Taxi to Walmart for a uk visitor

thestevied

DIS Veteran
hi all

Staying at grand Floridian this November and we will do a shopping trip to the premium outlets in Vineland as we do every time we come over, but also wanted to have a little look in the Walmart on Vineland before we head back to the resort.

I know how to get a taxi from the hotel to premium outlets and I know how we get a taxi from the outlets back to the hotel. My question is, if we go straight from the outlets to Walmart and spend maybe an hour in there, what's the easiest way to have a taxi pick us up from Walmart and take us back to grand Floridian? We budget for taxis in our spending money so cost isn't an issue. I don't want to use my phone as coming from England it costs a fortune even just to send a text message. So can I ask the taxi driver that takes us from the outlets to Walmart to come back and pick us up in an hour? Are there phones I'll be able to use at Walmart? What would the best option be? Just not sure of the protocol regarding taxis.

Thanks!

A possible option (although maybe not a good option) - I saw Uber gift cards at my local Target. (I'm not in Orlando.) If you had an Uber gift card and if Wal-Mart had wifi, maybe you could download the Uber app, enter the gift card info, and then use your phone (with wifi) to request an Uber.

I mention the gift card thing because my friend from Ireland found it impossible to get the Uber app to accept her credit card. If you could get the Uber or Lyft app to accept your credit card, it would be even easier.

I haven't been in that particular Wal-Mart, but I don't recall seeing pay phones in the two Wal-Marts in my home town. Pay phones are really disappearing.

Thanks for the advice. Might look into an uber gift card and check if Walmart has wifi.

OP, you might want to look and see what else is around the Walmart within walking distance that might have free wi-fi: Starbucks or another type of coffee shop, hotels, etc. The hotels might not have free public wi-fi, but they can certainly call you a cab from there.

Could you just buy a cheap prepaid phone at the Walmart then you could make calls in the US? Something like a trac phone.

Maybe see if you can order the taxi via a website. There would be wifi most likely at the outlet and definitely at Walmart

The walmarts around here (1) have Taxi stands that usually have at least one taxi waiting; and (2) customer service will call a taxi for customers. Some Walmarts have a phone somewhere near the entrance that is a direct line to the taxi company.

Not sure if Orlandos are similar.

SW

Last time we went there was a rank outside and we got a cab from there, cost about the same price so made no difference to us really

The walmarts around here (1) have Taxi stands that usually have at least one taxi waiting; and (2) customer service will call a taxi for customers. Some Walmarts have a phone somewhere near the entrance that is a direct line to the taxi company.

Not sure if Orlandos are similar.

SW
That would make it easier! Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Walmarts in the area, but if you look up the store and post the phone number, somebody in the US could call and find out the wifi/taxi situation for you.

I used to live right next to Universal in Orlando. All the businesses in the "Attractions Area" are used to dealing with tourists from all over the world. Calling cabs for international visitors is something that happens pretty much every day.

You should be able to just go to Customer Service at Walmart and they should be able to call a cab. If you want to use a particular cab company, have that number available for them to use.

OP, you might want to look and see what else is around the Walmart within walking distance that might have free wi-fi: Starbucks or another type of coffee shop, hotels, etc. The hotels might not have free public wi-fi, but they can certainly call you a cab from there.

If you have issues at Walmart (or the line is super long), you might do what FCDub suggests.

Assuming you're going to the Kissimmee Walmart on Vineland (the closest to the Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets), you'll have two nearby options.
walmartvineland-nearbygas.jpg

Link to Bing map: https://binged.it/2v9RAua

Walmart is on the right. There's a Chevron gas station that has desk that sells theme park tickets. They will certainly be able to help you. Plus, there's a Wawa Gas Station just across N Poinciana Blvd.

That's great info, thanks so much. As you're in the know and a local, do you know if the Walmart on Vineland is walking distance to Orlando premium outlets?

It's 4 miles. You could walk it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Can I ask you something? Why are visitors from the UK so obsessed with Walmart? I hate going there so much.
Nope. Defo won't be walking that then in the heat. Just curiosity about the different foods you guys have to us. I love cooking. And I love eating. So a big part of travelling abroad to any country is seeing what different foods there are. And drinks. And some stuff I can buy to bring back home with me, stuff that I can't buy in disney world. So if it's close to where we are and we can easily drop in one for 30-60 minutes then I'd do it. It's not the Walmart I'm excited about, just what is inside it!

Nope. Defo won't be walking that then in the heat. Just curiosity about the different foods you guys have to us. I love cooking. And I love eating. So a big part of travelling abroad to any country is seeing what different foods there are. And drinks. And some stuff I can buy to bring back home with me, stuff that I can't buy in disney world. So if it's close to where we are and we can easily drop in one for 30-60 minutes then I'd do it. It's not the Walmart I'm excited about, just what is inside it!
Okay, that's something that I can understand. When I was in London, I went into Budgen's and bought a ton of stuff. I love grocery stores in other countries.

There are better options than Walmart for grocery shopping, though. There is a Publix across the street from the Orlando Premium Outlets. That's where I would go if I were you.

Oh, and to address your WiFi question from earlier: free WiFi is very common in the US. That was the biggest surprise for me about London - not having free WiFi in basically every shop and restaurant. Here, it's extremely rare that I go somewhere and I have to use my data.

There are better options than Walmart for grocery shopping, though. There is a Publix across the street from the Orlando Premium Outlets. That's where I would go if I were you.

So if we get a taxi to Orlando premium outlets and shop there for a while, could we walk to the publix and then back to the outlets for a taxi? If publix is as good as Walmart then that would be a much better option.

IMG_9157.jpg Looks like that's going to be much closer and easier to do. So what's the difference between publix and Walmart? Quality? Choice? We have five or six popular supermarkets in England which range in gmthe quality of goods they sell.

Publix is a good quality grocery store. It has a better selection of groceries than Walmart, but it doesn't have housewares and clothes like Walmart does.

I hate going to Walmart so much. I always leave there in a bad mood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter