The Incredibles Join the High-Speed Action When Incredicoaster Opens this Summer at DCA

dina444444

DIS Veteran
jsdgsv.jpg

This summer will bring a transformed land to Disney California Adventure park with Pixar Pier, featuring the Incredicoaster – a new experience featuring characters from “The Incredibles.” A super combination of character figures, lighting and special effects will bring the action to life as the Parr family races alongside you in an attempt to catch baby Jack-Jack! In the video below, the Imagineers creating this experience tell you more about the Incredicoaster story and how they approach storytelling on a high-speed attraction.

Experience the Incredicoaster this summer at Disney California Adventure park!

Source

It does sound fun and a great use of the Incredibles but the enclosed tubes really limits the lovely views.

I really like this idea. It finally gives that Disney touch of theming to a 6 Flags/Knott's Berry Farm-type ride. Just like they did with the Orange Stinger (Silly Symphony Swings) and Mulholland Madness (Goofy's Sky School).

But I do see one drawback. The rollercoaster has a 48 inch limit. For most kids, they don't hit 48 inches until they're 7 or 8. I happen to have a really tall girl who hit 48 inches at 6, but that is not the norm. My first child hit it at 8 and my second at 7. There will be a lot of kids who really want to ride "the Incredibles ride", but won't be able to until they're much older. It's not a problem for us as we're all grown, but I can see this being a problem just one year ago, and it will be an issue for many families with 5yo kids.

I know there's nothing they can do about it. I just hope they add something on Pixar Pier that people of all ages/heights can do.

This summer will be our 1st time there. Hoping it's open and hoping all the original aspects of what I read about CS are there.

Sound fun, but I'll have to stick to the videos once it opens! It's going to be one huge motion-sickness party for a lot of people, even some who don't get sick on 'regular' coasters. Screens + coaster? Yikes!

Just scheduled my first trip to Disneyland for the 1st week of June 2018. Looks like a lot of refurbishment will still be going on.

Sound fun, but I'll have to stick to the videos once it opens! It's going to be one huge motion-sickness party for a lot of people, even some who don't get sick on 'regular' coasters. Screens + coaster? Yikes!
I'll try it and I was miserable on GOTG and won't be returning. I think it will be much easier to close eyes on this one as there are just a couple tunnels.

I know there's nothing they can do about it. I just hope they add something on Pixar Pier that people of all ages/heights can do.

Pixar Pier isn't just the Incredibles coaster. It will still have Toy Story Mania, re-themed Fun Wheel, and re-themed Games of the Boardwalk. There will be a new family friendly Inside Out ride. So the only thing not for people of all ages/heights will be the coaster.

I must have missed it, but where did they mention screens?

But I do see one drawback. The rollercoaster has a 48 inch limit. For most kids, they don't hit 48 inches until they're 7 or 8. I happen to have a really tall girl who hit 48 inches at 6, but that is not the norm. My first child hit it at 8 and my second at 7. There will be a lot of kids who really want to ride "the Incredibles ride", but won't be able to until they're much older. It's not a problem for us as we're all grown, but I can see this being a problem just one year ago, and it will be an issue for many families with 5yo kids.

Bold mine.

This is a fair point. I thought 48" was usually a bit earlier for kids. Admittedly, my 6yo grandson is 46" inches, and he still seems "so young" (haha), so I was thinking, "No, Grandson is short and almost there, so most kids must hit it at late 5 or early 6!" And then I pulled up the CDC growth curves online and got the following information:

BOYS: Tallest 5% of boys will reach 48" at 5.5yo
Shortest 5% of boys will reach 48" at 8.75yo
GIRLS: Tallest 5% of girls will reach 48" at 5.75yo
Shortest 5% of girls will reach 48" at 8.75yo

They are cutting out a HUGE demographic for this ride. I understand (and am not arguing!) the safety aspect. I just hadn't put much thought into how younger kids will take the themeing.... It's one thing when they can't ride a coaster that looks big and scary, but it's another thing when it's themed to their favorite superhero family!

Do you guys think part of the reifurb will be new cars for the rides? Maybe they have thought about the height thing and will change the restraints? Have no clue but yeah.. we are going here in a week but my 5 year old wouldn’t be tall enough and he would be disappointed

Do you guys think part of the reifurb will be new cars for the rides? Maybe they have thought about the height thing and will change the restraints? Have no clue but yeah.. we are going here in a week but my 5 year old wouldn’t be tall enough and he would be disappointed
The concept art I've seen for it has nearly identical ride vehicles and restraints, so I can't imagine the height minimum decreasing :(

What else is down?
Screamin', King Triton's Carousel (I think), Ariel's Grotto (dining), Boardwalk games and the stores over that way, and Mickey's Fun Wheel are all expecting changes as the area moves from Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier. They have said initial opening is slated for summer, which could mean anywhere from May to August, but bets are hedging for an opening around Memorial Day weekend.

Little confused about the concern over height-it’s 48” now, isn’t it?
Yes, it's 48" now. The point in my above comment, as well as the poster who's post I was answering, is that themeing it into the Incredicoaster makes it really attractive to kids who love the Incredibles, but are too small to ride the coaster... Basically, I am just saying that what right now isn't a "movie" themed coaster is going to become one, and so an attraction many younger kids may have ignored (or accepted "you're too small to ride") until now is going to become a lot more attractive in a number of months... but they are likely going to be very interested in it now that it has the Incredibles all over it, and be sad that they aren't big enough for it.

To look at it a different way--imagine if they rethemed Indiana Jones to, say, Doc McStuffins. Sure, preschoolers would have looked at Indy and said, "I wish," but they would accept that it was too big/scary for them. Retheme it to Doc and her fluffy stuffy friends, and you'd have a million preschoolers suddenly noticing the ride and begging to ride it, but not tall enough. The average-height child is around 6 years old when they reach 46" (the height requirement for Indy). Same difference for Screamin'/Incredicoaster.

All the ughs in the world about all of this.

It finally gives that Disney touch of theming to a 6 Flags/Knott's Berry Farm-type ride. Just like they did with the Orange Stinger (Silly Symphony Swings) and Mulholland Madness (Goofy's Sky School).

All of which I despise. I do not understand why they had to change those things. Now, I won’t ride either of the already-te-themed things (sky school is horribly scary to me and there’s a firm NOPE on swings I’d death), but they were awesome looking before having Disney thrown up all over them.

(My son likes the two rides, and he’s fine riding SS alone since I won’t go and Dh doesn’t fit, and they ride the swings while I make sure DH’s will is in order, but he would have ridden them without the Disney stuff...he was just waiting to be tall enough)

And this new part is just depressing to me.

I have never felt that those things had some sort of “lesser” theme park quality, and I wish they hadn’t dine what they did. But I grew up at what was then Marriott’s Great America, which I felt was a pretty darned terrific park, so I don’t have the same biases that others do. And I definitely don’t need Disney plastered over everything. Sometimes subtlety is nice.

DCA already took most of what I loved from the first moment I stepped foot in the gates (in 2007) and destroyed it, and now they’ve pretty much finished it off.

BOYS: Tallest 5% of boys will reach 48" at 5.5yo

Yep. My son was about 75% until the last couple years (he’s pretty much above the height percentile line now) and was over 48” at 6.5 when we first went to Wdw and Uni. Since Uni allows 48” (and meet the height req) to ride aolo, this was excellent for his incessant coaster rerides.

To look at it a different way--imagine if they rethemed Indiana Jones to, say, Doc McStuffins.

Great way to describe it. :)

I really like this idea. It finally gives that Disney touch of theming to a 6 Flags/Knott's Berry Farm-type ride. Just like they did with the Orange Stinger (Silly Symphony Swings) and Mulholland Madness (Goofy's Sky School).

Great point. I think this is what differentiates DL in general from universal, and why we have still never given up a DL day for US. my children are giants, and my daughter was tall enough for screamin at 5. My son just turned 4, and he's 46" and was dying to go on screamin' last time as it is. By the next time we go he should be fine, but that's my kids who are like the 95+ percentile. We are probably just now approaching the time when my kids could ride stuff at universal studios and make it worth it. Making a kids-themed ride not accessible to most kids under 7 at a park is really kind of silly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter