Tell me about the GF!

Linda/MA

DIS Veteran
My husband and I and our two teenage daughters are going to the GF next week for three nights for a business conference my DH is attending and which is being paid for by his company. Poor thing -- he has meetings to attend but the girls and I don't! I've been to other hotels on the property but never the GF -- never thought I would get there. Tell me what not to miss about this beautiful hotel.

Thanks for any suggestions!

One great thing to do is to go down to the dock & watch the EWP. You can also sit at a table outside of Gasparilla's & watch the MK fireworks :). The resort is absolutely beautiful...you're going to love it.

How wonderful, your daughter's are going to love it. Though my kids are younger they loved the pool area with the waterfall. We were there every afternoon. Plus the Grand Floridian Cafe is a great place for lunch and breakfast. I found it to be a very relaxing resort even with little ones. Don't miss the Electrical parade either. You can watch it from the beach. Enjoy, you are going to love it.

I could live at the GF :D . We've stayed at a few Disney resorts and while the CR was lots of fun and the BWV convenient and spacious, GF was by far the most relaxing stay we had. It is a stunning resort with beautiful grounds and landscaping. Take some time early in the AM to sit on the balcony and just enjoy the surroundings. We found the service to be outstanding--loved the gentleman out front who greeted guests as they entered the lobby. Don't forget the boat ride to MK, several times we had the boat to ourselves. I love the way the reosrt is set up--with several smaller buildings instead of one large one--it really adds to the ambience, and I found the architecture so appealing. Have a great time.

:wave: Nice to see you here again, Linda!
I dont have any advice for you but I just wanted to say Woohoo!!!! That is so exciting. Have a great time! :D

First off .... Congratulations! You guys are going to love this place. There are so many different neat things to do. Here is our list of to do's:

*Sit in the lobby around 9 in the evening and just listen to the band playing on the second floor.
**Go to the second floor, there is a sitting area that overlooks some of the grounds, pool and even the lake. Very relaxing and some good pictures. Every now and then there is a reception or event so if there is you won't be allowed to go there.
***Eat at Narcoosee's around firework's time, if your not in the park, ask for a table against the windows and enjoy dinner while watching the fireworks.
****Just take a quiet stroll along the grounds, beach and pool areas.
*****This has already been said but The Grand Floridian Cafe is fantastic as well as the Park Fare 1900 Dinner of "Cinderella's Gala Feast". Boy, is it a feast. My husband LOVES this place. Even he wants to go again.
******Just take tons of pictures, take ones of the rooms (most people don't believe me about how nice the rooms are until they see my pictures), pictures of the grounds and anything else that gets in the way.

Have a GREAT Trip. Can I go in your suitcase?;) I can't hold out til next year. I'm bugging out here. I am helping a friend go in July and her kids picked the Contemporary. It's fun helping to plan someone else's but more fun to just go.

Wendi

...order a fabulous room service breakfast! They have incredible Eggs Benedict, delivered with white glove service, served with linen napkins and a nice big pot of hot coffee on a beautiful tray. You will feel SO pampered!

Some musts:

<i> Keep your eyes open for mice! </i> Mickey and Minnie are frequent visitors, because there are so many weddings. You never know when you might bump into those two, stopping by to say hello to the bride and groom! You might want to wander over to the Wedding Chapel and take a peek. It's lovely.

<i> Do 1900 Park Fare at least once! </i> Breakfast is delightful (with Mary Poppins!) and dinner is fantastic. The best character meals on property, imho -- terrific food, terrific characters, terrific atmosphere.

<i> Flop into those couches in the lobby and just drink it all in! </i> You could fall asleep in those things, they're soooo comfy. At night, the band is playing upstairs, and it's very festive and fun.

<i> Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home, Mrs. Robinson </i> The place is gorgeous, and you will really feel like you have been transported to another time and place. I told my wife I could take a week at the GF and not even go near the parks. True! It's just that nice.

<i> The GF Cafe is great for a big fat expensive breakfast! </i> They'll bring you omlettes the size of hubcaps and home fries the size of bricks, and they will cost a small fortune (up around $15-$20 pp plus tip) but it's a real treat.

<i> Great tip: take the monorail to the MK, but take the boat back! </i> It's much faster that way. And more fun.

Enjoy yourself! You're in for a treat!

On Friday mornings at 8:00 am all of the housekeeping staff march through the courtyard with parasols in hand in a parade of sorts. Ive seen it posted here that this happens on every morning but it has been my experience that they only do it on Friday mornings. - Just one of those Disney sort of things that when added together with the rest make up the "magic".

I agree with all the posters here, but especially with YankeeFan - I could LIVE at the GF, it's that beautiful! We're going back in November, and I can't wait! Last time we changed our minds and decided against 1900 Park Fare - it sounds like that was a big mistake! :D

Wendi....I see on your post you have stayed at the Grand in Boca Chica several times, lagoon view. This is what we have tentatively picked for our trip next spring (making our ressies as soon as they release the AAA discounts). Did you request Boca Chica each time ? Any tips on room requests? We do not really care so much about seeing the Castle, no kids going, myself and my best friend. Thanks for any info you have...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter