The Disney Alaskan Cruise Bible

adSimba

Always another adventure with Mickey
I've created a guidebook for my friends and family going on the first Alaska cruise next year. I humbly call it "The Disney Alaskan Cruise Bible" it is a compilation of all of the information I've collected from all over the internet. I've used a lot of direct text and photos, and I didn't give anyone credit (because this is not a commercial book).

I hope that some of you can make use of it, and if you have any suggestions, information that should be included, or see something that is wrong, please let me know.

I'll post a few chapters a day, so people have room/time to make suggestions/help correct my errors.

Last edited:
COMMON DISNEY CRUISE ACRONYMS AND WORDS

CC: Castaway Club (DCL Loyalty Program)

CM: Cast Member (Employee)

DCL: Disney Cruise Line

FE: Fish Extender (A “secret Santa” type gift exchange set up with cruise groups before the cruise)

GF: Gluten Free (Disney takes all allergies very seriously)

GS: Guest Services

KTTW: Key to the World (your room key/id/charge card on the ship)

MDR: Main Dining Room (Triton’s, Tiana’s, and Animators Palate)

OBC: Onboard Credit

PAT: Port Arrival Time (when you can get on the ship)

Port: The left hand side of the ship when facing the front. Cabins on the
Port side will be numbered X0## or X1## where X is the deck number.

Starboard: The right hand side of the ship when facing the front. Cabins on the
Starboard side will be numbered X5## or X6## where X is the deck number.

Forward: The front of the ship.

Aft: The back of the ship.

Quotes found online may include these acronyms

DD: Dear Daughter

DS: Dear Son

DH: Dear Husband

DW: Dear Wife

MIL: Mother In Law (notice how it’s not DMIL)

DGS: Dear Grandson

SIL: Son in Law (also not dear)

There are many more than you can think of

Last edited:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FOR VANCOUVER

• Review on-board classes/activities etc: (see past Navigators links on first page)
  • Request pack and play, bedside railing, high chair and/or booster
  • Order room gifts:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

• Disney t-shirts for family members;
  • Decide if you should pre-order photos (there’s a discount)
  • Make/get door magnet decorations

One of the more prominent Castaway Club perks is the ability to book onboard and shore excursions before anyone else. Platinum level can book 120 days prior to sailing, Gold 105 days, and Silver 90 days. First time cruisers, who are not yet Castaway Club members, may book 75 days.

• 75+ days before departure (12am EST, 11pm CST, 10pm MST, 9pm PST):
Go online and check in as early as you can this way –

• Online check-in http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/
  • Really easy to do. Just have your reservation number and birthday and name. You will have to print out the forms. YOU MUST BRING THESE PAPERS WITH YOU TO THE PORT.
  • Book excursions, Palo reservations and Spa treatments

• Select Port Arrival Time (PAT) Disney Cruise Line offers staggered arrival times to help prevent congestion in the port, so you will need to pick from a list of available times.
Past cruisers advise choosing arrival time as early as possible, or after 1 PM The times slots range from 11:00 AM-3:00 PM. Earliest times are booked the quickest.

• Pre-register for Children’s programmes
At port, after check-in (which will happen really smoothly since you’ve already completed your paperwork), you can go to Check-In desk for the children’s activities. You’ll be able to bypass everyone who is filling out paperwork, because you did it several weeks ago! Kids will be assigned a Mickey band to wear and you can ask questions about how the kids’ clubs work. Anyone who doesn’t get this done in the terminal will have to make their way to the club onboard and complete the process there.

“My suggestion is that you prioritize what you want to reserve, when your time comes, add those activities in order. If you are worried that you will miss out at an opportunity for one of the more popular reservations, then I would prepare to burn the midnight oil and log in as soon as your booking window opens. I’ve been guilty of this in the past, it is not fun. However, it is a good feeling to get the reservations you have been planning over the last few months even if there is still availability a week later.”

• You don't even have to enter ALL the information right away, just get your boarding time.But you do have enter something in all blanks. The Port Arrival Time page will not "unlock" unless everything is filled out. Now, that information can be actual info, made up, or gibberish. The system only recognizes that SOMETHING was entered, not whether it makes sense.
  • Then you can go back and correct any "errors" later.
    • For example, it's quicker to say you're arriving by private car (don't have to enter all the flight info), or say you're using cash for your onboard account (instead of having to enter all the credit card info).
  • If you have 2 reservations that are linked. 1 person can do the port adventures for both reservations and the other can do the check in for both rooms.
  • Disney will send booklet with luggage tags about 3 weeks from the cruise.
Notes/Advice for check-in with LINKED/MULTIPLE ROOMS:

• The online check in window and the excursion booking window both open at midnight eastern time on the day your window opens. Sometimes one or the other (for whatever reason) isn't available right away. There have been reports of up to a 4-6 hour difference.
  • You can do either the check in or excursion booking first - whichever is more important to you to do first.
  • The only thing check-in first gets you is an early boarding time. Harder gets like Palo brunch, spa etc.. are generally considered more important to do first.

Last edited:

SEASICKNESS REMEDIES

Because of the nature of the cruise the Alaska inside passage is the least likely of all cruise options by Disney for people to experience seasickness.

That said there are many options to avoid nausea on the trip. (Especially on the first and last day where there won’t be land on both sides of the ship.)

Holistic remedy - Motioneaze an oil applied to the back of the ear which relieves mild - moderate nausea in most people within minutes.

IlcbeEfHjCIP31YDho2Z6v8hrS4np0So_ItS0JSI_zB1k83aS5Iopx3FqI0QkQJdA02BW6w5fCIMLtpA-Z_D6ozy8cl1g_ewSaaF_tuVdj4WdIJGU32-6KPln3VBQU-KgiRhYVyv

Natural remedy- Ginger (Candy made with real ginger is great but needs to be bought in advance, the ginger ale on the boat is not believed to contain real ginger.)

4Tv1r3Ks0_NYFpCoG1sxwP6CHqDFSweVGCznR7Zz5VD1El5GCsZoAiUgC8Kw4oyd51rtZvj75hbSDWEqTp90-y2yX3aC-1gxgiROM33i9pUgUFC13yugl0CXsZPxQjGAcUZMfZ2A

“For people looking for ginger. Walmart has nature's valley ginger root with supplements by the pharmacy. You can also find crystallized ginger in the produce department of grocery stores.”

Witchcraft remedy: Sea Bands, just a bracelet that has a nub to press an acupressure point to prevent/relieve nausea.

XUJev2oHeiEZDrx5DQtytQYByPvPXpwAzYhD561nKxQwJLPb4vfwlt8ZjdPgwtiHoX3ra-wG6DSRNAWwdYZVPsUgNdJfHzOGkSz9hVTlK9hGPYvQfB-KP_Tep0MR3U_Uf9ukfTpa

Over the Counter Medical remedy: Bonine, Often described as the most effective by cruisers. (Most people are not expected to find OTC necessary for this trip.)

“If you get motion sick easily, take Bonnie every evening of the cruise. My doctor recommended taking it at bedtime.”
bOWc3fzhl0HEuu3O4rciDIwSnCgCreWTAylyTx1kjV3G66h0Z4WgMsXc3cay5i1YckO-nu-TNjE0FpU58jiuMvDTCW1Im1iKLjBfwFcAlpCq7tgi2eJ1U1y5Lb0SSpVKkzZpXPyt

“One tip though....and this was from an RN traveling on our bus tour.....it says take one to two tablets. Take 2. You need 50mg of meclizine for it to be effective. There is 25 in each tablet. I could not believe the difference in taking the 2 vs starting with one.....I owe that woman a debt that can never be repaid!”

Prescription Medical Remedy: Transderm-Scop Patches. These are what you need to see the doctor for before cruising to get.

qHsUhtQLNM9gz8jCPN1TT7kfdkTcmx3hBxhLjedMs6pHoElGQyIm2SwppP0Wozixbes_7zN4rs_P7ZnxNWpcLeAPIMbCA-MqCquNaX8iZsWLKZ5zvaYyM_xEWXH4lqJsSsUH32ad

“I get severe motion sickness. For cruises i have to use the patch. Put it on 24 hours before you board and leave it on for 24 hours after you get off.”

“My rookie mistake was applying a new motion sickness patch "transdermal-SCOP 1.5" everyday for the first 4 days ... had I read the pharmacy instructions, right on the bag they came it, it stated one patch every 72 hours. For about 3 hours I couldn't read anything because my eyes were blurry plus I wasted about $30 dollars... lessons learned…”

Land Sickness

Land sickness is a thing too, unfortunately. If you’ve been taking sea sickness medication, keep taking it for a day or two after the cruise to readjust to the lack of motion.

Last edited:
TRIP INSURANCE
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...IO2zNNU18KoXF6k/edit#bookmark=id.dl88bw2qw24b
According to USA TODAY trip insurance is anywhere from 4 - 10 % of a trip's total cost

Many seasoned cruisers will say that it would be incredibly foolish to not get trip insurance. Many others say that they have been on many trips and never needed/used it.

Most of what trip insurance provides is peace of mind (what if someone in your party gets sick and is not allowed to board the boat? or someone slips and breaks a wrist?) the odds of these things happening is incredibly low (especially for the under 60 crowd)

If you do go to the health center, it costs $100 just to see the doctor, plus the cost of medications. Your health insurance plan is no good here! But if you bought trip insurance, it will reimburse you later.

“TIP: Buy trip insurance. It will pay if you have to cancel the cruise, or if the cruise gets cancelled. It will pay if your luggage gets lost or stolen or damaged. If you were to get really sick or hurt, it will pay to get you back home.”

“Trip insurance will also pay if your luggage is damaged. Just make sure they take pictures of it before you leave the terminal”

Last edited:

PACKING

The average summer temperatures in Alaska can range from a high of 62 degrees Fahrenheit to an average low of 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Layering is recommended, so pack accordingly. The pools aboard the cruise ship will be open and are heated if the temperature falls below 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

“Don't over pack. T-shirts are really inexpensive at the Alaska ports...usually less than $10 (even for long-sleeve) and are of a decent quality. Even if you forget a fleece jacket, you can pick up a decent one in any of the ports for around $20. Plenty of selection of raincoats too.”

“When packing to come home I counted 5 shirts that I never wore, what a waste of space!”

5WxsVK9JwVCoFkfQHSeeU6dVtpKUWU6XNNa5QPWJiN5Ho_G4i8mBS8AirSpV6QDZWGe1eHk8xaSDL_mkFEWU03qU2pV-8tmH7-4Wtvqae2DyPzHKjbTrBd5FIaljNZ_Oi2U0VOhr

“(On our first Alaskan cruise, we way over packed - I brought everything I thought I *might* need, and then some. I had long underwear & multiple sweaters which were never used. The second time we went back, we did better, but still took too much. The key really is in clothes that you can layer and take on/off as needed depending on the day. Jeans/pants + a t-shirt is my base outfit, with a fleece jacket as my first outer layer, then a waterproof shell to add if necessary. I also bring one "indoor" sweater to use in the dining rooms or theatres because I find them cold. Gloves/hat were only needed on Tracy Arm day, but definitely appreciated and didn't take too much space in luggage. I only bring 2 pairs of shoes - the ones I wear most of the time (just sneakers) and a pair of dressy sandals for dinners. Remember that you can do laundry on the ship, so don't bring too many doubles of any of the big bulky stuff - plus, since you don't sweat as much in a colder climate like Alaska, you can wear clothes more than once before they need to be washed.)”

“Bring more super comfy clothes like yoga pants. “I spent most mornings dressed that way because even though I'm an early riser, the ship sleeps in.”

What your staterooms DO NOT offer/Extras to pack if you will need them

• Robes (for the common folk)

• Sunscreen
  • Highlighters to mark activities in the paper navigator
  • Thank you cards to write notes to go with our tip cards and for table mates
  • Binoculars
“I wore my robe every time we went swimming. I don’t think I could have made it from the heated pool to the interior of the ship without it!”

“Consider bringing your oldest clothes to wear on excursions - especially if you might get wet or messy and then throw them away. It will make additional room in your luggage and allow more room for souvenirs.”

“Bring half as many clothes”

“Bring a journal”

“Bring some clothespins. They are great for hanging up swimsuits, etc.”

“Bring some Lysol or other ‘fragrant spray’ for the bathroom. It doesn’t have much ventilation.”

“Bring your old cruddy undies on the ship. Then pitch them in the trash rather than taking them home. More room in your suitcase.”

"’Business cards’ with personal contact info. We knew before we left that there were people we had met on the DIS that we wanted to keep up with, so we figured we would meet others with whom we wanted to maintain contact. Having those little cards made is easier to trade information with our new friends”

“You can use pre-printed stickers (like address labels) on your luggage tags, and it will save you time. You simply put the label on the back of the luggage tag DCL provides. That last night, you will be tired, but you will want to get everything you can out of your fabulous trip and having the label saves filling out those tags by hand.”

“They don't have marshmallows on the ship for hot chocolate”

TIPS:

• You can ship things to the ship, if it’s easier than bringing them. (contact DCL for up to date info on this)
“GS has single doses of ‘stuff’ like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Band-Aids, etc. Just ask. They also have discrete bags of emergency "supplies" when your daughter needs them and the ship is in port (so the gift shops are closed). And WHY can't that child count to 28?????”

“The gift shops have MANY "critical need" items that are not out on display. If your luggage is lost, etc. they can help--tell them what your situation is and what you need. These things are limited in quantity and sizes, but if you don't have any undies you aren't too picky!”

“DCL doesn't permit homemade food on board ... "Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.”

Prior to departure, you will be given tags for your luggage. Be sure to tag your bags with your room number. Make sure all bags are securely fastened.

“Pack all kids outfits in individual Ziploc bags – complete with underwear, shorts, top. Kids name written on front. There was also a baggie with swimwear, and one with jammies & extra undies for each. The empty bags were perfect for packing damp or dirty items in.”

• Never pack anything in your luggage you couldn't stand losing forever.
  • Tape your name, address, phone, cell numbers and ship contact info inside your luggage.
  • Always carry your cruise, airline documents, emergency numbers and insurance info on you (not in your luggage).

• Always carry your prescriptions, passport, ID, emergency numbers with you (not in your luggage).
  • Before you go, take a picture of your luggage. This will help the airlines identify lost pieces.
  • Before you go, give your ship communication info and travel itinerary to a friend or relative whom is not going on the cruise.
  • Pack re-usable clothing. For example, a men’s blazer may be used on informal and formal nights; ladies slacks may be work with several different tops.
  • Leave your expensive/priceless jewelry at home.
  • Seal toiletries that might leak in ziplock bags.
  • Use suitcases that can “nest” or fit inside one another once unpacked/in your ship stateroom. They’ll fit nicely out-of-sight under your bed.
“Dress your family in the same colored shirt on shore excursions. You will be able to find your “group” quickly and if anyone gets separated, they will know how to describe what at least one of their “group” members is wearing.”

mCCeFKTrsFfj2zA6rIgyfLqZvT0he0nGLtolvXmb2Zfo8Gk7vUl1Ov3N44MNWOyujqAfs5dmI6DKp0-2psjVyrP6y2QMtD3qpRk3_IdMym3lDsHTEQa0sJbsMTCDE_hcXs4lN06T

“Disposable plastic straws are ban in Alaskan waters. Bring a large reusable one if you want to use it with your cup. They have paper straws on the ship.”

• Keep one water bottle per person. Refill it for shore excursions, etc., throughout the cruise.
  • Never bring/pack brand new shoes.
  • You will use your Cruise ID ALL OF THE TIME so come up with a handy place to keep it. Neck pouches, fanny packs, etc., work well.
“To save suitcase room, pack full outfits in a ziplock bag, vacuum the air out of the bag using a hose attachment; then quickly zip the bag shut before any air re-enters the bag. Packing full outfits this way makes getting dressed each day fairly convenient too.”

AMTRAK CASCADES

QtfFtgj5P4Y9k9v61AkfMAaeUc_d4WUH5p7rcUI_MnI7O1kJYk-y0jfLmP8Pq-5hCFg3Wn3fsxLDitSa_uzkAM-aqqaAW3enLOBNaAVG4Ez22pwiTiDeF7b0yx0Vn5bzN8YESMz2

Depending on where you are starting at, it may be significantly less expensive to fly into Seattle, instead of straight to Vancouver.

Frequently people who fly into Seattle take the Amtrak for a fun scenic 4 hour way of getting there. Many people report that this is the easiest way to get through customs into Canada. Unfortunately the train only departs twice a day 7:45 am and 6:50 pm requiring that you either have an early check in or a late arrival.

There are buses that have more convenient times, but they are still buses instead of the train.

“Because it was so fun and such a gorgeous ride, we thought of the Amtrak Cascades as the first excursion of our cruise”

GETTING FROM SEATAC (the airport in Seattle) TO DOWNTOWN/THE AMTRAK STATION

Lyft, Uber and Wingz provide services at Sea-Tac Airport on the third floor.

I0oOMnYsy1zODbUlsjFqO0P5GgENNcSzsQ1klnQpdsgaDz0RLCor1KcWcC9b6YJZGJdvmHsEy_eulMnjb4mQLk4FaMViovXdK1bb35XwqPfroYgOMf5U77R0KTg-kyfpNboFG39M

Rate calculators are available through each of the websites:

Lyft: Lyft Fare Calculator - Estimate Ride Costs

Uber: Uber Fare Estimator & Surge Prices

Wingz: Wingz - Airport Rides. Scheduled & On Time.

“It was super easy to get a ride into Seattle from the airport. I am type A, and this part stressed me out but it was honestly one of the easiest rides were able to find. We did not Uber, but were able to get a car service immediately. Pick up your bags. Go up the escalator, and through the tunnel. Turn left to the elevators. Go one level to the level that has car/ limo/ taxi service. Walk out of elevators approximately 50 feet to where there are car services with flat fees that can get you downtown. We paid $50 to get 5 of us and 5 large suitcases to downtown. No waiting. Easy peasy.”

I love this! Thanks for sharing!!

We're doing Alaska next summer, extended family, 11 of us total including a toddler and 4 other kids elementary through middle school ages. I like the Seattle-Vancouver train idea, but I'm wary of suggesting it for the entire group b/c of the added hassle with luggage, etc. I know my parents would love it for the scenic train ride alone, and my immediate family too, but my kids are the two oldest... and I don't think my parents will want to do it if we aren't ALL doing it. Am I overthinking the added hassle though? Does it sound as fun with small children, who aren't super-patient with all the trapped-in-moving-vehicle things and come with extra stuff?

We're doing Alaska next summer, extended family, 11 of us total including a toddler and 4 other kids elementary through middle school ages. I like the Seattle-Vancouver train idea, but I'm wary of suggesting it for the entire group b/c of the added hassle with luggage, etc. I know my parents would love it for the scenic train ride alone, and my immediate family too, but my kids are the two oldest... and I don't think my parents will want to do it if we aren't ALL doing it. Am I overthinking the added hassle though? Does it sound as fun with small children, who aren't super-patient with all the trapped-in-moving-vehicle things and come with extra stuff?

We did this with a group of 10 two summers go. It wasn't a hassle at all. We splurged for business class tickets - first on, first off, spacious seats, food coupon. Getting the taxis were the biggest challenge. Just because we needed three at one time. I believe we were all in our taxis in 15 minutes. We would do this again.

COMMON DISNEY CRUISE ACRONYMS AND WORDS

CC: Castaway Club (DCL Loyalty Program)

CM: Cast Member (Employee)

DCL: Disney Cruise Line

GF: Gluten Free (Disney takes all allergies very seriously)

GS: Guest Services

KTTW: Key to the World (your room key/id/charge card on the ship)

MDR: Main Dining Room (Triton’s, Tiana’s, and Animators Palate)

OBC: Onboard Credit

PAT: Port Arrival Time (when you can get on the ship) - correction, your PAT is not the time you get on the ship, but rather the no earlier than time for arriving at your departure port, and PATs are used to space guest arrivals to avoid overfilling the port terminal. PATs are selected during the online check-in process. Your PAT along with Castaway Club status will determine your boarding group number and given at port terminal check-in time. Concierge and Platinum Castaway Club guests comprise boarding group 1.

Port: The left hand side of the ship when facing the front. Cabins on the Port side will be numbered X0## or X1## where X is the deck number. Also, on port cabins, by the cabin number on the wall will be a clip in the shape of a fish which is used to hold messages for the cabin, as well as to hold the Fish Extender (FE).

Starboard: The right hand side of the ship when facing the front. Cabins on the Starboard side will be numbered X5## or X6## where X is the deck number. Also, on starboard cabins, by the cabin number on the wall will be a clip in the shape of a seahorse which is used to hold messages for the cabin, as well as to hold the Fish Extender (FE).

Forward: The front of the ship.

Aft: The back of the ship.

Quotes found online may include these acronyms

DD: Dear Daughter (many on these pages would say that the first "D" in these acronyms stands for "Disney" vice "Dear")

DS: Dear Son

DH: Dear Husband

DW: Dear Wife

MIL: Mother In Law (notice how it’s not DMIL)

DGS: Dear Grandson

SIL: Son in Law (also not dear)

FIL and DIL as well for in-laws, and DGD and DGS for granddaughter and grandson

There are many more than you can think of

I made some clarifications for the above in red as well as some notes of other things to add. I did not get into fish extenders (FE) and the gift program, but you may want to add that as well.

Last edited:
I made some clarifications for the above in red as well as some notes of other things to add. I did not get into fish extenders (FE) and the gift program, but you may want to add that as well.
You gave some awesome information, thank you, I've incorporated most of it.

VANCOUVER

“You want 2 or 3 days in Vancouver as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.”

Expect a 30 to 35-minute trip to downtown from airport.

A cab fare will run about $35 CDN/$31 US (to Pan Pacific or Cruise Terminal)

HOTELS

Only 3 hotels offer a free shuttle from hotel to Canada Place and they are:

1. Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.
  2. Hampton Inn (must be reserved, uncertain availability)
  3. Executive Vintage Park Hotel
However, a free shuttle isn’t necessary; as a cab fare from most downtown hotels to Canada Place is only $10 and in some cases you may even be able to easily walk it.

• It is very hard to find a downtown Vancouver hotel during the cruise season for much under $200 unless you bid on Priceline or use Hotwire.
The following are some of the most recommended hotels in Vancouver:

• Fairmont Waterfront- across the street from cruise terminal. “Luggage was picked up in our hotel room and taken to the ship”
  • Pan Pacific Hotel
Elevator ride to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

• their website prices are outrageous.
  • you can get a room on Hotwire for about half the listed rates on their website. Google for how to make sure you get the Pan!
  • Can call the bell desk, and ask someone to deliver bags to the cruise terminal.
  • Auberge Hotel
    • 2 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal
  • No shuttle to Canada Place Cruise Terminal
  • Microwave and refrigerator in every room
  • central to the pier. They even provide a service of transporting the bags for you and it is a really easy walk.
  • Blue Horizon. 5 minute cab ride to pier; they will reserve a taxi for you and assist with luggage. Very nice hotel right in the middle of everything and reasonable at around $150 US per night
    • On Robson Street is convenient to the cruise terminal. It’s a 30-story hotel and every room is on a corner, so it has views in two directions with city views, the cruise ships, mountains, the bay and float planes.
    • Its best to book the "Deluxe" rooms...they are on the higher floors and have been upgraded. The rooms are small but nicely done. The staff is friendly.
    • Taxi to cruise terminal was less than $10.00 CA.
    • A lot of shopping, entertainment, restaurants and Stanley park are all within walking distance. (or short cab ride if you don’t want to walk).
    • Breakfast at the Hotel restaurant: full breakfast $12; small fruit dish and muffin $8.
  • Hyatt on Burrard for about $150 a night. Very nice and central to a lot of dining and sightseeing options
  • Fairmont Pacific Rim
  • 1 block to Canada Place Cruise Terminal
  • Delta
    • 5 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal
    • Airport pick up available.
    • Taxi to harbor will be $15.00 Cdn or $13.00 US.
  • Days Inn Downtown $100 - $150 per night
    • 2 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal
  • Executive Hotel Le Soleil Vancouver
In downtown Vancouver near Robson Square

3 blocks from Canada Place Cruise Terminal

• Hampton Inn Suites Downtown
    • Robson street
    • Mini kitchen
    • Free internet
    • Free bfast
- Nice combination of Hampton Value and big city services (luggage storage room, concierge, luggage handlers, shuttle). Rooms were nice, modern, and clean. Breakfast was better than the Hampton average. The hotel also has a beautiful game room, exercise room, hot tub, and patio on the roof.

Taxi from airport $25. Taxi dock to Granville is 5 minutes walk. Hampton inn free shuttle to get to cruise terminal if you can reserve space in time.

• Time Square Suites Hotel
Apartment style hotel (full kitchen, living room, bathroom AND laundry). Taxi ride to port was around $8.00.

OTHER OPTIONS:

• Landmark
  • Pinnacle
  • Harbourfront
  • Westin Bayshore
  • Le Soleil
  • Marriott Pinnacle
VANCOUVER – EXCURSIONS

For 2017 at least the best deals are at http://www.vancouverattractions.com/ where booking multiple vancouver attractions at once will save a significant amount on the door prices.

• Sea2Sky gondola is a new attraction that offers alpine hiking trails
  • Canada Place Cruise Terminal – Fly Over Canada Experience (like a canadian version of Sorin’ over California)
Must do attractions are:

1) Grouse Mountain – www.grousemountain.com – this is a wonderful scenic mountain only about 15 mins from downtown Vancouver. Ride the airtram to the top for lots of fun activities that include a loggers show, birds of prey show, 2 movies (1 about the Vancouver area and 1 about the 2 Grizzly Bears who make their home on Grouse Mtn) ride a chair lift higher up the mountain to visit the wind turbine that generates approximately 30% of the power required for Grouse Mountain Resort and visit with 2 live Grizzly Bears.. Enjoy a meal in any of the restaurants. Caveat only spend the money to go up on a clear day.

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge – www.capbridge.com – this is Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction and I still enjoy visiting it! Located on Capilano Road just before you reach the Grouse Mountain parking lot. Walk across a suspension Bridge over the Capilano Gorge, wonder the trails thru the rain forest, walk thru the treetops on the new Tree Top Adventure, traverse a Cliff Top walk, visit the trading post for a huge selection of souvenirs, watch native weavers and/or carvers at work.

3) Capilano Fish Hatchery is also located on Capilano Road and is a great place to view salmon jumping up the fish ladders to get around the Cleveland Dam. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capilano_River_Regional_Park

4) Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge – www.lynncanyon.ca - is also located in North Vancouver and is much less touristy than Capilano but it also is not as spectacular. The bridge is slightly higher above the water but much shorter in span. Located in a Provincial Park this bridge comes with some nice hiking trails and you will find an ecology centre in the park as well as picnic tables and a food concession outlet. Should you choose to enjoy the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge always cross the suspension bridge first and then hike down the trail to the lower (Twin Falls wooden) bridge to cross back over the Lynn Valley River and return to your car – that way you are hiking downhill rather than uphill. It is also free to visit this suspension bridge!

5) Stanley Park – www.vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection near the Brockton Point Lighthouse, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, aquarium –www.vanaqua.org – many view points, and several restaurants.

6) Vancouver Aquarium – www.vanaqua.org – is Canada’s largest aquarium and is committed to the conservation of marine life and education. Located in Stanley Park this is a fun place for the family to visit.

7) Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

At the start of Gas Town is the

8)Harbor Centre Tower www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a bird's eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant. Your Lookout ticket is good for 24 hours. I like to go at twilight or sunset to see both night and dark at the same time. If you decide to have dinner at the Lookout.... your admission is free.

9) China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens www.vancouverchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

uTU8zjgMwMjEIdTYuaJYWrTwlrfBmI6ntP7FfzoeyVkMqWH2oiQYVV6UBcSF2wsn8y9VuhEx6PhsSyrmbxYLQv4YXu9ZVj_R-AQBMb5IAAkLd-M29hVj1sMU5L1-kKH3bd-DAF87

10) Granville Island – www.granvilleisland.com – is a huge public market area which not only sells fruit & veggies but you can also buy frozen fish to be shipped to your home. Many artists make this their home and you can watch them at work in their studios – making this a great place to buy unique souvenirs. The Granville Island Brewery is also located here and you can stop in for a free tour & tastes. There are theatres for live performances and many fine restaurants. Plan your visit to Granville Island when the Public Market is open. Activities may be limited at night. A fun way to get to Granville Island is via the Aquabus – www.theaquabus.com

11) Burnaby Village Museum – www.burnabyvillagemuseum.ca – is an open air museum with over 30 restored homes, shops, school, church and a 1912 carousel situated on 10 acres (not open on Mondays)

12) Gulf of Georgia Cannery – www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.com – is a restored fishing cannery located in the historic fishing village of Steveston (part of Richmond). Here you see exhibits that showcase the history of the fishing industry in British Columbia. Once finished in the museum it is great fun to walk along the fishing docks and see the fishing boats which are selling their catch. There are also some excellent restaurants located here.

13) The Vancouver Maritime Museum located on the shore of English Bay is fun for the whole family with lots of hands on exhibits for the kid in all of us. Here to you will find the ship St Roch which the RCMP sailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Northwest Passage and then completed the return journey in 1944. You actually get to tour this ship. www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

14) Queen Elizabeth Park www.vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth The 130 acre (52 hectare) park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Second only to Stanley Park in annual visitations, it receives nearly 6 million people a year who marvel at its superior standard of garden plantings.

The park was originally quarried for its rock which served to build Vancouver's first roadways. In 1929 the Board proceeded to acquire the property which had become an abandoned eyesore but still served as the site for two holding reservoirs for the City's drinking water. Dedicated as a park by King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen's mother) on their much lauded visit to Vancouver in 1939.

14b) Bloedel Conservatory a fun, family-friendly indoor attraction located at the peak of Vancouver in Queen Elizabeth Park. Discover 120 exotic birds and over 500 kinds of tropical plants inside the dome and then explore the fountains, gardens and sculptures around Queen Elizabeth Park

_sHckyD-AWV2tgPtmw5nTF8T2H7WUTwj6inC1G5f7ETdAZapjM3rAsXgcBcuE64aU9cdTp-H2uuC3kJjG5FZSf-a8dpDUPmuyW4HuKYC8io_8jt921wLqCMtNV9h2CTmT_NGepdH

15) Fort Langley is the restored wooden fort built by the Hudson’s Bay Company as a trading post. It is the origin of British Columbia and was the first capital. This Fort is operated by the Federal Parks Board. www.fortlangley.org

16) If you are a wine lover you might want to rent a car and spend a day visiting a few of the many excellent wineries located in the Fraser Valley only about a 1 hour drive from your hotel. Almost all of the wineries offer free tastes & tours. Two of the wineries have excellent restaurants on the premises. This makes for a very fun and relaxing day. Check out the Fraser Valley Wine Association web site for a map of winery locations and a brief description of each winery www.fvwa.ca

17) VanDusen Botanical Garden is a scenic 55- acre garden of international renown – a living museum of plants collected from around the world and artistically displayed amidst rolling lawns, woodlands and five tranquil lakes, all in the heart of Vancouver and just 15 minutes from downtown.

Due to Vancouver’s mild climate, plants bloom at the Garden year-round. This same climate creates a unique environment where plants from varying climate regions thrive and grow – at VanDusen you will see plants from the southern hemisphere, tropical areas and the high Arctic tundra alongside native species. The Elizabethan Maze (one of only six in North America) provides year-round fun.

18) UBC Botanical Garden located at the University of British Columbia covers 110 acres and includes an Alpine, Asian, Native, Food, and Japanese Gardens. www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org

19) Enjoy a FREE walking tour of Vancouver. The Gastown tour starts in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the statue of Gassy Jack in Gastown. The Downtown tour starts at the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the Olympic Cauldron. The Chinatown tour starts at the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the Chinese memorial statue. All of these tours start at 11am. The Granville Island Tour starts at 3pm at the bus stop just at the entrance to Granville Island. Check these tours out at www.tourguys.ca The Tour Guys have added an afternoon walking tour of Granville Island and 2 evening tours….

7OLuczUCvfu4KwCaeIaI2jcrEuk8borDhttzeL4kXrsMqF7Wv-tDaUpt5TAljuSnZuAw9qUvVg3Cpokwfvu4Xg5nFiMn3FOhSn9BudkmP_K0uq2rvrnADgL5YUxjEoHafNd9oevP

20) Science World at TELUS World of Science Ignite your mind and discover the wonders of science at Science World at TELUS World of Science. Immerse yourself in interactive indoor and outdoor displays, inspirational feature exhibitions, jaw-dropping live science demonstrations, and larger-than-life OMNIMAX® films.

There's even a gallery designed just for kids from 2 to 6.

Vancouver has hop-on hop-off buses

OTHER:
  • Signature Liquor store for best price and selection. Open 9:30am til 11 pm.Located at Alberni & Bute; it's near Robson
  • Harbour lookout Centre BC Liquor 10 am - 6pm. Few block from port. The Harbour Center liquor store is not open Sundays pre-cruise... a problem for Wonder cruisers departing on Monday's.
EATING IN VANCOUVER

• Restaurant mentions/recommendations on Cruise Boards:
    • Kirin on Alberni Street, a Chinese restaurant
    • For breakfast: White Spot on Dunsmuir and Homer, a chain restaurant that serves breakfast and other comfort foods
  • Recommendations for Breakfast:
    • Scoozis – sit-down breakfast for $12 or less (chalkboard specials sometimes even cheaper) - or if pancakes absolutely must be had, the De Dutch location at the Convention Centre and has much more substantial offerings.
    • Tim Hortons (I don’t know, this is the ubiquitous Canadian breakfast spot, try it out!)

DISNEY CRUISE LINE NAVIGATOR APP

Download from the Google Play or Apple store the FREE Disney Cruise Line Navigator app on your phone/ipad before you leave/board so that you are not using data to download it. Then activate it when you’re on the ship.

oK1j_sYhTDOUDgmG59BrDjPy412aR0JzLED0-1BS2hdMIDJbbMLji15Hsb1jIm6ITu3sZ035Ltxll0eNTpqtJA1iCoXfBZIFlBSi_5mR-zHggQOPH1Bz34rMrmyFgRs6L7WXlyM4

• This allows texting between guests
  • take a few minutes (for example, during lunch) to set up everyone’s phones so you can text each other.
  • Free to use on board through the ship's wifi system, but you will not be charged if this is the only thing you utilize the ship's wifi for
Even if you put your phone on Airplane Mode, this app can be used to see all the movie times, event times, menus for every restaurant, etc for each day. Use the calendar on the top right to change days. It will even give you disembarkation information (be sure to read the info before your 2nd to last day on the ship).

Used the app to plan out days on the ship; users can "favorite" events, plan their day, and even send messages to other app users on the ship. The app sends you event reminders 15 minutes ahead of time

(People report finding more activities on the Navigator app than on the paper version.)

qNJgMS0TiGqDgRROniRexFGBuZfS76iqwuVgvXmPLjYT2T-zZoxTTgPiT-osors51OPhpvDVo23QJKjCMqqNnFWa2zahnNAxfxcyZWZxDDuqmdCVVvhnwo5v5cwVv8EM2FE7wI3n
ZKDpNSOm5YOv-coAOKjM2u8Gjhav0RpOjZyXFMyuD-5aL8gwt8Z5MQWuVywvJoPwewIu298v_pSaPLogDpaSSuFd3IjObUhjfqs9q5uUlvGb_DwL3gNDBdAvTkexiT4WhbJ1AULf

Because there is no phone signal the app’s texting feature is a great replacement, every phone will be tagged with it’s own number and works just like texting but with a ton of super adorable Disney emoji’s

veJjThW4inxe5NEwpUzN0e5qsYnw4wDHegXEYW6Ubee0PLwtU0C0yXHVbcnajEzaa0Et4FU5c2RbV0TOyS3nVGhZY4Z-NBL5SyMNfgqQO0VzbXZjmqiyoT1k3xILMnympIzcP1ma

Thanks for letting me know! My group is only 6 people, but a big reason we want to do it is that it is such a pretty way to travel, honestly I'd be excited just to take this train, and for the 6 of us (2 kids) it will only cost 160, compared to the excursions it's practically free, but almost as cool. And it does something useful!!

The only thing I'd point out here is the message 'holder':
The fish for port and seahorse for starboard only works for Dream class ships. The Magic and Wonder only have fish.
I just don't want someone getting confused and think there's only port side rooms lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!