The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

I don't think that would qualify as playing the jet lag card. I'm surprised you found the time or energy to post yet. I was expecting later this week.

The energy is lacking. But slowly getting there.

Sorry you got sick and hope you feel better (and rested) soon.

I am improving in infinitesimal increments. Tenacious bugs these are!

But we expect it NOW (if not sooner). ;)
Sorry, I slipped into what our customers and bosses always seem to want mode there for a bit...forgive me.

You sound just like a few patients I've had now and then. I think every profession comes across the entitled lot.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before! My college boyfriend joined the Peace Corps the same year I was in Versailles for my study abroad year. (He was 2 years older). I visited him in The Gambia over my winter break, since it wasn't that far (comparatively) to fly from France via Senegal, then jitney cab to The Gambia. He did meet me in Dakar, Senegal, so I didn't have to do much on my own. One of the first challenges was getting out of the airport - since I was meeting him there, and he was in charge of getting our hotel for the night, I didn't have a hotel name to give to passport control/customs when I arrived, and I had to tell them the whole story and convince them that I really did have a place to stay even though I didn't know a name of a hotel! All in French, no less! So, we spent one night in Dakar, then took a jitney cab to Banjul, The Gambia, and stayed at the Peace Corps building for a few days. Then, we took a bus to the small town where he was living (teaching math and English). He had a 3 room house that was basically 2 huts connected with a rectangle - no electricity or running water. Walk to the well to get water. The local women laughed at my efforts to wash my clothes by hand - I was not very successful! It was definitely an adventure...
This sounds very similar to what we experienced as well, indeed. Maybe this TR will bring back some memories for you!! We were lucky enough to have local helping us all along the way; sounded like you had to struggle a bit more.

Glad you are home safe & can't wait to read about your adventures!!

Kim

Thanks, Kim! Taking far longer than I thought it would to bounce back and truthfully, I'm frustrated by that. Meantime, yes, I"m grateful to be safe and sound home. :)

I am lucky that in my job, we get full pay if we have jury duty and keep the money they pay us as well. We just have to bring in the a slip from the court that says what days we had to be there.

Kim

I think if it'd gone to trial I'd have gotten some compensation. Instead I got just enough for 2 lattes. ;) I should have told them I'd taken the day off work and they should pay me lost wages.

So glad you made it home safely even if a "little" worn out. The effort and work you put into this trip, well, you deserve a bit of rest! I wish I had the power to grant it to you.

YOU ARE AN AMAZING LADY AND WHAT YOU DO FOR OTHERS IS BEYOND AMAZING!

I'll get there, Lady. May take a spell, but I will recover. Hopefully this weekend since I REALLY need to get some decorating done for hosting Christmas for the extended family.

Having now gotten up to speed on all things Steppe related, I must first offer my congratulations on getting back to Disney. And then, I must offer an even bigger congrats on living out your dream of visiting Africa. That is really an awesome story and I know some really amazing things are going to come out of it. I can't wait to see all of the photos that you bring back! I have a feeling this will be one of those life events that you always look back on. Excited to see where your adventures take you!

Well, howdy Friend!!! It's been faaaaaar too long since we've seen you here! I know those precious girls of yours are keeping you very busy as I'm sure work and the production stuff is as well! It was a perfectly interesting trip riddled with the usual amounts of frustration, wonderment, curiosity, learning and excitement that all overseas trips have. Ours was certainly no different.

Just to be certain, I wasn't talking about your pictures Liesa.

I figured. I think GB has been away for longer than the PB bologna has been going on. What a frustrating fiasco!

Dear Friends,

I know I've been MIA for too long. It took me FAR longer to re-acclimate than I thought, get over jet lag, jump back into working, do my laundry, and take care of a thousand other things...not the least of which was to wait for and welcome my first grandbaby into the world. I've also been very busy with something that is very close to my heart and taking up a lot of my emotional energy right now. I am burdened for what I'm about to share...

I realize this update is “out of order”, but, because of its urgent nature, I decided to post this now. Please be advised that there will be some graphic and possibly disturbing photos included.

I have been back now from Sierra Leone for a little over a week, but have not stopped thinking about Africa. Specifically, a little boy we “Providentially” met in our travels. Meet Abu.

upload_2017-12-12_10-19-3.png

I have delayed writing this because I felt I needed some answers and concrete information to include before doing so. But the need is now extremely urgent.

In a village we hadn’t planned on stopping in to deliver supplies, our car broke down and we had some extra time to mingle with the villagers. With tears in his eyes, Abu’s father brought a little boy to us asking, “Is there anything you can do for my son?” I was shocked at what I saw- a handsome young 8-year old with a softball-sized tumor on his neck, another under his right eye. I knew immediately that God had brought us to that place, for the purpose of, meeting this little boy. I told his father that there was no "medication" at the village clinic that was going to help him and he needed to go to the city for an "operation". They don't know where their next meal is coming from, let alone money to travel to the city. But I knew that if people came together we could literally save his life. His eye is now swollen shut and there is fear it will damage his hearing or enter the spinal column.

upload_2017-12-12_10-20-7.png

upload_2017-12-12_10-19-31.png

Our team in Freetown made a plan to transport him the next week to the city to be seen by our NGOs consulting doctor, and an immediate stopgap donation was given to do that. The doctor said he needs immediate surgery to save his life as this is a fast-growing tumor that began a year ago when a friend scratched him on the neck. The CT Scan will give us more answers as to the type of tumors we are dealing with. In addition, blood tests showed that he is positive for Typhoid, Malaria and anemia.

Since returning, I’ve spoken with doctors from my work at the surgical center, but so far, no news on whether or not they will look at his case. Meantime, the team in Freetown have contacted a teaching hospital in Ghana who is willing to receive him and give treatment and/or surgery. At this time, this seems to be the best option for him, as it’s less travel for him, and the less expensive option.

The ongoing expenses to keep him and his father in the capital city in the hospital while he awaits transport to Ghana is about $80/day, the ticket to Ghana is $850, and we are awaiting word back from the hospital for the costs that will be associated with his care there. The CT scan in Freetown is $560, and the frequent bandaging changes are running about $10/day. ALL supplies including bedding, food, washcloths, etc…. must be supplied by family or friends.

If you feel led to give towards saving this little boy’s life- quite literally- PLEASE PM ME as soon as possible. His treatment is in hiatus until they at least have the money for the CT Scan. I truly believe that Rebekah and I were led to that village for the Purpose of getting help for Abu.

Trying to do what it right,
Steppe

not the least of which was to wait for and welcome my first grandbaby into the world.

I've said it on FB, but I'll say it again. Congratulations, Grandma!

I've also been very busy with something that is very close to my heart and taking up a lot of my emotional energy right now.

:hug:

With tears in his eyes, Abu’s father brought a little boy to us asking, “Is there anything you can do for my son?”

Oh, man.... I can relate... but not to that extent. I can't really imagine what that father is going through.

His eye is now swollen shut and there is fear it will damage his hearing or enter the spinal column.

Oh, crap...

The doctor said he needs immediate surgery to save his life as this is a fast-growing tumor that began a year ago when a friend scratched him on the neck.

Holy smokes! That's possible?????

In addition, blood tests showed that he is positive for Typhoid, Malaria and anemia.

Oh, man. That poor kid. :(

PLEASE PM ME as soon as possible.

On the way.

is for: Dapper Dapper DO!

Not all of us are created to enjoy the same things. I’m well aware that I’m in the sound minority of those who like to gussy up on occasion and fancy it up for fun. And that’s ok! I was in good company on this particular day- the 18th of November, to be exact, and had a marvelous time strolling along Pollyanna Avenue… best foot forward. Care to saunter with me?

As organized as I am, it is inevitable that something is always forgotten. Occasionally it has been underwear. Since my dress was sheer, I was glad it wasn't that this time. I did, however, find out what that was after the hose, the heels, the fascinator were all properly placed. (Don’t worry! I didn’t know what a “fascinator” is either until I began my preparations for Dapper Day, 2017. Here’s what I found:

"In the 19th century, a fascinator was a lightweight hood or scarf worn about the head and tied under the chin, typically knitted or crocheted.[1] It was made from soft, lightweight yarns and may originally have been called a "cloud."[2] The "cloud" is described in 1870 as being "a light scarf of fine knitting over the head and round the neck, [worn] instead of an opera hood when going out at night."[3] The fascinator went out of fashion in the 1930s, by which time it described a lacy hood similar to a "fussy balaclava."[4]

The use of the term "fascinator" to describe a particular form of late 20th- and early 21st-century millinery emerged towards the end of the late 20th century, possibly as a term for 1990s designs inspired by the small 1960s cocktail hats designed to perch upon the highly coiffed hairstyles of the period.[4] Although they did not give the style its name, the milliners Stephen Jones and Philip Treacy are credited with having popularised and established fascinators.[4]

Drawing of Princess Beatrice's fascinator by Philip Treacy
Today, a fascinator may be worn instead of a hat on occasions where hats were traditionally worn—such as weddings—or as an evening accessory, when it may be called a cocktail hat. It is generally worn with fairly formal attire.

A substantial fascinator is a fascinator of some size or bulk. Bigger than a barrette, modern fascinators are commonly made with feathers, flowers or beads.[5] They need to be attached to the hair by a comb, headband or clip. They are particularly popular at premium horse-racing events, such as the Grand National, Kentucky Derby and the Melbourne Cup. Brides may choose to wear them as an alternative to a bridal veil or hat, particularly if their gowns are non-traditional.

At the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton in April 2011, various female guests arrived wearing fascinators. Among them was Princess Beatrice of York, who wore a piece designed by the Irish milliner Philip Treacy. The unusual shape and colour caused quite a media stir and went on to become an internet phenomenon with its own Facebookpage.[6][7][8] Princess Beatrice used the publicity to auction it off on eBay, where it garnered 99,000 euros for charity.[9][10]

In 2012 Royal Ascot announced that women will have to wear hats, not fascinators, as part of a tightening of the dress code in Royal Ascot's Royal Enclosure.[11] In previous years female racegoers were simply advised that "many ladies wear hats."[12]

Now you know. You’re welcome.)

I originally bought a hat, but didn’t like it immediately. Now I’m stuck with a hat that I have to sell on EBay. Yeah, right. I have tons of time for that. I looked some more and found one I LOVED and that went with my dress much better. There, that’s your random rabbit trail for the day.

Where was I?

Right!

I had fancied myself up all the way down, err, up to the fascinator and discovered that the fire engine red lipstick I’d bought (for $12) was non-existent in my bag. Crap. Vintage screams red lipstick. I’m going to give you 3 guesses as to how many places sell makeup in Disney. Correct. I suspected that I’d forgotten it while still in Portland as well, so looked at the airport just in case I was right. Guess how many places in the Portland Airport sell makeup. Correct. Guess who had to use period INcorrect lipstick for Dapper Day. Correct.

Did I still look dapper? Sure, it was a passable look, and I waltzed out the door ready for Dappering.

You are probably wondering what Dappering involves, aren’t you? Well, first of all, it involves taking a lot of photos and posing for such ad nauseum. I got right on that. And by now, you know me pretty well; I’m not too shy to say, “Hey Stranger! Could you take my photo? I’ll even let you hold my camera. Don’t try to steal it, I always get it back!” I think the photographer who took these did very well considering the tough lighting conditions I chose.

I was feeling rather fancy and couldn’t wait to see what this gig was all about. I didn’t go far before I found other Dapper folks. Among those on my bus, there was plenty of happy chatter and excitement. It was becoming clear that this was no small event. Little did I know… But first things first. I mean everyone who spent an hour or more (and hundreds of $$ on accoutrements) getting ready certainly needed screening for nefarious purposes. Kinda detracts from the point of taking participants back to the days of Stepping Out in your Sunday Best to stroll along Main Street in a simpler time. :rolleyes2

Here is a description of the event for those of you who have not heard of this Unofficial Day in Disney:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapper_Day

Assured that messing up a good hair do with violence with was not part of the plan, I met up with my equally Dapper Dapperer (@pkondz ) where Dappering begins: Main Street, USA. And it wasn’t long before we encountered about 1,000 other merry people dressed in amazing attire from all eras of style from the 1920’s flapper to 1950’s Big Band. Everyone was accessoried up to the nine’s and the level of commitment to having fun with this event was a sight to behold.

In hindsight, I wish I’d taken far more photos, but as we’ve all remarked at times on our TRs, there are times where it’s just so much better to put all the tech away and simply… enjoy. Most of the time was spent perusing Main Street, ducking into shops as we went, and admiring the various outfits that were on display. There were lots of friendly waves and quite a few, “Hey, can we take a photo with you?!”s.

One place that was unique to this event was a pop up store selling vintage-style clothing, but in Disney-themed fabric. Not my cup of tea so much (for this event anyway), but there were quite a few folks in there browsing. It was located in the Main Street Theater which seemed to be Dapper Days Central where a lot of Dapperers were hanging around and checking in. Not meaning you have to “check in” officially. It’s a FREE event, NOT officially sanctioned by Disney, and there is no registration. It’s simply come as you are, dressed as fancy as you want or as casual, but vintage in any style you wish.

Another “hub” for Dapper Doings seemed to be in “The Side Alley”- you know the one with the singing lessons? There, we assumed, was the official photographer for the event (not a PP one) and there were quite a few little places obviously set up for posed shots. People were mingling and admiring each other’s get ups and that I think was maybe the best place for keeping cool and seeing the variety of imaginations in the park that day.

Around 1:00, we parted ways for a bit while I went off to meet a longtime friend, Dawn. She’s since left the DIS, but we’ve remained friends on FB ever since the “early days”, pre-Steppesister. It was a long time coming and the stars aligned for us to sneak in a very short Meet and quick ride on BTMRR. They had other things planned, including getting Meadow back to the resort for some schoolwork and naps all around, but the time we did spend standing in line were a lot of fun. Coincidentally, Anita and Mark, whom many of you also know, were there at our meeting place as well. To this day, I still don’t know who arranged that or how it happened, but I was thrilled I got in yet another, albeit completely unplanned, DISMeet! Sorry, no photo of those 2.

Pkondz and I met back up and took the Tamest Train in the Wilderness. By then, my feet were just DONE, and I needed a ride to get me off of them for a while. So, we took the entire circuit. It’s boring compared to the Disneyland Train, but at least it’s a slow-paced way to relax a bit in the park. Especially when the train is hijacked by the afternoon parade. It doesn’t matter how hard I try, I am ambushed by that infernal parade Every. Single. Time. After sitting on the tracks for 15 minutes in the station, we were on our way past Indian villages, very, very still deer, and a Storybook Circus that no one really goes to unless their kids are under 5. Or you’re doing a job interview for a position as Charge Nurse for the 7 Dwarves Mining Co. (See last TR.)

Touring in heels makes me hungry. Or just in the mood to sit. I’d read about a picnic lunch that had been offered in years past special to this event, but alas, it was not offered this year. Sad, because one of the choices was fried chicken. It has been a long, long time since I’ve had fried chicken. Mine sucks. Umm… I need to fix this. Alison… Plaza Chicken…?? Pretty please? (@franandaj )

Luckily, we’d discovered this lack of amenity in our planning with plenty of time to snag an ADR for perhaps the most appropriate place one could end up for Dapper Day. I mean if you’re going to go through the trouble of wearing gloves and heels all day at Disney, you may as well get your hoity-toity on in the most prissy way possible, right?

TEA TIME!!!

The monorail ride was fun; we got no small amount of stares and questions (the whole day, in fact) and it was fun to strut the stuff with our upturned noses to the masses.

Not really. Neither of us is snooty.

Or snotty.

Or snobby.

At least I don’t think so? (Why do I suddenly feel very vulnerable? :scared:)

Our Highway in the Sky took us swiftly to our snobby destination (I’m not snobby, but the GF kinda is, so I go there to pretend I have money and a matching ‘tude. I mean, why not, I had been pretending all day long, right?) and we got off with a few minutes to spare. More minutes than we thought in fact, because when we checked in, our table wasn’t ready. YAY!!! We had time to check out the gingerbread house. What a work of art! I knew it was big from rumors of past, but big enough to fit a shop inside?! I had no idea! Yes, it was pretty cool. And delicious looking. “Nibble nibble like a mouse. Who is nibbling on my…” Oh wait. Sorry. Wrong season.

Bzzz, bzzzz…. That would be the pager. Time to lift a finger. No! Not that one. The pinky one. Whilst sipping from these little beauties.

It didn’t take long to place our order after our server attentively walked us through how it all worked. Here’s the menu in case you feel your inner snob wishing to be unleashed:

http://allears.net/dining/menu/garden-view-tea-room/afternoon-tea

We both went with the Cheshire Tea and we two were both impressed and delighted.

IMG_5751-L.jpg

While we waited, we broke character and became quite silly. Two TR writers, doing what TR writers do. Dorks in Dapper Duds. But the point is to have fun, so we did.

The selections were generous and delicious, and, while I can’t speak for pkondz, I was stuffed after the sandwiches and scone. So much so that I only had 3 bites of my trifle. To be honest, this was my least favorite offering. **Warning: I tried to keep the tiny bit of self-snobbery repressed, but it’s about to say hello. ** Frankly, my homemade trifle is better. Because trifle without sherry isn’t. Mine is made with raspberries, not blueberries. Blueberries in trifle was just… puzzling. In the end, it didn’t matter. I was WAY too full to even bother. I’d had had just enough to pass judgement though. Hmmph.

It was pretty though...

And right about then, I passed judgement that it was time to call it a day and head back for some rest and eventual sleep.

Dapper Day was a success and I’m glad I can say I’ve done it now. It’s not for everyone, but if you happen to be at the Magic Kingdom on that day, I think you’d enjoy the free vintage fashion show.

Next up!

A is for African Departure Adventures- Where Adventure Begins Before You Even Leave. :rolleyes2

I've said it on FB, but I'll say it again. Congratulations, Grandma!

Thank you PK! I still feel too young to be called that, but she is so darned cute, I guess I can get used to the idea. ;)

25299458_10214484147754412_1490357677375816279_n.jpg

24993133_10214484148394428_5388788614462149515_n.jpg

Oh, man.... I can relate... but not to that extent. I can't really imagine what that father is going through.

Any time something happens to our little ones parents get upset and frightened. Doesn't matter where you live, HOW you live, or anything like that. I really felt for him. :(

Holy smokes! That's possible?????

I guess?? I wish I had done a bit more medical history gathering while there.

On the way.

Got your PM, I will make sure you have the Bank Information ASAP. :) We're already at $1,100 of given or committed support for getting him on his way and healed. Faith in action!

I love the Dapper idea! You look fantastic. I really like the guy's outfit who's standing next to you. I think that's the kind of outfit I would attempt if I ever went on Dapper Day! The afternoon tea is something I would also like to try, since I'm a tea drinker.

By then, my feet were just DONE

Trying to get caught up around the DIS...can't wait to hear more about all your travels on both sides of the world...love the Dapper outfit...but yeah, can't imagine walking around for any length of time in those shoes! What we do for fashion lol

Congrats again on the new addition to the family! Love it!!

.not the least of which was to wait for and welcome my first grandbaby into the world.

Congratulations, grandma!

I was shocked at what I saw- a handsome young 8-year old with a softball-sized tumor on his neck, another under his right eye.

Oh, man. That poor kid!

I did, however, find out what that was after the hose, the heels, the fascinator were all properly placed. (Don’t worry! I didn’t know what a “fascinator” is either until I began my preparations for Dapper Day, 2017. Here’s what I found:

"In the 19th century, a fascinator was a lightweight hood or scarf worn about the head and tied under the chin, typically knitted or crocheted...

ZZZZZZzzzzzz...

Huh? Wha...? I mean, uh, I can TOTALLY see why they call it a "fascinator".

Guess who had to use period INcorrect lipstick for Dapper Day. Correct.

I can't believe you even entered the park like that! Sheesh.

It was becoming clear that this was no small event.

I had no idea this was even a thing.

It’s simply come as you are, dressed as fancy as you want or as casual, but vintage in any style you wish.

Fancy? That means I'd have to wear a belt and tie my shoes.

Well, you guys certainly scrub up quite nicely.

Around 1:00, we parted ways for a bit while I went off to meet a longtime friend, Dawn. She’s since left the DIS, but we’ve remained friends on FB ever since the “early days”, pre-Steppesister.

Yay, Dawn! A fellow Dela-weenie.

After sitting on the tracks for 15 minutes in the station, we were on our way past Indian villages, very, very still deer, and a Storybook Circus that no one really goes to unless their kids are under 5.

No idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes1

Touring in heels makes me hungry.

You too, huh?

It has been a long, long time since I’ve had fried chicken.

You should have been on our Deep South road trip, then.

I mean if you’re going to go through the trouble of wearing gloves and heels all day at Disney, you may as well get your hoity-toity on in the most prissy way possible, right?

I'm trying to relate. Really, I am.

I’m not snobby, but the GF kinda is, so I go there to pretend I have money and a matching ‘tude.

I think you need to at least pretend just to survive in there.

We had time to check out the gingerbread house. What a work of art! I knew it was big from rumors of past, but big enough to fit a shop inside?! I had no idea! Yes, it was pretty cool.

Love the gingerbread house. The sheer scale of it is amazing!

Here’s the menu in case you feel your inner snob wishing to be unleashed:

http://allears.net/dining/menu/garden-view-tea-room/afternoon-tea

But where's the BBQ???

Dorks in Dapper Duds.

This is my new name for pkondz.

All together now: AAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Thank you PK! I still feel too young to be called that, but she is so darned cute, I guess I can get used to the idea. ;)

25299458_10214484147754412_1490357677375816279_n.jpg

24993133_10214484148394428_5388788614462149515_n.jpg

Any time something happens to our little ones parents get upset and frightened. Doesn't matter where you live, HOW you live, or anything like that. I really felt for him. :(

I guess?? I wish I had done a bit more medical history gathering while there.

Got your PM, I will make sure you have the Bank Information ASAP. :) We're already at $1,100 of given or committed support for getting him on his way and healed. Faith in action!

I've thought this several times and just realized I haven't said it yet.

CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA!!!!

Welcome to grand parent-hood. It's grand! (pun intended)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter