The Accidental Honeymoon - A September 2020 Trip Report - Now With(out) PhotoPass!

Upon exiting the ride we were in luck - Splash was back online. We hoofed it over (again, strollers, not sorry but karma) and wound our way through the empty queue all the way to almost the loading zone.

And then the nerves started to set in.

The heart rate quickened...

The palms started to sweat...

We inched slowly forward...

As we approached the log, the Cast Member asked how many in our party, my husband looked at me to confirm "2" if I so chose.

And I totally chickened out. :sad1:

So close! I used to be afraid of it too but after maybe our 4th trip without riding, I finally got on and LOVED it! That was 2010 and it's probably still my favorite MK ride to this day :love:

So just because you didn't get on this time, keep thinking about it and watching those videos…you never know :-)

Sometimes, chickening out before you get on the ride is the BEST possible call!

Years ago, my extremely height adverse mom decided that she was going to tackle her fear of Splash Mountain: she bet my sister, who was enrolled in a scuba diving course that if my mom could survive Splash Mountain than my sister would finish the scuba course.

In all of my years, I'd never seen my mom even get in a line to a thrill ride, much less attempt to ride one. The woman hates climbing ladders if that gives you any idea of her fear of heights.

Anyway, we got in line, passed the chicken exit, and she boarded. She was fine until the first (tiny) hill, and she went into full panic mode. My dad was sitting next to her, and it was awful to watch him try and help her knowing that that wasn't much he could do. Just before the final bend before the big drop, he made the decision to jump out of the log with her at an exit sign.

My sister and I watched them disappear into the backlot of Splash: about 30 seconds later, the entire ride shut down and everything went dark!

When we were allowed to finish the ride, we rushed to the exit where we found my mom still in tears and my dad upset. Apparently, they'd tried to explain to the cast member who found them that my mom was having a panic attack and that she needed to go to the medical center, but the cast member yelled at them for getting off the ride.

Basically, it was a whole mess, and my parents almost got thrown out of the park that day. She's never attempted another thrill ride and is happy to hold our bags while we go!

P.S. My sister never finished the scuba class, so they were even!

What a memory! You hear of this stuff happening but never get the "behind the scenes!" Your poor mom must've been terrified and what a guy your dad is to jump out with her…"you jump, I jump!"

Glad it all worked out in the end!

What a memory! You hear of this stuff happening but never get the "behind the scenes!" Your poor mom must've been terrified and what a guy your dad is to jump out with her…"you jump, I jump!"

Glad it all worked out in the end!
It has turned into something of family lore now that we're years away from the original incident--it's become more funny than scary, and my mom AND dad learned a good lesson that day. Plus, it was fascinating to hear what the behind the scenes looks like just behind those exit doors! My dad said they went from the immersive ride atmosphere to something that looked like what you'd find outside the back door of a strip mall.

My dad is a sweet guy, and he felt so bad for not being able to help my mom more. And, when he did help, he got yelled at! Still, it was a great lesson on knowing limits, and not pushing yourself for the sake of someone else's idea of fun.

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

I am loving this trip report! I relate to you a lot as a
Child-less Millennial planning a September 10 year anniversary trip(also staying at the beach club) I laughed out loud about the speed walking past the struggling parents! Seriously, that would be/ has been me! I grew up with a weird anxiety towards splash mountain. Not because of a fear of heights, but due to the villain animatronics. Also I’m not the biggest fans of water rides. I just don’t like to walk around soaked. Normally I avoid splash mountain, but this year it’s a must for us. Gotta ride before they change it to princess and the frog! Anyway! Love your trip report so far!

Sometimes, chickening out before you get on the ride is the BEST possible call!

Years ago, my extremely height adverse mom decided that she was going to tackle her fear of Splash Mountain: she bet my sister, who was enrolled in a scuba diving course that if my mom could survive Splash Mountain than my sister would finish the scuba course.

In all of my years, I'd never seen my mom even get in a line to a thrill ride, much less attempt to ride one. The woman hates climbing ladders if that gives you any idea of her fear of heights.

Anyway, we got in line, passed the chicken exit, and she boarded. She was fine until the first (tiny) hill, and she went into full panic mode. My dad was sitting next to her, and it was awful to watch him try and help her knowing that that wasn't much he could do. Just before the final bend before the big drop, he made the decision to jump out of the log with her at an exit sign.

My sister and I watched them disappear into the backlot of Splash: about 30 seconds later, the entire ride shut down and everything went dark!

When we were allowed to finish the ride, we rushed to the exit where we found my mom still in tears and my dad upset. Apparently, they'd tried to explain to the cast member who found them that my mom was having a panic attack and that she needed to go to the medical center, but the cast member yelled at them for getting off the ride.

Basically, it was a whole mess, and my parents almost got thrown out of the park that day. She's never attempted another thrill ride and is happy to hold our bags while we go!

P.S. My sister never finished the scuba class, so they were even!

Holy cow!!! Good for your mom for at least being brave enough to board...maybe I'll try again on my upcoming trip (but I know not to jump out! :rotfl2:

@butterscotchcollins I just found your report and I'm really enjoying your writing!

Congratulations on getting married!

I lived in the Bronx for a while, near the botanic gardens. There's a lot I miss about living in NYC (and some things I don't)!

P.S. I also wonder about the tags on the ear headbands. I just tuck them in, but it's not ideal. :confused3

Thank you so much! High five for a fellow Bronx girl. I spent most of my years there staring out my bedroom window at Woodlawn Cemetery. I miss the view but we're happier in Queens.

Well done for almost facing your Splash Mountain fears..!! :rotfl: At least you didn't ride it and have it ruin your day :laughing:

Ha ha thank you for your support.

So close! I used to be afraid of it too but after maybe our 4th trip without riding, I finally got on and LOVED it! That was 2010 and it's probably still my favorite MK ride to this day :love:

So just because you didn't get on this time, keep thinking about it and watching those videos…you never know :-)

You're making me feel brave!

I am loving this trip report! I relate to you a lot as a
Child-less Millennial planning a September 10 year anniversary trip(also staying at the beach club) I laughed out loud about the speed walking past the struggling parents! Seriously, that would be/ has been me! I grew up with a weird anxiety towards splash mountain. Not because of a fear of heights, but due to the villain animatronics. Also I’m not the biggest fans of water rides. I just don’t like to walk around soaked. Normally I avoid splash mountain, but this year it’s a must for us. Gotta ride before they change it to princess and the frog! Anyway! Love your trip report so far!

Thank you! OK I'm glad I'm not the only one. Like sorry but you made your choices...:moped: (Stay tuned for 2027 when my trip report contains the perils of WDW with small children and I scream about how no one warned me.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter