The NBA Bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's because they're the ones participating in and contributing to the (violent riots) in NY, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, etc.
And maybe you should also do some research in that not everyone involved in the current equality movement is not about riots. Some of those riots are started by people just looking to make these movements look like the bad guy in all of this. There is an equality issue in this country. It’s not just the black community either. The LBGT community, the Hispanic community, etc. If you can’t recognize that there are problems in this country than you are part of the problem.

Absolutely, no doubt, legitimate peaceful protest are hijacked everyday by anarchist. Unfortunately, as soon as the first glass is broken, or first spray can of paint comes out, it's no longer a protest. It's a riot. At that point, if the police tell the peaceful rioters to get off the street and they don't, they should be arrested. And sorry, you can't let anarchy continue to protect peaceful protesters.

Everyday a policeman walks out of his/her door, there's a distinct possibility that it could be the last day he/she may see his/her spouse or children. They take their lives in their hands everyday. EVERYDAY. Sorry, but if a policeman says show me your hands and you don't show him your hands, he has the right to shoot you period. FBI statistics show that there are more police shootings of unarmed white men, then black men in this country on a yearly basis. Look it up. You may say that it's because whites make up a much higher percentage of the population. True, but FBI statistics also say that blacks commit a vastly higher per capita number of violent crimes, which means there's going to be a much higher number of adverse interactions with police. The higher the number of adverse interactions, the higher the chance something bad is going to happen. Are there bad apples in the police department? Yes. Do they weed them out once they're identified. Yes. Are there bad apples in every profession and every aspect of life. Yes. Unfortunately having bad apples in the Police Department can be catastrophic, so taking a little individual responsibility, not putting oneself in a position to potentially have an adverse interaction might be a solution. Also I personally believe that Policemen working in a war zone like Chicago day in, day out, takes a personal toll, and should be removed from the street after a number of years, for his/her own health as well as others. That may be a potential solution.

Just saying racial inequality doesn't specifically identify the problem. Give me specifics. Blaming other people (the police) or races for ones own problems isn't the answer, it's called racism.

Last edited:
Absolutely, no doubt, legitimate protest are hijacked everyday by anarchist. Unfortunately, as soon as the first glass is broken, or first spray can of paint comes out, it's no longer a protest. It's a riot. At that point, if the police tell the peaceful protesters to get off the street and they don't they should be arrested. And sorry, you can't let anarchy continue to protect peaceful protesters.

Everyday a policeman walks out of his/her door, there's a distinct possibility that it could be the last day he/she may see his/her spouse or children. They take their lives in their hands everyday. EVERYDAY. Sorry, but if a policeman says show me your hands and you don't show him your hands, he has the right to shoot you period. FBI statistics show that there are more police shootings of unarmed white men, then black men in this country on a yearly basis. Look it up. You may say that it's because whites make up a much higher percentage of the population. True, but FBI statistics also say that blacks commit a vastly higher per capita number of violent crimes, which means there's going to be a much higher number of adverse interactions with police. The higher the number of adverse interactions, the higher the chance something bad is going to happen. Are there bad apples in the police department? Yes. Do they weed them out once they're identified. Yes. Are there bad apples in every profession and every aspect of life. Yes. Unfortunately having bad apples in the Police Department can be catastrophic, so taking a little individual responsibility, not putting oneself in a position to potentially have an adverse interaction might be a solution. Also I personally believe that Policemen working in a war zone like Chicago day in, day out, takes a personal toll, and should be removed from the street after a number of years, for his/her own health as well as others. That may be a potential solution.

Just saying racial inequality doesn't specifically identify the problem. Give me specifics. Blaming other people (the police) or races for ones own problems isn't the answer, it's called racism.

Big yikes here. Have you had the opportunity to read anything about systemic racism? There is a great (very basic) paper by Dr. Camara Jones that gives a brief introduction to "types of racism". Read me! She relates it to health disparities, but it is a good introduction to the idea. I hope it prompts some introspection and further research.

Absolutely, no doubt, legitimate protest are hijacked everyday by anarchist. Unfortunately, as soon as the first glass is broken, or first spray can of paint comes out, it's no longer a protest. It's a riot. At that point, if the police tell the peaceful protesters to get off the street and they don't they should be arrested. And sorry, you can't let anarchy continue to protect peaceful protesters.

I’m done here before I get myself in trouble. Clearly you don’t see the problems. I’m a white male in my 20s. I have the world in front of me because of that. That’s a problem. All people should be on the same level especially in this country and they are not. This is much deeper than just the police too. That’s all I’m going to say.

This thread is supposed to be about the NBA after all.

I’m done here before I get myself in trouble. Clearly you don’t see the problems. I’m a white male in my 20s. I have the world in front of me because of that. That’s a problem. All people should be on the same level especially in this country and they are not. This is much deeper than just the police too. That’s all I’m going to say.

This thread is supposed to be about the NBA after all.

"All people should be on the same level especially in this country" Still not sure exactly what your talking about. At some point in American history, Japanese American's have been discriminated against, Chinese Americans have been discriminated against, Jewish Americans have been discriminated against. They all for the most part have become successful in this country. People from India, Pakistan, Egypt, Morocco, and other parts of the world with dark skin have become successful in this country. They're not white. It's time to stop the blame game and try to find out exactly what the problem is. The blame game unfortunately is the easy thing to do.

"All people should be on the same level especially in this country" Still not sure exactly what your talking about. At some point in American history, Japanese American's have been discriminated against, Chinese Americans have been discriminated against, Jewish Americans have been discriminated against. They all for the most part have become successful in this country. People from India, Pakistan, Egypt, Morocco, and other parts of the world with dark skin have become successful in this country. They're not white. It's time to stop the blame game and try to find out exactly what the problem is. The blame game unfortunately is the easy thing to do.
Not sure where I blamed anyone but whatever.

Back to the NBA bubble.

Back to the point of this thread, my husband and I spent our "date night" last night watching youtube videos of player in the bubble. It was such a kick getting to see glimpses of our favorite hotels.

Back to the point of this thread, my husband and I spent our "date night" last night watching youtube videos of player in the bubble. It was such a kick getting to see glimpses of our favorite hotels.

I’ve seen a few and it’s great to see their perspectives.... especially that they have families that they miss and care about. Like any profession there are always a couple bad apples. Unlike other professions where it’s understood, because the NBA is seen as a predominantly “black” sport, that justifies calling all of them a bunch of spoiled brats. I think I’m catching on now....

The interesting thing about the vlogs is that you see the wide range of players that are in the bubble. Even though they play the same sport, they are in such different phases of life. You have rookies who are turning 21 and seem so excited with a sense of wonder at free snacks and swimming pools. Then you have established veterans who seem to be drawn to the downtime and opportunities to perfect their golf game or fish all while trying to connect with their families at home.

All in all, there were several comments about how peaceful the view was at Gran Destino, how impressive the lobby was. There might be a few spoiled brats, but I am seeing far more showing gratitude and appreciation for their surroundings and the opportunity to play.

The interesting thing about the vlogs is that you see the wide range of players that are in the bubble. Even though they play the same sport, they are in such different phases of life. You have rookies who are turning 21 and seem so excited with a sense of wonder at free snacks and swimming pools. Then you have established veterans who seem to be drawn to the downtime and opportunities to perfect their golf game or fish all while trying to connect with their families at home.

All in all, there were several comments about how peaceful the view was at Gran Destino, how impressive the lobby was. There might be a few spoiled brats, but I am seeing far more showing gratitude and appreciation for their surroundings and the opportunity to play.
what a whitewash. Just like tom Sawyer.

This post should be removed. However, I guess I wouldn't expect any less, given your first response. No hate here, just pointing out inconvenient facts.

You literally said the “NBA is shoving BLM down our throats”. I don’t know how you consider THAT an acceptable statement, but take offense to someone calling you out on how that could be a loaded comment??

I actually implore the mods to clean up this thread or lock it.

FYI - I edited out my personal story because really, I have only witnessed the hurt and had it explained to me, but I can’t fully comprehend the injustices faced, or speak on it in a way that would not make it seem like I was focused on myself.

Last edited:
You literally said the “NBA is shoving BLM down our throats”. I don’t know how you consider THAT an acceptable statement, but take offense to someone calling you out on how that could be a loaded comment??

I actually reported that post. As someone who sees the daily struggle of a loved one because of the color of their skin, I found it incredibly hurtful. A man can get himself a good degree, a good job, a good car, and it doesn’t matter. He will still get pulled over WEEKLY because of the color of his skin, thinking he stole his car, is prowling his own neighborhood. Nevermind having his female companion, who happens to be white, asked if she’s ok when she’s pulled over with him. It’s soul crushing. But, you know, I’m sure it happens just as regularly to white men.

I actually implore the mods to clean up this thread or lock it.

I guess what I was referring to was, Disney is endorsing BLM in a big way. I was flipping channels the other day and a NBA game was on. I stayed on the channel maybe 3 seconds, but what was astounded to see was while the action of the game was going on, there were young people stationed, just standing in a complete circle around the court, 6 feet a part so the cameras couldn't miss them, all wearing black T-Shirts, with BLM in big block white letters on the front and back. Disney needs to get out of politics period. And I know you loved what the leader of the BLM movement said today, with regard to the night of looting down the miracle mile in Chicago. We don't mind the looting, we call it reparations. Those companies have insurance that will pay for it. LOOK UP HIS COMMENTS. Disney is endorsing these people and this was from their leader. First of all, most insurance claims are void for riots and anarchy and that kind of statement is just ignorant. Second many large corporations are self insured and who knows, these stores may never re-open and a large number of people who need the work may now be unemployed. Unfortunately most people never hear, or even worse, don't care to hear the real truth.

Last edited:
I guess what I was referring to was, Disney is endorsing BLM in a big way. I was flipping channels the other day and a NBA game was on. I stayed on the channel maybe 3 seconds, but what was astounded to see was while the action of the game was going on, there were young people stationed, just standing in a complete circle around the court, 6 feet a part so the cameras couldn't miss them, all wearing black T-Shirts, with BLM in big block white letters on the front and back. Disney needs to get out of politics period. And I know you loved what the leader of the BLM movement said today, with regard to the night of looting down the miracle mile in Chicago. We don't mind the looting, we call it reparations. Those companies have insurance that will pay for it. LOOK UP HIS COMMENTS. Disney is endorsing these people and this was from their leader. First of all, most insurance claims are void for riots and anarchy and that kind of statement is just ignorant. Second many large corporations are self insured and who knows, these stores may never re-open and a large number of people who need the work may now be unemployed. Unfortunately most people never hear, or even worse, don't care to hear the real truth.
I don't know why I take the bait.

Disney doesn't run the NBA. Not all NBA games are broadcast under Disney owned channels. Many people love to talk about free speech these days. Those shirts are part of that. Don't like it don't watch. I am enjoying every moment of the NBA bubble.

For some reason you still can't understand that there are real problems in this country that need to be resolved. The NBA players are doing their part to try and make those changes.

Just as people on the DIS podcasts say they have a platform that they can use. The NBA players are no different. This is their platform and they are allowed to use it.

I personally don't know anyone who gives a rats rear end about the NBA. Can't understand why Disney has made such a commitment. I know they have their highly devoted fan base, but nationwide, its relatively very small.

Disney was going to be empty. Disney owns ESPN. ESPN pays the NBA big $$$$$ to broadcast NBA games.....

BLM is a movement, not an organization, so it doesn’t have a “leader.” Only a group of 3 people who started the movement, one of which you are referring. The KKK is an example of an organization.....

BLM is a movement, not an organization, so it doesn’t have a “leader.” Only a group of 3 people who started the movement, one of which you are referring. The KKK is an example of an organization.....

So I was curious and asked Dr. Google. Black Lives Matter (BLM) is a decentralized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality and all racially motivated violence against Black people.[2] While Black Lives Matter can primarily be understood as a decentralized social movement, an organization known simply as Black Lives Matter[a] exists as a decentralized network with about 16 chapters in the United States and Canada. The broader movement and its related organizations typically advocate against police violence towards black people, as well as for various other policy changes considered to be related to black liberation.[7] So there is both a movement and an organization.

Now back to the basketball game talk. After reading the comments I thought wait how did we get here? What is this thread supposed to be about? I haven't seen many of the games because it is about midnight when I start looking for something to watch. I love watching basketball but I find the Pros aren't as fun to watch as the college teams. When they canceled March madness I was not happy. I was very excited when I heard there would be basketball this summer. (I don't watch most other team sports.) I really don't have a favorite basketball team I must watch all their games. What usually happens is I end up cheering for a team if they have members from my favorite college team on them (Go UK Cats!!) or Celtics because that's the closest team for where I live.

I don't know why I take the bait.

Disney doesn't run the NBA. Not all NBA games are broadcast under Disney owned channels. Many people love to talk about free speech these days. Those shirts are part of that. Don't like it don't watch. I am enjoying every moment of the NBA bubble.

For some reason you still can't understand that there are real problems in this country that need to be resolved. The NBA players are doing their part to try and make those changes.

Just as people on the DIS podcasts say they have a platform that they can use. The NBA players are no different. This is their platform and they are allowed to use it.

You must not be a Milwaukee Bucks fan. I can’t figure out what’s wrong with them. They need to figure it out before the playoffs start.

Please watch documentaries on the 1960s, what is happening today is no different to what was happening then. Why is america still having to fight for black equality nearly 60 years on? Why are police forces becoming more like paramilitary units? What kind of country has a electoral system than disenfranchises many sections of its population because the sitting president wants it.
I love visiting America, but, at the moment it is a big mess and like it or not, it is all down to the election of 2016 and I hope to goodness America learns it's lesson the electorate do the right thing in November. I know we aren't supposed to be political on here, but, sometimes...and it's not about any political party these days, it's about one individual who should be put way at the back of The Hall of Presidents where only the top of his comb over is visible

You must not be a Milwaukee Bucks fan. I can’t figure out what’s wrong with them. They need to figure it out before the playoffs start.
I am. They don’t have anything to play for right now so it’s just basically practice.

Unfortunately, the "Movement" has decided violence is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!