The actual restart date will be....(according to us)...Poll!

We are really cruising in __________now!

• November 2020

• December 2020

• January 2021

• February 2021

• March 2021

• April 2021

• May 2021

• Summer 2021 June-Aug

• Fall 2021 Sept-

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know what is expected of Royal Caribbean crew who are going back at the moment (although it could change once large numbers are going back) as they're really open with us: 2 weeks quarantine at home (not that you can prove it either way) and a negative test 72 hours before you travel, then before you board another test and then 2 weeks quarantine again once onboard in a single cabina!

I would think when they first go back, crew will just quarantine on the ship, there's no guests there, and wont cost any money either way...

If not, I dont think they'd put them up at WDW (they never do for returning crew, it's always a crowne plaza or Hilton).

Also, crew visas are only 'landing visas' and even if we have an esta we can't use both in one trip, so they could enter on an esta/other visa, but they would have to leave the country and re-enter on the C1/D. (Like if a non US crew wants to stay in the US at the end of their contract, they either have to fly somewhere out and back in or end their contract in the last foreign port), and in a C1/D (crew visa) you're only allowed a certain amount of time in the US, and I'm not sure if it's long enough for a 2 week quarantine on land...

I think they would quarantine crew for now, (I dont get why, I could isolate for a month and then get infected 5 minutes into my first shift, talking to the first guests I see...) so if it did come onbaord they can say the crew were 'clean' and it was the guests that brought it on, especially as, for now, crew wont be allowed off anywhere....

In this case, they would still need the support staff fo meal prep and delivery. They would either have to pay resorts for them - and resorts wouldn't want to bring folks off furlough for this as it would be temporary - or they would still need their own cleared team.

I suppose they could move the catering teams from the NBA bubble, but some of those folks are needed for the reopening of Coronado and GF.

Depends on who they can get back, and on what timeline. Many CMs need a visa to get into the US to embark.

I like your idea of taking the crew from the NBA and using them for the Disney cruise line people.. The Bucks are out of it now so there’s easily another 40 mouths that they’re not going to be feeding. I understand that the food the cast members get is not near as nice as the food that cruisers are offered in the MDR’s. I imagine that they would create packaged meals to be sent to each room that they could select from (vegan, no pork, gluten free,...) but I suspect that the higher cuts of meat with fancy sauces might not be served. But I also expect Disney to foot the whole bill for the hotel stay and the food during the 14 day quarantine. And this would hopefully still offer enough people to open the Resort and GF. (my bad what’s a GF?)

And I understand that there’s going to be trouble getting all of the former employees back. The flights Options might have been canceled the airline might have gone out of business, the government is shut down, they’re just done don’t wanna do it anymore...,, so many things are definitely going to be wrong.
I think in our hearts we all want to believe that each and everyone of us that is holding out for their individual ship to start Disney cruising with all four at the same time. I totally want to think that no one‘s gonna walk away with hurt feelings seeing but ship A and B got to sale why did they cancel C And D? And I think it’s going to be one of the many reasons is what you stated, just don’t have enough people coming back quick enough to handle the clientele currently booked.

Here’s an idea for training! If they’re gonna be sitting for 14 days inside a room, why shouldn’t Disney offer their training like every other college does online?

Right now I think I’m so brilliant. And then I’m gonna read this tomorrow and everyone’s comments and think what an idiot I am. But I know inside it’s not brilliance it’s all enthusiasm! Go team Disney!!
(I’ll just find my way quietly over to another thread and let you folks enjoy your evening)

Well that was quick I started this at 3 o’clock and didn’t see the other posts. I’ve been dealing with some ugly doctor appointments so I use this as a distraction.

What exactly is the point of a crew quarantine, since it would only help for the first cruise?
Well if the crew are using masks and washing hands just as the doctors and nurses whom dealt with Covid patients on a daily basis, numbers could be kept down. It’s also helpful that most but not all CM’s are younger.
I would think when they first go back, crew will just quarantine on the ship, there's no guests there, and wont cost any money either way...

Also, crew visas are only 'landing visas' and even if we have an esta we can't use both in one trip, so they could enter on an esta/other visa, but they would have to leave the country and re-enter on the C1/D. (Like if a non US crew wants to stay in the US at the end of their contract, they either have to fly somewhere out and back in or end their contract in the last foreign port), and in a C1/D (crew visa) you're only allowed a certain amount of time in the US, and I'm not sure if it's long enough for a 2 week quarantine on land...
I do not know why I didn’t just think of the EMPTY SHIP from the beginning. See I knew my wild ideas would come bite me in the butt! LOL
That Visa/esta or C1/D is some fascinating information! I always love seeing your posts.

GF = Grand Floridian. It's one of the NBA bubble sites. Only the DVC villas there have been open to outside guests, but once the finals are over that resort will reopen. Disney won't keep the flagship closed any longer than cleanup.

Well that was quick I started this at 3 o’clock and didn’t see the other posts. I’ve been dealing with some ugly doctor appointments so I use this as a distraction.

Well if the crew are using masks and washing hands just as the doctors and nurses whom dealt with Covid patients on a daily basis, numbers could be kept down. It’s also helpful that most but not all CM’s are younger.

I do not know why I didn’t just think of the EMPTY SHIP from the beginning. See I knew my wild ideas would come bite me in the butt! LOL
That Visa/esta or C1/D is some fascinating information! I always love seeing your posts.

I'm no expert on the Visa's, just going by what I've picked up of the years, so I could be wrong...

And, tbh, i only thought of the ships because of how quarantine worked when cruising ended.

I do know that when the fantasy went over to Europe, they left some crew in the Disney cast accommodation, the ones they use for CPs. But I dont know anymore than that, like who it was or how long for...

When this poll started, March 2021 started out really strong and then dipped and got passed up. I haven't noticed any game changing news, so I wonder what's changed?

Last edited:

When this poll started, March 2021 started out really strong and then dipped and got passed up. I haven't noticed any game changing news, so I wonder what's changed?
Actually March and January were running neck and neck and far in the lead for a long time. Then January took off a couple of days ago.
I’m am still on November but think it will be only one ship of the 4. We have a cruise set for January but the Doc last week said my dad won’t be able to get the vaccine for a while after it’s released and not advised to travel without the shot. So now I’m planning on using the 15 day swap-out for a new future cruise.

I am interested to know the plan if multiple crew test positive after cruising resumes. What they cancel the next sailing? Do you leave the crew on the ship until they test negative?

I am interested to know the plan if multiple crew test positive after cruising resumes. What they cancel the next sailing? Do you leave the crew on the ship until they test negative?
I’m gonna say they don’t sail until the emergency use Covid vaccine is available. Emergency use means it hasn’t gone through all of its trials so it’s a risk. I don’t know even knowwhat area had the one person who had a bad reaction to the vaccine, but I suspect that truly slow the reopening process. I thought it stopped the additional trials as well.
otherwise employees are masks required throughout the day with no group meals. They’ll have to eat in their room.

I’m gonna say they don’t sail until the emergency use Covid vaccine is available.

We're getting close. In my area we've already had members on the fire department who have received the vaccine. It was from Pfizer.

We're getting close. In my area we've already had members on the fire department who have received the vaccine. It was from Pfizer.
Really I had no idea. Are they part of the trial or emergency use?

Since they pulled the December sailings from the website it gave me much less faith in November which I didn’t have a lot of anyway. So now I’m down for December. All you November folk that have travel plans I’m praying for you.

Last edited:
You mean anyone that chose a 2021 date

Hope not. If we go all of 2021 with no cruising then there isn't going to be much cruising in 2022 either because the number of cruise lines still in business will drop off. Almost 2 years of no cruising would be an industry killer. Also, I don't think DCL would be spending the money right now to dry dock 3 ships in France and have them spruced up if they thought they weren't cruising again until 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter