The Jefferson in Washington DC

Daydreamin

DVC Member/BWV 2000
We're planning on heading to Washington DC next summer and stay at the Jefferson on points. Calling at the beginning of the week and trying to decide what size room to request. There will be 4 of us...DH, DD (12), DS (10) and myself. I'm thinking that we should try and get a 1 bdr in order to stand each other for the 5 days we'll be in DC. Has anyone stayed in the 1 bdr or the other rooms? What would you recommend?

Also, I've been looking at airfares...with all the options, I'm having a hard time trying to decide what airport to fly into? Any recommendations.

We'll be touring the area when we're not in DC...Philly, Gettysburg, Monticello/Charlottesville and the Williamsburg area. From what I can see we're going to have a very busy 2 weeks. Have I missed anything big?

That's quite a trip that you have planned.

I'm giving this a nudge back to the top.

Hopefully, someone who's visited the Jefferson can tell you about the accommodations.

Things you missed:

The beaches, Hershey Park, Baltimore's Inner Harbor, Winterthur & the Brandywine Valley (do a search on this one), Longwood Gardens, Atlantic City..

Are any of these close to where you are going...yes & no...Winterthur & Longwood Gardens are either on your way to or nearby Philadelphia. Baltimore is about 60 miles from Washington (I think). Hershey is about an hour from Gettysburg. Oh while at Gettysburg one of the President's homes is nearby...Eisenhower? Truman? Whichever its a fascinating trip back to 1960's.

do they have a separate bedroom? I was wondering b/c I have 3 children and thought we might not be able to stay here. Most hotels only have sleeping arrangements for up to 4 people. Is the Jefferson different????

Thanks for posting.
Denise

BWVDenise - In the Concierge Collection points chart...the rooms listed for the Jefferson are 1 bdr Suite, Luxury and Deluxe. I'd bet that 4 is the maximum, but don't really know.

Thanks for the bump dvcreg.

doubletree_vb: Appreciate the info...we'll definitely take a side trip to Hershey Park and Eisenhower's/Truman's when we're at Gettysburg.

Getting back to one of my questions....Can anyone tell me about the 1 bdr suites at the Jefferson. Looking for size info or anything about them.

We stayed at the Jefferson last 4th of July. While it was a lovely hotel, it was not what we were expecting/wanting and we won't stay there again. It's an older hotel, and it doesn't have a lot of the conveniences that you expect-- everything has to be done through the front desk, ice, parking, whatever (read TIPS). There isn't a free parking lot either. There's a small parking area that only holds about 4 cars and they encourage people to park in their garage, which is $20 a night. Also, it's quite a hike to where the action is-- something like 10 blocks. It was a tough walk when you're tired. Not to mention when you're trying to tote your picnic stuff. And taxis aren't easy to come by after the fireworks, let me tell you!!! Next time we'll look into one of the hotels closer to the Capital and save our points.

We stayed at the Jefferson this past 4th of July weekend with our then 11 month old and had a wonderful time. The hotel is 4 blocks behind the white house, which is where we opted to watch the fireworks. The mall area is a good walk from the hotel. We used the subway on days when we were too tired or hot to make the walk. There is a subway stop 2 blocks from the hotel. We stayed in a luxury king room. It was wonderful. There were only 3 other rooms on our floor, and only one of those was occupied. Definitely no problems with noise :D

The room was 550sq. feet with a huge bathroom and a full entertainment center with VCR, stereo and video game center. The staff was wonderful. We paid $100.00 to have our car parked in their garage, but thanks to this board we were aware of the fee before we left; therefore, it was no surprise.

DC is great for saving money on attractions, for everything is free. The museums, the monuments, the zoo, don't cost anything to enter.

The only thing that threw us about the hotel's location is that because it is in the business area, most of the restaurants close after 4pm. We managed though and found that about 6 blocks to the left of the hotel, near Ford's Theater, there is a Hard Rock Cafe, ESPN club and other fun restaurants. There is also a food court near the subway stop closest to the hotel. There's also a great Irish restaurant called Mackeys a few blocks to the right.

We highly recommend Gettysburg, as it was our favorite stop on our July trip. We also recommend the Balitmore Aquarium, which is only an hour outside of DC and is spectacular.

If you have any other questions about the hotel or DC, please let me know. I just love telling people about our first DVC trip!:D

look for hotels that are on or very close to the metro line. If you don't know about the metro, it's a really impressive and efficient public transportation system. We stayed in a place called Crystal City (I think) once which was not even in DC but very convenient due to the metro and also WAY cheaper than a DC hotel. Another time we stayed in an Embassy Suites which was not a bad price during the weekend but went way up during the week. This was good for us because of the two rooms and free breakfast/evening snacks. (The hotels cater to business people so the prices are cheaper during the weekend but go up quite a bit during the work week.) Also, just a little advice: I'm not sure how long you plan on spending in Washington but here's something we learned. You will never see everything and the monuments are so big they look much closer than they actually are. The first time we went it looked like the Washington Monument was right in front of us but I swear we walked for miles. The second time we got a pass on one of those touring trolleys. Smartest thing we ever did. We saw much more and were not nearly as grumpy at the end of the day.
Whatever you decide, I know you'll have a great trip! You have some great things planned!

We stayed at the Jefferson several years ago. We had a group of 6 and stayed in a 2 bedroom. We thought the sofa in the living room was a sofa bed. It was not and we had to have a roll away. There was not room for 2 so one of the boys slept on the sofa. The bathroom in our room was so small that we had to shut the door to get to the sink. We may have just been unlucky, but our experience wasn't as good as some people. You really need to find out about the sofa bed before you book a 1 bedroom. They tried to charge us for the roll aways but Disney fixed it. The 2 bedroom said it sleeps 6, but without a sofa bed it does not. Hope this has helped some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter