The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

Ugh hope Staci is feeling better. I look like bert beats me from all the bruises around all my bites from all the scratching. Not as bad as Stacie I just scratch till I bleed and have major bruising from the scratching.

Feel better staci!

Quoting doesn't seem to be working so I'll reply without it.

Kris
I have to do "administrative" stuff all day. I love the days when I get do stay in the office and crank out some cool data viz's. I have pretty easy departments to manage, but you'll do fine. I tell my new managers that the job is actually easy. It only takes 3 things.
  1. Make sure everyone knows what you expect from them.
  2. Give them the tools to do it.
  3. Get out of their way and let them get it done.
They walk away thinking, "Wow, that does sound easy." But then I say; "And it also helps to hire really talented people. :D"

Michael
Sorry to hear about Stacey's foot. Sounds like you need to load her up with Benadryl and steroids before you come down each year. None of us got any bites/marks this year either.
I hope she's feeling better.

j

Piggy Backing off Teamubr
Kris you'll do fine A long time ago right after achieving rank of Sgt. in USAF I was made Squad leader for 8 insane rabid Airborne Cops Found a way to keep them in line trained and motivated If I can do you it you can
Michael I was going to paraphrase The Dublin Times social pages line regarding a social event "The GSP Dismeet was a rousing success Among the injured are ..." but reading about your poor and sainted wife I think better of it. Would Mosquito repellent soap from BASIN help if so let me know and when we are there in Dec I will make sure to get her a bar

Well I went to visit my son this weekend who graduated from Bama in May and took a job in southern Indiana. He's in a small town where the local movie house is charging a whole $7 on a Saturday night for movies like Pirates5.

pirates5logo-147846.jpg

For $7 it was entertaining. A little quick with the whole "who has the pirate compass and which way is it pointing" but for $7 it was entertaining. I sat through all the closing credits which rolled forever. But then I saw the preview of the next P6 at the very end....
and then DD decided to call from home in Alabama....right at that moment.... UGH!
making the quick decision, I stepped out into the hallway to take her call. DW stayed to see it and gave me the update....
so it was worth $7 (and we didn't get a boatload of previews before the show like we do at home).
After all, it's just a movie.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I managed to see it with my DD12 locally. Matinee was $6. We managed to avoid the concession stand too.

I like the POTC movies, but I have to say that this one was my least favorite. Glad I only paid $6 each.

Anyone know the price of bike rentals lately? Also, if I remember correctly, tents can go on the grass, right? I had to cancel my last trip planned for the gulf a few years ago, so it's been awhile since I've been there. I don't remember the 500 tent sites, but there is one coming up available. I think that those might be a distance away, but not sure.

Anyone know the price of bike rentals lately? Also, if I remember correctly, tents can go on the grass, right? I had to cancel my last trip planned for the gulf a few years ago, so it's been awhile since I've been there. I don't remember the 500 tent sites, but there is one coming up available. I think that those might be a distance away, but not sure.

maxine,

are you talking about next may or just a visit to gulf this summer? the Primitive sites at Gulf are long the main road set amongst small trees and behind them are sites 296 to 311. I believe they have no utilities at all and because of the brush and trees probably don't get much breeze. So yeah the Primitives are not near our general cluster but a tent can go on the grass of any campsite. Note in the reservation tool when you pick an available site number and it shows the details for that site, scroll to the bottom and they have one (1) picture you can click on that will show a little bigger the site. I'd say any on Sumac can take a tent on the grass off to the side.

I recall seeing many bikes available at the Gulf camp store in the pavilion shared with the laundry room (nice) across from the pool. IIRC they had a little license plate under the seat that said they belong to Beach Bike Rentals in Orange Beach http://beachbikerentalsorangebeach.com/ . On their website it says $25/day or $85/week for a cruiser so I would expect something similar for those of theirs at the store.

Bama Ed

maxine,

are you talking about next may or just a visit to gulf this summer? the Primitive sites at Gulf are long the main road set amongst small trees and behind them are sites 296 to 311. I believe they have no utilities at all and because of the brush and trees probably don't get much breeze. So yeah the Primitives are not near our general cluster but a tent can go on the grass of any campsite. Note in the reservation tool when you pick an available site number and it shows the details for that site, scroll to the bottom and they have one (1) picture you can click on that will show a little bigger the site. I'd say any on Sumac can take a tent on the grass off to the side.

I recall seeing many bikes available at the Gulf camp store in the pavilion shared with the laundry room (nice) across from the pool. IIRC they had a little license plate under the seat that said they belong to Beach Bike Rentals in Orange Beach http://beachbikerentalsorangebeach.com/ . On their website it says $25/day or $85/week for a cruiser so I would expect something similar for those of theirs at the store.

Bama Ed

I was planning on going this week. I noticed that some sites in the 500 range showed up for random dates this week, but couldn't find them on the map. I did find a nice site in the 20's and grabbed that while it was available. I'm hoping to be able to put my feet in the ocean this week.

I have a bike that I would love to take, but Murphy has moved in permanently here, and it has two flat tires......

What is your site number Maxine ? An air pump or tubes would be cheaper than a rental bike. As a matter of fact Walmart has cheap cruisers for $89 and if you don't want to carry it home give it away when you're done.

I had typed out a long answer similar to Ed but deleted it because I thought there was a chance you were talking about Fort Wilderness with the 500 tent sites comment. But seriously tents are allowed on any site and yes you can put them in the grass or shade if you get lucky enough to have that. Be warned that in the evenings biting yellow flies are terrible. The only thing we found to slow them down any was the Cutter brand 25% deet spray.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!