TDR closed until March 15th

Once they closed schools early for the year it made sense to close Disney. Does it really make sense for those families on sudden holiday to go running to a theme park? I'm expecting to hear similar from Universal.
As for the re-opening date, well, it gives everyone a bit of time to see what happens with coronavirus. If the spread seems to have stopped, they reopen just in time for Japanese families' planned vacations.
Of course, if not, I'd guess the shutdown will be extended.
But these are all my unofficial guesses. I have no inside knowledge or epidemic expertise.

Once they closed schools early for the year it made sense to close Disney. Does it really make sense for those families on sudden holiday to go running to a theme park? I'm expecting to hear similar from Universal.
As for the re-opening date, well, it gives everyone a bit of time to see what happens with coronavirus. If the spread seems to have stopped, they reopen just in time for Japanese families' planned vacations.
Of course, if not, I'd guess the shutdown will be extended.
But these are all my unofficial guesses. I have no inside knowledge or epidemic expertise.
I’m kind of surprised they’re only closed until March 15 honestly. I could see it getting extended

I’m kind of surprised they’re only closed until March 15 honestly. I could see it getting extended
I would not be surprised to see it extended. I'm just thinking that perhaps they are thinking that covers the 2 week incubation/contagion/whatever period and maybe by then they'll have a better idea of what is going on with the virus?
I'm sure they would like to not have to give up all that spring break (incl expensive hotel nights) revenue.
Whether that works out or not, is another story.
ETA: plus this puts immediate brakes on anyone's idea (if they should happen to get such an idea) of running off to the parks b/c of no school. Now I'm getting redundant though, so I'll quit this post and go back to studying Japanese.

Last edited:
Agree that an extension is likely. They will probably repeatedly reassess the risks and extend as needed depending on how the situation evolves, but it also makes sense to not declare a closure for a long period of time when it may not end up being necessary.

I think they are really hoping it is ok to open on the 15th as that is peak season for them (originally the start of the school breaks). But yeah, it'll probably get extended.

LAX no longer offering flights to Tokyo after March 7. I forgot which airline (s).

I think United is cancelling a lot of their Narita flights but still has Haneda service. American Airlines and Delta are likely to follow suit to cancel some Japan flights in the next few days.

I think United is cancelling a lot of their Narita flights but still has Haneda service. American Airlines and Delta are likely to follow suit to cancel some Japan flights in the next few days.
I wonder how full any of the current flights are.

LAX no longer offering flights to Tokyo after March 7. I forgot which airline (s).
We had a trip planned for September but had to put it off this was before the Coronavirus. I was planning on my airfare to be around $1000 to $1100. Just searched I can now fly delta for $700 round trip in September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!