Testa was right...

Make sure you listen to the Dish podcast this week. Len re-tested his theory during college Spring Break and determined that rides were back up to full capacity. He also discussed the wear and tear on the rides when that happens, noting that Pirates, Splash, and Thunder were all down at the same time.

I'm glad to hear that Disney brought the rides back up to full capacity for spring break. At least we know that this is a targeted change and not an across the board one. I am concerned about our trip this April, however. Even though we are going during the week of our son's spring break (last week of April), Disney does not consider this "spring break." According to their ticket tiering, the weekdays are all "value." My concern is that they will immediately go back to (overly) reducing capacity again once our week comes along. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

True but apparently the majority of guests at Disney parks are first timers or very causal visitors, go every 5 years or so, so they can cut costs and have long lines because the first time visitor has nothing to compare it to. They may not go back again because of the long lines, but then there is another first time family that will go to fill their place.

The long-term problem with this thinking is that those unhappy first time visitors go home and tell their friends and family that WDW is not worth visiting. People who are considering that first time trip are going to listen to their friends and family (and even, 2nd hand "my friend went last year and hated it!") when deciding whether to take such an expensive vacation. Certainly, the feel-good Disney advertising helps counter some of that, but ultimately, word-of-mouth, (positive OR negative) is very powerful.

That is also part of the risk in upsetting the Disney fan, repeat visitors. Once you push them to the point they don't think it's worth it, they spread that information to a LOT of people. I am "known" among friends and family as a Disney "expert" and fairly regularly get asked for advice about WDW trips. I just convinced one of my DH's co-workers to stay away from Caribbean Beach for her upcoming trip later this summer.

[/QUOTE="pdarrah, post: 58981537, member: 67787"
That is also part of the risk in upsetting the Disney fan, repeat visitors. Once you push them to the point they don't think it's worth it, they spread that information to a LOT of people. I am "known" among friends and family as a Disney "expert" and fairly regularly get asked for advice about WDW trips. I just convinced one of my DH's co-workers to stay away from Caribbean Beach for her upcoming trip later this summer.[/QUOTE]

Very well vocalized, and same here. I am also very "known" for loving Disney, having gone a lot/frequently ("are you going there AGAIN?") in the past, being a stockholder, having various collections, wearing Disney t-shirts, and have helped MANY people plan their trips/given advice (people always told to "go talk to the Disney lady"). And it's also well known how unhappy and disenchanted I've been becoming in the past 5 years, and the fact that I haven't been in that long. And I know for a fact several people have decided not to go/gone for less time due to seeing this, despite my saying they should go and experience if for themselves. I have personally heard what you said - they figure my actions speak louder than my words, and it's been powerful "advertising", and NOT in a good way. And sad - for them AND for me.

Last edited:

I fail to see the reasoning behind manipulating ride capacity.

Longer waits in line for attractions mean that person is not spending money on a meal or
on souvenirs.

It's simply the antithesis of what FP+ is supposed to be all about.

I've seen this ride capacity manipulation happen at my local Six Flags. It's infuriating to try
to ride the most popular coaster only to find that they're running only one train instead of two.
What should be at most a half hour wait becomes an hour to two hour wait.

One theory is that they will begin to sell fast passes. Create unbearable stand-by lines for a given amount of time, then offer guests the opportunity to purchase FP’s. Please note: this is just a theory and I am not hoping this will happen.

One theory is that they will begin to sell fast passes. Create unbearable stand-by lines for a given amount of time, then offer guests the opportunity to purchase FP’s. Please note: this is just a theory and I am not hoping this will happen.
They are already selling FPs. Club level guests have the opportunity to buy three extra per day for $50.

Indeed. I’m talking about the possibility of no more free fast passes, just selling front of the line access like Six Flags does, since that is the “industry standard”.

Are you saying Disney should conform to what Six Flags does? Can't say that I recommend that.

I doubt they're saying that Disney "should" conform to Six Flags standards, but are concerned that it's the direction WDW is going.:sad1:

Exactly. A lot of Disney does they say well it's industry standard, like charging for parking now. What I can see happening is them doing something like Universal, some of their resorts get the FOTP and then they sell FOTP to whoever wants to pay it.

I would not be surprised if FP's will only be free to Club Level and then they will sell FP's to everyone else. I know right now Club Level is paying for extra FP's, but I think they are just testing it out to ultimately only give higher end rooms free FP"s and then sell a max pass or front of the line pass, whatever they will call it, to everyone else.

I fail to see the reasoning behind manipulating ride capacity.

Longer waits in line for attractions mean that person is not spending money on a meal or
on souvenirs.

It's simply the antithesis of what FP+ is supposed to be all about.

I've seen this ride capacity manipulation happen at my local Six Flags. It's infuriating to try
to ride the most popular coaster only to find that they're running only one train instead of two.
What should be at most a half hour wait becomes an hour to two hour wait.

In the early morning hours, not much is even open in the way of restaurants and food stalls. At Disneyland, most places don't even open until 10:30 or 11. So, there's hardly anywhere to even spend money before almost noon. People tend to not buy souvenirs early in the day either.

Are you saying Disney should conform to what Six Flags does? Can't say that I recommend that.

I am definitely NOT saying that. The inference I made to "industry standards" is referencing Disney's quote on the parking fee and why it was implemented. If you read my original post (3 whole posts up the thread from yours) you will see that I explicitly say "I am not hoping this will happen"

I doubt they're saying that Disney "should" conform to Six Flags standards, but are concerned that it's the direction WDW is going.:sad1:
Exactly. A lot of Disney does they say well it's industry standard, like charging for parking now. What I can see happening is them doing something like Universal, some of their resorts get the FOTP and then they sell FOTP to whoever wants to pay it.
I would not be surprised if FP's will only be free to Club Level and then they will sell FP's to everyone else. I know right now Club Level is paying for extra FP's, but I think they are just testing it out to ultimately only give higher end rooms free FP"s and then sell a max pass or front of the line pass, whatever they will call it, to everyone else.

Thank you @halfpintpeggy and @DisneyLover1217 :thanks:

FP is the only way it's bearable to go now. If they remove that and start charging they should see a significant drop in repeat visitors.

I think we're really seeing the changes through the longer FastPass lines. We regularly waited 15-20 minutes in FP lines, and they didn't move quickly. I doubt that Disney cut back on FPs to account for the lower capacity, so that creates a situation where there's a gap between the FPs they can actually handle in one time. When you add that to rides breaking down (Space Mountain and Frozen Ever After in particular), it just enhances the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter