The "M" in Beauty and the Beast (2017)

kbmartin

DIS Veteran
I'm watching Beauty and the Beast (2017) once again. The first time I saw it, I noticed that in the ballroom (1st scene of the movie), there is a large "M" on the floor. I always wondered what it meant and could never find out an answer. I noticed now that there is also an "M" stitched into the blankets on the Beast's bed (you can see it when Belle is tending to him while he is ill). Does anyone have any inkling or clue into what it could mean? It has been driving me crazy long enough! Thank you!

This says the floor is a nod to Walt Disney:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...ast-new-castles-hidden-nod-walt-disney-987062

"The floor of the film's castle was made from 12,000 square feet of faux marble, based on a pattern found on the ceiling of the Benedictine Abbey in the Czech Republic. If you look closely, the team also placed a monogram in the middle of the floor. What initials did they choose? W.D., which, says Greenwood, is a “quiet homage to Walt Disney. Also the W was lovely.” (The monogram also appears on the back of the throne)."

As for the bedding, I didn't notice that! Will have to fire up the blu-ray player. Is the monogram the same?

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense now.

I thought the bedding monogram looked like an "M," but I suppose that doesn't make sense now. I'd be curious what you think if you happen to check out that scene in particular.

Okay, I keep watching the scene, and I think I see where you mean. The gold stitching on the foot of the blanket?

I *think* it's maybe just a design of leaves, but I'm primed to see it as an "M" now. The only "M" I could think of related to this is.... master? It looks like there is matching stitching on the other side as well, kind of where you might expect the bed skirt.

On the headboard, though, when they're talking about books -- the design looks a lot like the monogram from the ballroom floor, so I guess that one is the "W" or "WD"

New conspiracy theory, they inscribed a bunch of set props with WD and these will be used for a redesign of the Cinderella Castle suite. Or something :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter