

I know they don’t offer day of pickup which is why I’ve never run it- I live an hour ish away which is fine for race day but I’m not driving it twice.. I think you can have it mAiled but it almost doubles the bib price

Thank you for all of the input and suggestions! If car rentals are affordable, I may just talk to the hubs into renting a car, driving to the expo with me and playing with our daughter on the beach the day while I do packet pickup and then coming back alone on Sunday. He has been dying to do Universal during a Disney trip, so I could possibly sucker him into a longer car rental for that purpose...but then we would have to pay the dreaded overnight car fees. (gasp) Decisions...again, thanks for the helpful feedback!

I know they don’t offer day of pickup which is why I’ve never run it- I live an hour ish away which is fine for race day but I’m not driving it twice.. I think you can have it mAiled but it almost doubles the bib price

I think I paid $14 for it to be mailed for the Seattle race that was earlier this month, which was less than half the bib fee for the 15k. I would have also had to pay for parking and deal with traffic getting there so for me it was worth it. I wish Rock N Roll offered the same thing since I'll have to do bib pick up after work on a Friday but it's at least in a more accessible section of the city than HC was.

Thank you for all of the input and suggestions! If car rentals are affordable, I may just talk to the hubs into renting a car, driving to the expo with me and playing with our daughter on the beach the day while I do packet pickup and then coming back alone on Sunday. He has been dying to do Universal during a Disney trip, so I could possibly sucker him into a longer car rental for that purpose...but then we would have to pay the dreaded overnight car fees. (gasp) Decisions...again, thanks for the helpful feedback!

Generally rental cars in Orlando are pretty cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!