Teachers...do you want to hear from parents?

That's ridiculous! An IEP is a legal document detailing what accomodations we are required to provide! Not reading one ahead of time is absolutely not an option. I'm so glad the year turned out to be a good one despite the bad start.

I know, eh? And she was providing none of them, because she felt that labels were limiting. I do think I got through to her, somewhat, with regards to the simple fact that the boy couldn't hear. :laughing:

Ironically, a couple years later, after all the fluid cleared out of his ears, he ended up with "acute" hearing and perfect pitch.

(And it wasn't even the most ridiculous thing we had to deal with over his school career, either.)

I once got one of those once that simply asked me to describe DS "in a million words or less". I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but it turned out to be one of his best years ever!

To the OP, definitely let the teacher know. I'd keep it fairly short and "heads up-ish" in tone (rather than "helicopter-y") and I think he/she will appreciate knowing what's going on.

I got one this year from one of DS's 6th grade teachers (and not even his homeroom teacher!). I gave permission for her to share with his other teachers, but I wish they all requested this.

To the OP, if it is elementary school, I see no problem with giving the teacher a heads up...don't write a novel if it is not requested. If it is middle school or high school, I know they encourage the kids to talk to teachers and deal with issues. If there really is an issue (like he can't concentrate, crying at school, etc.), then I might give the school counselor a heads up.

A very good friend of my ds13 passed away less than a week ago. School starts here in a few weeks and I will email the teacher and possibly the office to let them know. We were also in the airport for the Fort Lauderdale shooting in January. Ds is already seeing someone for anxiety and doing well, but I know my boy and losing his friend is going to impact him greatly for a long time to come. I don't need the teacher to do anything specific but if school and home are on the same page we are better able to assist ds when needed. If he needs to excuse himself to go do some deep breathing for example, it helps if the teacher knows why he's asking to leave for a minute or two.

I think there is a huge difference between being "that parent" and making sure that all of the adults in a child's life have all the information needed to be on the same page.

question for you teachers. Do you like your students' parents to email you at the beginning of classes? Is it helpful to hear my opinion of my child?

Ex: my ds wears his heart on his sleeve. His older sister (bff, and summer babysitter) just went to college. He is having trouble sleeping, etc. As mom, I want to email but dh says why bother.

While I think open communication is important between teacher and parents, what exactly do you expect from the teacher when given this info? I agree with your DH on this one - not info your son's teacher needs. But I would talk to your son about behavior and expectations, and what he can do if he is feeling sad in school. Even getting him to explain to his teacher that he is struggling because he misses his sister would be a good skill for him to have. And then they can figure out a way to get him to be able to cope in school and be successful.

I probably wouldn't inform the teachers over something like that OP. If my child is having issues in class and the teacher reaches out to me to see if anything is going on then I would share the info.

As a preschool teacher, I find those types of insights to be very helpful. Sometimes we'll notice a behavior switch mid-year and later find out that something significant has changed in the child's life. It always helps us to know where things are coming from. It's also helpful for us to know what kinds of conversations may come up.
....not so much as a sixth-grade teacher though....

I'm a middle school teacher....I have the students fill out a "Student Information" sheet which includes the question, "Is there anything you really want me to know about you?" and I give examples of illness in the family, student has asthma, etc....
....I do something similar....I really love Minions and my classroom is evident of that love....I created a ditto "One in a Minion ME!" that the students fill out.....then, I go around the room and ask each student to share something about themselves that most people would probably not know about them. Of course, if they are on the shy side, I don't force them to reply [that in itself, is telling]....I appreciate when parents keep an open line of communication. However, I resent when they begin to believe that I am at their beck-and-call. I had a parent 2 years ago that did just that - and questioned EVERYTHING I did. I received 8 emails by the 4th week of school and had to bring this to the attention of the guidance counselor to 'nip it in the bud'.....

I'm not a teacher, my Jr High age daughter's first English assignment was a "let me know about your child" sheet for me to fill out.

I don't know that I would email with the things you're talking about OP. I'd probably wait until back to school night or if issues started arising at school. I would however always let a teacher know about life changing events.

....I do something similar....I really love Minions and my classroom is evident of that love....I created a ditto "One in a Minion ME!" that the students fill out.....then, I go around the room and ask each student to share something about themselves that most people would probably not know about them. Of course, if they are on the shy side, I don't force them to reply [that in itself, is telling]....I appreciate when parents keep an open line of communication. However, I resent when they begin to believe that I am at their beck-and-call. I had a parent 2 years ago that did just that - and questioned EVERYTHING I did. I received 8 emails by the 4th week of school and had to bring this to the attention of the guidance counselor to 'nip it in the bud'.....

You'd have enjoyed my son! One of his middle school teachers assigned a "what I did over my summer vacation" paper (really just a few paragraphs) the first week of school. My son refused to do the assignment on the grounds that it was a "violation of his privacy". We told him he didn't have to write anything personal. We even told him he could lie! Finally I got in touch with his teacher and she told him that she'd keep whatever he wrote in the strictest of confidences and once it was graded, she'd give it back to him to destroy. That finally satisfied him and he wrote the darn thing (which ended up being, "We drove up north to visit my grandmother," so I have no idea what all the fuss was about). :laughing:

How early is your back to school night? Mine is early, but my children's was usually not until October. If it was that late, I wouldn't want to wait until BTSN to know if a child was going through an unusual, difficult time at home.

One thing some of my colleagues do is send the form before school starts, or, since we've "gone Google," they will send a Google form for parents to fill out online (a paper copy gets sent, too, for anyone that prefers that).
Our Back to School Night is always the 2nd or 3rd week of school.

If there's something important to know, yes. I teach high school and am open to {helpful} parent emails always.

You'd have enjoyed my son! One of his middle school teachers assigned a "what I did over my summer vacation" paper (really just a few paragraphs) the first week of school. My son refused to do the assignment on the grounds that it was a "violation of his privacy". We told him he didn't have to write anything personal. We even told him he could lie! Finally I got in touch with his teacher and she told him that she'd keep whatever he wrote in the strictest of confidences and once it was graded, she'd give it back to him to destroy. That finally satisfied him and he wrote the darn thing (which ended up being, "We drove up north to visit my grandmother," so I have no idea what all the fuss was about). :laughing:
He has the blood of his mother coursing through his veins lol.

Last edited:
I teach high school. This year I'll have 5 math classes, a study hall, and a homeroom. None has fewer than 31 kids, with several numbering 39.

So it's going to take me a little (?) time to get all the names down. Please let me know if there's anything on the radar that I need to know. Right now, we're strangers. Please don't assume that anything is obvious. These first weeks are a whirlwind! One year I taught twins and was 2 weeks in before I realized they were related. (In my defense: fraternal twins with a pretty common last name.)

My one request is that you email me, as opposed to calling. If it's emailed, then I can go back and refer to it-- and also make sure I'm looking at the right name. Also, please make sure I know who your child is, particularly if your last name doesn't match his/hers. You would be amazed how many parents start with "Hi, I'm Johnny's mom" when I have 12 Johnnys and none share mom's last name.

If your son or daughter has an overriding issue-- anxiety, or diabetes, or needs preferential seating (with or without an IEP or 504 plan) then please let me know right away. If there are issues at home-- pending divorce, someone is sick, likewise.

Some of your kids may struggle in my class. Please don't ask that I email you every week with an update. I get graded tests back within 2 days, without fail. My test dates are posted on my website. I'll be more than happy to reply to any email you send. But I simply cannot email each parent-- sometimes 2 different emails if the parents aren't together-- for each of the 180+ kids I teach. So if you're worried about the grades and haven't seen them, shoot me an email. I promise to reply the first chance I get... but realize that I may be in class (or making dinner, or helping my daughter with her homework or picking her up) at the precise moment you email. I'll get back to you within 24 hours, I promise.

If, heaven forbid, something catastrophic happens, feel free to call and speak to his guidance counselor. You can even email the guidance counselor and ask that it be forwarded to each of your child's teachers. It will save you the trouble of remembering who we are, and will keep us in the loop. That worked well for me last year when my husband was scary-sick. (Insurance papers and black clothes out kind of sick.) The guidance counselors were wonderful about forwarding, with my permission, the updates.

For what it's worth, though, I don't do those "getting to know you" exercises. Day 1, I teach and give homework. One, it sets the tone that we'll be working. But, two-- and equally important--I simply can't remember who is who on Day 1. So those emails help!

Last edited:
You'd have enjoyed my son! One of his middle school teachers assigned a "what I did over my summer vacation" paper (really just a few paragraphs) the first week of school. My son refused to do the assignment on the grounds that it was a "violation of his privacy".....
....."violation of his privacy" - I LOVE it! :rotfl:

A very good friend of my ds13 passed away less than a week ago. School starts here in a few weeks and I will email the teacher and possibly the office to let them know. We were also in the airport for the Fort Lauderdale shooting in January. Ds is already seeing someone for anxiety and doing well, but I know my boy and losing his friend is going to impact him greatly for a long time to come. I don't need the teacher to do anything specific but if school and home are on the same page we are better able to assist ds when needed. If he needs to excuse himself to go do some deep breathing for example, it helps if the teacher knows why he's asking to leave for a minute or two.

I think there is a huge difference between being "that parent" and making sure that all of the adults in a child's life have all the information needed to be on the same page.
....OMG, my heart breaks for your DS....:hug: I sure hope he has a wonderful new school year. Yes, you are correct to inform all parties concerned.

I teach high school. This year I'll have 5 math classes, a study hall, and a homeroom. None has fewer than 31 kids, with several numbering 39.

So it's going to take me a little (?) time to get all the names down.......One year I taught twins and was 2 weeks in before I realized they were related. (In my defense: fraternal twins with a pretty common last name.)....
....two years ago I had 5 sets of twins and 4 of those sets were fraternal....yes, same situation - common last name. The kids were oh-so-eager to let me know that they WERE twins.....:rotfl:

Some of your kids may struggle in my class. Please don't ask that I email you every week with an update. I get graded tests back within 2 days, without fail. My test dates are posted on my website. I'll be more than happy to reply to any email you send. But I simply cannot email each parent-- sometimes 2 different emails if the parents aren't together-- for each of the 180+ kids I teach. So if you're worried about the grades and haven't seen them, shoot me an email. I promise to reply the first chance I get... but realize that I may be in class (or making dinner, or helping my daughter with her homework or picking her up) at the precise moment you email. I'll get back to you within 24 hours, I promise.

....we use Genesis online; there is a parent portal, which they can view current grades at any time. We too have a district policy that all test papers must be graded within 48 hours and HW assignments must be entered within 24 hours.

Aliceacc said:
......That worked well for me last year when my husband was scary-sick. (Insurance papers and black clothes out kind of sick.) The guidance counselors were wonderful about forwarding, with my permission, the updates.
.....I hope that he is doing a lot better...:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter