The $6,688.00 Disney World Trip - It's a wrap 6/30, Has it really been a year? 3/2 Link to new TR 4/18

I'm coming out of lurking to say hello. I always enjoy reading your adventures.
Personally I'm happy they have done away with the little bottles. Fran steals every last one of them from every hotel we stay at. At home in my bathroom under one of the sinks I have bins FULL of them. I have them sorted into shampoo, conditioner, body wash, facial soap, body soap, lotion....I can only use the soaps because I have prescription shampoo and special conditioner. She doesnt seem to use them either so they just keep filling up and filling up. :sad2:
We have a ton of the disney shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. I have them out in both guest bathrooms plus the extra in the vanity and the linen closet. I took them on my last royal caribbean cruise, but forgot to take the body lotion.
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the studios at Riviera, just for kicks and giggles.
I can't believe you got upgraded from SSR to Riviera. I can't wait to hear what else happened to you with the upgrade. The last 2 DVC room changes we had resulted in us calling members services to fix their screw ups. One was being charged for parking at VGF, other was at boardwalk. Our room got downgraded so the extra points that we had borrowed went into holding. We got them back in the correct use year.

We are staying in a tower studio over the summer. I can't wait to check out Riviera . Not sure if we have any plans for that trip yet.

All caught up!

You always have the most delicious drinks!

The room is lovely!

We rode the Skyliner once just to try it. I can't imagine having to go it alone!

Was the Brooke you met Brookelizabeth from the boards? I used to read her TRs years ago. She seemed like a very sweet and genuine person.

While I was unpacking there was a knock on the door. It was housekeeping and they wanted to come in and change the towels or do something. I thought that was odd since we don’t get trash and towel service until the 3rd or 4th day of the stay. She seemed adamant about doing it, and I told her that she could come back after noon.
Time for your daily security sweep!
Back in the room, I told Fran it was time to get up. She'd had plenty of sleep by now, and I was going to make breakfast. Now remember this is the "unplanned" trip. Tonight on the loose schedule we were going to Trader Sam's and trying to get 'Ohana bread pudding. Fran said she didn't care what we did, or if we even went there. Ugh, I hope I can get her out of this funk.
But she wanted to go because she didn't get to do the things she wanted with your parents! It's time to wake up, Fran!
We took down her name so that we could give her a good word, that helps CMs a lot. Her name was Mirana
That's fantastic. I'm glad that you found someone so willing to be that helpful for you!
Our FP started at 12:25 and the first and last were throw away passes. The only option for transport from this place to Epcot and DHS is the skyliner. While many of you might think this is cool. I'm still a little traumatized that it's first accident happened the first day on my arrival of the last trip. Plus the fact that Fran and I have to ride in separate cars and several cars apart. Only one scooter can travel in the gondola. I have separation anxiety and the fact that I could be stuck alone in a car is a little disconcerting. Even more so is the fact that Fran could be stuck alone and have to be helped out without me being able to be there to help and comfort her.
While I like the speed and convenience of the Skyliner (AKA don't have to wait 20 minutes for a bus), I wasn't aware of the accessibility issues surrounding it. This doesn't sound like a great system. They really should still offer more regular bus service from the Skyliner resorts so that people have an option.
Bus service started to DS at 4PM and we headed out of the park and in that direction around 3:45. When we got to the bus stop there were already two scooters waiting. At 3:52 a bus pulled up and they boarded. The driver said he would send another bus our way. Sure enough at 3:59 another bus to DS was pulling up!
That's some great service!
Looking around the room, they have all kinds of interesting stuff on the walls.
::yes:: I love Jock Lindsey's. Sorry you missed out on the diving bell.
As soon as she saw us, she jumped out of her chair, came running over giving us big hugs, and saying, "Oh my god! I haven't seen you in forever," and all sorts of other nice things. As we were getting reacquainted, the hostess came to tell us our table was ready. She followed us to the table and we chatted some more until one of her bosses came over, so we said we would catch up later.
Awesome Dis meet!
While we were waiting, the fireworks at Epcot went off. They gave us some notice to go out on the terrace so we could watch them. Not the best pictures, but what I could get from my cell phone just to give you the idea.
I'm glad that you were able to be there for that. Seems to be one of the highlights of that restaurant!

Since we were staying a while I always like to unpack and put things in the closet and drawers and such. If we are staying 4 nights or longer I don't want to live out of a suitcase.

We always unpack, we even unpack for our ski hill trips, which are generally only 2 nights...

t was housekeeping and they wanted to come in and change the towels or do something. I thought that was odd since we don’t get trash and towel service until the 3rd or 4th day of the stay. She seemed adamant about doing it, and I told her that she could come back after noon

How odd- I wonder if the old booking had different dates and some sort of list wasn't updated.

got myself an Americano.

D's fav are Americano's..I like my Lattes

That's adorable, and soo perfect for you!

Tonight on the loose schedule we were going to Trader Sam's and trying to get 'Ohana bread pudding.

I want to go to 'Ohana so bad, it's always been so popular on here

We took down her name so that we could give her a good word, that helps CMs a lot. Her name was Mirana

We try to do this also, forward compliments with names.

it's first accident happened the first day on my arrival of the last trip.

I remember messaging with you about this- as I was reading about it almost live, and didn't know when you guys had got there

Plus the fact that Fran and I have to ride in separate cars and several cars apart. Only one scooter can travel in the gondola.

Ohh only one per car- would it be a tight fit to have 2 in there?

Even more so is the fact that Fran could be stuck alone and have to be helped out without me being able to be there to help and comfort her.

The CBR is the "hub" for the Skyliner and they have three different lines converging here.

Was it busy in the hub?

she had a thing we needed to take care of online for DL CA at 10AM Pacific so we went through security and then waited while she took care of business on her phone right at 1PM. You know how these Disney things work, they sell out in less than minutes.

Glad you got it!

our first FP which was Star Tours. They had all new scenes, at least to me! It was very cool! S

We still love ST's, always been a fav for sure

It was very cool. I love this version. It's so much better than ours was. Ours is much better as Guardians.

Agree agree agree! Loved the TOT at WDW but love love love Guardians, it's just sooo much fun!

Agreed, that's a big dog!

I found some Dark Roast coffee in one of the shops

Is it good coffee?

We missed getting to sit in the diving bell by less than a minute.

Oh do tell? I could google it I suppose too

When they bring you the collectible mug, the waitress told her to give him a name and feed him twice a day.
LOL too funny! Fran has a few to feed I suppose ;)

I like this pic a lot! It's kinda artsy, but not over the top

The room has all kinds of neat stuff going on, we were seated near this ancient ice making machine. It would bubble, make some noise, and then it put out one of those cool sphere ice cubes like they serve at 1901.

I would want to sit by that machine! too cool!
💙 1901 💙

As soon as she saw us, she jumped out of her chair, came running over giving us big hugs, and saying, "Oh my god! I haven't seen you in forever," and all sorts of other nice things.

Awww! that's great

We started off with the Ricotta, the description says: Tomato, Aged Balsamic, Cracked Pepper, Basil,

Yum, I'm quite fond of these sort of soft cheeses

Ellen insisted we take this picture.

Happy Disney folks!!

They also had some pastries in their case, but they didn’t appeal to me that much.

They look good to me!

Fran said she didn't care what we did, or if we even went there. Ugh, I hope I can get her out of this funk.

Oh, this is gonna be a fun trip! What happened to Ms. WE HAVE TO GO TO WDW THIS YEAR?

Plus the fact that Fran and I have to ride in separate cars and several cars apart. Only one scooter can travel in the gondola.

Huh. That's kind of annoying.

Business taken care of we headed to our first FP which was Star Tours. They had all new scenes, at least to me! It was very cool!

Nice!

She checked out the dump shop with no purchases! Shocking!

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Fran won't use those little yellow corn ear holders that we have at home, but she said she would use these.

I've never heard of a corn holder snob before.

We missed getting to sit in the diving bell by less than a minute.

Aw, man. That would be cool.

When they bring you the collectible mug, the waitress told her to give him a name and feed him twice a day.

And his name is...?

Our waitress told us fun stories about some of the stuff on the walls, the only thing I remember was the coin that got seared into one of the bad guy's hands was on a wall somewhere.

Nice! Now I'm going to have to find it.

The room has all kinds of neat stuff going on, we were seated near this ancient ice making machine. It would bubble, make some noise, and then it put out one of those cool sphere ice cubes like they serve at 1901.

This place sounds awesome. I really need to check it out someday.

I swear for this day we had @pkondz's bus pass cause the moment we pulled up at the bus stop, I turned around to see a Riviera bus pulling up to take us home.

Someday I really want to know what that bus pass feels like.

We took the elevator two floors up, and Fran asked, "Where do we go?" And as soon as we got out of the elevator she said, "Oh, it's just like the Fantasy." Tell me if you understand that reference cause I had the exact same thought!

:confused3

Now I knew that Ellen (podsnel for those who remember her), was going to be dining here tonight. She had a reservation at 7PM with all her TA folks as they were on a business trip. But she didn't know Fran and I had made a reservation for this evening. Those of you who know Ellen will remember her as a shy and reserved kind of gal who doesn't get overly emotional and do crazy things, right? Haha who am I kidding? As soon as she saw us, she jumped out of her chair, came running over giving us big hugs, and saying, "Oh my god! I haven't seen you in forever," and all sorts of other nice things.

Oh, nice! I'm glad you got to catch up with Ellen!

That looks like a nice spot to watch the show!

Ellen and her party were just finishing up, and I finally met Brooke, TA extraordinaire, and all around nice person. FB has been suggesting that I add her as a friend for quite a while now, and we agreed that since we have met, now we can actually be friends!

She shows up on my feed all the time, too. Never once spoken to her!

I know. I know. I was pretty tired going into this trip. And I don't push myself on vacation. I'm too old for that.

Ah! Okay. That's more like it.

It gets better....

::yes::
I'll unpack if I'm staying more than one night.

Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "unpack".....I take things out of the suitcase if I'm staying two nights, but I don't generally put stuff in drawers, hang up other clothes for less than 4 nights.

Um.... hello? It's morning?? Go away.

More like we're DVC, you're not supposed to come until Thursday.

Yes, I would think that would be a pretty good sign.

I hadn't unpacked her eye shade yet, or at least put it where she knew where to find it.

Nice. :) Good to have friends who can help out. :)

::yes:: Fellow Disney crazies are good to have!

Uh, oh...

:hug:

She's finally starting to come out of it.

Yuss! Score

:thumbsup2

Nope! I could not drink V8 with pastry. That's a hard no for me.

Well I drank the coffee with the pastry (which would be an even harder no for you), and then drank the V8 after, so sequentially. We need our morning veggies if we're going to eat kinda crappy the rest of the day.

Wow! That's a very good maintenance person!

Yes she was!

How?
I mean how does it help, not how to do it.

If CMs are specifically mentioned by guests, it goes a long way towards their performance evaluations.

I know. But... they really are very safe.

But....

Oh.

:(
I'm sorry. I didn't think of that. For some reason, I guess I just assumed you'd both be in the same car, but of course not. :sad2:
Sorry for my being obtuse.

There really isn't room for two scooters in one of them. Once you get in they put blocks behind your back wheels to keep you from rolling anywhere.

How bad was that? Or wasn't it too bad?

The times when we went through there (which weren't generally peak times) there was no waiting. We would just go from the Riviera Line to the DHS line.

Awww... poor Alison. :(

I just have separation anxiety. Makes no sense. I also get ancy when she is out of phone communication. There is a story that once I was out at DL and couldn't get her on the phone for over an hour. She was much sicker then, and we actually left the park for a wellness check. And then came right back when she had simply left her phone in the bathroom.

Oh! Maybe I need to ride this again. I've been happy to skip it lately.

I believe they were scenes from the most recent movie, but since I hadn't actually seen it, at that time, I didn't really know.

How was that?

It was very good, but a LOT of food!

Evidently they are too small for her arthritic hands.

Great place. I like it there. :)

Yeah... I can see that.
Serious suggestion... If you think you'll be riding it more (Like if you know you'll be staying at the same resort in the future), maybe invest in a couple of two way radios? Stash them in your purses (or a locker) when you get to the end terminal?
Of course if you have two phones with good voice plans, then just do that.
But maybe that would help you feel less lonely? You could talk. Point out things. Just be reassured.

By the end of the trip, she would text me. I got less jittery about riding it. I doubt we will have this problem in the future.

Well... poop! That thing looks fun. :)

I know. I was bummed when that family walked right to it.

:laughing: Did you? Do you???

I think the poor thing died. It's still in the suitcase! :laughing:

Reallly!!! The real one? How cool is that!

I don't know. I didn't get up to look for it, but that's what she said!

Cool!

Um... sure, what the heck. Pun intended!

:laughing:

You're welcome to borrow it any time.

Well thanks. We actually had mostly good luck this time.

Yeah, none of my cruising friends seem to be reading along, so, poop.

Did you have to request the balsamic again?

I don't think so, but I don't really remember.

I know. I know. I was pretty tired going into this trip. And I don't push myself on vacation. I'm too old for that.
I'm slowing down, myself... but... I suspect if I don't get back for a while (not counting any last minute whirlwind tours prior to AP expiring), that I'll be speeding up again.
Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "unpack".....I take things out of the suitcase if I'm staying two nights, but I don't generally put stuff in drawers, hang up other clothes for less than 4 nights.
I put them in drawers. And hang stuff. But it has to be for more than one night.
More like we're DVC, you're not supposed to come until Thursday.
That too.
I hadn't unpacked her eye shade yet, or at least put it where she knew where to find it.
what shade was it? Umber? Puce?
::yes:: Fellow Disney crazies are good to have!
:laughing:

Well I drank the coffee with the pastry (which would be an even harder no for you),
Correct.
and then drank the V8 after, so sequentially.
Ah. Yes, that I could (and would) do. :)
We need our morning veggies if we're going to eat kinda crappy the rest of the day.
:laughing: Okay, that I understand!
If CMs are specifically mentioned by guests, it goes a long way towards their performance evaluations.
Ah! Okay, I didn't know that. Good... Very good to know!
There really isn't room for two scooters in one of them. Once you get in they put blocks behind your back wheels to keep you from rolling anywhere.
Yeah, I should've thought of that. I did see them last I was there. They're not giant gondolas.
The times when we went through there (which weren't generally peak times) there was no waiting. We would just go from the Riviera Line to the DHS line.
Not bad!
I just have separation anxiety. Makes no sense. I also get ancy when she is out of phone communication. There is a story that once I was out at DL and couldn't get her on the phone for over an hour. She was much sicker then, and we actually left the park for a wellness check. And then came right back when she had simply left her phone in the bathroom.
Oy! :sad2:
Evidently they are too small for her arthritic hands.
Ohhhh… Okay, that I get.
By the end of the trip, she would text me. I got less jittery about riding it. I doubt we will have this problem in the future.
Good to hear. :)
I think the poor thing died. It's still in the suitcase! :laughing:
:lmao:
Well thanks. We actually had mostly good luck this time.
Good! :)

Yup, that Saturday. We had a late breakfast at Garden Grill then had a FP for Frozen and that was enough for the day. I LOVE the festival of the arts, but the downside of all those artist tents is that it made getting around on such a crowded day even more difficult. My mom was stressed trying to navigate the crowds and I was feeling claustrophobic too so we just went back to the boardwalk early to wait for scooter pickup and DME.

Yeah it wasn't so bad during the week, but in the weekend, it was nuts.

Most of my souvenirs other than clothes go in my carryon. And if they are in my suitcase they are usually something breakable so I put them in between the clothes in my laundry bag. I’m sure that inadvertently provides a bit of a deterrent as well!

My carry on is prime real estate as my computer, DSLR camera, meds, jewelry, and other such valuables go in there. We just have to chance it in the suitcase.

I’d love to hear what you thought of the loading and unloading process of the skyliner with a scooter at Rivera. I know the at the other stations they pull cars off the main line, but since they can’t do that there we opted not to bring scooter when we went to visit the resort though it would’ve been nice to have.

It wasn't bad at all. They slow it down to a virtual crawl that you are hardly moving at all.

My carry on is prime real estate as my computer, DSLR camera, meds, jewelry, and other such valuables go in there. We just have to chance it in the suitcase.
I take a much larger carry-on and personal item than I really should, especially since it makes it difficult to shlep through the airport. But my suitcases always are barely under weight limit so I often need to redistribute to the large carry-on for the return trip. I keep a mini luggage scale with me to make sure I don’t have any trouble on the way home.
It wasn't bad at all. They slow it down to a virtual crawl that you are hardly moving at all.
Oh that’s good to hear. I’ll make a note of that for when we are at the boardwalk again in August. I’d like to have a meal at Rivera at some point.

I saw the title of your TR and decided to read it. This made me actually laugh out loud and I have decided Fran is my new favorite person! Love it! Can't wait to read the rest of the TR!

:welcome:

I had to chuckle when I read this. Fran is a lovely person, but not everyone sees that and rarely, if ever, has someone said that Fran is their new favorite person! :laughing:

I'm so glad you liked the Marie band...I thought it was super cute. Happy my friends were able to find it and always happy to deliver in person to you!

Thank you for executing that plan. I was afraid that they would be sold out by the time I got there, but they still had them at Mousegears. I was happy to have mine from the beginning!

Jock Lindsay's looks like so much fun...We should put that on the list of places to go for the big 50th trip. Your dinner looked great too...too bad about the overcooked shrimp. Seeing Ellen and Brook would be the highlight though! I spent a memorable Cinco de Drinko with Ellen and I would love to meet Brook IRL.

It can definitely go on the list! And we can try the queso. We need to figure out days! I have no WDW trips to plan. I have enough for six nights in a 1 br at BLT. I'm thinking BCV for either before or after. Probably after since September is so hot.

I remember reading out that Cinco de Di OK adventure!

Ohh you guys are clever! I was just like 'wow! kinda cool!"

Well I'm generally suspicious and cynical....

ahhh ohhhh- warning flag...

I knew it wasn't going to be a smooth transition!

I'm guessing they issue new bands with each stay

Yes they mail them in advance to Americans living in the US. Other folks pick them up at the front desk.

Hmmmm... :scratchin The fact that they didn't mail me my bands could have been a red flag.

I think I like it! That's a lot of cupboards- is there much in them?

There pretty much all full. There is service for eight in there. Big plates, little plates, tall glasses, short glasses, bowls, coffee mugs and wine glasses.

Nice! Was it comfy?

Pam and her Mom said it was the most uncomfortable couch they had ever sat on. Fran and I really only sat on it the first night when we turned on the TV. I didn't find it uncomfortable.

Very suitable for you two!
Nice hidden mickey!

Took me a few days to see all of that stuff!

Yay, glad it was a decent tub still.

I would have enjoyed the SSR one more, but this was still better than BCV.

Sure Disney, sure...

I know, right?

I have a couple these- they are handy indeed!

I'd never seen one before and it took me a few days until I showed it to Fran and said, "What's this?" She figured it out.

Glad it was a non-issue, you've def had some annoying issues

I know. Considering I cut down on packing by expecting to do laundry, it sucks when its difficult.

Geez! Pretty empty indeed!

It did fill up quite quickly after the people who were on the last of the Skyliner crowd came in.

Wine in a can is very handy sometimes...

Thanks to you I keep several in my fridge....

If it's something I really want to eat, or am still hungry, I generally complain, in this situation I'd be meh too.

Too much hassle for not enough reward.

Is that a salt/pepper shaker beside your mug

It's a pepper grinder. Unfortunately it was empty, but thanks to Pam being my personal shopper later in the week, it's full now!

Yes, it disassembles for travel. I needed a heavy duty one, so even broken apart the back wheel assembly is pretty heavy. The other thing that is a drawback is the scooter has to be assembled to charge it. I had a smaller DRIVE scooter before (long story) that the battery was in a case and could charge separately. That was great, and this is a pain but we deal with it. Otherwise its a great scooter, never a worry about it not being powerful enough.

That's a bummer that it needs to be assembled to charge. Our Gogos have a battery pack so that just the battery can charge. Sometimes at home we leave the scooter in the car and just bring in the battery to charge. We have a new Mini Van where we just roll the scooter up some little ramps and sometimes we just leave it in the car if we are making trips out to DL often. We will just take the battery in the house and charge it. Normally at DL I don't need the scooter, only we are going for multiple days in a row. Then I need it.

I'm not familiar with the Victory models. I've seen them, but we've always had Gogos, they are just easy and work for us.

I assume California has Goodwill stores. Here in NJ Goodwill has a division for medical equipment. They have a warehouse sale in the medical division every so often and put thousands of new and used medical equipment pieces on sale at a very discounted price. Everything from hospital beds, walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, canes, blood pressure monitors, and scooters. I was able to buy a brand new never used scooter for a third the price of what a new one would have cost - $400. I ended up selling it for what I paid because it wasn't powerful enough.

We will have to look into this. We do have Goodwill, but not sure if they have a division for Medical Equipment. There is such a high demand out here, I don't know if they could keep it in stock!

I bet, that does seem very very far...

I asked her this morning if that was going to be our next trip. I didn't get an answer. :sad2:

Mmm chili..I went to make it the other day as I cooked off a load of ground beef (and prob some ground pork too, can't remember) the other day for taco meat, spag sauce, and chili but couldn't make the chili as realized I had no chili powder or kidney beans...

Not sure if you saw my FB post, but that's what I did with some of the chili. There is still a ton left. Probably going to donate it to Naked JIm.

Yup they have them here too, reminds me of childhood too, bologna was the only lunch meat we had, and that was only when it was on sale. Otherwise it was peanut butter sammies.

I think my Mom just served us Bologna cause that's what you give kids. I don't think it was cost cutting thing. That didn't happen until I was in HS.

Yes, @franandaj Tony's used to get hammered on the boards. I was planning our first trip in like 2007 I think and was hesitant to try but we really liked it. Good food and good service. Is it 5 star? Nope but I am not eating Italian in MK expecting it to be. :dogdance:

I didn't join the DIS until 2009, and I never heard any bad rumors about it. I think now that you mention it, you've said a few times over the years that it's gotten a bad rap. I've only heard good things about it and I'd eat there again.

Oh yeah? Well, maybe I'll just keep reading! So there!

Fine ! Be that way!

Nah. If it's a quickie, then I only have a carry-on. Makes it quicker at customs.

:sad2: I wish we could travel that light.

Too bad. I did like the charm. And... I never really had trouble getting a table.

I didn't either, as long as I made the reservation at 180 days!

well... poop. Do it and "forget" to mention it? Does she actually check the stash?
No. Nevermind… that wouldn't be very honest.

Well considering that the place I would donate it is the church where the band rehearses, she might notice....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter