The Brophy's Wonderful January Cruise Part 1

DizMare

Mouseketeer
The Brophy Family Cruise on the Disney Wonder
January 20 – 24, 2002

I started to do a day-by-day report, but darn, it was taking forever and my memory began to fail. So, I’ll try it this way in an effort to get the information to you all in a more timely manner (well, as timely as it can be a month later  ) It is the least I can do for all of you who were so kind to share your knowledge with me!

The Cast – all first timer cruisers
Me and DH, mid-forties
DD age 12
DS age just three weeks shy of 11

Getting There
Philadelphia had enjoyed a very mild winter. The first significant snow of the season? You guessed it – on our getaway day. By Friday night I was in a tizzy, trying to pack for the “unknown” of the cruise and watching endless repetitions of the Weather Channel’s bad weather news.

DH suggested that we go to the airport Friday night and stay at the airport Marriott to avoid snow driving the next day. I also thought there might be a possibility of changing our flight to one earlier in the day on Saturday, which would allow us to depart before the storm.

We quickly finished packing (and forgetting a number of things in the process) and arrived at the Marriott at nearly midnight. After going to our room (2 double beds, overlooking the runways, $94/nt AAA rate) we walked to the USAir counters, but they were closed until 4:30 a.m. DH left a wakeup call for that ungodly hour and booked over there again only to find that all earlier flights were overbooked (some by 15+ people!).

So, we had a leisurely room service breakfast (very tasty) while watching the snow come down and flight after flight being cancelled. At noon, we checked in and went through security. There was no line at all for security, but the security worker said that it was extremely busy with long lines earlier that morning.

DH was pulled aside to have his carryon checked. He was also wanded and asked to remove his shoes. Lots of police/national guard/state trooper presence. I had to stop in a gift shop and buy a hairbrush and chapstick, which I forgot in our hasty packing.

We boarded on time, and pulled away from the gate only a few minutes late due to waiting for passengers on a connecting flight. Alas, we were forced to wait in the de-icing queue for one and a half hours. Luckily for us, dh had used miles to upgrade us to first, so the wait was pleasant. I was very glad to finally get up in the air and escape the snow.

Tiffany Town Car
We were met at the bottom of the escalator by Jack of Tiffany Town Car. Nice older fellow, but a smoker. In my opinion, his towncar (or him) smelt only slightly of smoke, but dh was really, really bothered by it and had a miserable ride to the port. BTW, the drivers cannot park near the terminal any more and most meet you, and then go get the car. This is not a problem, as we used the time to collect our luggage. (But if you need help getting all your luggage down one flight to the car, it would pay to get a luggage cart.)

I had requested a grocery stop to buy soda and wine. Seems like we might have been the first to ask Jack to do this, as he didn’t seem to know where to take us. He first took us to an ABC liquor store in an area that looked a tad unsavory. They didn’t have the wine we were looking for, but we found something acceptable. The kids wanted root beer, and since root beer is not a mixer (!) they didn’t carry it. So Jack drove us to a 7/11. Not exactly ideal for either price or selection. We got some root beer, but not the caffeine free cola I wanted. Jack did offer to drive us somewhere else, but it was really getting late and my mom was waiting. (BTW, we never opened the wine and only drank 4 of the 12 sodas. I’d skip this purchase next time.) FWIW, if you’re using Tiffany, stick to your guns and ask to be taken to a regular grocery store.

The Radisson Resort at the Port
We chose this hotel because of its free shuttle, the ability to get three beds, and because my mom knew where it was . She was driving down from Ormond Beach to have dinner with us, and I didn’t want her to get lost.

We arrived 1.5 hours later than expected to find mom waiting in the lobby for us. She had watched the USAir site to see if we were delayed, but since we pulled away from the gate essentially “on time” she headed down the coast as planned. We tried to reach her at home, and then left a message at the front desk, which she received. She was fine, though, having enjoyed the band at the bar and watching the beautifully dressed young girls going to a dance of some sorts in the convention center. We thought maybe it was a debutante ball.

Check in was quick, and I was able to sign up for the 10:20 a.m. shuttle to the port. Quick check of our room, #603, way in the back of the resort. We had a one bedroom jacuzzi suite with 2 king beds and a queen sleeper sofa ($129 AAA rate). The room was beautiful, spacious and clean with lots of upscale soap and cream products. Very comfortable.

We walked over to Kelsey’s for dinner, a restaurant that shares a parking lot with the Radisson. (Mom had checked out the Radisson dinner buffet while she was waiting and judged it overpriced.) We had a 15 minute wait for a table, which we spent enjoying the beautifully warm Florida breeze. (My mom thought it was chilly.) Dinner was pizza and pasta and it was delish. The kids went for a quick dip in the beautiful pool, we watched a bit of that awful football game in the snow, then saw Mom off home. Baths and bed and a good night’s sleep followed.

EMBARKATION DAY
We were up and at ‘em at 8. Tim and the kids went across the street to McDonald’s and brought back a nutritious breakfast (not). The table for four was just perfect for breakfast. There was also a coffee maker and coffee in the room and a small fridge. I really liked the Radisson and would stay there again.

The shuttle was ready for us early. It was a van that seated 5, although I did see another larger van later. We were at the port in no time flat, and left in the parking lot across from the ship at 10:15. The luggage carts arrived about 10:35 and then we walked across the street to the terminal. Before we could even reach the terminal, our ID’s and passports were checked against a list of passengers. We were checked again as we entered the terminal.

There was no wait for checkin. DD, who had been very nervous and reluctant about the cruise, as she hates boats, went to chat with the CM pointing out staterooms on the huge model of the ship. Don’t know what he said to her, but she suddenly was very pumped about the cruise, jumping up and down with excitement. We took lots of pictures of the model and the Mickey ears as there were very few people around. DD plopped herself down in the line to board. I warned her that the wait would be lengthy and that she didn’t have to get in line yet. She replied that she was so excited she wanted to be the very first onboard.

The rest of us continued to explore and take photos. DS really enjoyed watching all the loading and unloading of the ship. DD sat happily at the head of the line.

CM Art, who gives all the boarding instructions, saw dd sitting alone in the line and gave her the same long wait warning that I did. When she told him how excited she was to be going and that she wanted to be first, he told her she could be his countdown helper and our whole family could be first onboard. Well! She looked like Tigger as she ran to find us and to introduce her brother to Art so he could also help. Art told us where to sit until he called us. He gave dd a resin Minnie and ds a resin Donald. We also got a certificate for our Countdown Magical Moment.

I had been wondering if it would have been better to book a later shuttle from the hotel and enjoy the pool some more, but this was worth getting there super early.

When the time came to board (about 12:15), both kids were introduced to the crowd and helped Art countdown. DS got to hold a fake captain’s wheel, and both kids were grinning ear to ear. We weren’t truly the first guests on the ship, as those in wheelchairs and concierge guests board first, but we were first of the general mass. Past the drug sniffing dog (who we were repeatedly told not to pet) through the scanners and onto the ship where we were announced and photographed. Too cool.

The Ressie Scramble
Following the advice of this fine board, we avoided being herded into Parrot Cay, and went up to deck 9 to explore. We went in the ESPN club where a family group of 15 or so were saving seats to see the big football game. The kids changed into swimsuits and had the Mickey pool all to themselves for almost an hour. DH and I enjoyed the Beach Blanket Buffet, bringing our food out to the pool area to watch the kids.

Reservations were to begin at 1:30 for both the spa and Palo’s, so at 1:15 dh and I split up to do that. I was #2 in line at the spa, and dh was #14 at Wavebands! The spa did not open until 1:30, but Palo’s ressies were already being taken. DH beat me back to the table. He booked us a 6 p.m. seating on our day at sea, and I got us an Nassau afternoon surial bath and length of stay Rainforest Passes. We had our family service radios (fsr) with us, but didn’t really need them as all went smoothly.

We went to our wonderful room, 8550, and met Johannes our stateroom host, who showed us all around the room. Our bags arrived almost immediately. We didn’t stop to unpack, as I wanted to follow more board advice and sign the kids up in the Lab before the safety drill.

The counselors were a bit standoffish, and the process was a bit confusing (I kept standing in the wrong lines). But we handed in our paperwork, got our pagers and the kids got their badges.

One last ordeal – the safety drill. It was a bit hot, but not too uncomfortable and was over by 4:15. We all had a nice laugh about how we looked in our orange vests. One weird thing was that dh’s life vest indicated he should go to a different station than us. A CM assured him that he should just go to our life station. (An annoying mom next to me insisted on trying to engage me in conversation during the safety announcements. I would have gladly chatted with her later, but I believe in listening to the safety spiels. They could be important!)

All in all, the ressie scramble was just fine.

Our Stateroom, 8550
Just loved it. Great midship, starboard location, no motion to speak of, lovely verandah, very quiet with lots of storage space and hangars. Beds were very comfortable. Suitcases fit nicely under the bed. We occasionally heard people running overhead when we were sitting on the verandah, but it was not annoying. Didn’t hear any deck chairs or loud music. Our next door neighbors were shouters and very loud when on their verandah, but with the doors closed we didn’t hear them at all.

Our family consensus is that a verandah is necessary. Lovely spot to have morning coffee (and evening coffee), the lights are fine to read by and if you put your feet up on the little table and lean back you can snooze quite comfortably!  It is also a great spot to dry out snorkel gear and bathing suits.

What a relief that you made it through the snow to get to Florida!!

Sounds like your trip started off well - how excitin for your children to be the Greeters!
Pam

Sounds like a fun start to your trip! We are leaving on 3/23 and are really looking forward to it. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter