Tent recommendation? (Not for WDW, but you guys are the only camping experts I know!)

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
DH and I are involved in K9 search and rescue as volunteers with two of our German Shepherds. At certain trainings throughout the summer (and should we have the need when called out for a search) it would be a good thing to have a tent, just in case we need to overnight.

I see all of the "dome" tents advertised, and they certainly look less cumbersome than the old style tents, but know NOTHING about tents.

Here is what I think we would need...

Large enough to sleep two adults and up to 3 85-pound German Shepherds
Collapses pretty small for storage in the SUV with all of the other search and rescue stuff
Easy to put up (as in - I would pay more for the tent if I knew it wouldn't be difficult to put up - since we probably won't use it that often)
Good in rain as well as good weather

What should I look for? Are there things I haven't even considered? Brands that are better? Etc.

THANK YOU!!!

We used a 10x10 Coleman last year. 2 queen blow up mattresses filled the floor. which might be about right. We stayed dry in a terrible and long storm. we only paid around $90 for it, and I could put it up by myself in 15 minutes with no prior camping experience at all. it folds/rolls into maybe a 4' cylindar with a little less than a foot diameter

We use a 12x14 dome tent. Dome tents are much easier to put up and take down than the "old" kind!

We use a queen-size cot with an air mattress on it. This leaves room under the cot for bags, clothes, etc. Like home away from home! :)

If all you are looking for is emergecy shelter for you and your dogs, all that you'll need is an 8x8 square, two pole tent that will cost anywhere from $50 on up depending on if you buy a Wal-mart special, or a Coleman, or one from LL Bean.

I agree a basic 8 X 8 square should be fine. Stay away from air matresses with the dogs. Go with a ThermARest self inflating matress

Stop by my web site below to see my German Shepherd Dog, and she is the reason I got a pop up. After 3 air matresses I figured it would be cheaper in the long run.

I really think that a dome tent with shock-corded poles is the way to go. Coleman makes them in several sizes. BJs here often has very good prices on them. They are very quick to put up, and in bad weather that can be a life-saver. I also like Thermarest mattresses, but as I get older, I sleep much better on the inflatable queen size mattress. I'm not sure long ours with hold up, but our 82 pound golden retriever hasn't hurt it yet!

Hi,

This has nothing to do with the original question but I just had to tell Debbie in So. Woodstock that we are in Putnam. Small World...huh?

For ease of set up, make sure you get one where the tent hooks to the poles vs one where you have to slide the poles through sleeves.

Also, Eureka makes an A-frame tent that is really well made and easy to set up.

They come in 3 sizes, ranging from around $100 to $250.

I guess I have to jump in here. We have a few tents. But my two favorites are a Cabela's Alaskan Guide series and the Eureka Apex XT.

The Cabelas tent is huge. We have their eight person model. You can get the smaller models to save space and weight. It has what I think is one of the most important features of a tent, a full cover rain fly. All the way to the ground. We had it set up one summer in a campground that was all clay. Had a horrible downpour while we were out hiking the waterfalls in the area. We came back to a tent "floating" in about ankle deep water. We unzipped a window, the door was too low to the waterline, and pulled everything out. Picked the tent up and moved it to higher ground. Not a drop of water in it. I was hooked!

The other one I use most of the time is an Apex 3XT. Also has a full cover rain fly with vestibules on both sides. Also always stays dry. It is a very simple two pole design. Doors on both sides too. I think they have quit making the 4XT which was a 4 person model. The Moutain Pass is about the same tent. They now have EXO tents that are single wall with no rainfly at all. They are much lighter for backpacking, but you shouldn't be THAT worried about weight if you are car camping.

I use a 3XT on Boy Scout campouts in all weather and love it. But it really is a 2 person size tent. So I would recommend the 4XT.

Good luck!

We have a camper but wanted an easy-to-put up tent for storage, extra guests, etc.

We got one at Target ... it is one of the "insta-tents" ... It takes up less room than one of those folding canvas chairs and is EXTREMELY easy to put up.

It is the Target store brand ... can't remember the name.

It all comes down to what you want. I have been leading expeditions and outdoor leadership trips in Canada (Nova Scotia, Ontario, The Rockies in Alberta and the Pacific coast in British Columbia) for years (great summer jobs) so I need a very lightweight, high quality durable tent to use. I have a Kelty Kashmir 2 (3 person tent) that I got for about $300.00 USD. It is the best tent I have ever owned, but it will not do for you, too small for doggies.

You need it for search and rescue, that means that you will want a durable lightweight tent. If you buy a Coleman, they're cheap, you get what you pay for. They will be reletively easy to set up, but they are not very durable and they are pretty bulky and big. However, they will have a range of sizes up to what you need.

Eureka is a great tent maker. They are mid range: good design, ok weight and very durable, and they make tents in the size range that you are looking for.

Kelty is excellent, as stated above.

North Face, Mountain Hardware etc. are excellent tents, but they provide their models with features that you will undoubtedly never use. They have aireodynamic profiles (for high winds) and are usually 4 season tents. They are also very lightweight and small.Plus they're often over $500.00 USD for a small version.

There are many Canadian brands that are exceptional, but they would not be available to you. Just in case you can get your hands on them: Walrus, Arc'Teryx, and MEC are all amazing, but only if you are facing severe weather and are hiking long distances.

Good Luck.

There are lots of tent choices. Sounds like you want to just do "car camping" so weight is less important. With two adults and three dogs you need a 5 person tent. I have used all manner of tents from several manufacturers. I really like the Eureka Shadowdance. It is 12x12, you can stand up in it and it takes just a few minutes to set up. I would take two folding cots so you're up above the wet smelly dogs, Cabelas has these. You might also consider a additional tarp for the floor both inside and out. Those dog claws my punch holes in the nylon floor of any tent.
Good Luck
Docwagner

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter