Tell me about Jamaica!

CRB#33

<font color=red>Completing His Good Work!<br><font
We're heading to Montego Bay in July without the kids---just wondering what it's like and any hints or tips you all might be able to offer:D

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon 10 years ago and had a fabulous time. Don't miss a trip to Dunn's River Falls. It's really neat, although pretty crowded most of the time.

Be aware that you WILL be asked to buy marijuana in Jamaica. That was the biggest turn off for us. Every time we left our resort, we would get locals literally chasing after the tourist bus trying to sell you drugs through the windows.

We stayed in Negril, and there is some nice diving and snorkeling in that area, along with some beautiful beaches. We stayed almost entirely on the beach that belonged to our resort, though.

Hope that helps some!

Wendy is right. DH said he thinks used car salesmen must all come from Jamaica. Those drug guys are sure persistant! :teeth:

It is beautiful. Have a good time.

BTW, they might have people dressed in outlandish costumes. Be aware that if you take photos of them they will expect you to pay.

Love it! Just got back.

Are you staying in Mo Bay, or elsewhere?

It's a poor country... very poor, so be prepaired. The people though are most welcoming and warm. Be friendly to them and they will be friendly back.

I think maybe it's Big Dude who has a great link to a web site for info. And he's also a wealth of information on Jamaica. Also, do a search here as there have been some threads on this in the recent past.

I love Jamaica. Its such a beautiful place.

I can second the notion that you will be offered lots and lots of marijuana while you are there - or "ganga" as the natives call it. Also, be prepared to take it down a notch or two - Jamaicans as a whole move very slowly - hard for this Type A personality to get used to at first! Everything is very laid back and easy going in Jamaica, which lends to a certain charm you won't find in many places.

Have fun!

If I were staying at an all inclusive, Jamaica would be okay. We went to Boscobell Beach one year and it was fun for four days or so. I have been to Ocho Rios via cruise ship twice. The first time we visited Dunn's River Falls. Get there early, before the cruise ship passengers and it will be fun. Last week we stopped in Ocho Rios and went as far as Island Village. Its an outdoor mall with Margaritaville and beach security. My DS had his hair braided just off of the property (3 ft) and true to form, they tried desperately to sell him marijuana. He turned his pockets in side out so they would leave him alone. Jamaica would not be my first choice for a Caribbean vacation. There are a lot of rivers so the run off into the ocean makes the snorkeling far from ideal. I like Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St. John, St. Kitts, Aruba....

I sure wish I <i>could</i> tell you about Jamaica. I can't though, never been there :( Isn't that just the most pathetic thing you've ever heard?

1. Are you staying at Sandals resort? Or where? If you are on the resort, they will bring everything to you including shopping, but prices will be high, so if you want to do "local shopping" and get some good Jamaican BBQ (jerk pork) get a cab and go into town.

2. When shopping, bargain bargain bargain. The exchange rate about two weeks ago was $52 Jamaican to $1 American, so you can make out like a bandit. If they have it marked at $30, offer them $15 and work your way from there. Don't be embarrassed about it, they expect you to bargain. When offered a price, make sure to ask if they are offering it to you in American dollars or Jamaican dollars. Go from there.

3. If you want the best coffee in the world, buy Blue Mountain coffee. Don't pay more than $14/lb. for it, and make sure the label says JABLUM brand, or it's not true Blue Mountain coffee.

4. Duty free - you can bring back two liters of liquor total before you have to pay tax. Don't buy "overproof" rum, you won't be allowed to bring it back, the proof is too high for America.

5. Drink Red Stripe beer.

6. Jamaicans are a fairly poor country, so they will try and sell you EVERYTHING and they are fairly persistent. If you choose to buy local handmade items, especially those that are handcarved, make sure the wood is not green. If it is, the item will dry out about a month after you get it home and it will crack.

7. If you choose to go off of any resort to do shopping, etc., be careful. Crime can be high in certain areas. Don't wear good jewelry, etc. If you have a guide with you, stay where they tell you to stay, shop where they tell you to stop.

8. Yes, Ganga (ganja?) is the Jamaican National Flower :lol: and they will try and sell it to you everywhere. Don't buy it, it could land you in jail if the guy is undercover cop.

9. Relax and have a great time. The beaches are beautiful, the people are wonderful, the food is great and the alcohol is plenty. Dunns River is a must see, try horseback riding on the beach, river rafting the Martha Brae, snorkeling, a booze cruise. I wouldn't recommend anything like parasailing because it's risky and you have no idea how trained the person taking you on that might be.

10. If you are staying at Sandals, try playing "stump the bartender" at the bar on the beach. I swear, the man knows every song in the world LOL.

I have been there twice. Stayed at Sandals Inn twice (the best, IMHO, of them all. Very small and just wonderful) also stayed at Dunn's River, nice but not as intimate as the Inn.
Jamaica is a third world country, no doubt about that. The people are wonderful and it is a beautiful place. It is about the size of CT and has mountains, seashore and everything in between.
Try the coffee, it is wonderful and the Appleton's rum (the BEST in the world).
I highly recommend Sandals resorts. Go to their website www.sandals.com and read about them. The food is great!!!
As mentioned before, it is very laid back and I found myself just "chilling" and enjoying. A truly wonderful vacation and one big perq to me, no kids allowed at Sandals. Couples only, adults only. It was GREAT!!!

We vacationed many years ago, probably '73 or there about. :eek: We stayed at Runaway Bay. I am confident much has changed since then, but after reading the above replies, three stick out......drugs and poverty and natural beauty. It is so very pretty there, and do try Dunn's River Falls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter