The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Your Bo Beep story was very well done. Did you plan the story ahead of time or did you wait until you saw your photos before you put it all together?The photos go really well with the story.

Your costume was amazing!

It didn’t take long, but the Village Illustrator took just a few moments too long and when Bo turned to gather her flock to move on, she realized that they had continued on without her. They were nowhere in sight among the throngs of Villagers and panic began to arise in Bo’s thinking, but rather than act like the chickens of her farm, she hatched a plan to methodically look for their wagging tails behind them.
Were your kids actually with you for this party?
As she rounded one particular darkened corner, she came face to face with a tankard toting man who startled her greatly.
This is a cute photo. Did you know this man?

Wonderful update of the Magic Kingdom with a nice poem. Your pictures are spot on.

Of the quieter, non-dark, non-thrill rides, perhaps a show-type, but could be a "ride", which do you enjoy most? Ideas that come to mind: Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle, COP, IaSW, even Swiss Family.... Choose one or two and tell us why.

COP is our family favorite, but we did finally try Liberty Belle when I dropped Danielle off for her DCP. It was a nice break.

For those of you who travel solo, I’ve not had a ton of experience with a lot of characters, but I’ve never had a Meet gone bad. Most are happy enough to engage in some level of chit-chat about your clothes or what you’ve done in the park, or about their movie all while staying in character.

I branched out and did a few character meets on my own back in December and enjoyed it.

The cinnamon roll was soft and good as always,

Had my first one in December.

Speaking of which, Sleepy Hollow was the surprise breakfast winner,

This sounds so good. I haven't had it yet but Danielle did for the first time on Friday. She's on a quest to try all the snacks while she's there. She and her roommates started an Instagram ID the snacks they try.

Lastly, a few words for those that are into Imagineering History about Culpepper Clyne.

So much cool information on your trip reports.

Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep,
Okay... funny that you included a link for sheep. :laughing:
wagging (bringing) their tails behind them.
Bringing?
Apparently that's the most common? Or was? But I'd never heard that.
Bo Peep was eager for her party and dressed in her favorite fineries for the evening's festivities.
Love the costume. I told you so, too, that night. :)
Being a good shepherdess, naturally she kept her sheep close by to be cared for and watched closely.
Not that good a shepherdess... you lost them, after all.
Making sure all was in order, she flagged down the nearest farm cart
I thought maybe you'd taken a Lyft, Uber or Minnie Van, until I read the next line...
Many were lowing which set her small flock to bleating making for quite a noisy ride.
Yeah... definitely a Disney bus.
Her crook came in handy more than once to keep the more oaf-like, hairy beasts at bay.
Definitely a Disney bus.
the Village Illustrator
Nice one. ::yes::
she ran across 2 finely dressed gentlemen carrying spades.
Those guys were great! Totally in character.
Their appearance in the moonlight gave them an eerie, whitish appearance much like she imagined those living across the Sea in a land called Oregon
:lmao:
She did leave wondering, however, what exactly they were looking for under the earth so late at night
Just worms. For fishing. Totally innocent.
a very careless man on horseback nearly ran her over!
Hard to see where you're going without eyes, ya know.
He was also headed in the direction of the Leaders
Headed?

I see what you did there. ::yes::
she was glad she hadn't asked for a ride to her destintation.
And yet... how cool would it be if you could ride with him at the start of the parade????
She needn’t have worried though, for there was something about sheep she would learn by the end of the night.
Sheep?
Sure.
You can shear them.
Surely.
The expression on her face gave her excitement away. It’s like she’d done this before and knew how much fun getting married is.
:rolleyes1
“Good evening, Ma’am! I’m looking for my sheep; have you seen them along your way?”

“No, but you can always check my attic! I’m so sorry! I must hurry along, I have to find my next husband…”
:lmao:
Nice.
She searched on the hillside rising up beside her only to find the headstones of a few other unfortunate animals who’d met their earthly demise.
As long as there's no tombstone with:

Here lies Bo Peep's Sheep.
Once alive,
Now six feet deep.

Things seemed to be in such disrepair she wondered what kind of owner and Landlord lived here.
I'm not fond of doing chores.
With a reassuring voice he calmed her fears and offered her a draught from his drink which steadied her nerves.
Never accept a drink from a stranger.
The Landlord who turned out to be quite a nice, unsuspecting, unpretentious man
I see I've got you completely fooled.
The village over the river was riddled with bearded, smelly folk that reeked of booze and a lack of bathing.
Oops. Sorry. That was me.
human captives were being sold to the highest bidders.
Alas. Not any more.
She spied a flock of chickens in a box clucking in panic each time a marauder fired a black powder round.
I love those! They're hilarious! :laughing:
and just in time, she deftly used her crook, for she was an expert, to pull her companion to safety.
Ohhhh… So that's what happened.
It was close, but they both knew in that moment she had saved his life from being pulled into the dark waters and taken captive.
Thanks for that. In my state, I don't think I could've swum very well.
from the man who goes by Hatter: “Leave them alone, and they’ll come home!”
Always trust a man in a big hat.

This is a truism.
The littlest lamb in her grasp began to frantically bleat and leapt out of her arms rushing to his found companions.
Awww...
Did you know there are 4 more macabre verses to Little Bo Peep:
Had no idea!
But... at least she tacks their tails back on.
Reminds me of Pin the Tail on the Donkey...
With Valentine's Day coming up, do you give your kids (if you have them) a little gift?
Nope!
I've always thought of V day as for lovers... not parental or sibling love.

Love your Bo Peep costume! You really aced the party costumes this year. :thumbsup2

I feel a little guilty after reading everyone's replies, because I do zilch for my kids on Valentine's. :rotfl2: I help Landon make/address cards for his class but that's it. I just bought a couple boxes of Girl Scout cookies, so I guess I could show my love to them tomorrow by sharing some. :laughing:

Another over the top costume! I really appreciate your Disney esprit de corps.

Such a testament to your innate motherhood and nursing heart that Little Bo Sheep has a smile on his (or her?) face through all of the trials of the evening. S/he felt very safe in your arms.

🐑

The farmer bid her good evening and wished her well as she daintily stepped off the cart avoiding the offending substances left behind by the cattle.

Man, Disney is really letting itself go these days.

She knew once on the Main Street that the atmosphere of the party might be a distraction to the youngest of her flock and they’d forget to stay close to her.

Oh, like that would ever happen.

It didn’t take long, but the Village Illustrator took just a few moments too long and when Bo turned to gather her flock to move on, she realized that they had continued on without her.

Like I was saying...

She did leave wondering, however, what exactly they were looking for under the earth so late at night and thought she might want to pick up the pace in looking for her sheep with a slight shudder while bidding them good-bye.

I think they're trying to find Rise of the Resistance boarding passes.

“It must be very hard to see where one is going with no head!” While he muttered an apology

I feel like you buried the lede here. How exactly was he muttering?

“No, but you can always check my attic! I’m so sorry! I must hurry along, I have to find my next husband…”

I'm sure the guys are lining up for that one!

As she rounded one particular darkened corner, she came face to face with a tankard toting man who startled her greatly.

Looks like he got what he deserved!

It was close, but they both knew in that moment she had saved his life from being pulled into the dark waters and taken captive.

Thank goodness!....I think.

530981849-L.jpg

(cue Psycho strings)

Did you know there are 4 more macabre verses to Little Bo Peep:

Nope! I had no idea.

With Valentine's Day coming up, do you give your kids (if you have them) a little gift? Or do you exchange or give anything with anyone other than a sweetheart?

Nope! We do absolutely nothing. Julie and I both feel it's a Hallmark holiday, so we don't bother with it. Date nights and declarations of love mean more when it's our decision, not mandated by an obligatory date on the calendar. :thumbsup2

Also, the gifts and candy are 50% off on Feb. 15.

Well that was quite an adventure! Glad you found your sheep in the end!

That costume was very clever and cute. You certainly worked in your share of photo ops! Good job! I was wondering if the elders were going to work out to be the Dwarves.

I am happy to read that you are back to work! I hope things improved this week with regard to pain and feeling more comfortable with what you are doing.

I loved both your costumes for both the parties. So cute. But the best was the male Alice! Very clever!

O is for: One Country, One Souvenir at a Time

I can amble, I can wander, I can even sashay, but I saunter best. Because it’s the best way to take in and enjoy World Showcase. Admittedly, there were a few times this last trip I did not amble, sashay, or saunter. Like when I had to practically run from China to Food Alley to retrieve my camera battery that Kari so graciously brought for me when I forgot it in the room. I forgot a LOT of stuff this trip but that’s a rabbit hole we don’t need to fall into right now. Instead, saunter with me if you will...

After a few food nibblies from Food Alley, that place with the booths such as Earth Eats, Chocolate Studio, Coastal Eats, etc… we are going to turn right. I have a reason for this. Well, two actually. I want to end in Mexico, because we’re going to have dinner there. I’ll even show you what it was like if you stick with me. And secondly, it’s the proper way to tackle World Showcase. Why? Because you can start fairly soon with a lemony slushie.

Most of you already know I play a little game every year (Actually, I do a couple of personal challenges regularly, and picked up a few extra games on my recent trips and we’ll get to those.) in which I Shop-Around-the-World. As a review, I challenge myself to find one souvenir from each country around World Showcase that: 1) Costs less than $10.00, 2) Is small enough to fit easily in my suitcase, 3) Is something practical that I can use in everyday life (exceptions are Christmas ornaments), 4) It can’t be consumable like candy or other food, and 5) I have to find it in 10-15 minutes or less. I generally don’t enjoy shopping much especially for clothing and accessories. So, I’m in, I’m out. If I spend too long, the country gets nixed. I should have skipped America altogether this year, but we’ll get to that too…

Canada is first up and is almost always a complete disappointment. We’ve had this discussion before and this year was no different. After finding my Remy (one of my other games I picked up, but I’ll cover that in another post) and doing a bit of photography, I headed into the Worst Mockintile.

I won’t expound on how dismal the merch is in there again but simply post this coaster I picked up. It actually DOES get used by my roommate every night, so sure, useful. Do I love it? No. But it’s not a hockey puck, so there’s that.

But! Where the merchandise in Canada fails, the scenery and beauty of the Pavilion more than make up for it.

s,

I passed on the maple popcorn, but we did enjoy the upbeat, quite talented Canadian group, Suroît, a folk band from Québec’s Magdalen Islands. Yes, I Googled that and have no idea where the Magdalen Islands are except that they must be near Quebec. With an adult beverage in hand from one of the F&W kiosks, we spent a good 20 minutes tapping our feet and be-bopping. Please excuse the extraordinarily crappy cell phone photos.

Moving on we got to the United Kingdom.

It was a really fast flight over the Pond. No stop in Gander required. The accents are cool, the Pavilion is picturesque, and it’s never hard to find a nice souvenir to take home. This year, I found a Cheshire Cat coaster to match the Alice one I already had. Which more than fit this year's trip to a T! And makes me wonder if they are rolling out a series that I could collect for a few more years. Makes the choosing all that much easier. And yes, I like coasters. I have a lot of wood in my place, and I do use them.

I wish these tins of shortbread were less $$. I'd have bought one in a flash.

But sometimes the best souvenir is a photo of loved ones in a place you love as well.

We passed on the Tea Tour and headed over the bridge and into France. I failed to take many photos here as I find it’s just not that easy to photograph. It’s always so people-y in there and I like my photos to have minimal amounts of peoples. So, instead you get a couple of my favorities from years past.

Did I get a slushie? You betcha! With Doc and Coni. Did I get some sorbet? Yep, that was on the day I made friends with a young boy who came out of his shell to talk about Disney with me. Did I find a souvenir to bring home? Yep, did that too. In fact, here it is:

(It's about the size of a pencil case about 4 in. X 8 in.)

A little pouchy-pursey thing that I can use for traveling to put makeup or doodads in. I love the Provence-style stuff they have in the (better) shop that’s next to the perfume shop. NOT the one that only sells Paris stuff crap.

Continuing on, we find ourselves wandering around the back alleys of a Moroccan bazaar. Voices are heard above you as shopkeepers banter and exotic background music echoes off the ochre-colored stucco walls.

I found this incredible article about the construction, details, and well EVERYTHING about this pavilion. Loads of details here!

https://allears.net/2011/10/24/morocco-pavilion-part-one/

I love to photograph this pavilion! There are loads of details and colors and amazing textures and wonderful patterns. Here are a couple of my favorites from this trip.

By the way, there is a new exhibit in the museum...

It didn’t take long to find a little take home gift for myself. This little bowl, along with the piece I got in Japan, sit on my antique family heirloom highchair and holds my keys at the end of the day. It brings a little smile to my face every morning and every evening.

The Moroccan one is the little bowl with gold rimming.

The rhythmic drumming invites us to move along towards the Japan Pavilion and the kids always want to pause to take a listen.

After a few minutes we made our way into Mitsukoshi where there are no AP or Visa discounts. Just throwing that in as a little FYI. It’s super easy to find my souvenir here as I always get, for as long as I’ve been doing this little challenge, a little piece of ceramic work. One piece holds my garlic by the stove, and this years sits on the same highchair with the Moroccan piece holding keys or other trinkets from the day. Under $10, found in 5 minutes, used every day. Viola! Or Dekiagari in Japanese.

The Japanese one is on the right shaped like a leaf.

Photo taking was kept to a minimum in this pavilion, not because it’s not photogenic, but for some reason, I just didn’t. However, I did get one of my favorite WS pix from this trip here.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post...

The American Pavilion is my least favorite by far. It’s bland, minimalistic, has the WORST merchandise, even worse than Canada, and gross food choices. We’ll see if the new BBQ place can change that. I do, however, adore VOL and catch them almost every trip, and love the American Adventure show but haven’t seen it in far too long.

While I did get to enjoy some amazing acapella, I ended up with a stupid postcard just to say I bought something here. This is the one pavilion I should have just skipped. I don’t need shot glasses, t-shirts, or license plates.

It’s such a shame. There could be so much amazing merchandise like handcrafts from Amish country, specialty products from each state like small batch spirits from Oregon, Hatch chilis from New Mexico, or Mardi Gras items from Louisiana. The list is endless.

Disappointed, we moved on to Italy where I’m back in territory where it’s easy to snag my souvenir. I’ve got a nice collection of the little hand-painted Italian masquerade mask magnets. I see them every day, and someday, I might get them framed along with some of my favorite photos I bring back from my trip to Italy this Fall. Disney is a wonderful place to vacation, but for me it’s also inspiring to get out and travel to the actual places they showcase. Venice, here I come!

I’m going to throw in a bonus here and mention that by the time we got to Italy, we were hot, sweaty, and needing a sit-down break badly. It definitely wasn’t in the plan to visit the Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar, but it was the closest thing I could find to get us into some air conditioning that wasn't a meal so we could re-charge a bit. Mikki ordered a belini, Zach ordered a Coke and Anara stuck with water. I, on the other hand, got a beautiful wine flight called Under a Tuscan Sun. Wonderful!

To share we ordered the:

La Siciliana (for two) $27

-Fior di Latte Mozzarella - pasta filata, hand-crafted, made from cow's milk
-Cacciatorini - black pepper, wine marinated, beef and pork cured sausages
Caponata

-Sicilian eggplant agrodolce salad

It definitely would NOT be enough for a meal for 2 people. A little pick-me-up yes, but if you want to leave more than with just a teaser, but not full, I’d suggest you order 2 of the small plates. There are several mixes of Italian delicacies to choose from.

We’re over halfway done when we arrive in Germany refreshed and ready to continue our circuit.

This pavilion is the 3rd most difficult to find something in. I struggle every single time. Only once have a found something truly useful. That was when I bought the little beer bottle faux stein lid topper than now sits on my olive oil bottle next to the stove. It’s a perfect use for it!

This is the bottle topper from Germany AND the 2 egg coddlers I got from the Moroccan Pavilion in previous years holding my salt and crushed red pepper AND the garlic dish I got from Japan.

This year I ended up with a little magnet that is on my stove as a simple decoration. Not useful, but I do see it every day and it fits the colors in my kitchen nicely. No, we didn’t stop at Karamel Kuche. (Yes, old photo from when it was on my fridge. I do know the difference between the fridge and the stove for all of you smart donkeys out there.)

We moved onto China.

This is where I got my nurse on before I shopped. After holding bags of puke, I found a perfect little something that I absolutely LOVE! This cute little bag is my little travel buddy that holds my charging cords and adapters. It’s the perfect size to tuck into my carryon bag and hold everything all together in one place.

I also got a few decent photos that showcase the intricate detailing on the building facades. Mikki got a bubble tea and we moved on.

Norway comes into view and we are greeted with this little beauty. The Cream Made of Dreams:

Before getting my little souvenir, we took a stroll through the Stave Church that showcases the Nordic Gods which were made hugely popular with the Marvel franchise. But there is a LOT more to this exhibit than you might see with a cursory glance. Here again is a VERY THOROUGH article that explains the display in great detail along with some Norse culture and Mythology.

https://wildhunt.org/2018/05/review-gods-of-the-vikings-invade-disney-world.html

At risk of sounding boring or repetitive, this is also a pavilion I have started a collection from. Yes, there are only a limited number to buy, and this year, while I still like what I got, I was a moron and bought a repeat item. Next time I shop around the world, I’ll make sure to take photos of the items from the collections I already have so I don’t make the same mistake again. This isn’t the first time I’ve done that. The year before last I bought a duplicate from Mexico too.

We finish our lovely saunter around World Showcase in Mexico. Doesn’t a margarita sound nice? Tough. La Cava’s line is up the ramp and it’ll take over an hour to get one. Unless you have an ADR at San Angel. Which we did. But first a stroll through the pavilion and a ride on It’s a Small Mexico.

I’m out of designs for the little crosses I’ve been collecting so got a Dia de los Muertos tile. I’m still trying to figure out where and how to hang it, so until then it sits propped up on a shelf.

I’ll stop here because it’s time to make another cup of coffee and get this posted so I can actually catch up around here. I hate that I can only be a Weekend DISser anymore. I’m working 5 days a week like most of you and am picking up on-call shifts on the weekends when they are available. Surgeries, new cars, and cruises don’t pay for themselves…

Now, it’s YOUR turn:

What is your favorite pavilion in World Showcase and why?

And

If you could add another pavilion which country would you choose and why?

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying, Alison! I missed these last round of replies. :(

Scrapple is sort of what it sounds it's an acquired taste. Pork scraps with some cornmeal and buckwheat flour, made into a sort of patty.

Ooh, not at ALL what I thought! I was picturing more of a dessert, caramel corn mix with nuts or something!! LOL!

Good luck settling back in. I know it must be diffucult.

The first couple of weeks went fine. The first couple of DAYS were a bit tough, but it's getting better. I still have days of being sorer than others, but in general I can work and feel okay.

Wait! Is that even possible?

Hmmm, now that you mention it.
Are you sure? I'm not convinced.

Most definitely.
That's both ewww and funny at the same time.
I knew you were dreaming of being the 1000th, but sheesh!

I wouldn't be the first to have actually have done this.

You make it sound as if you were wearing a flannel and plastic outfit in FL or something.

Poor choice perhaps. But sure was fun!

Having met her, I see this...she seems to have that fun, playful spirit.

She is one of my more creative kiddos. They all have their fortes, but she's very imaginitive.

Glad to hear this. I had been wondering, but dis time still at a premium.

I can definitely relate to this. Not much extra time right now.

Good morning! Don't usually post ( shy?, lazy?) maybe both. But had to comment on your costume and photos They are fantastic!
Hello carejo!! I'm so, so terribly sorry for not replying sooner. My work weeks are just so very long and exhausting!!

But, HELLO and :welcome::welcome::welcome: It's wonderful you posted and I'm thrilled to have you here! Don't be shy!! You're always welcome to join in on the banter! I hope to see you again soon!

Thanks for the complements on our costumes. We had so much fun putting them together and getting photos in them!

Since meeting the dynamic duo two years ago I've been looking for them. I was excited to make the connection while hijacking your TR :upsidedow
Nah, the more chatter and banter the more fun hosting a thread is! Feel free to hijack anytime! It's actually very welcome here. :)

I really liked the Bo Peep poem. It also explained a few questions that popped into my head when I read @pkondz update from MNSSHP. I couldn't figure out why you weren't a cat...

2 different parties. :) Yep, I love them that much. ;)
DId Disney security have any problems with the shepherd's crook?

Not at all. They never questioned or anything. Others had long staffs with their jedi costumes, so maybe they are getting more lax?

Well, I'm glad to hear that you're at least feeling well enough to attempt to get back into the groove of things. I know it will be a lot of adjustment, and hopefully it goes well.

So far, it's an upward trend, 2 steps forward, 1 step back sort of thing.

Totally understand that! I've got faith in you though! I know it will all come back and you'll be back in the swing of things quickly.

It's coming along. There are days that are rougher than others still, but overall, I can work and be okay and sometimes come home sore and tired.

DW usually gets them some type of small candy gift. I usually get a small bouquet (like $5 at Walmart) for B.

Nice!! I always have good intentions and never follow through. :(

Your Bo Beep story was very well done. Did you plan the story ahead of time or did you wait until you saw your photos before you put it all together?The photos go really well with the story.

No, I didn't. Well, I guess sort of? The idea came to me for looking for me sheep, but had NO idea how I could pull it off when I started writing. Once I got rolling it just came together very nicely.

Your costume was amazing!

Thanks!! :D
Were your kids actually with you for this party?

No, they had to get back to home for the start of school and I stayed on an extra week. I love my solo time at Disney and I splurge on dinners and focus on photos and lazing by the pool.

This is a cute photo. Did you know this man?
LOL!! Yep, it's @pkondz from right here on the Boards. :) He's got a ton of really great TRs that are fun to read. MUCH better writing and photos than I could ever produce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!