Tents in the Rain?

2x_dis_dad

DIS Veteran
I have a Premium Campsite booked for Sunday and Monday nights this coming week. Right now the weather is 80% chance of thunderstorms for both days. Since its such a short trip and a surprise for the kids we were going to just tent camp it and leave the travel trailer at home. We are coming down again for the week of Thanksgiving and will be staying 8 nights. Bringing the camper down for sure then. Today is the last day I can cancel the reservation without penalty. Would we be crazy to tent it with that forecast? I think we will be fine but my wife feels otherwise. I wish I could bring the camper down now and leave it in the overflow lot or somewhere close by until Thanksgiving.

^^ And with that - I mean, I've camped in the rain before but I will say it is annoying to pack up wet. So I don't know if I would necessarily want to camp for such a short time and pack up wet BUT getting to go to Disney would definitely help the want to part :D

So you have a chance to camp with the family at Disney are you are considering canceling huh?

I can see it both ways.

My question would be....Will the wife have to do all the packing/unpacking and deal with the wet tent when you all get home? That would be my concern is will the two days be worth it if I have a day of clean up after.

Also, what do you plan to do if it does rain? Still do the parks in the rain? Or? Ask yourself that question.

Why not just bring the camper? I would want the camper over the tent if rain. You can park your camper on a tent site and just not hook up everything. They say your not suppose to use the tent loops with a camper but I have never been camping and not seen at least 3-4 travel trailers in the 1500 loop. Way more in the 2000 loop.

Six in one half dozen in another for this post.

So you have a chance to camp with the family at Disney are you are considering canceling huh?

I can see it both ways.

My question would be....Will the wife have to do all the packing/unpacking and deal with the wet tent when you all get home? That would be my concern is will the two days be worth it if I have a day of clean up after.

Also, what do you plan to do if it does rain? Still do the parks in the rain? Or? Ask yourself that question.

Why not just bring the camper? I would want the camper over the tent if rain. You can park your camper on a tent site and just not hook up everything. They say your not suppose to use the tent loops with a camper but I have never been camping and not seen at least 3-4 travel trailers in the 1500 loop. Way more in the 2000 loop.

Six in one half dozen in another for this post.

We have a premium site booked for the camper but for 2 nights to drag the trailer down there it would be a hassle and twice the gas. I think the rain wont be a problem if it is just the daily afternoon short lived thunderstorms.

I am recently back from the Fort ... Oct. 1-8 and I can tell you that it rained nearly everyday in the afternoon. One of those days, it rained most of the day. Since you have a TT perhaps you could tow it down, stay the couple of days and then store it locally for the few weeks your gone. I am certain there are places around Orlando that would allow short term storage of your TT.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I went ahead and cancelled the campsite. I got a great deal on a resort through mousesavers. The weather and the temperatures made our decision to tent camp for us. Hard sleeping in a tent when its going to be almost 90 and super humid after the storms for our few days there.

I have a Premium Campsite booked for Sunday and Monday nights this coming week. Right now the weather is 80% chance of thunderstorms for both days. Since its such a short trip and a surprise for the kids we were going to just tent camp it and leave the travel trailer at home. We are coming down again for the week of Thanksgiving and will be staying 8 nights. Bringing the camper down for sure then. Today is the last day I can cancel the reservation without penalty. Would we be crazy to tent it with that forecast? I think we will be fine but my wife feels otherwise. I wish I could bring the camper down now and leave it in the overflow lot or somewhere close by until Thanksgiving.

I definitely side with your dw!! No way would I intentionally tent it knowing it will be probably be rain and for certain muggy heat. I don't like the muggy feel of tents anytime when there is humidity - cool or hot!

Wet, humid, and 90 would require at least som form of a/c for me. 5 days without power after Irma would keep me from willingly putting myself in that situation anytim soon.

Wet, humid, and 90 would require at least som form of a/c for me. 5 days without power after Irma would keep me from willingly putting myself in that situation anytim soon.

So agree! Not in Irma's aftermath, but plenty others, and there is nothing to describe it with no electricity! Have heard some say it's so nice and cool after hurricanes (vacationers only), but have never seen where they get that - nothing we've experienced!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts