TGM and EUOE closing so what does that mean for our favorite rides.

On occasion I think back to what some of the lands, rides, and themed events of yesteryear were like and miss them. I then think how neat it would be if thee was a "Yesterland" themed park where rides of the past could be relived, and not just on a website or pictures.

There are certainly rides that need updates and some are getting them. Others are let to die. Figment needs an update. It's a ride with hardly ever a line. It's cute, but not sustainable. However it works and can absorb people when other rides are busy. Isn't it slated for an Inside Out retheme?

Carousel of Progress could use an update as well. DH worries that this ride will close some day, so we ride it every trip. The final scene could use a wardrobe update. It's not the 80s/early 90s. It's great that they have incorporated some of th latest technology, but make it more realistic, The VR game they're playing doesn't cut it. Add an 'Alexa' to their self functioning kitchen.

Country Bear is another one that could use an update. I love it. It's hokey, has AC, and a great location to wait out the rain. But it's never busy. When they removed it at DLR for Winnie the Pooh people were outraged. I'm assuming similarly to what I heard when Mr Toad was replaced by Pooh at WDW. Yes, there's a cameo of Max, Buff, and Melvin but you have to know where to look and sadly they don't move. CB could use an update to the sound track, maybe oil the figures so we don;t hear so much clicking.

I wish it was realistic for them to simply move outdated attractions when they replace them. Maybe built an OutdatedLand off in the corner of the property somewhere.

Country Bear is another one that could use an update. I love it.

Yes! Even just incorporate some of the older audio that's been cut (and the holiday stuff) in a rotating show more like how Star Tours works now. Even if you only have 2-3 different shows that can randomly play, it's way more repeatable.

Basically, if a ride is still popular, it will stick around. Look at Peter Pan's Flight. This is a 1955 original at Disneyland and it STILL commands long lines. They may spruce it up from time to time, or add effects with new technology, but It won't be going away until fewer people care about it. That does not seem to be happening any time soon.

I certainly worry about some of my favorites, like the Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress, though I still think they'd try to update them (which they have done to both with varying degrees of success) but I expect that one day they will be gone - well, the Tiki Room at MK anyway. The one at DL is actually quite popular and people are still very into it and sing along. It's a totally different experience!

I too love the Tiki Room, maybe we can both be hopeful they give it a refurb and make it more like the one in Tokyo where stitch is involved. As long as they keep the song I'm happy.

I too love the Tiki Room, maybe we can both be hopeful they give it a refurb and make it more like the one in Tokyo where stitch is involved. As long as they keep the song I'm happy.

I've seen the one in Tokyo. It's better than the old "Under New Management" version at MK, but I'm a sucker for the classic version.

Disney has so much stuffed in its back stores, why not build another land of classic rides. Old rides, it would be like an overflow area of the park and resurrect rides of the past.

As a person who attends all the time, I don't like to wait longer then 20 minutes, so why get rid of the rides with lower wait times, just because they have low wait times doesn't mean they are bad rides. I know often pirates is at 20 or lower when 7DMT can be at 90 minutes. Doesn't mean its unpopular. I'm not against updating parks at all. I mean honestly I think Disney can make more money if they do minimal changes to Disneyland and keep it close to where it is right now and then continue to make changes at Disneyland. That way when people want to go see some of their favorite rides and really step into days of their childhood, they can go to the westcoast and if people want rides of the future head to the east coast. Honestly it would not hurt my feelings one bit for them to get rid of Autopia, as there are lots of places that have go carts with more power than a riding lawnmower. That would free up almost a quarter of Futureland.

They may not be bad but they aren't popular enough to draw the crowd away from other rides.

If Dragon Challenge can go, nothing is safe IMO. But at least it cant get worse than that. The bar is now set extremely high.

If Dragon Challenge can go, nothing is safe IMO. But at least it cant get worse than that. The bar is now set extremely high.

Eh, that ride's days were numbered when they stopped running the two tracks at the same time. It went from having a neat gimmick that you didn't get everywhere else to being just another coaster with nothing that truly made it all that unique. Universal, like Disney, needs a ride to be more "ownable," something they can market as being something you can (mostly) only get at their park.

I'm still waiting for Philharmagic to get an upgrade. I love that ride/show but I'd love to see some of the newer IPs incorporated. Stitch, Princess and the Frog, TANGLED (gimme a scene with either the lanterns or the Snuggly Duckling), even Frozen (ignoring how over that movie I am).

Disney seems to let things run down before they replace them. I remember how tattered Horizons was and that many people said they wouldn't ride it because of its condition. There seems to be method to this madness.

I will riot if they ever decide to replace the Haunted Mansion.

ETA: We must be unlucky because TGM always had a line when we rode it. I was hoping for change, not replacement.

The lost of great movie ride...and even energy...represents large hourly capacity.

I still think its strange they take out movie ride now with so much gone from MGM...that 2,600 riders an hour is huge. They obviously looked at something that made them jump on this now...

I think they expect to be overrun In 2019...unlike dak

Eh, that ride's days were numbered when they stopped running the two tracks at the same time. It went from having a neat gimmick that you didn't get everywhere else to being just another coaster with nothing that truly made it all that unique. Universal, like Disney, needs a ride to be more "ownable," something they can market as being something you can (mostly) only get at their park.

I'm still waiting for Philharmagic to get an upgrade. I love that ride/show but I'd love to see some of the newer IPs incorporated. Stitch, Princess and the Frog, TANGLED (gimme a scene with either the lanterns or the Snuggly Duckling), even Frozen (ignoring how over that movie I am).

Agee somewhat, but you don't get barrel rolls and corkscrews like that in Orlando much (at least not US/Disney), esp that size, and no bottom so your legs hang, inverted.

But "ownable" is highly IP related IMO, something they have a lot of available.

Last edited:
The lost of great movie ride...and even energy...represents large hourly capacity.

I still think its strange they take out movie ride now with so much gone from MGM...that 2,600 riders an hour is huge. They obviously looked at something that made them jump on this now...

I think they expect to be overrun In 2019...unlike dak
The beginning part is true, but that's dependent on how many people actually use it. Referring to energy

Part of what I loved about my trip to DL 3 years ago was seeing how California seemed to show the classics some love. IASW has a few Pixar characters, Big Thunder got the 3rd lift explosion (while WDW removed the shaking rocks in a refurb Within the same year). Plus the overlays, like Jack Skellington and Christmas lights on IASW..
New didn't mean replace. DL is very creative in squeezing in more attractions, like Indy between POTC and JC.

Part of what I loved about my trip to DL 3 years ago was seeing how California seemed to show the classics some love. IASW has a few Pixar characters, Big Thunder got the 3rd lift explosion (while WDW removed the shaking rocks in a refurb Within the same year). Plus the overlays, like Jack Skellington and Christmas lights on IASW..
New didn't mean replace. DL is very creative in squeezing in more attractions, like Indy between POTC and JC.

Different clientele...

Disneyland is loyal but discerning...wdw is transient and often clueless...so the strategies are different.

On occasion I think back to what some of the lands, rides, and themed events of yesteryear were like and miss them. I then think how neat it would be if thee was a "Yesterland" themed park where rides of the past could be relived, and not just on a website or pictures.

There are certainly rides that need updates and some are getting them. Others are let to die. Figment needs an update. It's a ride with hardly ever a line. It's cute, but not sustainable. However it works and can absorb people when other rides are busy. Isn't it slated for an Inside Out retheme?

Carousel of Progress could use an update as well. DH worries that this ride will close some day, so we ride it every trip. The final scene could use a wardrobe update. It's not the 80s/early 90s. It's great that they have incorporated some of th latest technology, but make it more realistic, The VR game they're playing doesn't cut it. Add an 'Alexa' to their self functioning kitchen.

Country Bear is another one that could use an update. I love it. It's hokey, has AC, and a great location to wait out the rain. But it's never busy. When they removed it at DLR for Winnie the Pooh people were outraged. I'm assuming similarly to what I heard when Mr Toad was replaced by Pooh at WDW. Yes, there's a cameo of Max, Buff, and Melvin but you have to know where to look and sadly they don't move. CB could use an update to the sound track, maybe oil the figures so we don;t hear so much clicking.

Would make more sense than tomorrow land

Energy was also large capacity...and in its day actually had people on it...

...I was more thinking the movie ride though.
True but energy definitely doesn't meet their quota. But I know you know that.

I have no idea what the Mickey ride capacity will be, but I doubt it'll be what GMR is. Movie ride is a people eater

I don't think you can gauge too much about these two rides in relation to removal of classic rides like IASW, PP, Splash, etc.

Ellen was very dated and not popular at all. I woudl hesitate to call it a classic either. Not to mention that the Ellen version of the ride was a change from the original too. The ride system itself was not great. Most of the time was spent sitting in a room waiting for your vehicle or anotehr to move (at a snails pace) into or out of an auditorium.

GMR would be closer to classic status but I woulnd't put it in the same league as stuff like the above mentioned ones. Many people did liek it, however, it often didn't have much of a wait. Or if you did wait it was because they were trying to get enough people to fill up a car before loading. Also the films represented were getting very dated. Most kids probably didn't know what hardly any of them were. Also since they weren't Disney films they were going to have to pay to keep using those scenes. Granted this could have been remedied by them jsut updating the ride to going through Disney films, but they probably figured if they were going to have to redo it, might as well change the whole thing to a more modern attraction.

These issues aren't really a problem for the other classics right now. The current influx of live action remakes will probably help keep the older animated films relevant too. Plus they are timeless stories. That siad I don't think it would be impossible for any attraction to be removed. It will jsut come down to a matter of maintenance and popularity. If a ride doesn't get much attendance eventually or becomes too costly to maintain compared to the draw it gives the park. then there isn't much point to keeping it around when you can repalce it with something new.

In reality no attraction is truly untouchable. But I think it would be a VERY long time for Disney to even consider getting rid of classics like Space, Thunder, and Splash mt, Haunted Mansion etc. Then again ToT was re skinned with Guardians of the Galaxy, while it is the same ride I imagine it has an overall different feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!