ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

Maybe I’m different than the rest of humanity, but I would assert that every adventure in Disney should begin on Main Street.

I can understand that if you don't get there often, but when I go, I often have a mission in mind, so we are headed to a specific destination. But we often linger on Main Street when we leave.

I wasn't going commando (today), didn't lose my camera, didn't spill coffee down the front of me, or get flipped off just because.

Who are you????? :confused3 and what did you do with Liesa????

Main Street gave way to scenes of Old World Charm and whimsy

Wait? You didn't even go in Disneyana or Main Street Clothiers!

At least there is a Happy Place where everyone seems to get along. Clearly, humanity hasn't figured this pretty simple lesson out yet.

Clearly not. At least in this country.

If anyone can give me a tutorial on how to get video off of my iPhone and onto the DIS, I will buy you lunch should we ever meet up. No, really. I will.

Well I'm not exactly sure if this would work for iPhone, but I've done it with my android. Do you have a YouTube account? There is an Android app that allows you to upload directly to YouTube. Once your video is uploaded, you can just paste the link in your post.

Now, be truthful, has anyone else noticed the symbols on this clock? Took me a fair while to figure it out.... but.... well?? You tell me. ;)

The Roman numerals?

I have NO idea. I'm almost as old as you!

But much younger at heart, Miss I'm-learning-to-fly-and-going-to-Africa.

Well, yeah. (Ummm, what were we talking about? ;) )

No one knows. One of the mysteries of life.

Hmmm......

NO!

Scared?

You should be.

I think no? I looked back and could only see 4. But will again. Soon.

You mean I might be right????

:faint:

I'm glad she went and experienced it anyway! What a great thing for her to become good at and keep sharpening her skills. And I'm also (even more) glad that she lost with grace and poise. Good job!

I was incredibly proud of her for keeping her cool. My biggest fear was that she would have a giant meltdown in front of everyone, so I was so relieved when she held it together and was genuinely happy for her friend. It helps that he's a really nice kid, and she knew that it was his last year as a Senior, and she still has 2 more years. (The Masters age division is pretty much everyone from age 15 and up, so it is pretty tough on the first year Masters). She did qualify 2 years ago as a Junior, btw, so not her first experience. She loved being able to start a conversation with any of the other kids and instantly have something to talk about.

Food trucks are great! We have some local ones that have some really tasty food!

And these were some of the fancy ones that get featured on Food Network!

Oh I get this tude. I reallly do! My kids all went through it and they don't emerge until 21 or older. My oldest daughter actually wants to travel with me again, and my 22 year old hung out with me most of the day yesterday. it's extra nice when they "come back".

Oh, yeah. Although at home, she will sometimes talk my ear off. While simultaneously skyping with her friends, lol. But I understand her Pokemon talk better than her dad or brother. But away from home, forget it.

Maybe I’m different than the rest of humanity, but I would assert that every adventure in Disney should begin on Main Street.

Unless it's an EMH day.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Walt was very intentional about that being the natural beginning for a day of leaving the rat race of everyday life behind. No one put it quite as poignantly as he did:

Even if it's not true, I want to believe it.

Please, sit back, take a swig of your beverage, close your eyes, and imagine that buttery scent of artery-clogging Disney popcorn (go ahead, I'll wait).

Oh, all right.

You back?

Nope. Not even close.

I will explain in detail the Egg Hunt at the conclusion of the Disneyland chapters. K? Thanks. Meantime.... how many CAN you find in this chapter??

I counted 4.

I first came across "Tilly". Before you look at the picture, do you know whom (or actually what) I'm referencing?

:confused3

She is the resident Fortune Teller. For a mere $.25, Esmeralda will tell you your fortune; something probably frowned upon by Tilly's Marceline Methodist Mindset crowd of 1910. A contrast in characters? You be the judge; I found it interesting.

This could be a chapter in a book. "Catfight on Main St."

Now, be truthful, has anyone else noticed the symbols on this clock? Took me a fair while to figure it out.... but.... well?? You tell me. ;)

:confused3

I can understand that if you don't get there often, but when I go, I often have a mission in mind, so we are headed to a specific destination. But we often linger on Main Street when we leave.

I linger on the way out too, but I guess there's just so much to see, and most of it is so very overlooked and unappreciated. It's got tons of details just like everywhere else.

Who are you????? :confused3 and what did you do with Liesa????

:lmao:

Wait? You didn't even go in Disneyana or Main Street Clothiers!

Not this time. I had my fill of popping into shops earlier in the trip.

Clearly not. At least in this country.

As much as we see wrong with this issue here at home, I've seen far, FAR worse race relations in MOST of the other places I've traveled. Far more blatant and FAR more violent. Yes, we need to curb (eradicate) it here, but we actually have it pretty good here in relative terms. It's part of the human condition: selfish, prideful, and blinded.

Well I'm not exactly sure if this would work for iPhone, but I've done it with my android. Do you have a YouTube account? There is an Android app that allows you to upload directly to YouTube. Once your video is uploaded, you can just paste the link in your post.

Well there ya go! I will try that! Thanks, Alison!

The Roman numerals?

Yes, on the outside dial. The inside dial is another set of 12 symbols. ;)

But much younger at heart, Miss I'm-learning-to-fly-and-going-to-Africa.

Putting flying on hold for a while. I'll hopefully take my written exam sometime this winter and maybe start to fly in the spring. We'll see.

Scared?

You should be.

Of shoveling for hours? Yes.

You mean I might be right????

:faint:

Yes! ;)

Hey, just saw that link to this report in your other one. Am I first??!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Hey, at least I made it onto Andy's by page 3 without a PM. (@afwdwfan )

I was incredibly proud of her for keeping her cool. My biggest fear was that she would have a giant meltdown in front of everyone, so I was so relieved when she held it together and was genuinely happy for her friend. It helps that he's a really nice kid, and she knew that it was his last year as a Senior, and she still has 2 more years. (The Masters age division is pretty much everyone from age 15 and up, so it is pretty tough on the first year Masters). She did qualify 2 years ago as a Junior, btw, so not her first experience. She loved being able to start a conversation with any of the other kids and instantly have something to talk about.

We always wonder if our kids will make it out the other end of the terrible twos. Here is proof positive that they can and do!

So, it's kind of like all of us parent types here on the DIS.

:lmao:

And these were some of the fancy ones that get featured on Food Network!

YUM!!

Oh, yeah. Although at home, she will sometimes talk my ear off. While simultaneously skyping with her friends, lol. But I understand her Pokemon talk better than her dad or brother. But away from home, forget it.

Oh, this I soooooo get.

Unless it's an EMH day.

OH. Good point.

Even if it's not true, I want to believe it.

Walt would want it that way. ;)

Nope. Not even close.

Don't linger too long. CPR is pretty difficult in the virtual world.

This could be a chapter in a book. "Catfight on Main St."

:rotfl2:

Meow.

Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Tonight's the last class for Ground School. This by no means the end of this path in learning to fly. Nope! Really only the beginning! This is definitely one hobby that involves a lifetime of learning. I have a little mini exam tonight which will help me assess where I'm at in what I've learned/retained and will help to guide me in studying this Fall and Winter. My goal is to take the FAA written exam by February. Honestly, I had no idea how all-consuming coordinating this trip to Sierra Leone would be. But, today saw huge breakthroughs. Encouraged on that front!

My next update for this thread is written, but I won't be able to proof it or insert photos until Saturday.

Meantime, carry on! Make a difference and live big!

Steppe

Hang in there! I'm also experiencing all encompassing busyness, but not for nearly as noble of reasons as yourself. Hang in there! I saw some great breakthroughs that you announced on FB!

L is for:Lazy Looking and Lucky Encounters

Update after some excuse making paragraphs...

I apologize for the long delays between posts! When I was invited to travel to Sierra Leone, Africa, I had no idea I would become the main Team Leader and organizer for the work we’ll be doing. For those of you who don’t know, my daughter and I, both of us nurses, will be heading over there on November 21 to do some healthcare outreaches and seminars in both the capitol of Freetown and some outlying villages. Here at home I am spearheading a Care Kit Drive- packed Kits to hand out to school kids in villages and to hospital patients in the country’s only hospital. Here they are to give you an idea in case you're so inclined to participate:

21077728_1658035194208744_5123542201932121416_n%201.jpg

21032704_1658035210875409_2658365314269265023_n.jpg

21151396_1658035244208739_7598857758165545069_n.jpg

21077534_1658035267542070_4138851316630406022_n.jpg

They are expecting an overwhelming outbreak of cholera due to the recent flooding and over 800 deaths from horrific landslides. We may end up helping in the hospital while we are there as well.

In addition, we are developing 5 seminars focusing on healthcare topics such as how to purify water using low-tech methods, hand hygiene, STI prevention, prenatal and infant care and basic first aid. Originally, our thought was to conduct vaccination clinics, but we ran into insurmountable roadblocks in finding a source for those immunizations to take. Apparently, after speaking with multiple MDs who also work in Africa, the entire continent is devoid of them. While my heart breaks over this, is also makes me indescribably angry that a humanitarian/healthcare hole of this magnitude can exist on 21st Century Earth. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but ummm…. This is beginning to smack of something very… odd.

Anyhow, my life is in a season of being quite busy getting ready. The DIS has had to take a backseat, as has pursuing my pilot’s license, for a time. I leave for WDW on November 11th for a week of solo R&R before heading directly to Sierra Leone out of DC on the 21st. If you are the praying type, our team of 4 could certainly use as many as we can get. If you are inclined to pack up a Care Kit, or 2, or 5, or 10, please PM RIGHT AWAY as our cargo container of supplies is leaving DC on Sept. 20th. Our goal is 1,000 kits! Now, back to our tour of Disneyland!

First off, your humble authoress is pretty darned stoked! I learned how, thanks to @franandaj 's help!, to upload video so you can see all the lovely music clips I got. Huzzah! I is smart!

Main Street and Fantasyland properly explored and new Disneyesque details discovered, I saw fit to continue my trek from Land to Land. My semi-orderly meanderings found me in the most tranquil and nostalgia-inducing spots in Disneyland for me personally. Many of you know I grew up in SoCal and spent quite a lot of childhood days in Old Town San Diego and at our local Ramona Bowl in Hemet. Both are heavily infused with Spanish influence and décor, much like this little area tucked quietly between Fantasyland and Frontierland. Connected by this charming little alley with exquisite tilework and wrought iron light fixtures, I lingered. A long time. I tried, in vain, to get a good shot of the length of it, but failed.

IMG_0005_1.jpg

So, I turned my focus to the details and got these: (I’m a macro-girl at heart. No these aren’t macro, but still closer up.)

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Upon exiting the alleyway, there is a seamless transition and mixing of Old World Spanish to New World Wild West. It works.

IMG_0013-2.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_0017-2.jpg

Eventually, I moseyed far enough through Frontierland under the warm summer sun, and found myself once more mesmerized by live music. I was a little disappointed that the Dixieland Jazz wasn’t performing by the Mint Julep Place, but there were enough other groups that I was happy. (No live clip of this one.)

IMG_0023.jpg

Further on, I was in search of yet more Easter Eggs. Remember, this was the secondary goal of the day – take lots of photos and… find all 12 eggs for each hunt. With my trusty map in hand, I was directed next to Splash Mountain. I both, found the egg (hardest one of the bunch) and actually did ride the ride. I only know and remember now because I took a picture of the ride photo. It was unremarkable so didn’t include it.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0042-2.jpg

One of Pooh's Corner (it's just too cute!):

IMG_0038.jpg

Coming out of that area, I happened to notice a series of “coming attraction” posters that caught my attention. I was quite pleased that they are going to include a little piece from my neck of the woods- the Columbia River. The river, which runs through the Columbia River Gorge is quite impressive. The Gorge itself is home to dozens of year-round waterfalls and several large dams which are open for tours all year. Want salmon? Come and get it. Steelhead? Sturgeon? Got that too. Anyway, glad the new area will feature it.

IMG_0043-2.jpg

Eventually, my map and my feet, which were now feeling the morning’s journey, took me to NOS- my favorite area of the entire park. The iron filigree draws my eyes upwards, and the jazzy BGM makes my heart beat in a zydeco rhythm. I took my time here. It was worth it. Can you taste the beignets? Are you now hungry for a big dish of pommes frites? Too bad. I wanted some too, but the wait to get into Café Orleans was 45 minutes. No thanks. Eggs to find, music to listen to, tummy to feeeeeeeeed! But that had to wait….

IMG_0044-2.jpg

IMG_0046-2.jpg

My old stomping grounds:

IMG_0047-2.jpg

IMG_0048-2.jpg

IMG_0049-2.jpg

Reluctantly, it was time to return to the pursuit of the day and time to begin the sad trek out of Disneyland for the last time of this trip. I wasn’t as sad as in past trips when I didn’t know when or if I’d ever be able to return. But, now with a steady income, I have a good feeling this was just the beginning of many trips. My pathway out was not devoid of a few more interesting sights. Let’s see what Steppe could find…

I spy with my little eye… Donald Ducky way up high!

IMG_0050-2.jpg

And then a little further on, I had the opportunity to make someone happy. Pkondz’s daughter, Kay, was dying to meet Gaston, and he proved to be very elusive on most days. I think the day before this, she got a quick photo op with him, but this was too good to pass up. He was strutting by and I approached and asked him to show me his muscles. He got more giddy than a DISDad at a BBQ. Later that night, which I’ll get to, I wasn’t sure who ended up being more giddy, he or Kay when I gave it to her.

IMG_0067-2.jpg

But, as if that wasn’t enough to top off my morning of Disneyland photo touring, I was next treated to my favorite in-park solo moment of the trip. Back on Main Street, just as I was about to cross the last street before the tunnels, I turned around just in time to have my favorite Disneyland group enter my view- the Dapper Dans. Not only were they singing, they were singing ON the trolley. They were taking the trolley up and down Main Street singing turn-of-the-century-style tunes for anyone who cared to board. PICK ME! PICK ME! I did a double quick U-turn and boarded on with a grin as big as Gaston’s ego and settled in for some en pointe harmony. I defy you to find another group anywhere else on earth that gives as tight a performance as these guys.... even on a trolley and with horse poo wafting up their noses. I rode it up and back because apparently there are very few people who seem to enjoy Barbershop anymore. Such a shame that true musical talent has been so lost on so many. Maybe they mistake auto-tuning for skill…

There was no way to have ended my morning in Disneyland better. With nothing more that could possibly top that, I turned toward the tunnels and set out towards my next adventures.

From the last update...

Last edited:
Alrighty Ladies and Gents:

I have 3 days off work now, and in between more Africa Prep, I will be slowly catching up on all of your threads and replies here and on my other thread as well. Time for a screwdriver and a home-cooked burger!!!

I'm not surprised... you have your hands full!

Yes. I do. But still finding time to get to replies today. Happy about that!

And the cold. Don't forget the cold....

Unless... You're a fan?

:rolleyes1

Not a fan. And being that 60 is "cold", I think I'll stay put.

I am having a wicked case of deja vu here.

I wish I could offer an antidote, but well, since I have 2 TRs going, brace yourself for more of this affliction.

Hang in there! I'm also experiencing all encompassing busyness, but not for nearly as noble of reasons as yourself. Hang in there! I saw some great breakthroughs that you announced on FB!

And now you have 5 new bundles of joy to keep you busy too! Yes, some breakthroughs, and yet, ending in a disappointment afterall. sigh.....

I apologize for the long delays between posts!
Yeah, as if I can keep up with fast updates.

Anyhow, my life is in a season of being quite busy getting ready. The DIS has had to take a backseat, as has pursuing my pilot’s license, for a time. I leave for WDW on November 11th for a week of solo R&R before heading directly to Sierra Leone out of DC on the 21st. If you are the praying type, our team of 4 could certainly use as many as we can get. If you are inclined to pack up a Care Kit, or 2, or 5, or 10, please PM RIGHT AWAY as our cargo container of supplies is leaving DC on Sept. 20th. Our goal is 1,000 kits! Now, back to our tour of Disneyland!
Wow, it's coming up fast. Good luck!

I both, found the egg (hardest one of the bunch) and actually did ride the ride.
It's in an open window... doesn't look that hard!

the Dapper Dans. Not only were they singing, they were singing ON the trolley. They were taking the trolley up and down Main Street singing turn-of-the-century-style tunes for anyone who cared to board. PICK ME! PICK ME! I did a double quick U-turn and boarded on with a grin as big as Gaston’s ego and settled in for some en pointe harmony. I defy you to find another group anywhere else on earth that gives as tight a performance as these guys.... even on a trolley and with horse poo wafting up their noses. I rode it up and back because apparently there are very few people who seem to enjoy Barbershop anymore.
Awesome! I'm glad you got to cap off your morning this way!

Wow, team leader aye? My wife and I both end up in similar positions when we jump on board a volunteer project. We start asking questions and after a while we get "elected" as the leader because we know the questions to ask and how to move the project forward. Good luck over there - hope you are able to do some good and come back no worse for wear!

My how quickly the Disney adventures come to an end. I love the little details you captured while you strolled around Frontierland and New Orleans Square. I hope to be able to slow down and take in just those kinds of things.

Such a great bonus to end with the Dapper Dans on the trolley, what a unique experience. I always take the time to stop and enjoy all of the music DL and CA have to offer. It so adds to the atmosphere of the parks.

Now off to play catch-up on my PTR - thanks much for stopping by it! I too have been neglecting moving forward with updates :teeth:

Wow, team leader aye? My wife and I both end up in similar positions when we jump on board a volunteer project. We start asking questions and after a while we get "elected" as the leader because we know the questions to ask and how to move the project forward. Good luck over there - hope you are able to do some good and come back no worse for wear!

My how quickly the Disney adventures come to an end. I love the little details you captured while you strolled around Frontierland and New Orleans Square. I hope to be able to slow down and take in just those kinds of things.

Such a great bonus to end with the Dapper Dans on the trolley, what a unique experience. I always take the time to stop and enjoy all of the music DL and CA have to offer. It so adds to the atmosphere of the parks.

Now off to play catch-up on my PTR - thanks much for stopping by it! I too have been neglecting moving forward with updates :teeth:

Thanks, Kind Sir! Yes, it's been at times quite overwhelming to put together an international medical team, but major progress today and feeling good with where we're at.

Oh, that is by no means the end of my day! That was the first installment... still have DCA and DTD to go. :) LOTS more eggs to find and a nice evening meal to end with. :)

Yeah, as if I can keep up with fast updates.

Neither can I. Frustrating, but reality.

Wow, it's coming up fast. Good luck!

Almost too fast. EEK! I JUST today made some headway onto securing the truckload of donated med supplies I've been working at for MONTHS. Applied for our visas today too.

It's in an open window... doesn't look that hard!

Finding that open window took some work. I had no idea how many surfaces they could put an egg on until I started looking! That attraction is BIG!

Awesome! I'm glad you got to cap off your morning this way!

Me too... next I move over to DCA. More fun stuffs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!