Texas Panhandle Wildfires Took a Family Member From Me

tori.bh3

Mouseketeer
I am so lost today.

My family is all over the news. My cousin Cody and his girlfriend Sydney were killed in the wildfires in Texas on Monday. I am shocked and heartbroken. I did see Cody while he was still alive. Not that he was recognizable. Burn victims usually aren't.

There are so many formalities when a family member dies. There are a lot of things that need to be done; funeral planning, obituary writing, etc. But I get to add changing travel dates for Disney World to my list.

Originally I was supposed to fly out at 4:15 and arrive in Orlando at 10:19 Friday night. Now, Cody's funeral is at 2. I can't make it.

I can't not go on this trip. For one, it is expensive and I will be out a large sum of money. I was supposed to be at WDW 6 nights at POR and then go on a Disney Cruise on the Wonder from Thursday - Sunday. I didn't get travel insurance because I never thought I'd need it. Not to mention my flights.

American Airlines is useless and heartless. I'm taking a $400 dollar change flights fee, and then having to pay an additional 1K than I had before. So I'm having to take a 1K hit in order to not lose 6K over the course of my trip.

My next step is to call Walt Disney Travel company. Maybe see if they'll take off a night. I have a dining plan too. Maybe they'll do something. I don't know.

In the strangest way possible, I am grieving for just about everything. I did the work on this trip. I worked hard to pay for it myself on a teacher salary. I got absolutely blindsided by our loss of Cody and Syd. I feel like it is wrong to travel but I need to get out of town.

Thank you for reading this far. I just needed to vent.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs all around. I hope the travel company can make an exception for a day or so in your case. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope to hear some good news out of this tragedy. On that note, while it might be hard to do so, take your mind off of things for a little on your trip. The mental break could do you good.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss ... such a tragedy.
Prayers for all.
I hope you're able to get some help regarding the previously planned trip.

I am SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.

Similar situation--family death--caused us to cancel DIS cruise last summer. Fortunately (and for future) our travel insurance provider www.csatravelprotection.com covers family members that are NOT traveling/not on the policy. This saved us $1000s. I found this to be a rare offering & that most travel insurance only cover those traveling.

Your airline may have a bereavement policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter