Temperature/Humidity: Orlando vs. Bahamas in early August?

CTPoly425

Earning My Ears
We are sailing on the Aug 4 Disney Dream cruise and were thinking of spending a few days in the parks before hand. I posted a question on the Theme Parks board about what temperatures and humidity would be like in those pre-cruise days, but some of those answers got me thinking that I should be asking the same questions about our day in Nassau and our day on Castaway cay.

We have only ever been to Orlando, Nassau, and Castaway in the winter and are not sure to expect.

Are Nassau and Castaway going to be just as hot and muggy as Orlando will be in early August? In Orlando you can at least focus your day on early morning and evening, but the cruise ship schedules obviously restrict that option a bit for Nassau and Castaway. Then again, at least on Castaway we will mostly be on the beach and in the water.

We are from the NYC/New England area so we have definitely experienced muggy summer days, just not sure how those days compare to a Nassau/Castaway summer day. In NYC and New England you can at least start to expect some relief in early evening.

Truly appreciate the feedback of this wonderful forum ...

yes they will be relatively similar - but you may have the breezes at CC and Nassau which cool things off more than in Orlando in the same type of weather. If you were to run the CC 5K, you will find it super hot and humid as the course is not really open to the breeze, but being on the beach may be a little different (it depends on if you have breezes or not). If you are exploring in Nassau, same thing as there is less breeze in town than at the port or on the beach. I find that being on the pool deck in port is super hot and humid, with little or no breeze at all, especially on the Dream class with the glass partitions up on deck. However, weather is variable, and you might get something totally different, like early morning showers which change things, or a high pressure system with little cloud cover or moisture in the air. Either way, have a great cruise!

Humidity in all of those areas - check

Heat in all of those areas - check

4pm Afternoon Thunder storms with a quick, intense dumping of rain - Check! BUT ... in The Bahamas it can happen morning, noon or late afternoon / early evening

Change of clothes for Dinner - Yep, it's needed this time of the year. But my trick for not overpacking is to plan on wearing my "dinner clothes" (polo) the next day. Still only wearing it one day but that "day" starts at 6pm.

Thanks for this feedback! Just wondering, how is the A/C in the staterooms? I know in the resorts there have been some posts on and off that it doesn't always keep up with the summer heat. Is that the case on the ships as well?

The AC works fine, but there can be problems in blocks of rooms with Verandas if someone leaves the Verando door open - it can shut of the AC for an entire block of rooms. We have always had Oceanview and never had a problem with AC across 3 ships. The Dream Class ships have a different type of thermostat dial that you turn and the lights indicate cool to cold by turning blue, and warm to hot with red. Workded great.

From the New England area as well and have been twice to WDW in mid-July. First time-cooler there than here at home. Last July-pretty darn hot. Humidity one notch above what we are used to. "A two outfits a day kind of weather." Our first summer cruise is in just about a week-so can't comment yet, but I am expecting and packing for similar to Orlando style heat/humidity with the bonus of hopefully a cooling seabreeze at times!

I grew up I Michigan and live in NH now so I am used to colder weather. My mother and sister live in Florida so we have been there regularly in the summer. We will never do the parks again in August. The heat and humidity are oppressive. The rides are air conditioned but you are outside and in little ne far too much. Also the parks are mobbed that time of year. Way too much time in line for way too few rides even though we are there when the park opens.

We did a 4 day on the Dream last summer. Although it was hot, the sea breezes made it much more comfortable. The AC at night was good and we were able to sleep without difficulty. We didn't get off the boat in Nassau - been there done that. The 5K in CC was hot, but no worse than it was in April.

We are sailing on the Aug 4 Disney Dream cruise and were thinking of spending a few days in the parks before hand. I posted a question on the Theme Parks board about what temperatures and humidity would be like in those pre-cruise days, but some of those answers got me thinking that I should be asking the same questions about our day in Nassau and our day on Castaway cay.

We have only ever been to Orlando, Nassau, and Castaway in the winter and are not sure to expect.

Are Nassau and Castaway going to be just as hot and muggy as Orlando will be in early August? In Orlando you can at least focus your day on early morning and evening, but the cruise ship schedules obviously restrict that option a bit for Nassau and Castaway. Then again, at least on Castaway we will mostly be on the beach and in the water.

We are from the NYC/New England area so we have definitely experienced muggy summer days, just not sure how those days compare to a Nassau/Castaway summer day. In NYC and New England you can at least start to expect some relief in early evening.

Truly appreciate the feedback of this wonderful forum ...

Yes. Orlando and Bahamas are extremely similar to each other in the areas of heat and humidity. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being extremely hot and humid, I would put it at a 12 minimum. :)

You may want to consider bringing cooling towels from your WDW part of the trip to use when you are traveling from the ship to the transportation to the beach and back. You also might consider those nice misting fans as well. Once you are in the water, (which is as warm as bathwater) you will have some relief. The sand will be hot and you really want to wear either water shoes or sandals at the beach and water shoes on the pool deck which I compare to the temperature of Hades. Additionally, when you are done at the beach, be sure to rinse off in the outdoor showers to get the salt off and before travelling back to the ship.
Do NOT forget to reapply sunscreen every 30 to 45 minutes whether in Florida or Bahamas or poolside on the ship. The sun is extra powerful and you won't even realize that you are burning until you can actually SEE the red on your shoulders, face etc. Bring cooling gel and or Aloe Vera for relief

I always pack 3 more complete outfits for everyone for the length of the cruise.So, a 4 night cruise means 7 complete outfits , plus 8 to 10 or so undergarments. Two to three bathing suits might be a good idea as well. Nothing worse than putting on a wet or damp bathing suit. (Okay, except maybe a one piece wet/damp bathing suit.)

The good news is that the ship is very well air conditioned and easy to access cool areas if you need relief from the heat. :)
There will be rain. Not long periods of rain, but it will leave the air feeling humid and steamy as opposed to refreshing...especially when in port.
If you see rain clouds but there is no lightning, just stay in the water and enjoy the beauty. I love swimming in the rain...something just awesome about it.

As someone who grew up in South Fla near the beach (which is very close to the Bahamas) there is a big difference. Near the beach and on an island you generally have a sea breeze to help cool you off. Orlando is too far from the beach to get breeze and the air is much stiller. Being hurricane season, the Bahamas are usually much breezier.

I grew up in west Palm Beach Florida,which is so close to the Bahamas,and agree with NCConch that is a lot more tolerable on the beach especially with the sea breeze.expect a storm once a day though.

How hot is it being on deck while the ship is sitting in port? Like on the Nassau day when more people may stay on the ship?

How hot is it being on deck while the ship is sitting in port? Like on the Nassau day when more people may stay on the ship?

It can be hot, hot, hot outside on deck....especially when the ship is not moving as in port. But, I would do a summer cruise in a heartbeat compared to WDW in summer. WDW is just too hot and humid for me in the summer. At least onboard there is more chances for breezes.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!