Tell me about New Years Eve?

marymouse

Mouseketeer
I just booked a birthday trip for my daughter and her boyfriend for New Years week. We've been to Universal many times most recently right before this past Thanksgiving. The Thanksgiving crowds were more than we were used to but manageable. Do I need to be preparing for a complete zoo over the new year?

I'm assuming they have special fireworks?

I hope I don't live to regret this!

There is a special party on NYE and I think it's 21+. I'm pretty sure there are fireworks. We were there the week of NYE but went to Epcot on NYE. The days leading up to it were very crowded, but we got a decent amount of things done. After NYE it was a lot less crowded. I do think it's difficult to compare because weather in Florida last NYE was awful. It was in the 40's-50's (some days in the 60's) and rainy. I don't know how many people were deterred by the weather, or if most people were like us and had been planning the trip for a year and went anyway.

My advice is just to temper your expectations about what you'll be able to get done during the day and be prepared to wait in some long lines. You'll have a great trip as long as you prioritize. Also, remember that no matter what it's going to be a very special trip! With all of the holiday decorations and festivities, it is unlike any other time of year. Don't let crowds get in the way of it!

Citywalk puts on a pretty cool event called "Eve" that includes live music, all you can eat food, cash bar and pyrotechnics at midnight. This past year included the following venues in the price of admission : CityWalk Plaza & Promenade areas (Bob Marley's – A Tribute to FreedomSM, Pat O'Brien's® Orlando, the groove™, Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food™, CityWalk's Rising Star™, Red Coconut Club™, Plaza Stage and Main Plaza common area).

This past year IOA closed at 10, but Universal was open until 12:30 am had celebrations for New Years. Live music and dancing in the Music Plaza Courtyard, with fireworks and confetti at midnight.

I would choose Universal holiday events versus Disney as Disney does basically nothing for what I like to call party holidays like New Years, St Patricks Day, etc in the parks. Most I've ever seen is green beer in UK in Epcot. Crowds will definitely heavier at UO, but doubt it will be anything like Disney. Have a great time!

Citywalk puts on a pretty cool event called "Eve" that includes live music, all you can eat food, cash bar and pyrotechnics at midnight. This past year included the following venues in the price of admission : CityWalk Plaza & Promenade areas (Bob Marley's – A Tribute to FreedomSM, Pat O'Brien's® Orlando, the groove™, Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food™, CityWalk's Rising Star™, Red Coconut Club™, Plaza Stage and Main Plaza common area).

This past year IOA closed at 10, but Universal was open until 12:30 am had celebrations for New Years. Live music and dancing in the Music Plaza Courtyard, with fireworks and confetti at midnight.

I would choose Universal holiday events versus Disney as Disney does basically nothing for what I like to call party holidays like New Years, St Patricks Day, etc in the parks. Most I've ever seen is green beer in UK in Epcot. Crowds will definitely heavier at UO, but doubt it will be anything like Disney. Have a great time!
Unrelated to the topic, but Epcot has several dance parties with DJs for NYE (as did MK but that was geared towards kids). They were actually really cool with lasers and fire effects and there were some really awesome fireworks. But yeah, they don't really do anything for St. Patty's or some other "drinking" holidays. The EVE party sounds really cool though and if we were to go again, with everyone in our group of age, we'd probably do that. I saw a video of the fireworks going over Hogwarts from last year and it was pretty spectacular.

Thanks for the answers! This definitely gives me something to go on. We are taking them for their 21st birthday so finally they can go everywhere with us. The EVE party sounds fun so we will definitely have to talk about getting tickets for that in advance if they want to do it. She's going to Disney the beginning of December so I talked her out of those crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts