The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

The problem is that this was billed as a 90% makeover. I don't see it as that at all. Frankly, the items that would most need renovation after 20 years in ANY residence is going to be the kitchen and bathrooms. I doubt that paint and cheap floor coverings along with adding a few new window treatments really classifies as a total renovation. Other timeshares do pretty complete ones, and I would expect Disney to do just as much.

Wow Diane, I did not realize this renovation is being touted as 90% makeover :eek: ( DH & I must have missed that info, & will need to be paying closer attention to what's going on at our OKW home! )

I agree with you, I don't see how :confused: This is their definition of 90% ??? kitchen cabinets were not even replaced !!

Now I'm really feeling like we are being bamboozled here :mad:

Wow Diane, I did not realize this renovation is being touted as 90% makeover :eek: ( DH & I must have missed that info, & will need to be paying closer attention to what's going on at our OKW home! )

I agree with you, I don't see how :confused: This is their definition of 90% ??? kitchen cabinets were not even replaced !!

Now I'm really feeling like we are being bamboozled here :mad:
I got that 90% number from the manager at OKW back when the renovations first started. I was asking about what was being renovated, and that's when he said it was a 90% reno and that a group of OKW owners had been invited to give advice on picking furniture and flooring etc.

The funny thing is that with the exception of the bed in the master, they really didn't change the furnishings....They just repainted them.

It isn't really the blinds that are the issue, but rather the roman shades on the French doors. We didn't have any issues with the blinds behind the sofas at all.

Well, we won't have to worry about those either. With no one sleeping in the living room, we'll just keep them up the whole time :)

Well, we won't have to worry about those either. With no one sleeping in the living room, we'll just keep them up the whole time :)
Unfortunately, I like to lounge around in night wear both in the evening and morning, so I usually close them.

Unfortunately, I like to lounge around in night wear both in the evening and morning, so I usually close them.
Same with us, especially at night. I just feel like I'm in a fish bowl if the blinds/shades are open at night.

Same with us, especially at night. I just feel like I'm in a fish bowl if the blinds/shades are open at night.

We do too, I guess it just doesn't both me. I can see where it could bother some one though. With 2 teenage boys roaming around, I have nothing it hide :lmao::lmao:

I'm resurrecting this one.

We just stayed in an OKW studio. Between this & our last OKW stay we also stayed at SSR & BCV......both studios. I do have to say that they really botched the "updates" at OKW.

The 2BR we stayed in previously was just OK. The studio leaves a lot to be desired. The dresser & nightstand don't match. The carpet was worn. The dresser was already worn & didn't close right. Honestly, it was poor at best.

Additionally, more housekeeping & engineering issues. We found "residue" from a previous guest in the dresser. One kitchenette light did not work. Engineering came for that & it started smoking when he tried to fix it. Had to call the electrician. Housekeeping re-cleaned but left the stuff in the drawer. They did comp us 2 park hoppers for our trouble, but that's not the point & we told the manager that. It should be right. It's not that hard.

Icing on the cake was calling bell services this morning because we transferred to AKV & they told me they could get someone there in an hour! Luckily, we had a car so just did it ourselves but if not it would have a major pain. I was pretty annoyed but chose not to complain. Maybe I should have.

So far we are enjoying Kidani Village. Right now I feel as if my loved home resort of OKW has a lot of work to do to be considered a top notch resort.

We just stayed in an OKW studio. Between this & our last OKW stay we also stayed at SSR & BCV......both studios. I do have to say that they really botched the "updates" at OKW.

The 2BR we stayed in previously was just OK. The studio leaves a lot to be desired. The dresser & nightstand don't match. The carpet was worn. The dresser was already worn & didn't close right. Honestly, it was poor at best.

Additionally, more housekeeping & engineering issues. We found "residue" from a previous guest in the dresser. One kitchenette light did not work. Engineering came for that & it started smoking when he tried to fix it. Had to call the electrician. Housekeeping re-cleaned but left the stuff in the drawer. They did comp us 2 park hoppers for our trouble, but that's not the point & we told the manager that. It should be right. It's not that hard.

Icing on the cake was calling bell services this morning because we transferred to AKV & they told me they could get someone there in an hour! Luckily, we had a car so just did it ourselves but if not it would have a major pain. I was pretty annoyed but chose not to complain. Maybe I should have.

So far we are enjoying Kidani Village. Right now I feel as if my loved home resort of OKW has a lot of work to do to be considered a top notch resort.

I agree - the updates were really just patches. The painted furniture is chipping - the bathroom mirror is chipping - the caulking in the bathroom is chipping - and the blinds on the patio door are chipping me!!

Housekeeping has always been an issue at OKW. They don't take the time to really clean the units properly and I don't know how often a supervisor checks their work. On our last visit - (we smoke) - the smoking sand container at the pool was only cleaned about every three or four days - is was disgusting. Yes, if we would call then would send someone to take care of whatever issue there is - my feeling is that the issues shouldn't exist.

The dresser drawers should be clean - the lights should be in working order when you check in - the new carpet around the kitchen area is impossible to keep clean.

The updates were band-aids - - old furniture painted - etc. etc. etc.

But I still love OKW best - no matter what!!

I completely understand your issues. It saddens me that our wonderful home resort is now the "ugly step sister". The decor no longer really matches the theme, and the lack of quality in the materials used to "update" is appalling. Now just don't expect the housekeeping to be tons better at Kidani. We found things were a bit better there this time cleaning wise compared to our last AKV trip, but there are issues. Kidani seems to have better housekeeping than Jambo though.

I completely understand your issues. It saddens me that our wonderful home resort is now the "ugly step sister". The decor no longer really matches the theme, and the lack of quality in the materials used to "update" is appalling. Now just don't expect the housekeeping to be tons better at Kidani. We found things were a bit better there this time cleaning wise compared to our last AKV trip, but there are issues. Kidani seems to have better housekeeping than Jambo though.
Well, speaking of Kidani housekeeping. We are staying here on cash for 2 nights with a member discount. Imagine my surprise when we returned to the room & no housekeeping had been done. I called & was told that because we were on a member discount we were not to receive housekeeping. I had never heard of this & had no idea. Is this normal & correct?

I inquired as to why paying over $400 a night here as compared to AKV was any different. I was so angry. I told them that all our towels were laying in the bathtub & I expected to get clean ones without being charged.

Maybe I'm wrong about what I expected but I should have been informed of the policy then.

And also, your right about OKW now being the "ugly step sister". It's almost like "oh, you poor thing, you own at OKW.". It's disappointing.

Well, speaking of Kidani housekeeping. We are staying here on cash for 2 nights with a member discount. Imagine my surprise when we returned to the room & no housekeeping had been done. I called & was told that because we were on a member discount we were not to receive housekeeping. I had never heard of this & had no idea. Is this normal & correct?

I inquired as to why paying over $400 a night here as compared to AKV was any different. I was so angry. I told them that all our towels were laying in the bathtub & I expected to get clean ones without being charged.

Maybe I'm wrong about what I expected but I should have been informed of the policy then.

When you get a cash reservation via MS, it is treated just like a points stay.

That's the way it has always been. From the Member's Web site:

Housekeeping Services

Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
Provide fresh bathroom linens.
Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both. With Full-Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

Change the bed linens.
Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
Clean the bathroom(s).
Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

When you get a cash reservation via MS, it is treated just like a points stay.
I guess you learn something new everyday. I did not know that. Had I, I would have considered paying a little more to get the service as I was already paying a lot to begin with.

Are all the studios finished in regards to the upgrades/refurbishing? We've got a three day stay in a studio in a few weeks and was wondering about the progress. We asked for something on Millers Road.

All OKW refurbishments were completed by early 2011.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter