The Accidental Honeymoon - A September 2020 Trip Report - Now With(out) PhotoPass!

Congratulations on your elopement! What a great way to add a bit of fun to an otherwise awful year!

Fully with you on the honeymoon thing. While so fun it’s not exactly private, chill, or romantic but clearly you made the best of it. Following along!

CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you and excited to read this trip report. Your writing has me laughing - which is quite welcome in these times! I too am a huge fan of Princess Lilo. My inner spirit animal is Stitch. Love, love, love the Yacht & Beach Club Resorts. You guys received quite the lovely view. Following along! (And love the excited water buffalo image. Those animals sure can hoof it.) :yay:

Mistakes Were Made

Happy New Year, everyone! Where the heck did the past 4 months go??? I didn't mean to leave you all hanging (oops!) so sorry, it just got incredibly busy with work and holidays but happy that we made it to 2021!

Now where were we? When we last left off I believe we were on our way to The Wave for lunch, which meant making it from the Yacht Club to the Contemporary. In normal times any Disney enthusiast knows you should give yourself at least 60 minutes when using Disney transportation, however these are not normal times, these are covid times i.e. limited options, and none between hotels, so it took us 2 hours on the scenic route :magnify:

We started by strolling over to the International Gateway to catch the Skyliner, which was my very first time on this brand-new system, and can you guess how I felt about it?

Sunglasses: On. Sunscreen: Sheer. Ponytail holder: Lost.

If you guessed "excited" you'd be WRONG. I was elated! Thrilled! Overjoyed! There are 48 more synonyms in the thesaurus but I won't list them all! I absolutely loved it (bonus views of the France pavilion construction!), the breeze coming in kept us completely cool and comfortable in 90+ degree heat, and I have to say as someone who is terrified of heights I didn't feel even the tiniest bit anxious, it was absolutely wonderful.

The Skyliner let us off at the Riviera station, another new addition since last we were on property, so we decided to stroll through the resort and use their bus stop to head north. This new resort is absolutely stunning - as soon as you walk through the archway from the station to the pool area you are enveloped in these gorgeous tile mosaics:

This is only one of several and my terrible photog skills don't do it justice.

I would love to stay here in the future when the prices come more in line with the "Moderate" categorization :rolleyes:

We made our way up and through the lobby and down to the bus stop to wait an indeterminate amount of time for a "Royal Greetings"-headlined bus. Let me tell you, approaching the Magic Kingdom and knowing that we couldn't go in (yet) was torture because patience is not my strongest suit.

It's not a dress either but have some queen Sherie Rene Scott action.

At this point you might be thinking we'd complete our Disney Transport odyssey by hopping the monorail 1 stop to the Contemporary lobby. WRONG AGAIN! We walked! Well, I got us lost in the labyrinth of bus stop paths (oops) and then we found the right one across the street and walked.

Honeymoon Tip #3: Marry someone who loves crab cakes and lunch cocktails as much as you do, and order like 6 of each JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN.

Funnily enough, I thought this meal, as delicious as it was, was going to be a highlight of the trip but it turns out I can barely remember it because there were so many more as the week went on and this one wound up paling in comparison. Still, we enjoyed ourselves (#lunchcocktails) and once we finished my new husband was feeling ready for a nap, so we nixed the Disney Transport odyssey and took an Uber instead back to our hotel so he could nap.

I was still high on adrenaline (duh) and decided while he slept to check out one of the primary reasons we booked the Yacht Club: the DVC sales office Stormalong Bay. One thing you should know about me, I usually feel a bit awkward in new/unfamiliar places and so trying to navigate this gigantic pool complex with its myriad levels, rock formations, and pool types was a bit nerve-wracking. While I'm convinced everyone was staring at me as I splished through the kiddie-pool traversing the area because I didn't realize there was a walking path right next and felt very silly having to ask someone how to get to the entrance of the water slide the truth is no one else really notices these things and I am happy to report I was not permanently traumatized by the experience. I really enjoyed my 40 minutes of water-sliding, splishing, lazy-rivering, and squishing the sand at the bottom of the pool between my toes before the skies turned ominously dark with an impending thunderstorm and everyone was kicked out.

Dripping wet and not ready to go into the freezing cold air-conditioning I thought it would be a good idea to air dry while enjoying an ice cream sundae from the Beaches & Cream to-go window so I beat the rush and ordered my very first No Way Jose.

Go to Beaches & Cream, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

I was not prepared for how absolutely ENORMOUS this sundae was. I was expecting something that you'd get at Friendly's (2-3 scoops, modest whipped topping, shout out to my fellow Friendly's lovers!) but that plastic bowl was like the size you get a lunch salad in. I'm no stranger to tackling a mountain of ice cream but it was also melting faster than I could shovel into my not-empty stomach and I began to think I made a huge mistake.

Husband to the rescue! He had woken up from his nap and located me in the nick of time so that we could take the No Way Jose down together.

That's love.

Of course after all this eating we needed to find a way to burn some extra calories and what better way than a casual round of golf? Mini-golf that is! Off to Fantasia Gardens!

Luckily it stopped raining.

This is a must-do on every trip, and although the course is looking a bit worn from its years of love it's still a lot of fun. Now something else you should know, my husband and I are both very competitive with each other when it comes to games. We're not sure why and we know we could never be on something like The Amazing Race because it would probably lead to a swift divorce XD But something lower-stakes like mini golf was safe. In fact since the course was so deserted (not desserted, that's what we were #icecream) we played each hole twice. He won both times.

I'm not bitter.

Up next: I swallow my defeat and take him out for his belated Birthday dinner...

I loved the sand bottom pool at the Beach Club!!!! Next time you're at Beaches & Cream, try the Kitchen Sink. We finish it every time!

The Cow We Ate Had A Really Cute Nose

(Advanced apologies to the vegetarians on the thread.)

Husband's birthday is in April, and our original plan was to celebrate at one of his favorites and a can't-miss when we're at Disney, Morimoto Asia. Just like love isn't cancelled, neither were these birthday plans (just delayed!) and I was treating him to whatever he wanted on the menu. We started with cocktails - I stuck with my trusty standby the Lychee Martini and he had a Peking Duck Old Fashioned (yes, really). FYI if you are a whiskey/bourbon lover they have a great selection.

Since this was a special occasion and I did say he could order whatever he wanted we sprung for a few ounces of the Japanese A5 Wagyu Beef. Just stealing the description from the menu for a second:
Prepared tableside over ishiyaki grilling stone with sansho peppercorn sauce. A-5 is the highest quality given only to the finest certified beef from Japan.

And Oh.

My.

God.

548804 548805
So beautiful!

This was an event. It was so cool watching the delicate slices of beef being grilled over the stone, and talk about melt-in-your-mouth. Wow. Worth every penny. I think I blacked out from sheer ecstasy eating this because I couldn't tell you what we ordered for entrees.

Afterwards we were surprisingly presented a certificate of authenticity to keep (serious business) with information on our beef including when it was born, where it was raised, and the little cow's nose print (like a thumb print) which is somehow both cute and existentially disturbing? This certificate is currently displayed on one of the bookshelves next to my college degree. They were about the same price to receive :tilt:

After dinner we strolled around the Springs enjoying our evening and doing some window shopping. Husband stopped into the Art of Shaving to browse and wound up booking himself an appointment for a haircut, shave and facial later in the week since at this point he literally hadn't had his hair cut since pre-pandemic and although adorable it was definitely looking a bit shaggy.

It was getting late so we headed back to the Yacht Club for a night cap at the Ale & Compass Lounge. I ordered a glass of red wine and contemplated my life choices.

I think I've made the right ones so far...

I was also battling an inner demon that I was determined to conquer the next day at the Magic Kingdom: my intense nightmare-fueled fear of Splash Mountain.

Seriously. I have recurring nightmares about having to get on this ride. I had one last night where before you got in the queue there were 2 CMs with a map of the ride path color-coded red green and blue depending on how intense it got (the drop was red, obvs).

Would I be able to overcome my fear and ride Splash Mountain? Stay tuned...

Following! Congrats on getting married and an accidental honeymoon sounds perfect for 2020 lol

OMG, Friendly's. I love their watermelon ice cream. Don't live anywhere near a Friendly's for the past 30 years, but when I go on vacation.... I search one out.
Enjoying your report.

Love it! Joining in! I definitely needed to hear the honeymoon tip about not running off ahead of your partner :rotfl: I think I'm prone to doing that when I'm in new exciting places :laughing:

Also this is so strange!!! It feels like a guilt trip, haha!

Afterwards we were surprisingly presented a certificate of authenticity to keep (serious business) with information on our beef including when it was born, where it was raised, and the little cow's nose print (like a thumb print) which is somehow both cute and existentially disturbing?

OMG, Friendly's. I love their watermelon ice cream. Don't live anywhere near a Friendly's for the past 30 years, but when I go on vacation.... I search one out.
Enjoying your report.

Their Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sundae is hard to beat! And thanks, welcome!

Love it! Joining in! I definitely needed to hear the honeymoon tip about not running off ahead of your partner :rotfl: I think I'm prone to doing that when I'm in new exciting places :laughing:

Also this is so strange!!! It feels like a guilt trip, haha!

I think the intention is to make it like super official and serious but I have mixed feelings XD

Congrats! Loving this. Can't wait to read more :)

Thank you! Welcome! :)

I will never pay for PhotoPass

We woke up bright and early for our Magic Kingdom day, and I was kind enough to let my husband have coffee from the marketplace before hustling him to the bus stop an hour before park open. May or may not have power-walked past a couple struggling with their toddler's stroller. Not sorry but I imagine one day when I have kids at Disney karma will come back to bite me.

But I was on a very important mission to defeat my nemesis: Splash Mountain. And I knew before the bravery wore off and the nerves kicked in I had to march straight over to Frontierland and make it the first thing I did. I had watched all the on-ride videos, I had read the articles about how to tackle my fear, I had visualized myself successfully boarding the log and taking the plunge - I was ready.

We meet again.

Lol just kidding it was down for maintenance until who-knew-when that morning, along with BTMRR.

With the wind out of my sails, we started on a less intense foot in Fantasyland and then headed to Space Mountain to abuse our necks with some herky jerky fun in the dark.

I will never-

-pay for PhotoPass.

We also hung around Liberty Square to enjoy some wedding cake, since we were eloped newlyweds after all.

This was freaking delicious!

And while still waiting for Splash to come back online, visited my personal favorite attraction, the Haunted Mansion. I have to say without the pre-show it was REALLY really really a cool experience to just walk through the Stretching Room with the portraits on full display. Something I will truly never forget.

Why buy the PhotoPass cow when you can get the
iphone screenshot for free?

Upon exiting the ride we were in luck - Splash was back online. We hoofed it over (again, strollers, not sorry but karma) and wound our way through the empty queue all the way to almost the loading zone.

And then the nerves started to set in.

The heart rate quickened...

The palms started to sweat...

We inched slowly forward...

As we approached the log, the Cast Member asked how many in our party, my husband looked at me to confirm "2" if I so chose.

And I totally chickened out. :sad1:

Sorry, dear readers, I just couldn't. I couldn't be brave! Maybe one day. Let's pretend one day this is me on the ride with my sweet, patient, understanding husband (who you will note looks pretty sad because he didn't want to ride by himself but to his credit did not give me any grief at all - probably because I spent the 20 minutes while he rode weeping quietly in fear and shame next to the closed children's play area. See? Karma.)

Sadly Disney did not call me for the Festival of the Arts.

With my emotionally fraught episode behind us we decided to take a ride break and do some shopping on Main Street. Huffing the sweet scent of the Confectionery is just what I needed to put a smile back on my face! That and the super adorable cavalcade down Main Street which was always a fun surprise when we caught them. Love those, hope they stay around forever.

You'll notice in the above photos I'm also missing something: Ears! Had to stop into the Emporium to browse all the cute Halloween merch and get myself a sassy new pair:

Can anyone tell me what they do with the
tag on these things tho?

We also popped into a shop that had this adorable Precious Moments figurine and I may have cried a little again.

Seriously regret not buying it!

We packed a lot into the first part of our day and we were just getting started.

Next time, on I Cry A Lot at Disney Parks: Lunchtime!

Sometimes, chickening out before you get on the ride is the BEST possible call!

Years ago, my extremely height adverse mom decided that she was going to tackle her fear of Splash Mountain: she bet my sister, who was enrolled in a scuba diving course that if my mom could survive Splash Mountain than my sister would finish the scuba course.

In all of my years, I'd never seen my mom even get in a line to a thrill ride, much less attempt to ride one. The woman hates climbing ladders if that gives you any idea of her fear of heights.

Anyway, we got in line, passed the chicken exit, and she boarded. She was fine until the first (tiny) hill, and she went into full panic mode. My dad was sitting next to her, and it was awful to watch him try and help her knowing that that wasn't much he could do. Just before the final bend before the big drop, he made the decision to jump out of the log with her at an exit sign.

My sister and I watched them disappear into the backlot of Splash: about 30 seconds later, the entire ride shut down and everything went dark!

When we were allowed to finish the ride, we rushed to the exit where we found my mom still in tears and my dad upset. Apparently, they'd tried to explain to the cast member who found them that my mom was having a panic attack and that she needed to go to the medical center, but the cast member yelled at them for getting off the ride.

Basically, it was a whole mess, and my parents almost got thrown out of the park that day. She's never attempted another thrill ride and is happy to hold our bags while we go!

P.S. My sister never finished the scuba class, so they were even!

@butterscotchcollins I just found your report and I'm really enjoying your writing!

Congratulations on getting married!

I lived in the Bronx for a while, near the botanic gardens. There's a lot I miss about living in NYC (and some things I don't)!

P.S. I also wonder about the tags on the ear headbands. I just tuck them in, but it's not ideal. :confused3

Well done for almost facing your Splash Mountain fears..!! :rotfl: At least you didn't ride it and have it ruin your day :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter