Tell me about Grand Californian 2-bedroom villas

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
We're staying 5 nights in a 2-bedroom at the end of May. Any specific requests I should make? We'll have 6 people total...myself, hubs and out 8 year old son, my in-laws and sister-in-law. We're not planning on cooking much, but planning to grab groceries as we get to town so I don't think we're going to do grocery delivery. We're just looking to grab snacks and breakfast stuff (hey, I'm on vacation too...so not a lot of cooking!) Looks like there's a Target or Wal-Mart not too far from the resort. This is not only our first DVC stay at Grand Californian, but our first DVC stay, ever!

Share with me your experiences at GCV! We've already been told to go around to the main gate at rope drop since the CG entrance gets pretty backed up. We'll utilize that gate the rest of the times of the day.

There’s a great thread on this board all about VGC-I used it to guide my room requests.

We've stayed at the 2 bedroom twice. Once with 8 and once with 9 people. We love it there and we actually do cook a lot of meals. We have breakfast in the villa and I cook a crock pot meal for us to eat when we come back from the park in the afternoon. The kitchen is fairly well stocked but I still get paper bowls and plates because we just have too many people for the amount of dishes they provide sometimes. We buy 1 roll of paper towels (the hotel provides 1) and Clorox wipes too. Tide pods and dishwasher pods are awesome for traveling. We always buy water gallons and fill water bottles in the morning and when we return for lunch. Then we make sandwiches to take out to the park. I've shopped at the Target and Walmart nearby but last time we did a grocery delivery (costco and instacart) and it was so nice to not have to be at the store forever. But we did more than just snacks. I love how quiet the DVC wing is and the elevators are never all that busy. We tend to ride Grizzly River Run right before lunch so everyone can change before we come back out (or throw clothes in the dryer). Since there is laundry in the room we try to pack light and just do a couple loads of laundry during the week.

Thank you @disland7! We have 6 people total, but only 1 child...the rest are adults...staying 5 nights. My husband said we should be able to use Amazon Prime Now or an independent grocery delivery service (instacart or shipt) so that will save on time spent at the store. We're not getting full meals, but we still want to get breakfast stuff, sandwich fixings, snacks, water, soft drinks, etc. Does anyone know if I can include wine/beer in the grocery order? We'll be in San Diego the weekend prior to arriving so we'll just get a grocery shipment ordered over dinner one evening. I'll make a note on the dishwasher pods...I've got laundry pods on the list of things to pack already. I'm so looking forward to grizzly river run and splash mountain now knowing we'll have dry clothes and shoes!

We used Amazon Prime (not Now) and it just goes to bell services and you go down and pick that up. They left the groceries there at bell services for us while we were put at the park also (although they didn't put some things in the fridge that should have been). We don't drink but my understanding is that you have to might the delivery at bell services in order to receive alcohol. Another thing we get is ziplock baggies.

I've used Prime Now for delivery to the VGC before and was quite happy. I didn't order any alcohol, but Prime Now does deliver alcohol. You can order laundry pods and dishwasher pods from them as well. If you're a Prime member and want to check out what they offer in advance, you can go to their website at primenow.amazon.com.

I think if you’re driving up from San Diego anyway, it’s probably easiest to just stop and shop for yourself. Otherwise someone will have to wait around for the alcohol delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!