The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

For me, it's photos (plural). I like both of the ones above and they're my favorites for different reasons.
The tortise, just because I've never seen a turtle or tortoise do that and it looks cool.
The flowers because when I first saw them, I thought it was butterflies and the stamens were antennae. I thought it was gorgeous and that's not a term I often use.

I hadn't either! It's like he's all snuggled up. LOL!

And thanks! I did quite a few macros this trip and some turned out pretty nice. :) I really enjoy the botanical side of Disney! Especially in the new pandora area!

Nope, never have. Nope again. Since I'm not much of a photographer as evidenced by my TR, I don't look for details as much. Not sure if it's never sparked my interest or I just don't have an eye for it.

I do think some enjoy Disney on a larger scale which all the details seem to make a cohesive whole, but others enjoy the details. Either way, Disney is a great place for both!

You mentioned one of mine. Walking behind someone and they just come to a dead stop. People who cut you off mid stride. It's as if some folks don't even care there's other people around, where they're going is more important than the 20+ people they cut off to get there. People walking slowly and 5 or 6 abreast. I'm usually pretty proficient at weaving through the crowds, but these drive me nuts. Another one doesn't affect me directly and I can't see how the bus drivers don't go postal...people cutting in front of the bus and then slamming on their brakes. Oh, I guess it's similar to walking pet peeves listed above. Parents not being parents. I get you're on vacation, but don't just let your kids do any and everything especially when it negatively impacts someone's (or many someones) vacation. MDE - If the problem with people glued to their phones and not watching what they're doing or other people they're impacting wasn't bad enough already, Disney made it worse with MDE since you can't do much of anything without it. Okay, I listed several...I guess in a summary, the common thread -- my biggest is inconsiderate people.

Yes! To all of that. And I see a lot of places parents seem to be tuned out. Kids climbing on tables, being WAY too loud for a given situation, etc... Yes, kids should be kids, but also supervised.

OH no!!! How horrible and horribly painful! Is she being hospitalized? I'd imagine it's immobilized but... pain meds? Certainly will do!

Thanks! No, sent her home. UGH!! Pain meds, but the way the pastor talked today, not immobilized. Someone went to stay with her while he came & preached. I guess they figure not much more she can do to it since they are going to replace it. I can't imagine the pain she has to be in.

Kim

Thanks! No, sent her home. UGH!! Pain meds, but the way the pastor talked today, not immobilized. Someone went to stay with her while he came & preached. I guess they figure not much more she can do to it since they are going to replace it. I can't imagine the pain she has to be in.

Kim
It must be excruciating and she is probably anxious and frustrated as well. Keep us posted, Kim!

On this particular trip to WDW, however, I’d have to say that Africa won out, if only for the fact that it alone was decorated for Christmas

Interesting - my West Africa trip was over Christmas, and I don't remember seeing any Christmas decorations whatsoever!

And - that was my only quote. Oops!

Keeping Zach in my thoughts for his surgery...

And going back a little -

Will say, not getting sick often seems to be a useful thing for living in the areas you have lived in! Sorry your traveling days were so rough - none of mine were nearly that grueling. Not being part of a large group trying to accomplish stuff probably made it easier for me. I don't remember ever going hungry, either. I did see plenty of thatched roof huts, however, and stayed in one.

Thank you for the Abu update, even though they couldn't save his eye.

And yes, your camera seems to have many adventures without you!

Interesting - my West Africa trip was over Christmas, and I don't remember seeing any Christmas decorations whatsoever!

And - that was my only quote. Oops!

Keeping Zach in my thoughts for his surgery...

And going back a little -

Will say, not getting sick often seems to be a useful thing for living in the areas you have lived in! Sorry your traveling days were so rough - none of mine were nearly that grueling. Not being part of a large group trying to accomplish stuff probably made it easier for me. I don't remember ever going hungry, either. I did see plenty of thatched roof huts, however, and stayed in one.

Thank you for the Abu update, even though they couldn't save his eye.

And yes, your camera seems to have many adventures without you!

Oh! The Christmas decorations were the ones in the Disney Africa area. :) although we did see a few in Sierra Leone as well. :)

Thank you! He’ll be getting his procedure done in just a few hours. :)

I wish it’d been a less strenuous trip and there been more time to sightsee. But we did get some useful things done. A little jelly you got to stay in a hut. It may have been more comfy than the bedroom we did stay in. ;)

I have a new photo of Abu that I’ll post after I get home. :)

Oh! The Christmas decorations were the ones in the Disney Africa area. :) although we did see a few in Sierra Leone as well. :)
I figured that was what you meant. Somehow I was forgetting that it was also Christmas season when you were actually in Africa, lol!

A little jelly you got to stay in a hut. It may have been more comfy than the bedroom we did stay in. ;)

I suspect it was! Yes, I was a lot younger at the time, but I don't remember being uncomfortable. Plus, I was just staying with my then-bf, not a whole group of people crowding together.

But, but..... we'll miss you!

If you mean... with a car... then, good.

Well, maybe I'm not giving Disney enough credit. If any company can pull off fantasy/alien/sci-fi and Christmas, it's Disney.

::yes::

Thanks! I'm a bit smitten with the light fixtures at Disney, but especially this park.

I like them there too. Don't always notice 'em though.

I found them on the little walkway between Pandora and the Lion King show. An area I've never been before.

Ah! Okay, got it.

Too true. Good at decorating AND sucking every wallet dry within 20 miles.

Considering WDW is 40 square miles... if you're in the center, that would just about cover it!

Thanks! I like how they used recycled stuff in them- bottle caps, cans, etc...

::yes::

I have too, but like you, try to be considerate, apologize profusely and move to the side.

Yup. It happens. But at least you have sense to realize what you just did and get out of the way.

What? Not appealing?

:lmao:

Yes. 6 hours. The FoP queue wass 360 solid minutes and stretched alllll the way almost to Africa.

:faint:

Wakey, wakey!

No! (Rolls over. Goes back to sleep.)

He's a trusty friend. Or is that crusty?

Well in Oregon it's legal to get baked, so...

Keep at it. Just meant to be fun, though.

Gotta keep ahead of Alison!

The garlands all hung on the buildings so fair,
In hopes that the guests would spend all their cash there.

Baha! :rotfl:

I stopped center walkway, “Oh what is the matter?” (Not really, that’s super rude!)

Thank you!! I get a wee bit frustrated when groups stop in the middle of the path. The edge, out of the way, was only 5 steps to your right, but you chose to stop here instead and then nearly clothesline me behind you as you whipped out your phone or park map. Ugh.

the (fake) baobob

I believe the preferred term is "Disney-real." :rotfl2:

Storytime: when we were on our Wild Africa Trek, the guide asked us whether we thought the baobob was real or Disney-real. I knew, but Nathan was convinced that it was a real tree. He felt a little silly when the guide told him that it would have to be around a thousand years old to be a real baobob and look like that! :laughing: But they did a nice job integrating the real landscaping with the invented stuff here I find! :goodvibes

Come Bobby, Come Larry, Come, Harry, and Sue,
Run, Doofus, Run, Dander, it’s StillJustAZoo!

Wow. I don't know how you can tell them apart. :confused3

IMG_5823-L.jpg

Wow! :goodvibes I love this shot, Liesa! Nice job!

1) Language lessons with Steppe: What does Kwaherini mean?

2) What’s your personal favorite photo from this update and why?

3) Honest now? Have you ever noticed the balloon ride mural? How about the Africa entrance ‘gates’ on that side?

4) I mentioned two of my pet peeves up there. What is your biggest pet peeve at Disney?

I don't think I've got enough time on my hands or brain space to go all in on the contest, but I think I'll at least do my best to answer a few questions here and there...

1) Go well! It's a farewell. Or if you're a Disney CM, it means, "Get the heck outta' my truck."

2) The tortoise. Because he looks as warm, and snuggly, and carefree as I'd like to be. As a stressed student in the grossness that is residual winter, this is the dream!

3) Nope, I hadn't! I love the theming at AK, but there's still so much I haven't noticed. Reminding myself to stop and look more often on the next trip.

4) Um, see comment above about people who stop in the middle of the path! :laughing:

Biggest one is people who take flash photos on dark rides. But I also can't stand it when people flaunt that they know a ride/Disney so well in such an obnoxious way as to take away from the experience for people around them. Like the group of people who stood beside us in the stretching room and belted out, word for word, the whole ghost spiel in tandem with him. It's all anyone could pay attention to, and if that were my first time riding the attraction it would have been so frustrating. It still was, really. OH, and also adults who are inappropriate with characters, or who try to make them break character, or say things about whether they're "real," etc. There could be kids around who see/hear those things and have the magic ruined for them. For that matter, I am around, and I like to be a kid and play along with the magic as much as the next guy, and I don't want you ruining that either!

If anyone has an inkling to pray, think positive thoughts, or send good vibes, my 19 year old, Zach, is having a procedure done under general anesthesia on Monday afternoon where I work as a recovery nurse. If I’ve learned anything doing this job, it’s: no surgery is “routine”.

I'm only seeing this now, but I hope everything went well! Praying for a safe and speedy recovery for Zach!

4) I mentioned two of my pet peeves up there. What is your biggest pet peeve at Disney?

AND ALSO! People who feel that because they paid dearly for their Disney vacation that they are entitled to special treatment, or that everything has to go perfectly to justify what they had to save/pay to be there. I get that Disney is expensive and you want it to be magical. But everyone else also paid a lot to be there, and you don't see everyone in the park trying to have the rules bent for them.

ALLLLSSSOOO! Rudeness toward CMs who are just trying to do their jobs!!!

I feel like this is just scratching the surface. I could do this ALL NIGHT! :laughing:

...hmmmm, it seems I may have some unresolved Disney-anger issues here boiling below the surface... :scared:

I would like to comment, I really would.

But I was napping the whole time. Except during breakfast. It was delicious.

:sad2:
I figured that was what you meant. Somehow I was forgetting that it was also Christmas season when you were actually in Africa, lol!

Hehe! Christmas was a nice to go. I wasn't sure I"d like it and thought the crowds would be out of control, but they weren't too bad. But, my next will be in October again, for F&W. ;)

I suspect it was! Yes, I was a lot younger at the time, but I don't remember being uncomfortable. Plus, I was just staying with my then-bf, not a whole group of people crowding together.

Oh boy, yes. Younger. Once upon a time I could sleep anywhere, anytime. Not so much now. And yes, just like with a Disney trip, a big crowd makes logistics harder in general.

If you mean... with a car... then, good.

I'm either tired or naive. Both render me confused here.

I like them there too. Don't always notice 'em though.

Next time you see one, maybe you'll remember this thread. ;)

Considering WDW is 40 square miles... if you're in the center, that would just about cover it!

WAIT! Did I just luck out on a math problem. Oh! If only I can have that kind of luck on May 7th! ;)

Yup. It happens. But at least you have sense to realize what you just did and get out of the way.

Well, you only need to get strollered in the ankle once to make a change.

;)

No! (Rolls over. Goes back to sleep.)

HEY!!! Get out of bed lazy bones! You're at Disney!

Well in Oregon it's legal to get baked, so...

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I'm either tired or naive. Both render me confused here.

You said you'd miss me. I'd like to get missed if you're driving a car. Don't relish getting run over.

Or ketchuped. Or mustarded.

Next time you see one, maybe you'll remember this thread. ;)

I just might! :)

WAIT! Did I just luck out on a math problem. Oh! If only I can have that kind of luck on May 7th! ;)

:laughing: I'm positive you'll do just fine!

Well, you only need to get strollered in the ankle once to make a change.

Ouch! Yes, that would do it all right.

HEY!!! Get out of bed lazy bones! You're at Disney!

Whoops! I'm up! I'm up!

Thank you!! I get a wee bit frustrated when groups stop in the middle of the path. The edge, out of the way, was only 5 steps to your right, but you chose to stop here instead and then nearly clothesline me behind you as you whipped out your phone or park map. Ugh.

That's what strollers are made for. <oops! Sorry about that achilles of yours...>

I believe the preferred term is "Disney-real." :rotfl2:

:rotfl:I'd not heard that one yet. I like it!

Storytime: when we were on our Wild Africa Trek, the guide asked us whether we thought the baobob was real or Disney-real. I knew, but Nathan was convinced that it was a real tree. He felt a little silly when the guide told him that it would have to be around a thousand years old to be a real baobob and look like that! :laughing: But they did a nice job integrating the real landscaping with the invented stuff here I find! :goodvibes

I knew it was NOT real, but didn't know it'd have to be that old to be that big. Cool factoid!

Wow. I don't know how you can tell them apart. :confused3

They all had their mating halk on. ;) (Different places.)

Wow! :goodvibes I love this shot, Liesa! Nice job!

Thanks. :)

I don't think I've got enough time on my hands or brain space to go all in on the contest, but I think I'll at least do my best to answer a few questions here and there...

1) Go well! It's a farewell. Or if you're a Disney CM, it means, "Get the heck outta' my truck."

2) The tortoise. Because he looks as warm, and snuggly, and carefree as I'd like to be. As a stressed student in the grossness that is residual winter, this is the dream!

3) Nope, I hadn't! I love the theming at AK, but there's still so much I haven't noticed. Reminding myself to stop and look more often on the next trip.

4) Um, see comment above about people who stop in the middle of the path! :laughing:

Biggest one is people who take flash photos on dark rides. But I also can't stand it when people flaunt that they know a ride/Disney so well in such an obnoxious way as to take away from the experience for people around them. Like the group of people who stood beside us in the stretching room and belted out, word for word, the whole ghost spiel in tandem with him. It's all anyone could pay attention to, and if that were my first time riding the attraction it would have been so frustrating. It still was, really. OH, and also adults who are inappropriate with characters, or who try to make them break character, or say things about whether they're "real," etc. There could be kids around who see/hear those things and have the magic ruined for them. For that matter, I am around, and I like to be a kid and play along with the magic as much as the next guy, and I don't want you ruining that either!

All noted and yes, SUPER huge of mine as well is flashing on dark rides! SO RUDE!!!!

I'm only seeing this now, but I hope everything went well! Praying for a safe and speedy recovery for Zach!

Thanks! He doing well this morning said he was only woken up once during the night with pain.

AND ALSO! People who feel that because they paid dearly for their Disney vacation that they are entitled to special treatment, or that everything has to go perfectly to justify what they had to save/pay to be there. I get that Disney is expensive and you want it to be magical. But everyone else also paid a lot to be there, and you don't see everyone in the park trying to have the rules bent for them.

ALLLLSSSOOO! Rudeness toward CMs who are just trying to do their jobs!!!

I feel like this is just scratching the surface. I could do this ALL NIGHT! :laughing:

...hmmmm, it seems I may have some unresolved Disney-anger issues here boiling below the surface... :scared:
You are on a ROLL Gurl! LOL!! I totally get the entitlement thing. I think it's a younger generation thing. ? Maybe? Totally a generalization, but that's where I see it most around here.

That's what strollers are made for. <oops! Sorry about that achilles of yours...>

:laughing:

I knew it was NOT real, but didn't know it'd have to be that old to be that big. Cool factoid!

I thought so! :goodvibes

Thanks! He doing well this morning said he was only woken up once during the night with pain.

That's good news!

You are on a ROLL Gurl! LOL!! I totally get the entitlement thing. I think it's a younger generation thing. ? Maybe? Totally a generalization, but that's where I see it most around here.

Interesting!! If I had to visualize who I see doing this, it was a middle-aged white woman named Linda who "wants to speak to your manager!", or an older grandmother-matriarch who demands the best for her grandkids, etc. Perhaps I have some inherent biases I need to come to terms with!

Interesting!! If I had to visualize who I see doing this, it was a middle-aged white woman named Linda who "wants to speak to your manager!", or an older grandmother-matriarch who demands the best for her grandkids, etc. Perhaps I have some inherent biases I need to come to terms with!

Now that is fascinating!

1) Language lessons with Steppe: What does Kwaherini mean?

farewell

2) What’s your personal favorite photo from this update and why?

the blue flowers impersonating insects/butterflys....beautiful!

3) Honest now? Have you ever noticed the balloon ride mural? How about the Africa entrance ‘gates’ on that side?

mural nope - "gates" - yep

as a scooter user it annoys me when people block the ramps on the sidewalk. There is basically only 3 feet of sidewalk that I can use to get down, why choose that particular spot to stand and read your map, re-apply sunscreen, look at me blankly when I ask if I can get through (no, I can't jump the curb)

Will PM the others later

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!