Tell me about Coral Assignment

cel_disney

DIS Veteran
I see we can pick up bib numbers for our Darkside 5k / 10k, but I'm wondering if there is a way to find out coral placement from them now or if that will not be until packet pick up. Anyone know?

Thanks! It's been a long time since we participated in more than the kids race and trying to figure out when we can coordinate the logistics of the start / end of the 5k. If the answer is to find out at pickup - no big deal but just curious!

Corral placement for the 5K and 10K is usually a guess based on numbers from the previous year I believe.

How do they check folks entering corrals? Is it as simple as checking their bib number?

Your bib will have a large letter printed on it indicating your corral. All this correlating bib numbers to corral charts is just pre-event fun (and speculation, in some cases). There will be volunteers at the entrance to the corrals looking to ensure folks enter the proper corral.

And at the lightside race they were checking EVERYONE going into the corals. Must have walked thru about 15 or so people who all checked my bib.

From my recent experience with 5k at marathon weekend: I knew my bib# a little bit before the race weekend because it was on my waiver that I had to print to bring to the expo. The fine folks in the thread for my race posted last years corral #'s by bib range. Since you will not know your 5k/10k corral assignment before you get your actual bib at the expo, you can try to guess based off where you would have been for the previous year in the number range. I guessed B for myself and was right. My father-in-law was on the very edge of B for the previous year's #'s and ended up in C. So it was fairly accurate.
Challenge runners I believe tend to know where they are going to be, but not individual 5k or 10k (which by the way I really wish they'd just tell us at waiver time.)

You may have no idea where you're going to end up. I ran the Rebel Challenge in January with my mom and my dad ran the 10k with us. Mom and I were in corral B for the half but I was in C for the 10k and Mom was in D. Dad, on the other hand, didn't submit any sort of time in the 10k registration and ended up in corral B. We all went back to corral D so that we could start together, but we are entirely unsure how that all was decided.

You can always start with friends, but it would need to be in the lowest corral of the group - like Mom and I couldn't join Dad in B, Dad could have come back to C with me but Mom would still have to be in D, but we were all able to walk past the bib-checkers into corral D.

You can find your race specific one on the runDisney site for your event, then go to Runner Info - Corral & Bib and they will have a link posted there for your race.

Edit: silly me, you said what race you needed. Here you go!
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...marathon/2016_SW-DS_CorralAssignments_DSC.pdf

If you have a different number you may need to just wait and see on the bib after all - the 5Ks at DLR in 2011 didn't have specific corrals it was just based on when we got there. I have never done a 5K at WDW... :/

Last edited:
You can find your race specific one on the runDisney site for your event, then go to Runner Info - Corral & Bib and they will have a link posted there for your race.

Edit: silly me, you said what race you needed. Here you go!
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...marathon/2016_SW-DS_CorralAssignments_DSC.pdf

If you have a different number you may need to just wait and see on the bib after all - the 5Ks at DLR in 2011 didn't have specific corrals it was just based on when we got there. I have never done a 5K at WDW... :/

AquaDame where do you find this information? (JUST KIDDING I FOUND IT) THANKS!

Does the bib # have any correlation to the corral?

Yes, the corrals are grouped by bib numbers.
Here is an example from the WDW 10k (first non-half I could find): https://whyirundisney.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/wdw-10k-corrals.jpg

So your bib number will correspond with what corral you will be in.
The letter of the corral will also be printed on your bib.

BUT if you want to play the guessing game ahead of time, you can find you waiver here: http://trackshackresults.com/disneysports/waivers/sw16ds_waiv/verify.php
and guess where you might be in the grand scheme of your race's corral!

Does the bib # have any correlation to the corral?

Based on last year WDW marathon weekend, the lower your bib number, the further up you are in the corral. Not sure if that is how its done for all the races...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter